Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Chambliss, Mrs. Leopold Alexander (Anna Scott Yerkes) '50

1950 - 1951 Treasurer Book, Active: Chambliss, Leopold (no notation of payment. No notation of a "Mrs" or a "Miss")

1951 - 1952 Treasurer Book, Active: Chambliss, Leopold May 1951 June 1952

She was most likely related to the following PGC Members:

Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) McGee '22
Mrs. James R. (Emma Prentice McGee) Joy '33
Mrs. Harry Livingston (Susan M. Howell) McGee '18
Mrs. Josephus H. (Romaine Ray) Howell '22
Mrs. Wandell (Alice Joy) Mooney '47
Mrs. Murray (Helen Joy) Rushmore
Mrs. Townsend (Jean Murray) Rushmore '20
Virginia Rushmore ‘71

Bookplate with Leopold A. Chambliss name

http://sadburro.tumblr.com/post/1240468787/leopold-a-chambliss-bookplate-was-designed-in

Leopold A. Chambliss

Bookplate was designed in 1928 by H.Hubert. The quotation is from The Revolt Of The Angels by Anatole France

1909 Plainfield Directory

http://distantcousin.com/directories/nj/plainfield/1909/Pages.asp?Pages=082

Chambliss, John A. Rev. h.927 Central Avenue

Rev. John A. Chambliss 1912

Rev. John A. Chambliss, pastor of the First Baptist Church, Plainfield, NJ. has been elected president of the College for Women in Anniston, S.C.

Anna S. Yerkes Engaged New York Times March 13, 1927

ANNA S. YERKES'S BRIDAL.; Her Marriage to Leopold A. Chambliss in Plainfield, N.J., March 25.

Special to The New York Times. ();
March 13, 1927,
, Section EDITORIAL GENERAL NEWS, Page E8, Column , words http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20912F63E5B157A93C1A81788D85F438285F9

Rev. David John Yerkes The Standard 1900

Dr. and Mrs. D. J. Yerkes of Plainfield, N. J. celebrated their golden wedding Mar. 1. Dr. Yerkes has been pastor of the Plainfield Church since 1863. He has received 1,570 members during this period. Friends presented to the pastor and his wife $1,500 and numerous other presents

The McGees and the Yerkes

http://www.merklee.com/genealogy/CM/rr01_013.html#P5618

38. Walter Miller McGEE. Born on 27 Jan 1860 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 30 May 1952 in North Plainfield, NJ. Occupation: Standard Oil Company.

He married Mary Alice YERKES, daughter of Rev. David John YERKES & Sarah E. TAYLOR. Born on 13 May 1861 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 11 Jun 1949 in North Plainfield, NJ.

They had the following children:
i. Walter Vaughan. Born on 23 Jul 1884 in Plainfield, NJ. Died bef 30 May 1952. He married Florence WILDEY. Died in 1912.

ii. Alice Elizabeth. Born on 14 Feb 1891 in Plainfield, NJ. She married Herbert Sperry DUCRET.


39. Emma Prentice McGEE. Born on 9 Jul 1864 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 5 Apr 1934 in Plainfield, NJ.

She married James R. JOY.

They had the following children:
i. Alice. She married Wandell MOONEY.

ii. Helen. She married Murray RUSHMORE.


40. Adelaide Frances McGEE. Born on 10 Aug 1866 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 16 Sep 1958.

She married Herbert WELCH, son of Peter WELCH & Mary Louisa LOVELAND. Buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, NY.

They had the following children:
59 i. Dorothy McGee (1891-)
ii. Eleanor Loveland. Born on 3 Sep 1900 in Middletown, CT.

November 14, 1895 New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0911FE355911738DDDAD0994D9415B8585F0D3

PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED

In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital – Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success – The Booths.

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 – There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.

Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.

Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:

French Booth – Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.

Florentine Booth – Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.

Gypsy Booth – Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.

Venetian Booth – Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Haviland, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.

Japanese Booth – Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.

Spanish Booth – Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.

German Booth – Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.

Stationery Booth – Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.

Parisian Flower Stall – Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.

Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams

Courier News articles

Chambliss Anna Scott 3/9/1955 News
Chambliss Anna Scott 3/15/1958 News
Chambliss Anna Scott 5/2/1954 Annotation death
Chambliss Leopold A. 5/2/1934 News
Chambliss Leopold A. 5/25/1940 News
Chambliss Leopold A. 5/24/1941 News
Chambliss Leopold A. 8/17/1943 News
Chambliss Leopold A. 11/19/1951 News
Chambliss Leopold A. 10/1/1957 News
Chambliss Leopold A. 1/24/1970 Obituary
Chambliss Leopold A. n.d News

January 12, 1896 New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00914F9395515738DDDAB0994D9405B8685F0D3

A WEEK'S EVENTS IN PLAINFIELD.; Numerous Receptions – Doings of Clubs and Societies.

PLAINFIELD, Jan. 11. – A reception was given by Mrs. I C. Pierson of Watchung Avenue, Tuesday evening. She was assisted in receiving by her daughters, Mrs. Malcolm MacKenzie of New-York and Miss Mabel Pierson; Miss Corbitt of New-York, Miss Cochran of Wilmington, Del., and Miss Hunter of North Adams, Mass.

The members of the North Plainfield Dramatic Club were entertained at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James E. Bailey, Jackson Avenue, Tuesday evening. Among those present were Mr. and Mrs. Andrew E. Keneey, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Neeley, Mr. and Mrs. James Harper, Miss Mary Hughes, Miss Ellen Mullon, and Frank Off.

A Past Master's jewel was presented to Calvin H. Rugg of Jerusalem Lodge, F. and A.M., Tuesday evening. The same evening John J. Lynch, for several years President of the Plainfield Catholic Club, was presented with a gold-headed cane by the members of the club.

A. D. Shepard and family of the Gables have gone to Buckingham, New York, for the Winter.

The class of '96 of the North Plainfield school was entertained by Miss Emma and Miss Bertha Stevens Wednesday evening.

Mrs. John Valiant of Craig Place gave a reception and tea Wednesday. She was assisted in receiving by Mrs. H.K. Carroll, Mrs. A. A. Tafty, Mrs. F. H. Randolph, Miss Grace Carroll, Miss Bessie Valiant, Miss Florence Valiant, and Miss Mary Steiner.

The Park Club gave an entertainment Wednesday night at the clubhouse on Washington Avenue. The patronesses were Mrs. C. A. Reed, Mrs. Samuel St. John McCutcheon, and Mrs. J. H. Howell.

Miss Imogene See of Sing Sing, N.Y., is a guest of Mrs. Elmer E. Runyon of Madison Avenue.

Miss Eda Mills of Summit Avenue gave a party to her friends Wednesday night.

Miss Mollie Lawrence of New York and Miss Mather of Bound Brook are guests of Mr. and Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman of Crescent Avenue.

Miss Emily Coriell of Church Street is visiting in Brooklyn.

Miss Edith Allen of Webster Place is spending the Winter in Flushing.

Mrs. J. H. Ackerman and daughter, Lydia, have returned from a two month's trip to the Pacific coast.

Miss Randolph, daughter of Thompson F. Randolph of New-York, is visiting her sister Mrs. Judson Bonnell of East Front Street.

Mrs. Lewis of Binghampton, N.Y., is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Ginna of Watchung Avenue.

Miss Rachel Fay Buckley of Newburg, N.Y., and Harry Ellis Green of Plainfield were married Wednesday night at the bride's home.

Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Moore of Ithaca, N.Y., are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. George Squires of North Plainfield.

Miss Laura J. Runyon of East Fifth Street is visiting friends in Philadelphia.

Miss Harriet Loomis of New York City is a guest of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph E. Morse of Franklin Place.

Miss Josie Burlingham of Albany Normal College is a guest of ex-Councilman Seymore G. Smith of Crescent Avenue.

Miss Jennie Foster of New York and Howard Foster of Princeton Colelge are guests of D. N. Groendyke of Mercer Avenue.

Miss Helen L. Moore of New York is the guest of her sister Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, of Belvidere Avenue.

Miss Freeman of Rahway is visiting her aunt, Mrs. W. C. Ayres, of West Second Street.

Miss Baldwin of Baltimore has gone home, after a visit with her uncle Councilman J. H. Valiant of Craig Place.

Howell Division, no. 97, Sons of Temperance, celebrated its twenty-seventh anniversary Wednesday evening. AMong those present form the out of tow were A. P. Sutphen of Somerville, Grand Worthy Patriarch Ross Slack of Excelsior Division of Trenton, Past Grand Worthy Patriarch Fred Day of Newark and Worthy Patriarch Evenson of Newark, and Worthy Patriarch Evenson of Philadelphia. James J. Perine of Brooklyn is the only living charter member of the division.

Mrs. Yerkes, wife of the Rev. Dr. D. J. Yerkes of the First Baptist Church, has gone to Greenville, S.C., to visit a daughter.

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, who are making a tour around the world, are now at Hongkong.

duCret School of Art, 1030 Central Avenue, Plainfield, NJ

1954 Check Book

No. 1095
May 24, 1954
Garden Club of America
memorial to Anna Chambliss
$5.00

No. 1096
sent to Mr. LeRoy Clark
267 Chestnut St.
Englewood NJ
No. 1097
May 24, 1954
Garden Club of America
pension fund for Miss Margaret Boardman - Sec. to Conservation Chair
$10.00

No. 1097
May 24, 1954
Doane
6 Arborvitae less 20%
Formal garden
$52.80

Residence of Mrs. Walter Scott, 418 East Front Street

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.


publication circa 1917

Residence of Wm. H. Scott, 951 Seventh Avenue

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.


publication circa 1917

Residence of John Scott, 404 West Seventh Street

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.


publication circa 1917

First Park Baptist Church records at Plainfield Library

http://www.plainfieldlibrary.info/pdf/LH/LH_FirstBapDecAZ.pdf

Yerkes David J. 3/11/1905 Sarah E. Joseph B., Ida K.
ltr. First Bap. Ch.
Brooklyn NY
Yerkes Ida K. 0/0/1853 2/16/1866 10/9/1939 unknown, Sarah E. Yerkes, Davis J. (Rev.)
137 Crescent Ave.,209
E. 7th St., 831 Second
Pl., 733 Watchung Ave.
unknown, Sarah E
page 51 of 52
Plainfield Public Library First Park Baptist Church:
Deceased Files
Last Name First Name Maiden Name Birth Baptised Place of Death Death
Mother's
Maiden Name
Father's
Name Spouse 1 Children Addresses Spouse 2/Other
Yerkes Joseph B. (Mrs. Chambliss' father) 0/0/1856 2/3/1870 4/26/1933 unknown, Sarah E. (Mrs. Chambliss' mother) Yerkes, David J. (Rev.) Burgess, Anna Mrs. Leopold A. Chambliss, Geo. B. 1057 Central Ave.
Yerkes Sarah E. (Mrs.) 0/0/1826 5/2/1912 Yerkes, David J. (Rev.) Joseph B., Ida K.
ltr. First Brooklyn Bap.
Ch. NY

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. George B. Yerkes
1075 Central Avenue

1075 Central Avenue

From Plainfield Library

1934 J. Lloyd Grimstead
House at 1075 Central Avenue
Large colonial revival with four front dormers, projecting pediment over entrance, and enclosed porch at left side, George Yerkes.

1057 Central Avenue

From Plainfield Library

1934
J. Lloyd Grimstead
House at 1057 Central Avenue

Queen Anne style house with bracketed steep hip roof, multiple chimneys and projecting round bays, and awnings full front porch, partial view of garage.

1909 Plainfield Directory

Yerkes, Joseph B, oil, h. 1057 Central av

1928 Plainfield City Directory

Yerkes Geo B (Grace B) broker h1075 Central av
Yerkes Ida r209 E 7th
Yerkes Jos B 1057 Central av

May 14, 1983 Centennial The Wardlaw Hartridge School

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Related to the Yerkes Family

1904 Chronicle of the Yerkes Family

December 28, 2014

Local blogger Dan Damon wrote this article, Suspicious fire at historic Plainfield building, regarding a fire at the Samuel W. Rushmore building on South Avenue. Many Rushmore relatives have been members of the PGC including current Affiliate Member Ginny Rushmore.

To learn more about this prominent family, click on these member albums:

Rushmore, Mrs. Murray (Helen Joy)
Rushmore, Mrs. Townsend (Jean Betram Murray) '20
Joy, Mrs. James R. (Emma Prentice McGee) '33
Mooney, Mrs. Wandell McMaster (Alice Joy McGee) '47
Joost, Mrs. Sherman Brownell (Marie Murray) '19
Murray, Mrs. James Everett (Alice Marshall) '20
Roome, Mrs. John Stanton (Dolores or "Dody" Murray) '57
Tilney, Mrs. Albert Arthur (Augusta R. Murray) '20
McGee, Mrs. Harry Livingston (Susan M. Howell) '18
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22
Lockwood, Mrs. Frederick M. (Hazel Marshall) '52
Lockwood, Mrs. William L. (Amy M.) '25
Marshall, Mrs. Henry P. (Dorothy Burke) '30
Howell, Mrs. Josephus Halsey (Romaine Ray) '22
Chambliss, Mrs. Leopold A. (Anna Scott Yerkes) '50
Eddy, Mrs. Charles Brown (Ellen Coolidge Burke) '15

And through marriage on her husband's side, the late Mrs. Webster (Barbara Tracy) Sandford '50.

Plainfield firefighters responded early Saturday evening to a suspicious fire in a historic factory structure at South Avenue and Berckman Street.

The complex of three buildings, parts of which are over a hundred years old, most recently housed the Royal Apex Company, a manufacturer of gutters and other metal and plastic extruded products. The buildings have been vacant since 2007, when Royal Apex was bought out by Berger Building Products, Inc., and operations were moved to Pennsylvania.

Originally, the buildings housed the Rushmore Dynamo Works, owned by Plainfield entrepreneur and inventor Samuel W. Rushmore. Rushmore made his fortune in patents and manufacturing several key improvements in automobile technology.

Among his notable inventions – or improvements on those of others – are the automatic starter, cooling systems for internal combustion engines, the flared automobile headlamp, a searchlight, and locomotive headlights. At one time, half of all the automatic starters used in American automobiles were manufactured in the Plainfield location.

Rushmore sold the business in 1914 to the Bosch Magneto Company, with the proviso that the Rushmore name be used on its products for a number of years. When Bosch violated the terms of the agreement, Rushmore successfully sued (see here) for $100,000 (which would be over $2 million today).

Bosch, a German company with a U.S. branch, established a separate U.S. corporation, headquartered in New York City. Because of suspicions of its owners' loyalty, Bosch was nationalized in both the First and Second World Wars – with control returning to private hands in 1948.

Though several area fire companies responded to the blaze, it was quickly brought under control. A source told me the fire is suspected to be arson, a determination that will be made officially by arson investigators.

Ann Scott Chambliss Nevius

Ann Scott Nevius
Dec.13, 1931 - Nov.25, 2013

Ann Scott (Chambliss) Nevius, 81, a former resident of New Horizons in Woburn, and also a former resident of Redding, Connecticut, died Monday Nov. 25, 2013 in Concord, Mass. Born in Plainfield, New Jersey on December 13, 1931 she was the daughter of the late Leopold A. Chambliss and Anna (Yerkes) Chambliss. She was a graduate of the Hartridge School in Plainfield, New Jersey. Mrs. Nevius enjoyed summering in Nantucket for many years, and was a fond admirer of pets. Survivors include her two daughters. Ann Nevius of Carlisle, Mass. and Mary Nevius of Baltimore, Maryland.

May 21, 2014 Samuel Mauldin Chambliss

Samuel Mauldin Chambliss, who was a Ridgefield lawyer and owner of an enormous ranch in Zimbabwe, died on May 5, 2014 in Deland, Fla., following a severe stroke.

Born in Plainfield, N.J., on Dec. 15, 1929, the son of Leopold Alexander Chambliss and Anna Scott Yerkes, he graduated from Wilkes College, now known as Bucknell University, and earned his doctor of law degree at the University of Pennsylvania. He went on to earn his master of law degree in military law from the Judge Advocate General School at the University of Virginia. He then served in Germany as a captain in the JAG Corps of the U.S. Army. He received an honorable discharge from the United States Army Reserve in 1962.

After his military service, he moved his family to Chattanooga, Tenn., where he entered the private practice of law in 1957 at the Chambliss firm, co-founded by the grandfather he was named after. He later moved to Connecticut where he continued his legal practice in Westport before settling in Ridgefield, becoming a specialist in the emerging field of environmental law in which he received the Citizen Environmentalist of the Year Award in 1983.

He worked a lot in Redding, and he wrote the first draft of the state's Inland Wetlands Act at the request of the Department of Environmental Protection.

He married Janet Bavier Parris in 1979 and the couple visited Zimbabwe in 1983. In 1985 they purchased an 18,500-acre ranch in the middle of the country and moved there permanently in August 1987 when the the government asked them to be custodians of that country's endangered black rhino.

The Chamblisses and two neighboring landowners enclosed their property with an electric fence, creating a 60,000-acre preserve. Mr. Chambliss became one of only three non non-Zimbabwean "professional hunter and guides" licensed by the National Parks and Recreation Department to lead hunting parties, his family said.

"We've got zebra, waterbuck, kudu, impala, reedbuck, elands, and the tssessebe, which is the fastest antelope in the world," he told The Press in the late 1980s.

In 2003, Mr. Chambliss's family reports, the government of Zimbabwe expropriated the ranch and he and his wife moved to Gonubie, South Africa, in 2005.

In 2012 Mr. and Mrs. Chambliss moved to Deland, where Mr. Chambliss had been undergoing medical treatment. He died at the age of 84 with his wife and sons by his side.

He is survived by his wife of 35 years and his children: Patricia Chambliss Jacoway and her husband Michael Jacoway of Chattanooga, Tenn.; Samuel Mauldin Chambliss III and his wife Elizabeth Upshaw Chambliss of Atlanta, Ga.; James Alexander Chambliss and his wife Laura McInnes Chambliss of Atlanta, Ga.; his stepson R. Robert Parris of Ridgefield.; and his stepdaughter Linda Parris Farina and her husband Kevin Farina of Palmyra, Va. He is also survived by his grandchildren: Mary Cummings Jacoway; Michael Grayson Jacoway and his wife Ashton; Carter Chambliss Fawcett and her husband Will; Ansley Elizabeth Chambliss; Samuel Mauldin Chambliss IV; Jennie Terrell Chambliss; John Purcell Chambliss; Oris Emily Chambliss and two step-grandchildren, Alexander and Emily Farina.

A military memorial service will take place at a future date. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations to The Wounded Warriors Project or to a local hospice organization.

–by the staff

94 Main Street, Nantucket

"Every house has a history to tell, including 94 Main Street, one of the grandest of the historic homes on-island. Known affectionately as one of the Two Greeks, this stately house was constructed in the Greek Revival style and completed in 1847. The building of the house must have been an optimistic sign to islanders at a time when the whaling economy was suffering and the Great Fire had just destroyed a large portion of the town. The house was the last true mansion constructed by a prosperous whale-oil merchant. William Hadwen had built the other Greek house next door for himself and his wife, Eunice Starbuck, a year earlier, and appears to have refined the design to include domed spaces and more elaborate detailing. Local lore has it that the house was a gift for Mrs. Hadwen's niece, Mary Swain, and George Washington Wright, a Boston merchant who had married Mary in May of 1844 at the Unitarian Church. Hadwen retained ownership, but the house became known as the Wright Mansion, and it was soon filled with children, including Eunice, born in 1847; George W. Jr., born in 1848; and William, born in 1849.

The Wrights' tenure at the house was short-lived. Perhaps the rapid decline of Nantucket's economy or the California gold rush lured George Wright to San Francisco in 1849. He would become one of the leaders of the California territory, and when it became a state in 1850, he was among its first representatives in Congress.

Family members Eliza and Nathaniel Barney took up residence in 94 Main in the late 1850s and stayed on there into the 1860s. Barney was Hadwen's business partner and Eliza Barney and Eunice Hadwen were sisters. Coincidentally, the two sisters lived across Main Street from their three brothers, Joseph, William, and Matthew Starbuck, who occupied the Three Bricks. The Barneys were outspoken advocates for the leading issues of the day, which included the abolition of slavery, woman suffrage, and the temperance movement. They are probably best known, however, as the keepers of early family records. Their work still serves as the major source for genealogical research on-island.

It was not until William Hadwen's death in 1861 that the house came into legal possession of the Wright branch of the family, but Hadwen included a stipulation in his will that Nathaniel and Eliza could remain there for as long as they chose. Nathaniel died in 1869, and in the early 1870s Eunice would build her own architecturally imposing Main Street house–the large blue Victorian at 73 Main.

The Wright Mansion remained in the family until 1882 when it was sold to Isabella M. Coffin, wife of Allen Coffin, an avid newspaperman who later earned a law degree from Columbia and returned to the island to practice. Coffin was also a prolific author and genealogist who published an extensive history of the Coffin family in 1881. Coffin was long associated with the Prohibition Party, serving as its chairman and running as the party's candidate for governor of Massachusetts in 1896. Locally he served four terms on the Board of Selectmen.

In 1907 Coffin sold the house, to Eben Moore Flagg, a dentist and world traveler who served as honorary consul of Paraguay. Dr. Flagg was no stranger to Nantucket; his father was the well-known American artist George W. Flagg, who summered here, and his uncle, William Flagg, developed ‘Sconset's north bluff and constructed the first cottage near the lighthouse, called Flaggship. Eben set up his "modern" dental practice at 94 Main and resided there with his English-born wife, Henrietta, and daughter Louise. Curiously, his advertisements for his practice in the Inquirer and Mirror in the early years of the twentieth century note his former residence as 61 Fifth Avenue, New York, and his fluency in German, Portuguese, French, and Spanish. Henrietta held the house until her death in the 1920s, leaving it to three women she had befriended, including Anna Ward, formerly of the Ships Inn Grill Room, who served tea, lunch, and dinner in the "Old Wright Mansion" for a few years in the 1920s. The house was in poor repair, however, and debt forced a mortgagee sale. In 1927, the property was sold to banker Leopold Chambliss and his wife, Anna Yerkes Chambliss, of New Jersey. Anna retained the house after the Chamblisses divorced in the 1950s, and in 1962 it was sold by her children to John A. and Katherine (Tatina) Sherman Lodge of Brookline. Like several preceding owners, John Lodge was an attorney who worked in Washington, D.C., and Boston, and Tatina was a well-educated woman who grew up in Venezuela as the daughter of a geologist and crude-oil explorer. During the fifty-two-year Lodge ownership, their stewardship of the property and a love for the island's history was evident. Due to this a NPT Preservation Award was created in their honor. To learn more about the John A. and Katherine S. Stewardship Award and the NPT Preservation Awards click here.

Today the house awaits a new owner, but the rich history and the Lodge legacy will live on. The house is protected by a preservation easement (click here to learn about the NPT's preservation easements) that Tatina Lodge placed on the house in 2009 to ensure that not only its exterior, but its significant interior features will be preserved for future generations.