Member: Cox, Mrs. Fred Judson (Elizabeth Rand Adams) '35
1936 Treasurer Book Active: Mrs. Fred J. Cox 4/21/36 Paid
1937 Treasurer Book Active
Cox Frances Perkins Mrs. Archibald 1925 1931 1010 Rahway Road, Plainfield
Cox Julia Bulkley Mrs. Edward V. 1935 1938 1953 - died
1938 Treasurer Book: Mrs. Edw. V. Cox 1/15/38 Pd. 4/8/39 Pd
Mrs. Fred J. Cox 2/1/38 Pd.
Both names are crossed out and this notation is written in the margin "Resigned 3-11-39"
We had both Mrs. Edward Cox and Mrs. Fred Cox as joining the club in 1935.
Mrs. Fred Cox passed away November 9, 1950
Descendents of Robert Adams
Elizabeth Rand24 Adams (John Frederick23, John22, Joseph Henry21, John20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 21 January 1879 in Haverhill, Essex, MA and died 28 March 1968 in Plainfield, NJ. She married Fred J. Cox 10 October 1905 in Haverhill, MA; son of Charles Cox and Ann Trask. He was born 25 September 1880 in Maine, and died 08 February 1958 in Plainfield, NJ.
Notes for Elizabeth Rand Adams:
Information about this family was supplied by Elizabeth Adams Cox. The letters with this information are in the possession of Gareldine Adams, Albuquerque, NM. She taught cooking in the Haverhill schools before her marriage (1904).
Notes for Fred J. Cox:
President of the Boynton Bros. Insurance Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey at the time of his death. He was a Civil War Buff and directed that his ashes be scattered over Gettysburg National Battlefield in Pennsylvania.
Children of Elizabeth Adams and Fred Cox are:
i. Elizabeth Rand25 Cox, b. 24 October 1908, Perth, Amboy, NJ; d. 09 November 1950, Plainfield, NJ
ii. Robert Trask Cox, b. 04 June 1911, Perth, Amboy, NJ
iii. Richard N. Cox, b. 23 April 1916, Perth, Amboy, NJ
Elizabeth's father, John Frederick Adams
John Frederick23 Adams (JOHN22, JOSEPH HENRY21, JOHN20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 08 January 1853 in Boston, Essex, MA, and died 02 February 1926 in Haverhill, Essex, MA. He married Amie Batcheller Kelly 06 June 1876 in Haverhill, MA daughter of Amos Kelly and Elizabeth Batcheller. She was born 23 October 1855 in Haverhill, MA and died 26 February 1948 in Haverhill, Essex, MA.
Notes for John Frederick Adams:
DEATH: Records from newspaper clippings, Haverhill, MA
OBITUARY/OCCUPATION: Much of this information was sent to Gareldine Adams as Xerox copies of Haverhill, MA newspapers from Gregory Laing, librarian of the Haverhill Public Library. Harry (Henry) Adams, before his death gave Gareldine Adams information on his family, as did John Amos Adams.
PARENTS/EDUCATION: Information from notes taken in an interview with Elizabeth Rand Adams Cox in her home in 1966, and from notes given to Gareldine Adams by his wife, Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams.
Mr. Adams was born in Boston, MA, where he attended private schools. His father died when he was but 16 years old and his mother, supposedly, shortly after. At the age of 18, he came to Haverhill, MA where his father's sister lived. He resided in Haverhill, MA until his death.
He boarded with his Aunt, Mrs. J. E. Gale at "Buttonwoods" according to the Haverhill City Directory of 1872. Buttonwoods is now the home of the Haverhill Historical Society and is a museum. Mr. Adams worked as a teller in the Haverhill Savings Bank until 1889 when he opened a bicycle shop. In 1891, he took over the insurance business of his Uncle, Edward F. Adams who died. He has since been connected with the insurance business, although he also had a bicycle shop. Mr. Adams was always interested in bicycles and was among the first residents of this city to own one. He became a member of the Boston Bicycle Club in 1880. He also owned one of the first automobiles in the city, a steam driven one. There is a list of Haverhill automobile owners and he is listed in 1904 as the owner of an 8hp Knox, which he kept until 1908. In 1908, he is listed as owning a 20hp Oakland.
In 1889, the family was living at 35 Highland Avenue. In 1902, the place of residence is given in the city directory as 7 Richmond Street. In 1916, it is again listed as 35 Highland Avenue. They supposedly moved to Richmond Street when the house on Highland proved to be too small for their large family.
There is an interesting anecdote in regards to the Richmond Street house, as told by the Librarian, Gregory Laing. It seems they originally built the house with pillars and porch facing the street. After a bit, Mr. Adams had a feud with a neighbor across the street, and to show his displeasure, had the house picked up and turned around so that the back door faced the street. The front door still faces the back yard. (The house was built of wood, fortunately, and not brick.) In 1997, the pillars were gone and there is now a swimming pool in the back yard. The house has been turned into a duplex.
The Poll Tax list for the year 1895 lists J. Fred Adams, age 42; in 1902, it lists Adams, J. Fred as 48 years of age and Adams, Henry S. age 25. In 1905, J. Fred is 51, Henry S. is 28 and John A. is 22. J. Fred is listed as selling Insurance and bicycles. Henry is listed as a salesman and John A. as a clerk.
Mr. Adams is buried in the Kelly family plot, Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, MA.
Notes for Amie Batcheller Kelly:
Birth date was provided to Gareldine Adams by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams.
DEATH: Xerox copies of her obituary in the Haverhill, MA paper are in the possession of Geraldine Adams.
Amie graduated from Tilton Seminary, Tilton, NH. She graduated from La Salle University in 1874, which was unusual for that era. She was a member of the Haverhill Historical Society. She joined the Ladies Aid Society at the age of 10 years old. She was the daughter of Amos Sawyer Kelly and Elizabeth Bowler Batcheller.
Children of John Adams and Amie Batcheller are:
i. Henry Shaw24 Adams, b. 09 June 1877, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 09 July 1962, Chester, SC. m. Marie Clifford 21 September 1909, Union, South Carolina
ii. Elizabeth Rand Adams, b. 21 January 1879, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 28 March 1968, Plainfield, NJ; m. Fred J. Cox, 10 October 1905, Haverhill, Essex, MA
iii. Julia Marguerite Adams, b. 15 September 1881, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 14 February 1962, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Notes for Julia Marguerite Adams:
Personal notes from Elizabeth Cox Adams and J. Marguerite Adams. Death notice in the Haverhill, MA paper. The Haverhill Gazette, dated 29 September 1900 has a notice: "Miss Marguerite Adams, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Fred Adams of the Highlands, has entered the Normal School in Lowell, where she will prepare herself for kindergarten work." She taught school in the primary grades in Haverhill, MA, until her retirement. She lived in the family home at 35 Highland Avenue, Haverhill, MA from her birth until shortly before her death.
iv. John Amos Adams, b. 10 January 1883, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 27 July 1968, Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM; m. Helen Belle Shields, 16 July 1914, Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM
v. Ward Adams, b. 21 July 1884, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 07 November 1884, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Notes for Ward Adams:
Information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams before her death. Gravestone in the Adams family plot, Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, MA
vi. Faith Kelly Adams, b. 05 December 1885, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 08 December 1947, Haverhill, Essex, MA; m. Dr. Thomas Francis Capeles, 29 August 1918, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 10 February 1948, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Notes for Faith Kelly Adams:
Information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams before her death.
Notes for Dr. Thomas Francis Capeles:
Frank was a physician – an eye, ear, nose & throat specialist – in Haverhill, MA. He died in 1948. Although Frank was a member of the Catholic Church, he and Faith are both buried in Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, MA, Section Y, Lot 987
vii. Edward Frederick Adams, b. 26 December 1887, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 12 March 1961, Haverhill, Essex, MA; m. (1) Catharine Ruddock, 07 October 1916, Haverhill, MA; m. (2) Cecilia Flynn, Aft. 1919; m. (3) Ruth Sturdevant, Aft. 1920
Notes for Edward Frederick Adams:
Information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams before her death. He had an Insurance Agency in Haverhill, MA. The City Directory of 1919, Haverhill, MA shows him married to Catherine and as a clerk at 145 Essex Street. His residence is given as 80 Chestnut St.
viii. Arthur Rand Adams, b. 05 May 1891, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 11 November 1896, Haverhill, Essex, MA
ix. Amie Adams, b. 06 October 1893, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 25 November 1896, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Photo of Fred J. Cox:
President Fred J. Cox of Perth Amboy
September 14, 2011
Photo by S. Fraser
November 14, 1895
New York Times November 14, 1895
PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED
In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital – Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success – The Booths.
PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 – There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.
Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.
Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:
French Booth – Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.
Florentine Booth – Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.
Gypsy Booth – Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.
Venetian Booth – Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Havbiland, Mrs. Samuel Huntingont, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.
Japanese Booth – Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.
Spanish Booth – Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.
German Booth – Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.
Stationery Booth – Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.
Parisian Flower Stall – Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.
Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams
Plainfield Public Library
February 28, 2010
Time of the Model T, 1920.
A photo, taken in Plainfield in 1920, shows Gertrude E. Adams Vail and her driver sitting in a Model T Ford. The car, which started by crank, was modified with skis in the front and chains on rear tires for better driving in the snow. The gas tank was moved form under the front seat to the rear, giving more traction and making it easier to fill. The Vail family was prominent in Plainfield beginning in the 1600s.
Photo #VV60207 - Part of the Marjorie & Roger Vail Collection
1901 Directory of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution
1. Continental Chapter - Plainfield
Organized January 23, 1896; Members, 36 (New York, 2; Kentucky, 1)
Regent, Mrs. C. W. McCutchen
1st Vice-Regt., Mrs. Rowland Cox
2nd Vice-Regt., Miss Eliza E. Kenyon
Secretary, Mrs. J. Kirtland Myers
Treasurer, Mrs. J. G. Foster
Registrar, Mrs. D. H. Rowland
Residence of Henry Adams, 934 Park Avenue
In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.
The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.
With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.
publication circa 1917
1920 Social Register
Cox, Mrs. and Mrs. Archibald (Frances B. Perkins) H.'96
Ph. No. 973 . . 1415 Watchung Avenue, Plainfield, N.J.
Cox, Mr. and Mrs. Edw Vermilye (Julia Bulkley) Y '94 Cl. '95
Ph. No. 1895 . . . 150 East 7, Plainfield, N. J.
Cos, Mrs. (Rowland) (Fanny Cummins Hill) Dar. Cd.
Ph. No. 53 . . . .310 West 7th, Plainfield, N. J.
Cox. Mr. Robert H. * H. '05
Juniors: Cox, Mr. Rowland
Cox, Mr. and Mrs. W. Rowland (Gertrude Potter) Bg
Short Hills, N. J.
1909 Plainfield Directory
COX ARCHIBALD, lawyer, h 310 W 7th
Cox Charles D, driver, h 188 Grove, N. P.
Cox Chester W, machinist, h. 727 W 3d
Cox, Edward E, civil engineer, h. 967 Madison av
Cox, John*, ashman, h 318 Berckman
Cox Robert H., 310 W 7th
COX ROWLAND MRS. h 310 W 7th
December 11, 2013 Gathering of the Greens at Hillside
December 11, 2013 Gathering of the Greens at Hillside
Mary Cleveland Perkins Olmsted
February 6, 2014
Martie Samek shared with Sally Booth the October 2013 issue of the Roxbury Latin alumni magazine. Why? Because there was a wonderful article on Shakespeare Garden creator, Frederick Law Olmsted Jr.
Frederick Jr. was a graduate of Roxbury Latin and the son of famed landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, creator of many of our nation's green spaces, perhaps most famous for the creation of Central Park.
Designing Shakespeare Gardens was not standard practice of the Olmsted firm. Olmsted and his sons were known for grand scale parks featuring vistas and monuments. How did it come to be that Plainfield possesses such a garden, designed no less by the Olmsteds?
When your Editor joined the PGC in 1997 she asked this very question to a much older member of the Club. The answer was not "Oh, it was just part of the Union County Park System that the Olmsteds were designing at the time." (A standard reply from local Olmsted researchers) Instead, the answer from this 75+ year-old member was, "Oh, someone here knew HIM."
"Him" would have to have been Frederick Jr. as his father had passed away by 1927. Doing research into our members has certainly proven they were the "movers and shakers" of the Gilded Age and post-Gilded Age period. Our members knew many of the most famous people of that time – All the US Presidents, Longfellow, Caruso, Mary Pickford and on and on.
But there has never been a connection to Olmsted – until now. On the second page of the Roxbury Latin article is a photograph of Frederick Jr.'s mother – Mary Cleveland Perkins Olmsted. Perkins. Of course. Mary was a member of the large Perkins clan which includes many PGC members. Perhaps Frederick Jr. did a favor for his cousins?
To learn more about the PGC Perkins members:
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49
Cox, Mrs. Archibald (Frances Perkins) '25
Cox, Mrs. Edward Vermilye (Julia Bulkley) '35
Cox, Mrs. Fred J. (Elizabeth Rand Adams) '35
Day, Mrs. Thomas Mills (Anne Perkins Smith) '16
It is also rumored that the Olmsted Landscape Architecture firm designed several gardens for private residences in Plainfield. One in particular – Mrs. Van Boskerck's garden on Prospect. This garden was included by the PGC into the Smithsonian Archives of American Gardens. However, we have NO photos or documentation about the garden. Although noted by the AAG – they post nothing online. Yet another GH&D Plainfield mystery to solve.
Other stories we have done on Olmsted (with more information about the genesis of the Shakespeare Garden):
October 17, 2012 Olmsted Lecture by Jeanne Kolva
October 17, 2012 Olmsted Lecture by Jeanne Kolva – edited
Thanks for sending this in Martie & Sally!
August 28, 2014 Evarts Tracy
Email today from the Drake House:
There is a Netherwood House Tour on September 14, 2014, from 1-5PM. Details are on the attached flyer. [See Below]
One of the homes was designed by Evarts Tracy, architect. He also built the old Muhlenberg Hospital and the old Plainfield Police Station, and was the pioneering camouflage officer for the US government during WWI. It is spectacular on the outside.
Thank you for your support of Plainfield.
Historical Society of Plainfield
The Tracy Family had many many family members in the Plainfield Garden Club. They included:
Tracy, Mrs. Evarts '22
Tracy, Mrs. Howard Crosby (Minerva Bingham Lamson) '15
Tracy, Mrs. J. Evarts (Caroline Frederica Streuli) '22
These three women open the doors for many more familial Plainfield relations which include the Cox, Streuli and Perkins clans. The Tracy family also boasts a special architectural & artist relationship to Mrs. Mead. In fact, there should be a home tour just using these families' abodes!
The Tracy family lived at 1009 Hillside Avenue – which sits directly behind 1330 Prospect Avenue which is currently owned by Shakespeare Garden helper Virginia Carroll.
Interestingly enough, 1330 Prospect Avenue was said to have been built by Mrs. Streuli, who lived on the next block of Hillside at #1035. Mrs. Streuli also lived at 1331 Prospect Avenue. Yes, that's correct – the next house over! Mrs. Streuli's daughter, PGC member Caroline, married the Tracy boy at 1009 Hillside and well, lets just say, Caroline didn't get too far from both her PGC mother and mother-in-law. Did she have any choice about joining the PGC!?!
Eight homes in Netherwood are photographed on the flyer – does anyone know the addresses? It would be interesting for all of us to see if they once belonged to one of our members!
Netherwood Heights Tour of Homes September 14, 2014
To help you figure out WHO lived WHERE consult our "Home & Garden" page.
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership