Plainfield Garden Club

Member: Rogers, Mrs. Wilbur H. '32

1928 Treasurer Book April 15th $5.00 (Listed as Mrs. Wilbur Rogers) Is Mrs. Rogers' join date incorrect? To be an Associate one must be a member five years.
1929 Treasurer Book Associate $10.00 April
1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936 Treasurer Book Associate

1932 - 1942 Address: 990 Central Avenue

1937 Treasurer Book, under Associate: Mrs. Wilbur H. Rogers 4/19/37 Pd.

1938 Treasurer Book, Associate: Mrs. Wilbur H. Rogers 3/4/38 Pd 4/15/39 Pd. 2/19/40 Pd. 1/28/41 Pd. 1/8/42 Pd. 12/29/ 42 Pd. 1/5/44 Pd. 1/3/45 Pd. 12/15/45 June 5, 1946 June 17, 1947 June 28, 1948

1949 - 1950 Treasurer Book, Associate: Rogers, Mrs. Wilbur June 23, 1949 Her name is then crossed off

990 Central Avenue

Plainfield Library Photo File

G-422 1934 Grimstead House at 990 Central Avenue 990 Central Avenue House at 990 Central Avenue, image is not available. Van Wyck Brooks

Bicylcing in Plainfield

Plainfield Library

The Daily Press at one time ran a regular column entitled "Cycling Comment." Among other accounts it made announcements such as "Mrs. Whitney Frazee, of West Fifth street, is riding a new Rugby purchased from W. H. Rogers" and "Charles H. Angleman, of West Front street returned today after a bicycle trip to Bedminster."

First Presbyterian Church of Plainfield 1888

Contributors: Henry W. Rogers

William H. Rogers

From: "Jon in Omaha" <>
Subject: [SDB] Albert Clark Rogers 1858-1913 and Elva Marie (Benjamin)Rogers 1860-1938 and Harry Albert Rogers 1881-1903
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 15:12:26 -0500

"The Sabbath Recorder", Vol 59, No 6, p 95, Feb. 9, 1903.

Harry Albert, son of A. C. and Elva Benjamin Rogers, was born in Little Genesee, N. Y., October 7, 1881, and died suddenly, near Westfield, N. J. on January 27, 1903.

His parents removed to Plainfield, N. J., in 1891, and Harry was a member of the Seventh-day Baptist Sabbath-school there for many years. In November 1896 he was baptized by Dr. A. E. Main, and united with the Seventh-day Baptist church, of which he was a member at the time of his death.

"The Sabbath Recorder", Vol 75, No 10, p 319, Sep. 8, 1913.

Albert C. Rogers, son of Henry C. and Sarah A. Enos Rogers, was born near Little Genesee, N. Y., October 23, 1858, and died in Plainfield, N. J., August 26, 1913, almost fifty-five years of age.

There were three other children in the family, all older. Two of them, a boy and a girl, died in infancy; the other, a brother, William H. Rogers of Plainfield, N. J., survives him. He was married on New Year's day, 1879, to Miss Elva Benjamin, now left a widow. Two children came to bless this home, Harry and Ethel. It is now past ten years since Harry's death in the Westfield railway wreck. Ethel, now Mrs. Edmund R. Gavitt, resides at Omaha, Neb.

Brother Rogers made a profession of religion and was baptized when a young man, and became a member of the Friendship Seventh Day Baptist Church at Nile, N. Y., where his membership remained until his death.

For a little over twenty-four years he has made his home in Plainfield, N. J., where he has followed the occupation of carpenter and contractor.

Funeral services were held at the late home conducted by the pastor, on Friday, August 29, and the burial was made in the Hillside Cemetery. Edwin Shaw.

"The Sabbath Recorder", Vol 124, No 336, p 336, May 23, 1938.

Elva Benjamin Rogers was born July 24, 1840, in Belfast, N. Y., and died May 2, 1938, in Daytona Beach, Fla.

She was married to Albert C. Rogers January 1, 1879. There were two children: Henry, who died in 1903; and Mrs. Ethel Gavitt, with whom she lived for twenty-five years after the death of her husband. Accepting the truth of the Sabbath when she married Mr. Rogers, she [joined the Friendship Seventh Day Baptist Church at Nile, N. Y. and later] became a member of the Plainfield [N J.] Seventh Day Baptist Church. She lived the Bible and was a close student of denominational history. She was a helpless invalid the last two years of her live, and was faithfully and tenderly cared for by her daughter, Ethel and husband.

The funeral was from the Daggett and Wetherby Funeral Parlors, Daytona Beach, the undersigned officiating. Burial in Plainfield. T. J. V. H.

October 20, 2010 Hillside Cemetery

A tall oblesik
This pink marble oblesik was marked with several members from the Rogers family. We had some Rogers in the PGC:

Mrs. John H.G. (Jean) Rogers 1946
Mrs. Wilbur H. Rogers 1932

This was inscribed "J. Augustus Rogers" and then at the bottom "Son of Daniel and Maria S. B. Rogers"

October 20, 2010 Hillside Cemetery Tour

'Giggleswick' by Marjorie Blackman Elliott 1989

PGC Member Marjorie Blackman Elliott traces the history of the Mellick family and in particular PGC founding member Mrs. George P. (Ella Hartley) Mellick '15 and her well known estate, 'Giggleswick'

pages 13

Mrs. Elliott writes that Giggleswick was briefly owned by Mr. and Mrs. Ed Rogers. Relation?

June 15, 1922 New York Times


Defeats Miss Stuart, 6 and 5, in Plainfield C.C. Golf Tourney

Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N.J., June 14 – The first round for the women's championship at the Plainfield Country Club today resulted as follows:

First Eight – Miss Kate Bomann defeated Miss Florence Stuart, 6 and 5; Mrs. C. D. Boice defeated Miss Bertha Tilney, 2 and 1; Mrs R. S. Rowland defeated Mrs. C. B. Lawrence, Jr., 4 and 3, Miss Zoe Terry defeated Mrs. W. H. Rogers, 2 and 1.
Second Eight – Mrs. L. W. Hallock won from Miss Louise Patterson by default; Miss Priscilla Fraker defeated Mrs. H. R. Moyer, 5 and 4; Mrs. W. M. Alling defeated Mrs. Frank C. Ward, 2 and 1; Miss Lillie Moore drew a bye.

George T. Rogers

Mixed Golf at Plainfield

Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Sept. 28 – Only two women played this morning for the Mellick Cup on the grouns of the Hillside Golf Club. Miss Edith Tracey carried off the honors, defeating Miss Mary Whiton by one point, the net scores being 108 - 109. In the afternoon play was continued for the Golf Committee Cup. Dr. B. Vand Hedges carried off the honors of the day, winning over Robert Abbott by one point, their scores being: B. Vand Hedges, 85-8-77; Robert Abbott, 85-7-78. The same players contested for the Reinhart Cup and the same scores counted. Dr. B. Vand Hedges won the cup for the first time. To become the owner of the trophy it will be necessary to win the cup three times. In the weekly competitionn for the President's Cup on the links of the Park Golf Club Samuel Townsend and George T. Rogers shared first honors. Their scores were: Samuel Townsend, 113-24-89; George T. Rogers, 112-23-89.

Smithsonian Archives

Creator:Rogers, Henry J. 1811-1879
Title:Henry J. Rogers Papers, 1844-1896
Dates:1844, 1844-1896
Notes:Henry J. Rogers (1811-1879) was an inventor and a pioneer in the development of the telegraph
Summary:These papers include correspondence with Samuel F. B. Morse, Alfred Vail, and Matthew Fontaine Maury. Also included are patent applications, material documenting his pioneering work in nautical signal systems, a "Historical Sketch of the Electric Telegraph" by Rogers, and a certificate signed by Joseph Henry and Alexander Dallas Bache attesting to the quality of Rogers' design for an insulated wire for submarine and subterranean telegraph lines
Restrictions:Use of this record unit requires prior arrangement with the Archives staff
Topic:History of science and technology
Subjects:Bache, A. D (Alexander Dallas) 1806-1867, Henry, Joseph 1797-1878, Maury, Matthew Fontaine 1806-1873, Morse, Samuel Finley Breese 1791-1872, Rogers, Henry J. 1811-1879, Vail, Alfred 1807-1859
Form/Genre:Collection descriptions, Mixed archival materials
Local Number:SIA RU007390

1950 Check Book

No. 814
Jan. 10, 1950
William Saville
Flowers for Lyons

No. 815
Jan. 10, 1950
Garden Club of America
in memory of
Mrs. Wilbur Rogers
contribution to Redwood Grove

No. 816
Feb. 10, 1950
Beatrice P. Hendrix
Speaker at Jan. Meeting
Talk 50.00
Travel Expense 10.00
Material 7.00
Program Com.

In left margin:
Dec. 30 John Scheepers 16.50
percentage of bulbs sold

Residence of Wilbur H. Rogers, 990 Central Avenue

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.

publication circa 1917

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. W. H. Rogers
990 Central Avenue

Detwiller blueprints 990 Central

August 8, 2015

Library offers trove of vintage Plainfield home blueprints for sale

Plainfield homeowners and history buffs are getting a one-of-a-kind opportunity as the Plainfield Public Library prepares to offer upwards of 3,000 blueprint originals from its Detwiller Collection for sale to the public.

The blueprints offered for sale are part of a trove of many thousands recovered from a dumpster at City Hall by the late Plainfield architect and artist Charles Detwiller.

While many of Plainfield's grand homes and mansion are among the blueprints (though fewer than originally, owing to some 'fingering' before strict controls were put in place), the appeal of the collection will be stronger for those who live in or admire the more modest vintage homes from the turn of the 20th century to the World War II era.

These homes include many classic Tudors and other 'cottage' and 'revival' styles, as well as 'foursquares', ranches and Cape Cods and more contemporary stules.

These represent the bulk of Plainfield's building stock from its most expansive period and they were often enough improved or expanded – giving rise to the need for plans showing the original building and the proposed alterations to be filed with the City's inspections department.

It is those blueprints, which have now been cataloged and digitized, that are being offered for sale. In library parlance, they have been de-accessioned, meaning that they no longer need be kept permanently by the Library and are available for dispostion to private parties.

The Library has a portal to the Charles Detwiller Blueprint Collection on its website (see here) and has made a complete list of the blueprints for sale also available online (see here).

The list is alphabetized by street name, and then number. However, I would advise reading the Library's instructions closely so you make the proper notations for your request (see here) – easing the staff's task in finding the item(s) in which you are interested. Paying attention to the suggested time frames needed and numbers of items per request will help you avoid headaches. So, please read and follow the instructions carefully – as carpenters like to say, 'measure twice, cut once'.

The sale will run from September 1 to November 13, 2015 in a two-step process –

You check the offerings to find items that interest you, making careful notations; and

You and the Library work out a pick-up appointment, at which you will be able to view the actual items and make a final decision on your purchase.

Single-page blueprints are priced at $50 each and multiple-page sets at $100. Cash or credit cards are fine, but the Library will not accept personal checks.

Proceeds of the sale will be used to finance the further digitization of the blueprint collection – meaning that we can look forward to another offering of materials at some future point.

The Detwiller Collection is absolutely unique in its size and scope, covering decades of Plainfield history and thousands of buildings throughout the city. Plainfield residents owe Charlie Detwiller a debt of gratitude for his perspicacity that cannot be repaid.

And we owe a debt of gratitude to Library Director Joe Da Rold for the vision that saw in these rescued documents an invaluable resource for the community, and devised means and methods of ensuring these fragile records would be available to Plainfield residents permanently through having them digitized.

Mr. Detwiller is the late husband of PGC Honorary member Cath Detwiller. Mr. Detwiller's Aunt Laura was a long-time member of the PGC and a very talented botanical artist. Read about the Detwiller family here:

Detwiller, Mrs. Charles H. (Catherine or "Cath" Campbell), Jr. '57

Detwiller, Miss Laura Cecelia '29

And Mr. Detwiller's in-laws:

Campbell, Mrs. William Hall (Mabel C. Raper) '28

Davis, Mrs. F. Edgar (Dorothy or "Dottie" Campbell) '60