Member: Tweedy, Mrs. Bronson (Mary Louise King) '46
1946 - 1947 Treasurer Book, Juniors: Mrs. Bronson Tweedy July Pd. ?
Mrs. Bronson (Mary Louise King) Tweedy '46 mother was Mrs. Charles A. King '36 who lived at 930 Central Avenue, Plainfield NJ
Also related to the following PGC Members:
King, Mrs. Victor R. King (Elizabeth) '48, President 1953 - 1956
King, Mrs. Victor E. D. (Yasmina S.) '78
Also related to the following PGC Members:
Fargo, Mrs. Alvin W. (Margaret Morse) '27
Mellick, Mrs. George Phelps (Ella Hartley) '15
Mellick, Mrs. Roger Drew (Catharine Whiting Ginna) '28
Possibly related to:
Browne, Miss Elizabeth B. '37
MacLeod, Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) '55
Timpson, Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring) '15
Waring, Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) '35
July 23, 2004 Vineyard Gazette
Mary Louise Tweedy, 89, Summered on the Island
Mary Louise King Tweedy died on July 16 of a viral infection complicated by pneumonia. Painlessly and quietly, she died at Sibling Hospital surrounded by her family.
Mary Louise was born July 12, 1915 in Plainfield, N.J., to Helen Rymn and Charles A. King. She was graduated in 1934 from Dana Hall in Wesley. She became engaged to Bronson Tweedy of London, England, and class of 1937 at Princeton. They were married in Plainfield on Jan. 4, 1940. After her husband's service in the Navy, Mary Louise accompanied him on his assignments abroad with the CIA including Bern, Switzerland; Vienna, Austria, and twice in London, England.
Mary Louise was a member of the Junior League for more than 50 years and did volunteer work including over 20 years with the Red Cross blood bank and later with the Friends of Music at the Smithsonian.
Mrs. Tweedy summered on Martha's Vineyard for more than 30 years with her husband and family. Bronson and M'Lou owned a house on the Vineyard and were members of the Edgartown Golf Club and the First Congregational Church in West Tisbury.
In addition to her husband of 64 years, she is survived by her son, Lawrence; her daughter, Anne Tiffany; son in law, James Tiffany, and two grandchildren, James Bronson and Heather Anne Tiffany.
Mary Louise Tweedy Volunteer
Mary Louise King Tweedy, 89, a Chevy Chase resident who formerly did volunteer work for the American Red Cross blood bank and the Friends of Music program at the Smithsonian Institution, died July 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had pneumonia.
Mrs. Tweedy was born in Plainfield, N.J. She had a home in the Washington area starting around 1950 and accompanied her husband on his occasional CIA assignments abroad.
She was a member of the Junior League and St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Washington.
Survivors include her husband of 64 years, Bronson Tweedy of Chevy Chase; two children, Lawrence Tweedy of Albuquerque and Anne Tiffany of Leesburg; a brother; and two grandchildren.
Charles A. King Jr. -- Mary's brother
King, Charles A.
June 28, 2005
KING, Charles A.
Charles Arthur King, 78, of Avon, died Sunday, (June 26, 2005), at Hartford Hospital, after a brief illness. A 55-year resident of Avon, he was born in Plainfield, NJ, son of the late Charles A. and Helen (Ryman) King. He graduated from Andover Academy in 1945 then served in the US Navy during World War II. After the war, he then graduated from Princeton University in 1950, and earned his Master of Architecture from Yale University in 1953. He practiced architecture in the Hartford area for many years until his retirement in 1996. His office in Avon, King & Tuthill Architects, now Tuthill & Wells, designed many churches, libraries, commercial buildings, and houses throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts. He and his family lived in the first house he designed in Avon. Chas, as he was affectionately known, was a longtime and faithful friend of Bill W. A talented watercolorist, his work was exhibited widely in the Hartford area and beyond. He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church, Tariffville and served on the Board of Church Home, Inc., (Seabury Retirement Community) for over 20 years, retiring a few months ago. He was an enthusiastic fly fisherman and served recently on the board of the Limestone Trout Club in Canaan. He leaves his wife of 55 years, Louine Coley (Brown) King, and their four children: The Rev James C. King and his wife Deborah of Cape Elizabeth, ME, Jonathan W. King and his wife Mary Ellen of Prospect, Linda King Papertsian and her husband Robert of Rocky Hill, and Heather King Taylor of Burlington; his grandchildren Jesse, Jason, Katherine, Eric, and Ian King, Sarah and Lisa Papertsian, and Daniel and Cerise Taylor; and his great grandchildren Justin, Niko, and Emma King. He was predeceased by a sister, Mary Louise Tweedy. Friends are invited Tuesday from 7-9 p.m. to share their memories and special times with Chas at the Carmon Funeral Home, 301 Country Club Road, corner of West Avon Road, Avon. The Eucharist funeral service will be held on Wednesday, June 29 at 2 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church, Church Street, Tariffville. Burial will be in Cider Brook Cemetery at the convenience of the family. Instead of flowers, the King family would be delighted to hear that friends have taken a special picnic excursion with their families, in memory of their friend Chas King. For condolences please visit carmonfuneralhomes.com.
Louise Kendall Morse Tweedy
SAN ANGELO Louise Kendall Morse Tweedy passed away at her home at the Tweedy Ranch on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 surrounded by her family. Louise was born June 9, 1921 in Plainfield, New Jersey. She was the youngest daughter of Lorine May Cross Morse and Edward Kendall Morse.
Louise's education began at Hartridge School in Plainfield and continued with Miss Porter's School in Farmington, Connecticut. As a young adult she attended a cooking school in New York City. She worked as an assistant x-ray technician and helped with physical therapy at Muhlenburg Hospital in Plainfield. Louise enjoyed mechanical drawing and drew blueprints for the engineering department of International Motors. Additionally, she was a member of the Junior League of Plainfield, New Jersey. She was also a member of the twentieth century club.
Louise spent her early years at East Hampton, Long Island; Crystal Lake in Carbondale, Pennsylvania and Nantucket, Massachusetts. She attended youth camp in Vermont.
Louise lived in Plainfield until her marriage to Andrew Mellick Tweedy of Knickerbocker, Texas. They were married in Plainfield at the Grace Episcopal Church on November 10, 1945. They moved to Knickerbocker where Andrew was managing the Tweedy family ranch. Louise quickly adapted to her new environment of West Texas and began helping Andrew with daily tasks on the ranch. She enjoyed horseback riding and later passed on her passion for the sport to her children. She was also a wonderful host. Due to her warm hospitality, the Tweedy home at Knickerbocker was a comfortable, inviting place for friends and relatives to relax and enjoy hours or days of conversation and recreation.
From 1954-1956, she volunteered time at the Knickerbocker school as a substitute teacher, theatrical properties mistress and helped organize events for school programs. In 1956, Louise and Andy moved to San Angelo while her daughters attended San Angelo schools returning to Knickerbocker in 1963. She was active with scouting programs for her daughters. She volunteered for the Young Women's Service League.
Louise was a competitive person and enjoyed games. She engaged her time playing bridge with her dear friends. She was an avid golfer and served as president of the Women's Golf Association in 1966. In 1972 and 1975, she won the Women's Championship at the San Angelo Country Club.
Louise followed her father and husband as a skilled marksman and enjoyed hunting ducks, dove, and quail. She, also, loved to fish on Dove Creek and the Gulf Coast.
Louise was preceded in death by her husband Andrew Mellick Tweedy, her sisters, Mary Lorine Morse, Margaret Morse Fargo, her brother in law Alvin W. Fargo, brother in law John B. Tweedy, and sister in law, Elizabeth T. Sykes.
Louise is survived by her daughters, Barbara Vannan Tweedy of San Angelo, Patricia Tweedy Wagner and her husband, Logan Wagner of Austin, and Sandra Mellick Tweedy of Knickerbocker and her granddaughter Eugenia Fenn Wagner of Austin. Her nieces, Lorine Fargo and Jane Fargo of Edison, New Jersey. A nephew Alvin Fargo and his wife Sara of Kentfield, California. Della Messer, her dear friend and companion. Her in laws: Dr. Edwin Sykes of San Angelo and Mardie Tweedy of Denver, Colo. Also numerous cousins and their spouses: Phil and Anne Ardery of Louisville, KY, Helen Tweedy of Silverdale, Wa, Barbara Flowers of Marina del Ray, CA. Also, Anne and Morris Reese of San Angelo, Edwin Sykes of San Angelo, Mellick and Barbara Sykes of San Antonio, Tx, Drew Sykes of Knickerbocker, Tx., Joe and Melinda Waring and Eva and Lee Horton of San Angelo, Charles and Diana Waring of Dallas, Tx., Richard Waring of Houston, Tx., Julie Ardery and Bill Bishop of Austin, Tx, Sarah and David Manning and Katherine Tweedy and Gerald Nelson of Denver, Co., Christopher and Susan Tweedy of Denver Co., John and Beret Tweedy of Boulder, Co. and their mother, Helen Chenery; Ryland and Pam Howard of San Antonio, Tx. and many more loved cousins, nieces and nephews.
Honorary pallbearers are Helen McAshan, Virginia Holland, Mary Kennemer, Charlene Stokes, Wanda Hagan, Odalia Martinez, Anne Reese, Eva Horton, Julie Ardery, Melinda Waring, Kate Tweedy, Lanna Duncan and Leslie Wilkenson.
A special appreciation is extended to Dr. Chris Barnett who was an encouraging advocate for Mother. Louise was also devoted to Lita Alamany and Eva Palacios for their weekly understanding and support.
A memorial service will be held at 11AM Saturday, May 19, 2012 at Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Arrangements are by Johnson's Funeral Home.
Memorials may be made to Knickerbocker Community Center ( P.O. Box 111, Knickerbocker, Tx, 76939) Baptist Memorial Hospice , Emmanuel Episcopal Church or a charity of choice .
.Published in GoSanAngelo from May 18 to May 20, 2012
January 28, 2006 Elizabeth Ragnhild Tweedy Sykes
Elizabeth Ragnhild Tweedy Sykes passed away on January 28, 2006 in San Angelo, Texas. She was the proud and gentle matriarch of a family that prospered under her love, energy, wisdom and devotion.
She was born October 22, 1918, in Portovello, Ecuador, a small town in the Andes, her father serving then as General Manager of a gold mine there. Her father was Andrew Mellick Tweedy of Knickerbocker, Texas; her mother Florence Dahl Tweedy, an R.N., was a third generation Norwegian-American of Washington State. ElizabethÂ's childhood was filled with fascinating experiences, including travel through Indian country on a tributary of the Amazon River. In childhood she developed partial deafness, thought to have been secondary to anti-malarial medications. She became exceptionally proficient at lip reading. Her education in Ecuador was through the Calvert Course, designed for the children of American parents serving overseas. It was taught by a teacher brought to Portovello from America. For high school, she was sent to Hartridge School, a private girlÂ's school in Plainfield, New Jersey, hometown of the Tweedy family. She was President of the Student Council and recipient of the Â"HÂ" Medal awarded to the outstanding member of her graduating class. She graduated from Vassar College, Class of 1940.
She had a strong interest in anthropology and in the 1930Â's identified several significant Pre-Columbian artifacts in the American West.
Her grandfather, Joseph Mellick Tweedy, was a pioneer West Texas rancher who, in 1877, established with three New Jersey friends, the TweedyÂ–Knickerbocker Sheep and Cattle Ranch in Tom Green County. It is still operated by Tweedy family descendants. He was an organizer and first president of the Wool Growers Association, antecedent of the Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers Association.
During World War II she returned to Texas where she met Captain Edwin M. Sykes Jr., Medical Corps, stationed then in the hospital at the San Angelo Army Air Force Bombadier School. They were married January 29, 1944, at St Marks Episcopal Church in San Antonio, Dr. SykesÂ' home town. After the ending of World War II and the completion of his surgical training, they settled in San Antonio. Upon his retirement in 1992 they moved to San Angelo and the Knickerbocker Ranch.
She was pre-deceased by her son, Thomas James Sykes, her brothers Andrew Mellick Tweedy, Jr. and John Bayard Tweedy, a sister-in-law Maria Margaret Sykes and her beloved cousins Katherine Tweedy Waring and Joseph Lord Tweedy of San Angelo.
She is survived by her husband of 62 years, four children, ten grandchildren, one great grandchild; a sister-in-law, Louise Morse Mrs. Andrew Tweedy; and a brother-in-law Dr. John H.J. Sykes of San Antonio.
Her surviving children are daughter Anne Bayard Sykes Reese & husband Morris Marcus Reese Jr, and their daughters Elizabeth Nickelson Reese Mrs. Christopher Haine, and Rachel Lantrip Reese Mrs. Michael Trulove; son Edwin Meredith Sykes III, his former wife Linda Moody and their children Sally Dahl Sykes Mrs. Owen Brainard, Edwin Meredith Sykes IV, Elizabeth Anne Bayard Sykes Mrs. Brent Rains, and Mary Janice Moody Sykes Mrs. Eric Reisdorf; son Dr. Mellick Tweedy Sykes and wife Barbara Taylor and their children Taylor Meredith Sykes Mrs. William Bowles, Mellick Tweedy Sykes, Jr., James Maestri Sykes and Anne Riordan Sykes; and son Andrew Drew Greenhow Sykes.
In San Angelo, she was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church and the Junior League. In San Antonio, she was a member of Our Reading Club, Military-Civilian Club, and the Junior League of San Antonio. She was a volunteer at Planned Parenthood of San Antonio and Sunshine Cottage, a school for deaf children. She also served on the Board of the Good Samaritan Center of San Antonio.
1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary
Miss M. E. Tweedy
125 Crescent Avenue
Knickerbocker, Texas "Tweedy Ranch"
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Tweedy
The town was once second only to San Angelo in size and political influence in the county after Ben Ficklin was washed away in the great flood of the Concho River. The name comes from two of the town's early settlers who were related to Washington Irving, the American writer who was at the peak of his popularity at that time. (Diedrich Knickerbocker was the fictitious narrator of Irving's History of New York). In 1875 the three Baze brothers donated land for a church, school, and cemetery on the northwest side of Dove Creek. They installed an irrigation ditch to grow hay, and melons to sell to the Fort Concho soldiers. In 1877 Joseph Tweedy, J. Barlow Reynolds and the Grinnell Brothers drove their herds of sheep from their camp near Brackettville. They established the Knickerbocker ranch / store on the SE side of Dove Creek. A post office was opened in 1881. In the 1880s the Tweedy Mercantile Company dealt in oats, wheat, and corn. Second only to the crops was sheep production. After a collapse in wool prices, the original settlers left, leaving only J.Tweedy. He platted a town site on his land, and set up his own irrigation company for farms along Dove Creek. Stephen Dexter Arthur planted cotton as an experiment in 1887 and produced Knickerbocker's first bale. The ruins of his water-driven gin can be seen near the bridge at Dove Creek. Arthur built a Methodist church on land donated by Joseph and Elizabeth Tweedy. In 1889 the town relocated to a site with better water. The town had twenty-five residents in 1884, fifty in 1890 but by the late 1890s the population had swollen to 250. During its boom times, Knickerbocker seemed to have two of everything. The town had two gins, two saloons, two blacksmiths, two hotels and two stores. It also had an undertaker - just one. Knickerbocker also had an early sanitarium since doctors all across the country were sending people to drier climates. Later, nearby Carlsbad became a huge facility for tuberculosis patients. Knickerbocker's adobe store / post office, built in 1896 remained standing until 1936. Knickerbocker got its first school, in 1889 and a school for Mexican children six years later. A lawless element hung out near Knickerbocker and two members of this group staged a train robbery near Sanderson, Texas. A brick school built in 1926, served until the school consolidations of the 1950s. In 1956 Knickerbocker merged with Christoval.
Sign Reads: Knickerbocker
Attracted by irrigable land and the available water supply in Dove Creek, farmers, sheepmen and cattlemen came to this area in the 1870's. First to arrive were the Baze Brothers, who dug an irrigation ditch in 1875 to grow melons and hay for nearby Fort Concho. Others soon followed, including cattlemen Joseph Schmidt, cotton farmer S. D. Arthur and the Ryan Martinex, Jaques Villareal, Soto Byer, Atkins, Beck, Duncan, Foster and Etheridge families. In 1877 New Yorkers Morgan and Lawrence Grinnell, Joseph Tweedy and L.B. Reynolds drove their sheep into the valley. They named their rand headquarters after Washington Irving's character Diedrich Knickerbocker.
The Knickerbocker post office was established in 1881. In 1889 the town was moved to a location just south of the original site in order to tap a new water supply. By 1890 the settlement had stores, hotels, saloons, blacksmith shops, two churches and two schools.
As was typical of many west Texas burial areas, Knickerbocker declined with the advent of the automobile and improved road systems. Farmers left to find work in San Angelo (18 ??) that settelers of Knickerbocker. However, left a rich heritage. Many of their descendants still live in the area
The Knickerbocker Ranch Photo courtesy Hiram Joel Jacques
The E.M. Grinnell House Photo courtesy Hiram Joel Jacques
Knickerbocker residence Photo courtesy Fort Concho Museum
Human Flower Project
Is there a plant scientist among the limbs of your family tree? What kinds of fruit do botanists bear?
Tweedy's Willow (Salix tweedyi): Thanks, Uncle Frank!
Image: State of Washington
Is there a gene for botanical talent? John Bartram seems to have passed it on to son William. There were the famous Hookers, father William and son Joseph, who both directed the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew. And the Millers: Philip of the Chelsea Physic Garden and his son Charles, who became first Curator of the Cambridge Botanic Garden (1762).
On the eve the Tweedy family reunion out in Knickerbocker, Texas, this weekend, we are elated to have found a botanist-ancestor to call our own: Frank Tweedy (1854-1937). He worked for the U.S. Geological Survey in the late 19th century, exploring and collecting mainly around Yellowstone National Park, and several species from Washington State and the Rockies bear proof.
Cisanthe tweedyi (formerly known as Lewisia tweedyi) is all anyone could want for bragging rights. This beauty, native to Washington's Cascades, is "valued by many experts as the world's premier rock garden plant." (Sounds like something alpine gardeners could debate long into the night.) Marc Dilley writes:
"It was named after Frank Tweedy, a U.S. Geological Survey botanical collector who made the first ascent of Mt. Stuart on August 5, 1883. Much of L. tweedyi's renown is due to its extravagant bloom."
Tweedy’s pussypaws (Cisanthe tweedyi)
Some call it "the world's premier rock garden plant"
Photo: Patent Pending Blogs
This same plant‘s also known as Tweedy's pussypaws, Tweedy's bitterroot, and Tweedy's lewisia – our favorite, since it portends beloved relative Louise Tweedy.
But there are more:
Cascade Reedgrass (Calamagrostis tweedyi)
Tweedy's Willow (Salix tweedyi).
Tweedy's Snowlover (Chionophila tweedyi)–"found in snow beds in the alpine of central Idaho and SW Montana. Its one-sided inflorescence make identification easy."
Frank Tweedy was a younger brother of Joseph Tweedy, our great-grandfather. One went North, one went South, but both were utterly determined to leave Plainfield, New Jersey, and strike out for the great, mysterious country of the West.
Joseph and his partners were pioneering sheep ranchers along Dove Creek, near what's now San Angelo, Texas. He and his wife Elizabeth Mellick had four children, and about 100 of their descendants will be gathering this weekend at the adjoining Knickerbocker and Tweedy ranches.
So far as we know, Frank never married or bore children. He was "one of those early unsung heroes of American mountaineering," exploring much of the mountain northwest, sending many alpine specimens back to Philadelphia for study, and writing "the eclectic booklet "Flora of the Yellowstone National Park" (1886). The aforementioned plants, at least, bear his name, as does the highest point in Montana's Pioneer range.
Uncle Frank might have inherited his talent for botany from one of his parents – Oliver Burr Tweedy or Maria Lord. If so, sadly, it wasn't passed on to Joseph or to us. But genealogy, a rather telescopic form of a naval gazing and one-or-more-off method of self-aggrandizement, is also a numbers game. Among the 100 or so Tweedys to gather this weekend, we hope to find one, at least, inspecting agarita berries or squatting to observe a wildflower beside the Byler Spring.
SAN ANGELO, Texas – KNICKERBOCKER – Joseph Tweedy, accompanied by three businessmen – Edwin Morgan Grinnell, Lawrence Grinnell and Barlow Reynolds – from New York City, brought the second flock of sheep to newly created Tom Green County in the mid-1870s and herded the "woollies" on land leased near Dove Creek.
They named the settlement Knickerbocker after a character in a book by Washington Irving, said Andrew Greenhow "Drew" Sykes, Tweedy's great-grandson. The partners had mutually shared a background of summer residences in the vicinity of Tarrytown, N.Y., where they were friends of Washington Irving and his family.
Knickerbocker is about 10 miles southwest of San Angelo.
"Joseph Tweedy's family was in the wool merchandising business in New York City, and he decided to come to Texas and grow wool and ship it back east. The three men who came west with him were investors and returned to the East Coast." Sykes said.
They arrived in Galveston by boat, traveled by stagecoach to San Antonio and headed first to what is now Uvalde and Del Rio by horseback. Acquiring sheep along the way, they had a sizable herd when arriving near San Angelo.
According to a memorandum, the four travelers found attractive lands drained by three spring-fed streams – Spring Creek, the South Concho River and Dove Creek – which they later acquired by purchase or lease. The land totaled approximately 150,000 acres, which stretched from Spring Creek on the west, across Dove Creek and east to the South Concho.
Sometime between 1885 and 1900, Reynolds and the Grinnell brothers withdrew from the partnership and Joseph Tweedy became sole proprietor of the ranch.
Tweedy married Elizabeth Ayres Mellick, also born in New York City, and brought her to the ranch, where their four children were born.
The four children each inherited a one-fourth interest in the estate in 1928. After World War II, the property became known as the Tweedy Ranch Co.
Sykes' grandfather, Andrew Mellick Tweedy, acquired 8,000 acres in 1940 and later added another 640 acres.
"My mother, Elizabeth Tweedy Sykes, acquired 3,000 acres in 1994. I came here as the manager of the Knickerbocker Ranch in 1998. I am the youngest of five children," Drew Sykes said.
Drew's uncle, Andrew Mellick Tweedy Jr., managed the ranch from 1945 till his death in 1991. In 1995, Louise Tweedy (wife of Andrew Mellick Tweedy Jr.) and Elizabeth Tweedy Sykes brought out John B. Tweedy's share, and the ranch was divided between Louise Tweedy and Elizabeth Sykes.
"The name ‘Knickerbocker Ranch' was used from the very start of the ranch enterprise upon settling down along Dove Creek," Drew explained. "The Tweedy Ranch is owned by Louise Tweedy and her daughters."
Knickerbocker Ranch is often mistakenly thought to be the Tweedy ranch. Since 1995, the land has been two separately owned ranches, he said. The Tweedy Ranch is run by Louise Tweedy heirs, and Knickerbocker Ranch is owned by heirs of Elizabeth Sykes.
Sykes was a photographer in Dallas before moving to Knickerbocker in 1998. Having spent time on the ranch while growing up, he said he feels very connected to the land and has introduced an aggressive brush control program along with establishing a wildlife habitat and a whitetail deer management program.
"I have attended a number of seminars since coming here, and my focus is to better manage the land," Sykes said. "Like most of the land around the Concho Valley, this was over grazed, and I want to rehabilitate the ecology. The whole movement of brush control is part of the plan."
How did your family get into ranching?
Sykes: My great-grandfather, Joseph Tweedy, purchased, homesteaded and rented the land on Dove Creek near Knickerbocker to raise sheep for wool to ship back to New York City, where his family was involved in the wool trade.
What keeps you in business?
Diversification. Our income is derived from hunting, farming, minerals and livestock.
What's the unique feature of the ranch?
We have a terrain ranging from rolling hills to flats (plains) with good soil. The irrigated farmland is on both sides of Dove Creek.
How have you diversified the operation?
Besides a brush control program on the rangeland, the creek and river banks were fenced off to establish a Riparian corridor. The rewards are great as the land has recovered and has created a wildlife habitat.
Any new projects?
Since 1999, we have been actively managing the white-tailed deer population by controlling the doe numbers. In five years, the plan has paid off with larger bucks and a balanced number of deer per acre.
What's the history of the ranch brand?
The Knickerbocker Ranch brand is the circle "K," and the Tweedy Ranch brand is the open "A L."
Founded: 1877 by Joseph Tweedy
Owners: Morris and Anne Reese, Edwin M. Sykes III., Mellick T. and Barbara Sykes, Andrew Greenhow "Drew" Sykes
Location: Knickerbocker, 10 miles southwest of San Angelo
Livestock/crops: Cattle, sheep, hay and wheat
* Joseph Tweedy married Elizabeth Ayres Mellick in October 1881. They had four children: Lawrence Tweedy, Andrew Mellick Tweedy, Joseph Lord "Jose" Tweedy and Elizabeth Tweedy Flowers.
* Andrew Mellick Tweedy married Florence Eleanor Dahl on Nov. 26, 1917. They had three children: Elizabeth Ragnhild Tweedy Sykes, Andrew Mellick Tweedy Jr. and John B. Tweedy.
* Andrew Mellick Tweedy Jr. married Louise Morse. They had three children: Barbara Vanann Tweedy, Patricia Dahl Tweedy Wagner and Sandra Mellick Tweedy.
* Elizabeth Ragnhild Tweedy was born Oct. 22, 1918. She married Dr. Edwin Sykes. They had five children: Edwin Meredith Sykes III, Anne Sykes Reese, Mellick Tweedy Sykes, Thomas James Sykes (died in 1984) and Andrew Greenhow "Drew" Sykes.
* Jose Tweedy married Eva Gregg Browne on May 23, 1916. They had three children: Katherine Tweedy Waring, Jose Tweedy Jr., and Anne Tweedy Stuyvesant.
* Charles and Katherine Tweedy Waring had four children: Charles Wildey Waring Jr., Eva Browne Waring Horton, Richard S. Waring and Joseph Tweedy Waring.
© 2010 San Angelo Standard Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
April 3, 1916 New York Times
Mrs. Josiah Browne of 815 Kensington Avenue, Plainfield, N.J. has announced the engagement of her daughter, Miss Eva Gregg Browne, to Joseph Lord Tweedy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Tweedy of Knickerbocker, Texas. The wedding will take place in May.
April 24, 1942 Knickerbocker Ranch
Texas, Tom Green Co. Newspapers: Fosters of Chattooga Co. buy
Knickerbocker Ranch, San Angelo Standard-Times, 24 April 1942
This file was contributed by: DDDMDOSS@CS.cs.com (Michelle Doss)
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing
free information on the Internet, data may be used by
non-commercial entities, as long as this message
remains on all copied material. These electronic
pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit
or for presentation by other persons or organizations.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material
for purposes other than stated above must obtain the
written consent of the file contributor.
The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb
Archives to store this file permanently for free access.
From the San Angelo Standard-Times (Texas), Friday, April 24, 1942
KNICKERBOCKER PRACTICALLY CHANGES HANDS AS FOSTER FAMILY SECURES 300 TOWN
One West Texas community - Knickerbocker - practically changed hands
Through papers filed in the office of County Clerk Emmett Keating, the
Knickerbocker Ranch Co. and the Tweedy family transferred deeds and
mineral rights on more than 300 lots in Knickerbocker to E. E. Foster,
Tom Green County Commissioner, Arthur R. Foster and Ernest Eugene Foster,
Although the exact amount of the consideration was not reported, stamps on the documents would indicate that approximately $2,000 was involved.
Mrs. Eva Browne (Jose L.) Tweedy, as vice president of the Knickerbocker Ranch Co. and independent executrix of the estate of the late Joseph Lord Tweedy acted for the ranch company. The mineral rights transfer was signed by Andrew Mellick Tweedy of Union County, New Jersey, acting for himself and as trustee of the estate of Elizabeth Tweedy Flowers of Santa Monica, Calif., and as attorney-in-fact for Lawrence Leslie Tweedy of London, England, and Mrs. Jose L. Tweedy.
Knickerbocker first settled in the seventies was headquarters for
Knickerbocker Ranch, founded in 1877 by the late Joseph Tweedy, J. Barlow Reynolds, E. Morgan Grinnell and Lawrence Grinnell of New York.
It once boasted two hotels and two saloons, but they passed out of
existence many years ago.
1909 Plainfield City Directory
Tweedy Isabel Miss, h 125 Crescent av
King Abram, ins agt, h 103 Duer, N P
King Albert J, engineer, H 11 The Madison
King Avery, waiter, 62 W 4th
King Charles W, banker, h 911 Watchung av
King Christopher, engineer, h 330 E 4th
King David W, ins agt, h 27 Craig pl, N P
King John, engineer, h 319 Netherwood av
King John J, molder, h 665 W 4th
King Oliver R, M D, h 1003 Putnam av
King Thomas H, laborer, h 618 W 3d
815 Kensington Avenue
Princeton Alumni News 1928
Mellick Tweedy has been made General Manager of the South American Development Co. and will spend most of his time hereafter at their New York office, 185 Broadway, and will only make occasional trips to the mines in Ecuador. He and his family are living for the present in Plainfield, NJ.
September 14, 2013 Trip to Kykuit
The road from Plainfield to Kykuit was traveled once again on Saturday as 19 made the trip to see the famed estate of John D. Rockefeller.
"Once again" you say?
Why, yes. Many Plainfielders worked for Mr. Rockefeller in his New York Standard Oil offices as well as offices located in the oil refineries right off Route 1 in Linden where the descendant companies of Standard Oil still store, refine and ship petroleum. These Plainfielders perhaps were not invited to Kykuit, but Rockefeller's lifelong friend and spirtual advisor most likely was an invited guest . . . and perhaps even his wife, founding PGC Member Mrs. Charles A. Eaton '15
Mrs. Eaton and her husband had their lives and fortunes changed upon meeting the owner of Kykuit. Mr. Eaton was the preacher at Euclid Avenue Baptist Church, situated on Cleveland's 'millionaire's row,' and as a result he came to the attention of John D. Rockefeller, a summer resident of Cleveland who attended church there. Rockefeller and Eaton became lifelong friends, and this connection influenced Eaton's future path.
This connection with Rockefeller also influenced Mr. Eaton's favorite nephew, Cyrus S. Eaton, who went to work for Rockefeller as a college student and later became one of America's greatest industrialists. He is best remembered (for those of us that can remember back to the '70's) for his role in US relations with the Soviet Union. In the late '60's his business deals with Communist Russia and the Rockefellers earned quite a bit of bad press.
In 1909, the Eatons followed Rockefeller by moving to what is now Watchung, but at one time was considered part of Plainfield. Their house still stands on Valley Road. Although a "dairy farmer" on their Valley Road estate "Sunbright," Mr. Eaton's main role was that of preacher to a prominent Madison Avenue Baptist Church congregation. However, after Mrs. Eaton helped found the PGC in 1915, in 1924, Mr. Eaton ran for Congress, won his seat and stayed there until 1952.
Congressman Eaton rose to become chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs and served on the Select Committee on Foreign Aid. Eaton signed the original United Nations Charter in San Francisco as part of a delegation representing the United States Government. He helped gain support for the Marshall Plan, also known as the Economic Cooperation Act of 1948, which was passed by Congress in 1948 by a vote of 329 to 74. For several years, he served in Congress alongside his nephew William R. Eaton, a Representative from Colorado.
Eaton was a steadfast opponent of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal. However, he was frequently invited to the White House for meetings with both presidents Roosevelt and Truman because of his sharp understanding of international politics.
While in Congress, he and Mrs. Eaton entertained many foreign dignitaries at their home. Between raising her family, and supporting her husband's career, Mrs. Eaton was very active in the PGC, serving as President twice, 1921 - 23, and then again in 1928-30.
The other likely Plainfielder to have made visits to Kykuit would have been the original owner of "The Castle" located at 900 Park Avenue. Mr. Orville T. Waring lovingly built that house and was partners with John D. Rockefeller, after selling his petroleum interests to him and then becoming Director of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey. Mr. Waring's daughter was founding member Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring) Timpson '15. His daughter-in-law was Mrs. Orville G. Waring '35.
Mr. Waring had eight children and two wives, and many of his progeny were elite members of the Plainfield Garden Club: Fleming, Hyde, Mellick, Tweedy, and MacLeod. When Mr. Waring's daughters were wed, the news appeared in the New York Times along with reports of Mr. Rockefeller and John D. Rockefeller, Jr.'s attendance at the events and their gifts of "gold and silver ornaments."
To view the photos from the most recent trip to Kykuit, click here: Field Trip to Kykuit
Other members associated with the Standard Oil Company and the Rockefellers included the large McGee clan:
McGee, Henry Augustus (Emma Louise Whiting) '22
McGee, Mrs. Harry Livingston (Sarah M. Howell) '18
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22
And of course Barbara Sandford was Rockefeller's neighbor on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, her father & John D. belonging to all the same clubs with the most notable distinction of being residents of "Millionaire's Row."
1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'
November 30, 2013: Found in Barbara Tracy Sandford's memorabilia. Written by PGC Member Mrs. Garret Smith
"I call Plainfield the City of Beautiful Trees," and out-of-town visitor remarked to me the other day. "My business takes me to many towns about this size clear across the country. Trees, or their lack, always impress me most about a town. Beautiful building can't make up for the lack of them. Many towns seem to have choice trees only in one or two sections. Others have only a few tree-lined avenues. But every part of Plainfield has not only interesting individual trees, but long stretches of streets where treetops meet in green arches above the traffic. That doesn't just happen. This town must have been founded by tree-lovers."
The stranger was right, as many specimen trees on old private properties testify. They are trees that were rare and expensive when planted years ago. A number of well-to-do property owners appreciated trees and collected choice kinds. The street trees of about this age also show that far-sighted men planned to make the town keep growing more beautiful in ways that everyone enjoys.
Trees have always been essential to Plainfielders. In the early days elms stretched down North Ave. from east to the west city boundaries. Many still remain now 70 to 80 years old. That avenue helped to establish Plainfield's policy of "beautiful trees for every street."
The city's mayors and councilmen have appreciate the value of trees . . . Ginko . . . now ripening, in the edge of the station grounds, near the corner of the drug store.
Among its immediate neighbors, at this station are a Red Maple, Austrian Pine, English Elm, Horse Chestnut, several Magnolias and a Sycamore Maple, the latter near the middle of the grass oval. Purple Beech, White Pine and two Hemlocks stand at the west exit.
Lindens at Spot
On the North Ave. side of the station is an interesting clump of three Lindens – no two alike. Evergreens are represented by three Scotch Pines, an Austrian and a White Pine, and a tall, slender Spruce. In this little park are also Sugar Swamp and Silver Maples, and a clump of low-growing Beeches. Looking upward to the railroad level, one sees, besides the specimen Ginko mentioned, two Catalpas, a Weeping Mulberry, two Red Maples and an Austrian Pine. A big Pin Oak, two or three Scarlet Oaks, a . . . .
. . . boats glided over Green Brook and when Plainfield and New York social leaders came in big carriages, drawn by spanking teams, to garden musicals, gay dinners, dances and teas as the Johnston's guests.
All of Plainfield's school grounds are constantly growing more attractive. Environment of vines, trees, plants and shrubs awaken appreciation of Nature's beauty that is a lifelong source of pleasure.
Hubbard School, one of the city's architectural gems, has always been regarded as in a class by itself. Its beauty is greatly enhanced by choice plant material on its ample grounds, partly framed by Barberry. Large specimen Japanese Yews arrest attention, along with Sourwoods, or "Lily-of-the-Valley Tree," whose branches bear long one-sided racemes of white flowers in summer and whose leaves are vivid scarlet in autumn.
White Pine, Cedar, Pfitzer Junipers are shadowy evergreen foils for airy bloom of Weeping Japanese . . .
Among them are the old Elms in North Ave., mentioned before; London Planes from Watchung Ave. to Terrill Rd.; Ash in St. Mary's Ave.; Pin Oaks and Planes in Park Ave.; Sycamore Maples in Bellevue Ave.; Norway Maples in both Leland and Monroe Ave. sections. Tulip trees now grow in Central St., along Maxon School grounds, and Ginkos in Landsdowne Terr. In Cleveland Ave., near Grace Church, the lacy foliage of the decorative Mountain Ash, or Rowan Tree, contrasts at this season with bunches of bright hollylike berries. Many years ago the late Simeon Cruikshank planted Buckeyes along his corner property ["Sacmoore" 831 Belvidere] at Belvidere and Watchung Aves. Much smaller than familiar Horse Chestnut and with brighter pink flower-spikes they have always been greatly admired. In autumn the brilliant, scarlet, star-shape leaves of Liquid-ambar, or Sweetgum, glorifies a patch of Ravine Rd. After a shower, or if bruised, the foliage is fragrant. Corky bark and thorny-skinned fruit like little apples, complete this tree's unique characteristics.
Close to 150 trees, of many species, are part of the Muhlenberg Hospital landscape. The long front path beneath the Maples, and on the west the wide Elm-bordered stretch of green lawn leading to a quiet pool, with its amusing little bronze fountain figure, form two vistas of ever-increasing charm. Wide borders of intermingling trees and flowering shrubs frame the property.
The purple leaves of the two Schwedler Maples attract much attention in the spring. So do the Apple trees and Dogwoods that trim the grounds like big bouquets, set off by Hemlocks, Spruce and Pine. Chinese Dogwoods, given by graduate nurses, are especially prized. Devoted interest of the late Marie Louis, nature-lover and for years superintendent of Muhlenberg, helped turn once common-plant "grounds" into a tree-shaded garden spot both restful and diverting.
Native Dogwoods are favorites among the city's flowering trees. The Plainfield Garden Club, on its own recent 25th birthday, gave small grove of these "Jewels of the Forest" to Cedar Brook Park. On the T. H. Van Bosckerck grounds on Prospect Ave. is the handsome large group of Dogwoods on private property in town. On Dr. Elmer Weigel's lawn on Belvidere Ave [630 Belivdere – see Mrs. Joost]. Chinese Dogwood bears much larger and later blooms. Directly across the street from this, and close to the sidewalk, a low-growing Witch Hazel (Hamanelis) bears yellow Forsythia-like flowers in winter.
Before the Talmadge dwelling [714 Belvidere], in the the same street, are majestic Copper Beeches. In early days Beeches were popular selections for large grounds. Probably the finest Weeping Beech in the city grows in deserted grounds in Central Ave. Nearby on the Witon property is a huge Purple Beech – both almost perfect. Farther down the avenue, on Wardlaw School grounds [1030 Central Avenue - see Below], is a fine old Ginko.
The only Katsura Tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) in Plainfield is owned by former Mayor Leighton Calkins [929 Madison – see Below]. Its strange trunk and heart-shaped leaves, purplish when young, are unusual. It grows in front of the house in Madison Ave.
Unique among Plainfield trees is a native Orange of the South. it is today laden with velvety, green fruit in Mrs. Howard Tracy's Prospect Ave. garden [1331 Prospect Ave]. Probably nowhere else in this region can one be found, according to Shade Tree Commissioner Lithgow Hunter. Sent north from Maryville College in Tennessee 50 years ago. . . .
. . . residents seeking permanent homes. These officials have always planned with the Shade Tree Commission since its organization, so that every year more trees come marching in. Some fill vacancies in the ranks of old trees along old streets. Others shade tireless blocks in new sections of town.
For the last 17 years, one man, Sidney Durant, the Shade Tree Commission's expert supervisor of trees, has directed its work. it includes feeding, pruning, watering and repairing the city's 25,000 street trees, as well removal of dead or too-badly-injured trees and planting new ones. For nearly 20 years Thomas F. Hylan has served on the commission, of which he is now president.
Of all the city's trees, the strange Ginko, or Maiden-hair tree, grows to a height of 80 feet or so. The delicacy of its little leaves, resembling those of the Maiden-Hair fern, contrast sharply with the arrow-straight upswept branches of what is considered one of the most beautiful and unusual of all hardy exotic trees. The Ginko's origin is a mystery. Nowhere on earth is it been found wild, yet fossils prove it was once scattered all over the world. Nothing else today resembles the Ginko, so paleontologists reason that some series of misfortunes destroyed all missing links. Today's closest relative is the Yew family, thought at a glance they appear as unrelated as a Chines and a New England Yankee.
Planted Near Temples
Early explorers found Ginkos planted around Chinese and Japanese temples. The Chinese called in Yin-Hing – "Silver Apricot" – referring to the greenish-yellow, fleshy fruit having a single stone. This fruit, slightly roasted, was served throughout the formal Chinese dinners which lasted all day. Guests nibble the finlike fruit between courses as an aid to digestion.
The Ginko did not reach England until 1754. The first specimen in this country was planted in Woodlands Cemetery, Philadelphia. In 1889 the Ginko fruited for the first time there on the grounds of Charles Wister. fifty years ago these newcomers to America were not only scarce, but expensive. That Plainfield has so many beautiful old specimens of these trees is possibly due to the fact that John Taylor Johnston, then president of the New Jersey Central Railroad and a resident of this city, was not only a patron of the arts, but a lover of trees. Each of Plainfield's railroad station grounds had not only fine specimens of the Ginko, but also a varied collection of other trees, evidently selected by an expert.
Netherwood, nearest the Johnston home [see Below], was especially favored. Here, beside the north track, stands a regal Ginko, carefully located as an artist would plan his canvas, so that its top is etched against the sky. This emphasizes the beauty of leaf and branch and trunk as viewed from the eastbound station platform. ?? may see a younger . . .
. . . White Oak and Elms are among the trees fringing the western boundary.
"The property as a whole is a remarkable small arboretum," said a well-known visiting tree scientist recently, after inspecting the Netherwood station park. "In my travels I've seen no other railroad station grounds with such a variety of trees. This landscaping, too, I can see was done by an expert."
In employing such an expert to beautify the railroad property in his home town, Mr. Johnston was carrying out the spirit of the statement he made at the time the Metropolitan Museum of New York City was founded at his Fifth Ave. mansion. He was quoted as saying:
"The public ought to have a chance to see, to hear and to know more about whatever feeds the mind and is inspiring, if we are to have the best kind in America."
To even a novice in landscaping, the Netherwood station grounds show that underlying motive. One could not imagine either the south or north oval either diminished of enlarged – so true is their scale. It would be hard to find more beautiful flowering trees than those Magnolias; or more intriguing contrast of leaf, branch and trunk than offered by the Ginko and the Pine. On the north side the clump of Lindens, combined with an apparently outcropping "pudding stone," make a "garden composition" that suggest to the home gardener similar effective arrangements, though not necessarily identical in material.
Some old residents recall that Mr. Johnston's estate in E. Front St. was lavishly beautified with choice trees, as were those of most of his neighbors along that splendid avenue of that day. Some of those estates are still being kept up as homes of their owners today, while others have been divided into beautiful setting for developments of small homes.
The Johnston estate, however, furnished the basis of another public development of beauty spots. A portion of it became the site of the new Barlow School [see Below]. These school grounds are said to be unequaled in the state in the variety and placement of superb trees. What some consider the finest Weeping Beech in town grows here, also two majestic evergreens, one a White Pine, the other a Spruce. Elm, Ginko, Cucumber tree, Ash, "Button Ball," Willow and Sugar Maple are also outstanding.
Two of the most interesting, although not the most conspicuous of the group, are a true English Oak (Quercus Robur) and a Yellow Wood (Cladrastis lute). The first has smallish leaves, thick-set upon the branch. A strange characteristic is that the stem adheres to the side of the acorn. The writer knows of only one other English Oak in town – Central Ave., near Stelle Ave.
The Yellow Wood has wisteria-like racemes of white fragrant flowers in midsummer. Leaves resemble the locust. Another fine specimen grows on the property of Miss Laura Detwiller in Hillside Ave.
All were here in the days . . . .
. . . when Cherry, Dogwood and Crab. In early spring the large leathery-leaved evergreen Japanese Andromeda (Pieris) unfold delicate, coppery leaves and waxy white racemes of tiny flowers. These are classified as shrubs, but on these favorable grounds, are almost small trees of exceptional beauty.
Preservation is Theme
The good judgement of George R. Zimmer, who for many years has supervised Plainfield's school grounds, is shown not only in what has already been accomplished, but in developments being planned. "What can we preserve?" not "What can we cut down?" is his motto. Before clearing the recently purchased grounds adjoining Maxon School was begun this summer, Mr. Zimmer marked every large and small tree that "might some day be of use somewhere." Workmen were warned to cut not one of these.
The City Police Headquarters and also the old Public Library have a setting of trees. The little Library Park is said to have been reserved from farmland whose native trees – mostly, Red, White and Black Oaks – were left standing. Across the facade of Fire Headquarters are a Ginko, a London Plane and Horse Chestnut – each an unusually fine specimen. Among Netherwood firemen are enthusiastic gardeners. Each spring many of Plainfield's 3,000 commuters take great interest in "what the boys are doing to their grounds." Everything planted seems to do well, even the peonies, marking the line between the firemen's parklike grounds and the railroad cinder-bed.
On spacious City Hall grounds is not only a variety of evergreens, but also of deciduous trees, selected for beauty of form, leaf or flower. Two Cryptomeria, "Aristocrats of Evergreens," donated recently by Plainfield's near-centenarian, Miss Isabel Tweedy, and a tall Himalayan Pine in town was brought here by the late Harry K. Tetsuka, to adorn his well-known Japanese garden in Belvidere Ave [556 Belvidere].
The Holly tree on City Hall grounds is another tree found on but few properties. It was donated by Herbert Moody [see Below], when The Courier-news gift of 5,000 bulbs roused a widespread interest in more beautiful grounds, in keeping with the architectural beauty of the building. Evergreens were given immediately by former Mayor Marion F. Ackerman, and a Dogwood by Thomas F. Hylan, whose keen interest in the property extends back to 25 years ago, when, as Councilman, he served on the City Hall Building Committee. This season former Councilman Orville G. Waring, son of the late Mayor Waring, donated several valuable Pfitzer Junipers.
Many species of trees planted along our city streets make green lanes that are not monotonous.
. . . . stood for most of that time in this sheltered nook. The fruits, when ripe, are decorative, but not edible. Edible oranges grown only on grafted stock. The thorny branches of this small tree resemble Osage Orange, or "Indian Bow-wood."
Figs are also ripening now in Plainfield. Within a stone's throw of Netherwood station is Watson Ave. It is only three blocks long and from spring to fall it glows with flowers. In one little garden grows a carefully tended Fig tree that bears fruit yearly. Each fall the owner buries his Fig tree in a deep trench well below the frost-line. Each spring it is dug out and reset.
One great wide-spreading Mulberry (Morus Multicaulus) towers far above the roof-top of Leslie R. Fort's home in Cedarbrook Rd. This venerable tree is the historic survivor of a Mulberry plantation, established during the "Multicaulus Mania," by the late Senator Martine [11 Brook Lane, see Below], as a venture to yield gigantic profits on his farm that included the Cedar Brook tract. He believed with others that New Jersey would be one of the world's silk-growing centers. Convinced that silk was to take the place of cotton, New Jersey farmers set out thousands of acres of "silk-worm mulberries" about 100 years ago, only to cut down the trees when the bubble burst.
One of the most varied private collection of trees in the city is that of Miss Jessie D. Munger in Prospect Ave. In recent years instructors at Rutgers University have brought students to these grounds to study the trees and other plant material as well as the garden design. Last spring the general public enjoyed the same privilege.
Love of trees is part of the tradition that has helped mould Plainfield into a city of pleasant homes on quiet streets. The late Jonas Lie, one of our city's most distinguished citizens, sensed this characteristic of our community. In the Common Council Chamber at City Hall hangs his gift – a mountain woodland scene, interpreted by his illustrious brush as an inspiring message to us all.
To learn more about the history of some of the people and places mentioned in this article, visit these links:
Stillman, Mrs. William Maxson (Elizabeth B. Atwood) '15
Joost, Mrs. Sherman Brownell (Marie Murray) '19
Dunbar, Mrs. William Kuhn '17
Rock, Mrs. Robert B. '43
Runkle, Mrs. Harry Godley (Jennie Fitz Randolph) '15
Whitehead, Mrs. James Harold (Jean Fitz-Randolph Heiberg) '43
[1030 Central Avenue – duCret School]
Huntington, Mrs. Howard (Agnes Fales Strong) '19
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22
Zerega, Miss Bertha Virginia '23
[929 Madison Avenue]
Ackerman, Mrs. Marion S.(Sarah M. Wills) '35
[Johnston Estate on Front Street & Netherwood]
Mali, Mrs. Pierre (Frances Johnston) '18
[Barlow School East front Street – former estate of "Blojocamavi" owned by Lewis V. Fitz Randolph/Johnston estate]
Barlow, Mrs. Carlton Montague (June Simms) '70
Barlow, Mrs. DeWitt Dukes (Mary Lee Brewer), Jr. '65
Dunbar, Mrs. William K., Jr. (Elizabeth or "Libby" Hail Barlow) '47
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49
(Also see Mrs. Runkle and Mrs. Whitehead above)
Moody, Mrs. George T. '22
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49
[11 Brook Lane, Martine House]
MacLeod, Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) '55
1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'
1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'
January 6, 2005 Bronson Tweedy
Bronson Tweedy, 90, Was Deputy Director to CIA
Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 7:00pm
Bronson Tweedy, 90, Was Deputy Director to CIA
Bronson Tweedy, a former deputy director to the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, and a summer resident at Makonikey in West Tisbury, died of cancer Oct. 5, at his home in Chevy Chase, Md. He was 90.
Bronson was born to American parents in London, England. He did all his schooling in England until he left to live in Germany for six months before coming to the United States to attend Princeton University. He graduated in 1937 with a degree in European history, and went into advertising at Benton and Bowles in New York city. In 1942, he joined the naval intelligence and served in North Africa and Europe interrogating German U-boat crews.
After the war, he briefly returned to advertising before being recruited by the CIA. He was dispatched to Bern, Switzerland in the late 1940's, returning to Washington. D.C. in 1950. He then served as Chief of Station in Vienna from 1953 to 1956, in London from 1956 to 1959 and again in the late 1960's.
He was the agency's first head of the African Division and chief of the Eastern European from 1959 to 1966. He retired in 1973 as deputy of the director of the CIA, Richard Helms.
After his retirement, he and his wife, Mary Louise King, built a house on Makonikey and enjoyed the next 20 summers on the Vineyard. While summering on the Island, Bronson was active with the Edgartown Golf Club; a member of the summer residents' board for West Tisbury; and on the board for the Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Besides golf, his other favorite past time was watching the birds that came to his feeders, and having his children and grandchildren come visit.
Bronson also worked for more than 25 years with the Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, first as a reader and then as national chairman for the organization.
His wife of 64 years died in July. Survivors include a son, Lawrence Tweedy of Moriarty, N.M.; and a daughter, Anne Tiffany of Leesburg, VA.; and two grandchildren.
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership