Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Waring, Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) '35

900 Park Avenue

1934 Treasurer Book Active: Mrs. O.G. Waring 4/20/34 PAID
Treasurer Book Active: 1935, 1936, 1937

1938 - 1939 Treasurer Book: Mrs. Orville G. Waring 1/5/38 Pd. 1/7/39 Pd. Transferred 4-10-39

1940 - 1941 Treasurer Book, Associate: Mrs. Orville G. Waring 1/4/40 Pd. 1/4/41 Pd. 11/24/41 Pd. 11/20/42 Pd. 12/28/43 Pd. 11/29/44 Pd. 12/10/45 May 14, 1946 May 6, 1947 May 25, 1948 June 8, 1949 May 29, 1950 May 1951 June 1952

1942 Address: 1339 Highland Avenue
NOTE: Mrs. Orville G. Waring listed as an "Associate Member"

1958 Address: 1339 Highland Avenue

Most historical records refer to "Orville T. Waring" was the father of Orville "G" Waring of our records

Plainfield Garden Club member Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur Timpson '15 of 1045 Hillside Avenue (1919) is the daughter of Mrs Orville T. (Hester A. Griffith) Waring '35

Not sure of relationship between Mrs. Orville G. Waring and Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) MacLeod '55 – sister-in-law?

From Plainfield, New Jersey's History & Architecture by John Grady and Dorothe Pollard

In the nineteenth century, often times brick houses were constructed of a softer grade of brick that was intended to be painted. In the twentieth century, homeowners, thinking they were doing the right thing, had the paint removed using the recommended method of sand blasting. Unfortunately, this process pitted the brick and exposed its softe inner core to the elements, causing further deteriortion. One such example is the fine Orville T. Waring home on Park Avenue shown in the nineteenth century and again undergoing this destructive process.

Orville T. Waring

In 1878, Mr. Orville T. Waring, then a man of thirty-seven, who had been two years in the service of the Standard Oil Company after a dozen years of previous work in the oil business outside, was called in by his superiors and asked what could be done to develop trade in lubricating oils.

resource 1911 Petroleum and Gas

Mr. Waring was born in January 1811 in Saratoga County, NY. His paternal ancestors were English and Dutch. He was educated in Troy, NY. He started in business life early as a commission merchant and manufacturere of petroleum products. On January 1, 1863, he went to Pittsburgh with the firm of Waring & Gregg petroleum brokers. For two years he spent his time there and in the oil regions, attending to shipments and deliveries of crude oil between Oil Creek and Pittsburgh by way of the Allegheny RIver. In 1865 he became partner with the firm which and then become Waring & King. Mr. H. H. King having taken the place of Mr. Gregg. When a little later, the concern located in Philadelphia and Baltimore and did business under the name of Waring, King & Co., Mr. Waring went to Philadelphia to take charge of the growing Eastern business and become interested in different refining businesses. Disposing of the latter, Mr. Waring moved to New York in 1874 and in 1876 joined the forces of the Standard Oil Company with which he has remained to this present day. In January 1911, his long and meritorious service was crowned by his election as Director of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.

Mr. Waring is President of the Plainfield Trust Company of Plainfield, NJ, the city in which he now makes his residence. President of the Plainfield Riding and Driving Club. President of the Hillside Cemetery Corporation.

In 1886, Orville T. Waring married Miss Hester A. Griffith of Troy, NY. The union resulted in the birth of eight children. It may be said without flattery that Mr. Waring in official and private life hold the esteem and affection of as large and loyal circle of friends in all parts of the country as any man in the oil industry.

Rent the Castle

http://www.rentthecastle.com/history.htm


The Orville Taylor Waring house was built in the mid 1800's by Orville Taylor Waring and designed by Charles H. Smith, a local architect who designed several mansions in the Plainfield area, including the Bronson-McCutchen home in North Plainfield.

Orville T. Waring was a pioneer in the oil industry having been associated with the Standard Oil Co. since its founding in 1874 and was one of the men instrumental in building the world's oil industry, along with John D. Rockefeller. Mr. Waring was considered an authority on lubricating oils. He was also responsible for the formation of the Plainfield Trust Company in 1902, one of the leading banks in Central Jersey, now known as the National Bank.

Joan Souels, President of A&J Inc. and former owner of the Roselle Antique Center of Roselle, NJ purchased the mansion on December 15, 1998. Joan named the mansion The Antique Castle and operated a successful antique business within the property for 10 years.

On December 15, 2008, ten years to the day that Joan Souels acquired the mansion her daughter Alia Souels-Parker and her husband Brian Parker acquired the property. The family rebranded the mansion to The Castle and is establishing the property as a premier special events destination.

Exterior

Although hard to define, Queen Anne is the most elaborate and eccentric of all Victorian house styles. The Castle possesses many of the flourishes associated with Queen Anne architecture. Constructed of brick and stone it is lavished with gingerbread, spindles, Tiffany designed stained glass, spectacularly patterned chimneys and roof. Another Victorian quality is the abundance of extensions such as the wrap-around veranda with extensive carvings, expansive bay windows, and dramatic tower.

The majestic porte-cochere greats guests with dramatic impact. The built in bench is the perfect place to await you vehicle or horse drawn carriage. The exterior of The Castle is constructed of beautifully patterned masonry with a few details in wood and terra cotta. Its steeply pitched irregular roof and the overall asymmetric shape of the house are all very distinct features of Queen Anne style Victorian architecture

Interior

The Grand Hall
Immediately upon entering the mansion through the leaded glass and wrought iron adorned doors, guest encounter a grand hall complete with the original inlaid floor, crystal chandelier, silk wallpaper and picture frame wainscoting. The Grand Hall flows 50 feet into the mansion with ornate Tiffany designed pocket doors that open to the four parlor rooms of The Castle.

The Solar Room
The Solar Room, the first parlor on the right of The Grand Hall, warmly welcomes guests. The centerpiece of The Solar Room is the stately fireplace and mantle. The berry red walls are accented by floral draperies and artwork.

The Bower
The Bower, the second parlor on the right of The Grand Hall, is connected to The Solar Room. Beautiful pocket doors can be used to separate these rooms. An expansive bay window, complete with leaded glass and inlaid wood rug are the highlights of this room.

The Gallery
Directly across from The Bower is The Gallery. Often used as a dance floor, The Gallery features four walls of picture frame wainscoting, silk brocade wallpaper and an inlaid banded floor. The ceiling is adorned with plaster relief and the original chandelier.

The Throne Room
Adjacent to the Gallery is The Throne room. The largest of the four parlor rooms, The Throne Room features a large fireplace, beautifully banded floors and a coffered ceiling with plaster relief. Double stained glass doors lead to The Veranda and Porte-cochere.

The Mezzanine
The Mezzanine or staircase landing features one of the most impressive attributes of The Castle. Designed by the Tiffany Company the 13' x 6' stained glass window is the crown jewel of The Castle. The spectacular stained glass window provides a great back drop for photos on the grand staircase.

The Wardrobe
The Wardrobe is located towards the end of The Grand Hall. Used to store the coats of our guests, this room can easily accommodate hundreds of coats.

Interior

Interior

Interior

Interior

Interior

The Veranda

The 1,200 square foot wrap-around porch of The Castle adds a sense of stateliness to this already impressive home. Typical of the Victorian Age, The Veranda sweeps around one side of the mansion adding to its asymmetrical design. The capitals of the columns feature gargoyle like faces and leaf carvings.

The Veranda features two grand stairways. The side entrance, protected by the grandiose porte-cochere, is just off the parking lot. The wide front stairway is flanked by ornate stone pillars and provides a gracious entrance to the mansion. Decorated with wrought iron tables and chairs, The Veranda is a great setting for any outdoor affair

The Bailey

The Bailey, or The Castle Lawn, is perfect for outdoor functions such as wedding ceremonies, garden parties, team building activities and family reunions. The 9,000 square foot lawn is surrounded by beautiful landscaping. The adjacent parking lot is perfect for tented affairs.

Orville T. Waring home on Park Avenue

June 15, 1905 New York Times wedding announcement

HUMPHREY - WARING

PLAINFIELD, NJ – June 14 – In Grace Church this afternoon Miss Florence Waring, daughter of Orville T. Waring, was married to Capt. Chauncey Benton Humphrey, United States Army, of West Point. The Rev. Dr. Erskine M. Rodman perfomred the ceremony. Miss May Waring was the maid of honor. Miss Gertrude Hall of Morriswotn and Miss Charlotte Lowe of this city were bridesmaids. Capt. A. J. Bowley of the Artillery Corps was best man, and the ushers were Capt. Charles Exton, Lieut. Robert Foy, Lieut. Joseph Baer, Lieut. H. E. Yates, and W. S. Wheeler of Philadelphia.

A receptioni at the home of the bride's parents followed the cermony. Capt. Humphrey in the Fall will be stationed at San Francisco.

Capt. Humphrey is a graduate of the class of 1898 at West Point, and served in the Phillippines and Cuba. He as also Military Attache in Panama and Venezuela.

The bride's father is connected with the Standard Oil Company. Her gifts included gold and silver ornaments from John D. Rockefeller, John D. Rockefller, Jr., William D. Rockefeller, Henry M. Flagler, Wade Hampton and Horace A. Hutchins.

November 15, 1888 New York Times wedding announcement

A Wedding at Plainfield

The marriage of Helen Frances Waring, daughter of Orville T. Waring, and Louis Gouverneur Timpson at Grace Church, Plainfield, NJ last night at 7 o'clock was the most fashionable event of the season at Plainfielld. A boy choir in surplices sange the wedding march from "Lohengrin." Following the choir were the ushers. Frank Van Buren. Orville Waring Jr., and the Messrs. Helfenstein. Then came the bridesmaids, the Misses Massitt, Fairairn, Knowland and Poole. Tow little sisters of the bride, May and Florence, acted as maids of honor. The bride was dressed in a corded silk. She was conducted to the alter by her father. The groom and his bst man, Edward Van Buren, were waitng there. The Very Rev. Archdeacon Rodman read the marriage service.

Among the guests were Gen. and Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Louis Gouverneur Morris of Fordham, Mr. and Mrs. Sliger, Mr. and Mrs. F. O> Herring, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Potter, Jr., Mason W. Tyler, Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Lowe, and Robert Burnet. After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of Mr. Waring, and for three hours the house was crowded.

Milestones: May 28, 1923

Died. Orville Taylor Waring, 84, a colleague of John D. Rockefeller in the Standard Oil Co. and one of its original incorporators, of cancer, at Plainfield, N. J. He is survived by his second wife and eight children.



Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,715619,00.html#ixzz1A0Suyb92

Interior

May 17, 1957 Club Commemorates Founding of Iris Garden

Caption: GARDEN MARKER VIEWED – Standing before the marker commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park are (left to right) Mrs. Frederick Lockwood, Victor B. King, Jr., John C. Wister, Mr. Richard Tracy and Miss Harriette R. Halloway, founder of this garden. (Courier photo by E. T. Wiggins)

The Plainfield Garden Club and guests yersterday dedicated the the entranceway of the of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park.

Miss Harriette R. Halloway, found of the garden and chairman of the garden of the Iris Garden [not legible] the project was started in 1932, was presented a medal by Mrs. Frederick M. Lockwood, president of the Garden Club.

The medal is [not legible] "from the grateful members of the Plainfield Garden Club Harriette R. Halloway founder and director of the Iris gardens of Cedar Brook Park, Plainfield, 1932 - 1957."

[Not legible] viewed a recently installed [not legible] tablet marking the anniversary of the garden.

"Excercise in Perfection"
Victor R. King, president of the Union County Park Commission, led the gathering [not legible] the garden display was "an excercise in perfection is [not legible]," he said.

The park commission provides the setting for the garden and have [not legible] in the project [not legible]

W. [not legible] Tracy, executive had of the Park Commission when the Iris Garden was started paid tribute to Miss Halloway for her "tireless work and painstaking effort."

Another speaker was Dr. John C. Wister of Swarthmore, Pa., president of the American Iris Society when the garden was started and author of [not legible] article about the garden in the current issue of the Journal of the New York Botanical Gardens.

Miss Halloway spoke briefly and [not legible] on the work of the [not legible] who care for the Iris Garden. She introduced Kenneth Smith, one of the largest contributors of plants to the garden [not legible]

Mrs. Lockwood presided at the program. Guests included members of [not legible] garden clubs and contributors to the garden.

The Iris Garden Committee includes Mrs. Morris E. Benton, Mrs. Alden de Hart, Mrs. Lockwood, Mrs. Donald E. Luce, Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr., Mrs. C. Northrop Pond, Mrs. Webster Sandford, Mrs. Arthur D. Seybold, Mrs. John R. Wells, Mrs. Willian G. Wigton, Mrs. Robert MacLeod, vice chairman, and Miss Halloway, chairman.

Special slides [not legible] for the chairman were Mrs. Charles A. Eaton, Jr., Mrs. F. Willoughby Frost ad Mrs. Edwin M. Treat, Jr.

Mrs. Victor M. King was chairman of the special committee assisted by Mrs. J. Harold Loizeaux, Mrs. E. B. Newberry, and Miss Margaret Tyler. Also cooperating were Mrs. N. C. Barnhart, Jr., Mrs. William P. Elliott, Mrs. Homer Cochran and Mrs. H. I. Flanders.

Hostesses (not legible)
Other hostesses were Mrs. William W. Coriell, Mrs. Leslie E. Fort, Mrs. William A. Holliday, Mrs. Richard M. Lawton, Mrs. Robert T. Stevens, Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler, Mrs. William S. Tyler. Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck and Mrs. Orville G. Waring.

The Iris Garden now has more than 1,800 named varieties properly labeled, representing all types of Iris and totaling more than 75,000 plants.

The main part of the garden is [not legible] caring Iris [not legible] and is expected to be is good blooms thorugh the rest of the month.

Estate of Dorothy Fleming Waring

Mrs. Waring, a resident of Plainfield, New Jersey, died testate in March 1963, leaving a substantial estate. Her will was admitted to probate by the Union County Surrogate and Aloysius F. Schaeffner and the Plainfield Trust State National Bank qualified as executors. Mr. Schaeffner is a member of the bar of New York and is a partner of Patterson, Eagle, Greenough & Day, a New York law firm which has long represented members of the Waring family including Mrs. Waring, her husband Orville G. Waring who died in 1950, and Orville's father Orville T. Waring who died in 1923.

Orville G. Waring had New York business interests and was president of Borne Scrymser Company which had offices in New York City. The Patterson, Eagle, Greenough & Day firm was general counsel for the company and Mr. Waring was in frequent consultation with it. Mr. Waring's will was drawn and witnessed by members of the firm and after Mr. Waring died, his widow Mrs. Dorothy Fleming Waring requested that the firm represent her in connection with the administration of her husband's estate. During the remaining years of her life, Mrs. Waring continued the retention of the firm for her legal and personal affairs including the preparation of her tax returns and the drafting and execution of various wills culminating in her last will and testament.

Standard Aircraft Corporation of Plainfield, NJ

Smithsonian Archives
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.jsp?view=&date.slider=&q=plainfield+&dsort=&start=40

Catalogued Data:
Title:Photograph of JR-1B mail airplane designed by the Standard Aircraft Corporation
Medium: paper; photo-emulsion
Type: Photographs
Place: United States of America
Date: 1918
Credit line: National Postal Museum, Benjamin Lipsner Collection Photographer: Unknown
Object number: A.2008-10
Description: A JR-1B mail airplane on an airfield. The airplane was one of six that the Post Office Department purchased from the Standard Aircraft Corporation of Plainfield, New Jersey. Airmail pilot Max Miller painted a U.S. mailbag on the side of this airplane, numbered 1. National Postal Museum, Benjamin Lipsner Collection Photographer: Unknown
Data Source: National Postal Museum

New York Times February 5, 1895

SOCIAL JOTTINGS FROM PLAINFIELD

Entertainmnets Which Have Helped to Make the Week Pass Pleasantly

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Feb. 16 – On Wednesday evening a cotillion was danced at the home of ex-Mayor Q. V. F. Randolph of East Front Street.

Herman Simmonds of Watchung Avenue has gone to Florida, to remain until Spring.

Mrs. Dudley Insley of Tacoma and Miss See of Sing Sing are guests of Mrs. E. E. Runyon of Madison Avenue.

Mrs. Howell of Chester, who has been visiting her sister Mrs. F. D. Whiting of East Sixth Street, has returned home.

Next Tuesday evening the ladies of the Monroe Avenue Chapel will hold their annual supper.

Mrs. Robert Downy of Madison Avenue gave a tea this afternoon from 4 to 7.

By far the largest and most brilliant social function that has ever been given in this city was the Ackerman reception at the Casino on Monday night. About 500 guests were present, the largest number that has yet gathered in that pretty clubhouse and ballroom. Mrs. J. Hervey Ackerman received, assisted by Mrs. Robert Rushmore, Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, and Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman.

Plainfield Countil of the Royal Arcanum celebrated the addition of the two hundredth member to its ranks Monday night with an entertainment.

William C. Ayers, one of Plainfield's oldest residents, celebrated his eighty-sixth birthday Tuesday. He was born on Feb. 12, 1809, on the same day as Lincoln.

Wednesday evening the ladies of the Seventh Day Baptist Church held a sale and supper in the church.

An interesting meeting of the Monday Afternoon Club was held in the parlors of the Crescent Avenue Church Monday, at which David P. Hall gave a talk on parliamentary usage.

The Third Regiment Cadet Corps of this city will go to Bound Brook on Washington's Birthday to take part in the parade of that place.

Several new members were received into the Plainfield Bicycle Club at a meeting Monday night.

On Thursday evening, Feb. 21, a Martha Washington tea will be given in the First Presbyterian Church.

Tuesday evening Mr. and Mrs. B. O. Bowers of Franklin Place entertained the Musical Club.

The Ladies Committee of the Young Women's Christian Association met Tuesday afternoon and elected the following officers: President – Mrs. Henry M. Maxson; Vice-President – Mrs. J. Wesley Johnson; Treasurere – Mrs. J. H. Manning; Secretary – Miss Embury.

Next month Miss Fannie Westphal will be married to George Gray of Brooklyn.

Tuesday, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman of West Seventh Street gave a dinner in honor of her guest, Miss Cox of New York. The guests present were Miss Gertrude Waly, Miss Cox, Miss Marion Dumont, Miss Waldron, Miss Lawrence, Miss Carey, Harry Munger, Laurens Van Buren, Fred Waly, Dr. B. Van D. Hedges, Mr. Waring and Mr. Wharton.

A union meeting of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Societies of the Crescent Avenue and First Presbyterian Churches as held Tuesday afternoon at the latter church. The subject discussed as "China," papers being read by Mrs. M. E. Dwight, Mrs. Luchey, Mrs. Cornelius Schenck, Mrs. Pruden, and Mrs. Wyckoff.

Next Saturday Mrs. Henry McGee of Washington Park will give an afternoon tea. The hours will be from 4 to 7 o'clock.

During the week Miss Florence Honneger of New Brighton, S. I., has been the guest of Mrs. J. R. Hill of Belvidere Avenue.

Plainfield's handsome new Young Men's Christian Association Building was formally opened Tuesday night. Addresses were made by Mayor Alexander Gilbert, the first President of the association; the Rev. Dr. William R. Richards and William D. Murray, the present President. The building cost about $50,000.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FA0710F6395911738DDDAE0994DA405B8585F0D3

Frank B. Bennett & Company 1912

The Plainfield Trust Co.

On the fourth day of June, ten years ago, the Plainfield Trust Company of Plainfield, N.J., opened for business in an unpretentious store on one of the principal streets on that city. In three years, when by its aggressive methods it had acquired a deposit line of one and a half million dollars, it moved into its handsome building on Park avenue which it now occupies, and which is not only the most imposing edifice in Plainfield but is one of the finest banking houses in the State of New Jersey. In its new home the business of the institution has continued to prosper under the efficient management of its energetic and capable staff of officers until today the company reports deposits of four millions of dollars and a surplus and undivided profit account of two hundred and forty thousand dollars, or nearly two and a half times the amount of its capital.

In addition to the four million of deposits, the company has in its custody a million and a half of trust funds which are kept separate and apart from its assets. This trust business is but another indication of the confidence which the institution has won during the comparatively short period of its existence – a confidence that is based on the character of the service which has been rendered but on the personnel of its directors, all of whom are representative men in the community and who bring to the business the inspiration of some New York City's most important business activities as may be seen from the following:

LIST OF DIRECTORS
and their connections: J. Herbert Case, vice-president Franklen Trust Co., Brooklyn; Frederick Geller, attorny and counseller-at-law, New York; Augustus V. Heely, vice-president The Farmers' Loan and Trust Co., New York; James W. Jackson, executor of the Jesse Hoyt Estate, New York; Edward H. Ladd, Jr. & Wood Bankers, New York; Charles W. McCutchen, Holt & Co., Commision Merchants, New York; Henry A. McGee, Standard Oil Co., New York; Walter M. McGee, Vacuum Oil Co., New York; Charles A. Reed, attorney and counsellor-at-law, New York; Isaac W. Rushmore, dairy products, New York; Frank H. Smith, register Union County, Elizabeth, N.J., Samuel Townsend, president Peoples National Bank, Westfield, N.J., Cornelius B. Tyler, Tyler & Tyler, attorneys, New York; Lewis E. Waring, Edward Sweet & Co., bankers, New York; and Orville T. Waring, Standard Oil Co., New Jersey.

Mr. H. H. Pond, secretary of the company, assumed this position two years ago, and during his uncumbency the deposits have increased from about $2,750,000 to $4,000,000. Mr. Pond has also been president of the New Jersey Bankers Association during the past year and in that capacity has won many friends both for himself and for the institution which he represents.

The Plainfield Trust Company conducts a banking trust, special, safe deposit and "banking by mail" department. Through the latter the institution has extended its operation all over New Jersey, and there are few towns in the state in which some of its deposits may not be found.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4wkhAQAAMAAJ&pg
=RA2-PA44&lpg=RA2-PA44&dq=edward+h.+ladd+
new+jersey&source
=bl&ots=dm0GnDDx-W&sig=YQvKfBNAEj2-SnuL0oqvlP4dhJ8&hl=en#v=onepage&q=
edward%20h.%20ladd%20new%20jersey&f=false

August 26, 1894 New York Times Article: Plainfield, City of Homes

Some of the others who do business in New York and have handsome homes here are . . .; Orville T. Waring of the Standard Oil Company,

National Register of Historical Places

Waring, Orville, T., House (added 1979 - - #79003252)
Also known as Runyon Funeral Home
900 Park Ave. , Plainfield
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Smith,Charles H.
Architectural Style: Late Victorian
Area of Significance: Architecture, Industry, Commerce
Period of Significance: 1875-1899
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Domestic
Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Current Sub-function: Business

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/nj/Union/state2.html

900 Park Avenue

December 4, 2011 Van Wyck Brooks Historic House Tour

900 Park Avenue

900 Park Avenue

900 Park Avenue

900 Park Avenue

Our last stop on the tour and the famous home of Orville Waring of Standard Oil fame and wealth. Several of his daughters were our members as well as one daughter-in-law:

Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) MacLeod '55, President 1958 - 1960

Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring) Timpson '15

Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) Waring '35

900 Park Avenue

Gail Sloan and Anne Shepherd

900 Park Avenue now operates as a catering place, which astounded Anne who remembers it as Runyon Funeral Home. Perhaps the interior will suggest a more festive atomosphere . . . although the current owner already told us a ghost story about Mr. Waring at the previous Shakespeare-in-Bloom. Still, we approach and go inside . .

900 Park Avenue

May 28, 1923
Died. Orville Taylor Waring, 84, a colleague of John D. Rockefeller in the Standard Oil Co. and one of its original incorporators, of cancer, at Plainfield, N. J. He is survived by his second wife and eight children.

900 Park Avenue

Our stay was not long. We did see the very unusual white and gold painted staircase to the second floor and the Tiffany window on the landing. A favorite feature was this gigantic stone bench inset to the port cochere.

900 Park Avenue

The Castle
The Orville Taylor Waring house on Park Avenue in Plainfield's Van Wyck Brooks Historic District is one of the homes on "An Old-Fashioned Christmas House Tour" next weekend

Several PGC members were Waring-related:

Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) Waring '35

Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) MacLeod '55, President 1958 - 1960

Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring)Timpson '15

Photo by Dan Damon

Louise Kendall Morse Tweedy

SAN ANGELO Louise Kendall Morse Tweedy passed away at her home at the Tweedy Ranch on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 surrounded by her family. Louise was born June 9, 1921 in Plainfield, New Jersey. She was the youngest daughter of Lorine May Cross Morse and Edward Kendall Morse.

Louise's education began at Hartridge School in Plainfield and continued with Miss Porter's School in Farmington, Connecticut. As a young adult she attended a cooking school in New York City. She worked as an assistant x-ray technician and helped with physical therapy at Muhlenburg Hospital in Plainfield. Louise enjoyed mechanical drawing and drew blueprints for the engineering department of International Motors. Additionally, she was a member of the Junior League of Plainfield, New Jersey. She was also a member of the twentieth century club.

Louise spent her early years at East Hampton, Long Island; Crystal Lake in Carbondale, Pennsylvania and Nantucket, Massachusetts. She attended youth camp in Vermont.

Louise lived in Plainfield until her marriage to Andrew Mellick Tweedy of Knickerbocker, Texas. They were married in Plainfield at the Grace Episcopal Church on November 10, 1945. They moved to Knickerbocker where Andrew was managing the Tweedy family ranch. Louise quickly adapted to her new environment of West Texas and began helping Andrew with daily tasks on the ranch. She enjoyed horseback riding and later passed on her passion for the sport to her children. She was also a wonderful host. Due to her warm hospitality, the Tweedy home at Knickerbocker was a comfortable, inviting place for friends and relatives to relax and enjoy hours or days of conversation and recreation.

From 1954-1956, she volunteered time at the Knickerbocker school as a substitute teacher, theatrical properties mistress and helped organize events for school programs. In 1956, Louise and Andy moved to San Angelo while her daughters attended San Angelo schools returning to Knickerbocker in 1963. She was active with scouting programs for her daughters. She volunteered for the Young Women's Service League.

Louise was a competitive person and enjoyed games. She engaged her time playing bridge with her dear friends. She was an avid golfer and served as president of the Women's Golf Association in 1966. In 1972 and 1975, she won the Women's Championship at the San Angelo Country Club.

Louise followed her father and husband as a skilled marksman and enjoyed hunting ducks, dove, and quail. She, also, loved to fish on Dove Creek and the Gulf Coast.
.
Louise was preceded in death by her husband Andrew Mellick Tweedy, her sisters, Mary Lorine Morse, Margaret Morse Fargo, her brother in law Alvin W. Fargo, brother in law John B. Tweedy, and sister in law, Elizabeth T. Sykes.

Louise is survived by her daughters, Barbara Vannan Tweedy of San Angelo, Patricia Tweedy Wagner and her husband, Logan Wagner of Austin, and Sandra Mellick Tweedy of Knickerbocker and her granddaughter Eugenia Fenn Wagner of Austin. Her nieces, Lorine Fargo and Jane Fargo of Edison, New Jersey. A nephew Alvin Fargo and his wife Sara of Kentfield, California. Della Messer, her dear friend and companion. Her in laws: Dr. Edwin Sykes of San Angelo and Mardie Tweedy of Denver, Colo. Also numerous cousins and their spouses: Phil and Anne Ardery of Louisville, KY, Helen Tweedy of Silverdale, Wa, Barbara Flowers of Marina del Ray, CA. Also, Anne and Morris Reese of San Angelo, Edwin Sykes of San Angelo, Mellick and Barbara Sykes of San Antonio, Tx, Drew Sykes of Knickerbocker, Tx., Joe and Melinda Waring and Eva and Lee Horton of San Angelo, Charles and Diana Waring of Dallas, Tx., Richard Waring of Houston, Tx., Julie Ardery and Bill Bishop of Austin, Tx, Sarah and David Manning and Katherine Tweedy and Gerald Nelson of Denver, Co., Christopher and Susan Tweedy of Denver Co., John and Beret Tweedy of Boulder, Co. and their mother, Helen Chenery; Ryland and Pam Howard of San Antonio, Tx. and many more loved cousins, nieces and nephews.

Honorary pallbearers are Helen McAshan, Virginia Holland, Mary Kennemer, Charlene Stokes, Wanda Hagan, Odalia Martinez, Anne Reese, Eva Horton, Julie Ardery, Melinda Waring, Kate Tweedy, Lanna Duncan and Leslie Wilkenson.

A special appreciation is extended to Dr. Chris Barnett who was an encouraging advocate for Mother. Louise was also devoted to Lita Alamany and Eva Palacios for their weekly understanding and support.

A memorial service will be held at 11AM Saturday, May 19, 2012 at Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Arrangements are by Johnson's Funeral Home.

Memorials may be made to Knickerbocker Community Center ( P.O. Box 111, Knickerbocker, Tx, 76939) Baptist Memorial Hospice , Emmanuel Episcopal Church or a charity of choice .


.Published in GoSanAngelo from May 18 to May 20, 2012

January 28, 2006 Elizabeth Ragnhild Tweedy Sykes

Elizabeth Ragnhild Tweedy Sykes passed away on January 28, 2006 in San Angelo, Texas. She was the proud and gentle matriarch of a family that prospered under her love, energy, wisdom and devotion.

She was born October 22, 1918, in Portovello, Ecuador, a small town in the Andes, her father serving then as General Manager of a gold mine there. Her father was Andrew Mellick Tweedy of Knickerbocker, Texas; her mother Florence Dahl Tweedy, an R.N., was a third generation Norwegian-American of Washington State. Elizabeth¬'s childhood was filled with fascinating experiences, including travel through Indian country on a tributary of the Amazon River. In childhood she developed partial deafness, thought to have been secondary to anti-malarial medications. She became exceptionally proficient at lip reading. Her education in Ecuador was through the Calvert Course, designed for the children of American parents serving overseas. It was taught by a teacher brought to Portovello from America. For high school, she was sent to Hartridge School, a private girl¬'s school in Plainfield, New Jersey, hometown of the Tweedy family. She was President of the Student Council and recipient of the ¬"H¬" Medal awarded to the outstanding member of her graduating class. She graduated from Vassar College, Class of 1940.

She had a strong interest in anthropology and in the 1930¬'s identified several significant Pre-Columbian artifacts in the American West.

Her grandfather, Joseph Mellick Tweedy, was a pioneer West Texas rancher who, in 1877, established with three New Jersey friends, the Tweedy¬ĖKnickerbocker Sheep and Cattle Ranch in Tom Green County. It is still operated by Tweedy family descendants. He was an organizer and first president of the Wool Growers Association, antecedent of the Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers Association.

During World War II she returned to Texas where she met Captain Edwin M. Sykes Jr., Medical Corps, stationed then in the hospital at the San Angelo Army Air Force Bombadier School. They were married January 29, 1944, at St Marks Episcopal Church in San Antonio, Dr. Sykes¬' home town. After the ending of World War II and the completion of his surgical training, they settled in San Antonio. Upon his retirement in 1992 they moved to San Angelo and the Knickerbocker Ranch.

She was pre-deceased by her son, Thomas James Sykes, her brothers Andrew Mellick Tweedy, Jr. and John Bayard Tweedy, a sister-in-law Maria Margaret Sykes and her beloved cousins Katherine Tweedy Waring and Joseph Lord Tweedy of San Angelo.

She is survived by her husband of 62 years, four children, ten grandchildren, one great grandchild; a sister-in-law, Louise Morse Mrs. Andrew Tweedy; and a brother-in-law Dr. John H.J. Sykes of San Antonio.

Her surviving children are daughter Anne Bayard Sykes Reese & husband Morris Marcus Reese Jr, and their daughters Elizabeth Nickelson Reese Mrs. Christopher Haine, and Rachel Lantrip Reese Mrs. Michael Trulove; son Edwin Meredith Sykes III, his former wife Linda Moody and their children Sally Dahl Sykes Mrs. Owen Brainard, Edwin Meredith Sykes IV, Elizabeth Anne Bayard Sykes Mrs. Brent Rains, and Mary Janice Moody Sykes Mrs. Eric Reisdorf; son Dr. Mellick Tweedy Sykes and wife Barbara Taylor and their children Taylor Meredith Sykes Mrs. William Bowles, Mellick Tweedy Sykes, Jr., James Maestri Sykes and Anne Riordan Sykes; and son Andrew Drew Greenhow Sykes.

In San Angelo, she was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church and the Junior League. In San Antonio, she was a member of Our Reading Club, Military-Civilian Club, and the Junior League of San Antonio. She was a volunteer at Planned Parenthood of San Antonio and Sunshine Cottage, a school for deaf children. She also served on the Board of the Good Samaritan Center of San Antonio.

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. E. J. Waring 1015 Park Avenue
Mrs. L. E. Waring 120 West Seventh Street
Mrs. O. T. Waring 900 Park Avenue

1909 Plainfield City Directory

Waring Orville G, oil, h 900 Park av
Waring O T, president, The Plainfield Trust Company (26 Broadway, NY), h 900 Park av
Waring Richard S, clerk, h 900 Park av

Fleming Howard, importer, h 1012 Park av
Fleming James, h 122 E 5th
Fleming Owen H, advertising, h 1012 Park av
Fleming Peter, mgr, h 94 Grandview av, N P

1015 Park Avenue

Status: Unknown
Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms: 5 full, 1 partial
Property type: Single-Family Home
Size: –
Lot: 13,068 sqft
Year built: 1902
Zip: 07060

This Single-Family Home is located at 1015 Park Avenue, Plainfield NJ. 1015 Park Ave is in the 07060 ZIP code in Plainfield, NJ. The average listing price for ZIP code 07060 is $215,974. 1015 Park Ave has 5 beds, 6 baths, and was built in 1902

Listing Info for 1015 Park AveMost recent information provided by ERA Real Estate:
Price: $299,900
Status: Unknown
5 Bedrooms
5 full, 1 partial Bathrooms
Single-Family Home
Built In 1902
Lot Size: 13,068 sqft
Zip: 07060
Parking Spaces: 18
Rooms: 15
Heating Fuel: Natural Gas

1936 - 1937 Meeting Minutes

1938-1939 Meeting Minutes

Princeton Alumni Class 1891 from 1926

According to a special from Plainfield, N. J. to the Herald-Tribune of October ? Mr. Howard Fleming of 720 Arlington Ave, announces the engagement of his daughter, Miss Dorothy Fleming, to Mr. Orville Griffith Waring, a member of the City Council and President of the Bourne-Seymour Oil Co., New York. It is expected the wedding will take place this fall. The whole Class extends ? heartfelt congratulations.

1908 Commercial and Financial Chronicle The Plainfield Trust Company

National Register of Historic Places: Grace Episcopal Church

The decades of the 1940's and 1950s saw certain aesthetic improvements to the interior of the church. In 1940, a new limestone altar as given in memory of Edward and Annie Finch, by their children. Above the high altar is the carved white oak reredos given in memory of Orville Griffith Waring, a warden and vestryman for over fifty years.

National Register of Historic Places

In November 1964, the carved white oak pulpit was dedicated as a memorial to Dorothy Fleming Waring. The transept chapel was dedicated in June, 1966 as a memorial to Walter Charles Scott, by his wife. In 1968, the last major memorial donation to the parish came into being: the Ackerman Memorial Garden. It was designed by the landscape design firm of Innocenti & Webel. It is located directly alongside the church on the opposite side from Cleveland Avenue. It was offered as a memorial by the Ackerman family in honor of Marion and Sarah Ackerman

New York Times October 9, 1901

WEDDINGS OF A DAY
Waring - Fisk
Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Oct. 8. – The marriage of Miss Louise Green Fisk and Lewis Edmund Waring was celebrated yesterday. The wedding was the most brilliant society event that has taken place in this city this Fall. Invitations had been issued to more than 2,500 persons in this city, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Newport, Washington, and other various cities in this and adjacent States. Mrs. Waring is the eldest daughter of ex-Mayor and Mrs. Charles J. Fisk. Mr. Waring is a son of Mr. and Mrs. O. T. Waring. He is a member of the Hillside Golf Club of this city and also of the Baltusrol Golf Club.

The ceremony was performed at 8:30 o'clock in the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church by the pastor, the Rev. Dr. William R. Richards. A feature of the ceremony was the presence of a number of choir boys from Grace Protestant Episcopal Church, New York, who preceded the bridal party.

The ushers were Henry Lower, Laurens H. Van Buren, Richard S. Waring, Edward J. Waring, brothers of the bridegroom; Augustus R. Fisk of this city, Raymond Lefferts and Edward Sawyer of New York, Rutherford M. Shepard and J. Cheney Wells of Philadelphia. The flower girls were Miss Annie G. Fisk, sister of the bride, and Miss Eleanor Waring, sister of the bridegroom. The bridesmaids were Miss Margaretta Wood of Pittsburg, Penn.: Miss Esther Waterman of Southport, Conn.; Miss Helen Bushnell, Miss Helen Talmadge, Miss Florence Waring, a sister of the bridegroom; Miss Edith C. Fisk, a cousin of the bride, of this city, and Miss Evelyn Louise Fisk of Willburtha, N. J., aunt of the bride. Miss Fannie Cox of this city was maid of honor. The best man was Orville T. Waring, eldest brother of the bridegroom.

The bride wore a gown of chiffon with rose point lace and tulle veil. She carried a shower bouquet of white roses, orchids, and lilies of the valley.

After the ceremony an elaborate reception was held at the home of the bride's parents on West Seventh Street. Among the large number of presents received by the bride none attracted more attention than did the gift of Mrs. Richie, the bride's grandmother. It was linen worth $1,000, packed in an old German dower chest.

The Plainfield Trust Company

Lewis E. Waring, Edward Sweet & Co., Bankers, New York
Orville T. Waring, Standard Oil Company, New York

September 14, 2013 Trip to Kykuit

The road from Plainfield to Kykuit was traveled once again on Saturday as 19 made the trip to see the famed estate of John D. Rockefeller.

"Once again" you say?

Why, yes. Many Plainfielders worked for Mr. Rockefeller in his New York Standard Oil offices as well as offices located in the oil refineries right off Route 1 in Linden where the descendant companies of Standard Oil still store, refine and ship petroleum. These Plainfielders perhaps were not invited to Kykuit, but Rockefeller's lifelong friend and spirtual advisor most likely was an invited guest . . . and perhaps even his wife, founding PGC Member Mrs. Charles A. Eaton '15

Mrs. Eaton and her husband had their lives and fortunes changed upon meeting the owner of Kykuit. Mr. Eaton was the preacher at Euclid Avenue Baptist Church, situated on Cleveland's 'millionaire's row,' and as a result he came to the attention of John D. Rockefeller, a summer resident of Cleveland who attended church there. Rockefeller and Eaton became lifelong friends, and this connection influenced Eaton's future path.

This connection with Rockefeller also influenced Mr. Eaton's favorite nephew, Cyrus S. Eaton, who went to work for Rockefeller as a college student and later became one of America's greatest industrialists. He is best remembered (for those of us that can remember back to the '70's) for his role in US relations with the Soviet Union. In the late '60's his business deals with Communist Russia and the Rockefellers earned quite a bit of bad press.

In 1909, the Eatons followed Rockefeller by moving to what is now Watchung, but at one time was considered part of Plainfield. Their house still stands on Valley Road. Although a "dairy farmer" on their Valley Road estate "Sunbright," Mr. Eaton's main role was that of preacher to a prominent Madison Avenue Baptist Church congregation. However, after Mrs. Eaton helped found the PGC in 1915, in 1924, Mr. Eaton ran for Congress, won his seat and stayed there until 1952.

Congressman Eaton rose to become chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs and served on the Select Committee on Foreign Aid. Eaton signed the original United Nations Charter in San Francisco as part of a delegation representing the United States Government. He helped gain support for the Marshall Plan, also known as the Economic Cooperation Act of 1948, which was passed by Congress in 1948 by a vote of 329 to 74. For several years, he served in Congress alongside his nephew William R. Eaton, a Representative from Colorado.

Eaton was a steadfast opponent of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal. However, he was frequently invited to the White House for meetings with both presidents Roosevelt and Truman because of his sharp understanding of international politics.

While in Congress, he and Mrs. Eaton entertained many foreign dignitaries at their home. Between raising her family, and supporting her husband's career, Mrs. Eaton was very active in the PGC, serving as President twice, 1921 - 23, and then again in 1928-30.

The other likely Plainfielder to have made visits to Kykuit would have been the original owner of "The Castle" located at 900 Park Avenue. Mr. Orville T. Waring lovingly built that house and was partners with John D. Rockefeller, after selling his petroleum interests to him and then becoming Director of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey. Mr. Waring's daughter was founding member Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring) Timpson '15. His daughter-in-law was Mrs. Orville G. Waring '35.

Mr. Waring had eight children and two wives, and many of his progeny were elite members of the Plainfield Garden Club: Fleming, Hyde, Mellick, Tweedy, and MacLeod. When Mr. Waring's daughters were wed, the news appeared in the New York Times along with reports of Mr. Rockefeller and John D. Rockefeller, Jr.'s attendance at the events and their gifts of "gold and silver ornaments."

To view the photos from the most recent trip to Kykuit, click here: Field Trip to Kykuit

Other members associated with the Standard Oil Company and the Rockefellers included the large McGee clan:
McGee, Henry Augustus (Emma Louise Whiting) '22
McGee, Mrs. Harry Livingston (Sarah M. Howell) '18
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22

And of course Barbara Sandford was Rockefeller's neighbor on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, her father & John D. belonging to all the same clubs with the most notable distinction of being residents of "Millionaire's Row."

September 17, 2013 Reader writes in about his memories of Mr. Waring's home

Indeed a good read. Back in my day (the late '60s/early '70s) the Castle was the A.M. Runyon & Son funeral home, and it was co/owned by Gene Hendershot, father of my dear high school-age best friend Bud Hendershot. My late teen years were a period of trouble at home, so I spent many a night crashing on the third floor of the funeral home where the Hendershots made their home. The third floor was a great living space, and we enjoyed many an evening on the balcony off the dining room; the balcony overlooked the park next to the library. Nice view.

1954 - 1970 296 Images from Plainfield Library Scrapbook

April 7, 1961 Courier News 25 Years Ago, 1936

Members of the Plainfield Garden Club exhibiting in the International Flower Show in New York were: Mrs. Leslie R. Fort, president, Mrs. Richard M. Lawton, Mrs. William S. Tyler, Mrs. Cornelius B. Tyler, Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Miss Dorothea Tingley, Mrs. Walter M. McGee, Mrs. Arthur G. Nelson, P. Marshall, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd Jr., Mrs. Stephen G. Van Hoesen, Mrs. Elliott C. Laidlaw, Mrs. Clinton F. Ivins, Miss Edna Brown, Mrs. Harold Brown, Mrs. Orville G. Waring, Mrs. DeWitt Hubbell, Mrs. Irwin Taylor and Mrs. Harry H. Pond.

1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'

November 30, 2013: Found in Barbara Tracy Sandford's memorabilia. Written by PGC Member Mrs. Garret Smith

"I call Plainfield the City of Beautiful Trees," and out-of-town visitor remarked to me the other day. "My business takes me to many towns about this size clear across the country. Trees, or their lack, always impress me most about a town. Beautiful building can't make up for the lack of them. Many towns seem to have choice trees only in one or two sections. Others have only a few tree-lined avenues. But every part of Plainfield has not only interesting individual trees, but long stretches of streets where treetops meet in green arches above the traffic. That doesn't just happen. This town must have been founded by tree-lovers."

The stranger was right, as many specimen trees on old private properties testify. They are trees that were rare and expensive when planted years ago. A number of well-to-do property owners appreciated trees and collected choice kinds. The street trees of about this age also show that far-sighted men planned to make the town keep growing more beautiful in ways that everyone enjoys.

Trees have always been essential to Plainfielders. In the early days elms stretched down North Ave. from east to the west city boundaries. Many still remain now 70 to 80 years old. That avenue helped to establish Plainfield's policy of "beautiful trees for every street."

Value Appreciated
The city's mayors and councilmen have appreciate the value of trees . . . Ginko . . . now ripening, in the edge of the station grounds, near the corner of the drug store.

Among its immediate neighbors, at this station are a Red Maple, Austrian Pine, English Elm, Horse Chestnut, several Magnolias and a Sycamore Maple, the latter near the middle of the grass oval. Purple Beech, White Pine and two Hemlocks stand at the west exit.

Lindens at Spot
On the North Ave. side of the station is an interesting clump of three Lindens – no two alike. Evergreens are represented by three Scotch Pines, an Austrian and a White Pine, and a tall, slender Spruce. In this little park are also Sugar Swamp and Silver Maples, and a clump of low-growing Beeches. Looking upward to the railroad level, one sees, besides the specimen Ginko mentioned, two Catalpas, a Weeping Mulberry, two Red Maples and an Austrian Pine. A big Pin Oak, two or three Scarlet Oaks, a . . . .

. . . boats glided over Green Brook and when Plainfield and New York social leaders came in big carriages, drawn by spanking teams, to garden musicals, gay dinners, dances and teas as the Johnston's guests.

All of Plainfield's school grounds are constantly growing more attractive. Environment of vines, trees, plants and shrubs awaken appreciation of Nature's beauty that is a lifelong source of pleasure.

Hubbard School, one of the city's architectural gems, has always been regarded as in a class by itself. Its beauty is greatly enhanced by choice plant material on its ample grounds, partly framed by Barberry. Large specimen Japanese Yews arrest attention, along with Sourwoods, or "Lily-of-the-Valley Tree," whose branches bear long one-sided racemes of white flowers in summer and whose leaves are vivid scarlet in autumn.

White Pine, Cedar, Pfitzer Junipers are shadowy evergreen foils for airy bloom of Weeping Japanese . . .

Among them are the old Elms in North Ave., mentioned before; London Planes from Watchung Ave. to Terrill Rd.; Ash in St. Mary's Ave.; Pin Oaks and Planes in Park Ave.; Sycamore Maples in Bellevue Ave.; Norway Maples in both Leland and Monroe Ave. sections. Tulip trees now grow in Central St., along Maxon School grounds, and Ginkos in Landsdowne Terr. In Cleveland Ave., near Grace Church, the lacy foliage of the decorative Mountain Ash, or Rowan Tree, contrasts at this season with bunches of bright hollylike berries. Many years ago the late Simeon Cruikshank planted Buckeyes along his corner property ["Sacmoore" 831 Belvidere] at Belvidere and Watchung Aves. Much smaller than familiar Horse Chestnut and with brighter pink flower-spikes they have always been greatly admired. In autumn the brilliant, scarlet, star-shape leaves of Liquid-ambar, or Sweetgum, glorifies a patch of Ravine Rd. After a shower, or if bruised, the foliage is fragrant. Corky bark and thorny-skinned fruit like little apples, complete this tree's unique characteristics.

Close to 150 trees, of many species, are part of the Muhlenberg Hospital landscape. The long front path beneath the Maples, and on the west the wide Elm-bordered stretch of green lawn leading to a quiet pool, with its amusing little bronze fountain figure, form two vistas of ever-increasing charm. Wide borders of intermingling trees and flowering shrubs frame the property.

The purple leaves of the two Schwedler Maples attract much attention in the spring. So do the Apple trees and Dogwoods that trim the grounds like big bouquets, set off by Hemlocks, Spruce and Pine. Chinese Dogwoods, given by graduate nurses, are especially prized. Devoted interest of the late Marie Louis, nature-lover and for years superintendent of Muhlenberg, helped turn once common-plant "grounds" into a tree-shaded garden spot both restful and diverting.

Dogwood Favorites
Native Dogwoods are favorites among the city's flowering trees. The Plainfield Garden Club, on its own recent 25th birthday, gave small grove of these "Jewels of the Forest" to Cedar Brook Park. On the T. H. Van Bosckerck grounds on Prospect Ave. is the handsome large group of Dogwoods on private property in town. On Dr. Elmer Weigel's lawn on Belvidere Ave [630 Belivdere – see Mrs. Joost]. Chinese Dogwood bears much larger and later blooms. Directly across the street from this, and close to the sidewalk, a low-growing Witch Hazel (Hamanelis) bears yellow Forsythia-like flowers in winter.

Before the Talmadge dwelling [714 Belvidere], in the the same street, are majestic Copper Beeches. In early days Beeches were popular selections for large grounds. Probably the finest Weeping Beech in the city grows in deserted grounds in Central Ave. Nearby on the Witon property is a huge Purple Beech – both almost perfect. Farther down the avenue, on Wardlaw School grounds [1030 Central Avenue - see Below], is a fine old Ginko.

The only Katsura Tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) in Plainfield is owned by former Mayor Leighton Calkins [929 Madison – see Below]. Its strange trunk and heart-shaped leaves, purplish when young, are unusual. It grows in front of the house in Madison Ave.

Unique among Plainfield trees is a native Orange of the South. it is today laden with velvety, green fruit in Mrs. Howard Tracy's Prospect Ave. garden [1331 Prospect Ave]. Probably nowhere else in this region can one be found, according to Shade Tree Commissioner Lithgow Hunter. Sent north from Maryville College in Tennessee 50 years ago. . . .

. . . residents seeking permanent homes. These officials have always planned with the Shade Tree Commission since its organization, so that every year more trees come marching in. Some fill vacancies in the ranks of old trees along old streets. Others shade tireless blocks in new sections of town.

For the last 17 years, one man, Sidney Durant, the Shade Tree Commission's expert supervisor of trees, has directed its work. it includes feeding, pruning, watering and repairing the city's 25,000 street trees, as well removal of dead or too-badly-injured trees and planting new ones. For nearly 20 years Thomas F. Hylan has served on the commission, of which he is now president.

Of all the city's trees, the strange Ginko, or Maiden-hair tree, grows to a height of 80 feet or so. The delicacy of its little leaves, resembling those of the Maiden-Hair fern, contrast sharply with the arrow-straight upswept branches of what is considered one of the most beautiful and unusual of all hardy exotic trees. The Ginko's origin is a mystery. Nowhere on earth is it been found wild, yet fossils prove it was once scattered all over the world. Nothing else today resembles the Ginko, so paleontologists reason that some series of misfortunes destroyed all missing links. Today's closest relative is the Yew family, thought at a glance they appear as unrelated as a Chines and a New England Yankee.

Planted Near Temples
Early explorers found Ginkos planted around Chinese and Japanese temples. The Chinese called in Yin-Hing – "Silver Apricot" – referring to the greenish-yellow, fleshy fruit having a single stone. This fruit, slightly roasted, was served throughout the formal Chinese dinners which lasted all day. Guests nibble the finlike fruit between courses as an aid to digestion.

The Ginko did not reach England until 1754. The first specimen in this country was planted in Woodlands Cemetery, Philadelphia. In 1889 the Ginko fruited for the first time there on the grounds of Charles Wister. fifty years ago these newcomers to America were not only scarce, but expensive. That Plainfield has so many beautiful old specimens of these trees is possibly due to the fact that John Taylor Johnston, then president of the New Jersey Central Railroad and a resident of this city, was not only a patron of the arts, but a lover of trees. Each of Plainfield's railroad station grounds had not only fine specimens of the Ginko, but also a varied collection of other trees, evidently selected by an expert.

Netherwood, nearest the Johnston home [see Below], was especially favored. Here, beside the north track, stands a regal Ginko, carefully located as an artist would plan his canvas, so that its top is etched against the sky. This emphasizes the beauty of leaf and branch and trunk as viewed from the eastbound station platform. ?? may see a younger . . .

. . . White Oak and Elms are among the trees fringing the western boundary.

"The property as a whole is a remarkable small arboretum," said a well-known visiting tree scientist recently, after inspecting the Netherwood station park. "In my travels I've seen no other railroad station grounds with such a variety of trees. This landscaping, too, I can see was done by an expert."

In employing such an expert to beautify the railroad property in his home town, Mr. Johnston was carrying out the spirit of the statement he made at the time the Metropolitan Museum of New York City was founded at his Fifth Ave. mansion. He was quoted as saying:

"The public ought to have a chance to see, to hear and to know more about whatever feeds the mind and is inspiring, if we are to have the best kind in America."

To even a novice in landscaping, the Netherwood station grounds show that underlying motive. One could not imagine either the south or north oval either diminished of enlarged – so true is their scale. It would be hard to find more beautiful flowering trees than those Magnolias; or more intriguing contrast of leaf, branch and trunk than offered by the Ginko and the Pine. On the north side the clump of Lindens, combined with an apparently outcropping "pudding stone," make a "garden composition" that suggest to the home gardener similar effective arrangements, though not necessarily identical in material.

Beautiful Estate
Some old residents recall that Mr. Johnston's estate in E. Front St. was lavishly beautified with choice trees, as were those of most of his neighbors along that splendid avenue of that day. Some of those estates are still being kept up as homes of their owners today, while others have been divided into beautiful setting for developments of small homes.

The Johnston estate, however, furnished the basis of another public development of beauty spots. A portion of it became the site of the new Barlow School [see Below]. These school grounds are said to be unequaled in the state in the variety and placement of superb trees. What some consider the finest Weeping Beech in town grows here, also two majestic evergreens, one a White Pine, the other a Spruce. Elm, Ginko, Cucumber tree, Ash, "Button Ball," Willow and Sugar Maple are also outstanding.

Two of the most interesting, although not the most conspicuous of the group, are a true English Oak (Quercus Robur) and a Yellow Wood (Cladrastis lute). The first has smallish leaves, thick-set upon the branch. A strange characteristic is that the stem adheres to the side of the acorn. The writer knows of only one other English Oak in town – Central Ave., near Stelle Ave.

The Yellow Wood has wisteria-like racemes of white fragrant flowers in midsummer. Leaves resemble the locust. Another fine specimen grows on the property of Miss Laura Detwiller in Hillside Ave.

All were here in the days . . . .

. . . when Cherry, Dogwood and Crab. In early spring the large leathery-leaved evergreen Japanese Andromeda (Pieris) unfold delicate, coppery leaves and waxy white racemes of tiny flowers. These are classified as shrubs, but on these favorable grounds, are almost small trees of exceptional beauty.

Preservation is Theme
The good judgement of George R. Zimmer, who for many years has supervised Plainfield's school grounds, is shown not only in what has already been accomplished, but in developments being planned. "What can we preserve?" not "What can we cut down?" is his motto. Before clearing the recently purchased grounds adjoining Maxon School was begun this summer, Mr. Zimmer marked every large and small tree that "might some day be of use somewhere." Workmen were warned to cut not one of these.

The City Police Headquarters and also the old Public Library have a setting of trees. The little Library Park is said to have been reserved from farmland whose native trees – mostly, Red, White and Black Oaks – were left standing. Across the facade of Fire Headquarters are a Ginko, a London Plane and Horse Chestnut – each an unusually fine specimen. Among Netherwood firemen are enthusiastic gardeners. Each spring many of Plainfield's 3,000 commuters take great interest in "what the boys are doing to their grounds." Everything planted seems to do well, even the peonies, marking the line between the firemen's parklike grounds and the railroad cinder-bed.

On spacious City Hall grounds is not only a variety of evergreens, but also of deciduous trees, selected for beauty of form, leaf or flower. Two Cryptomeria, "Aristocrats of Evergreens," donated recently by Plainfield's near-centenarian, Miss Isabel Tweedy, and a tall Himalayan Pine in town was brought here by the late Harry K. Tetsuka, to adorn his well-known Japanese garden in Belvidere Ave [556 Belvidere].

The Holly tree on City Hall grounds is another tree found on but few properties. It was donated by Herbert Moody [see Below], when The Courier-news gift of 5,000 bulbs roused a widespread interest in more beautiful grounds, in keeping with the architectural beauty of the building. Evergreens were given immediately by former Mayor Marion F. Ackerman, and a Dogwood by Thomas F. Hylan, whose keen interest in the property extends back to 25 years ago, when, as Councilman, he served on the City Hall Building Committee. This season former Councilman Orville G. Waring, son of the late Mayor Waring, donated several valuable Pfitzer Junipers.

Not Monotonous
Many species of trees planted along our city streets make green lanes that are not monotonous.

. . . . stood for most of that time in this sheltered nook. The fruits, when ripe, are decorative, but not edible. Edible oranges grown only on grafted stock. The thorny branches of this small tree resemble Osage Orange, or "Indian Bow-wood."

Figs are also ripening now in Plainfield. Within a stone's throw of Netherwood station is Watson Ave. It is only three blocks long and from spring to fall it glows with flowers. In one little garden grows a carefully tended Fig tree that bears fruit yearly. Each fall the owner buries his Fig tree in a deep trench well below the frost-line. Each spring it is dug out and reset.

One great wide-spreading Mulberry (Morus Multicaulus) towers far above the roof-top of Leslie R. Fort's home in Cedarbrook Rd. This venerable tree is the historic survivor of a Mulberry plantation, established during the "Multicaulus Mania," by the late Senator Martine [11 Brook Lane, see Below], as a venture to yield gigantic profits on his farm that included the Cedar Brook tract. He believed with others that New Jersey would be one of the world's silk-growing centers. Convinced that silk was to take the place of cotton, New Jersey farmers set out thousands of acres of "silk-worm mulberries" about 100 years ago, only to cut down the trees when the bubble burst.

One of the most varied private collection of trees in the city is that of Miss Jessie D. Munger in Prospect Ave. In recent years instructors at Rutgers University have brought students to these grounds to study the trees and other plant material as well as the garden design. Last spring the general public enjoyed the same privilege.

Love of trees is part of the tradition that has helped mould Plainfield into a city of pleasant homes on quiet streets. The late Jonas Lie, one of our city's most distinguished citizens, sensed this characteristic of our community. In the Common Council Chamber at City Hall hangs his gift – a mountain woodland scene, interpreted by his illustrious brush as an inspiring message to us all.

To learn more about the history of some of the people and places mentioned in this article, visit these links:

[Maxson School]
Stillman, Mrs. William Maxson (Elizabeth B. Atwood) '15

[630 Belvidere]
Joost, Mrs. Sherman Brownell (Marie Murray) '19

[714 Belvidere]
Dunbar, Mrs. William Kuhn '17
Rock, Mrs. Robert B. '43
Runkle, Mrs. Harry Godley (Jennie Fitz Randolph) '15
Whitehead, Mrs. James Harold (Jean Fitz-Randolph Heiberg) '43

[1030 Central Avenue – duCret School]
Huntington, Mrs. Howard (Agnes Fales Strong) '19
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22
Zerega, Miss Bertha Virginia '23

[929 Madison Avenue]
Ackerman, Mrs. Marion S.(Sarah M. Wills) '35

[Johnston Estate on Front Street & Netherwood]
Mali, Mrs. Pierre (Frances Johnston) '18

[Barlow School East front Street – former estate of "Blojocamavi" owned by Lewis V. Fitz Randolph/Johnston estate]
Barlow, Mrs. Carlton Montague (June Simms) '70
Barlow, Mrs. DeWitt Dukes (Mary Lee Brewer), Jr. '65
Dunbar, Mrs. William K., Jr. (Elizabeth or "Libby" Hail Barlow) '47
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49
(Also see Mrs. Runkle and Mrs. Whitehead above)

[City Hall]
Moody, Mrs. George T. '22
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49

[11 Brook Lane, Martine House]
MacLeod, Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) '55

1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'

1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'

December 11, 2013 Gathering of the Greens at Hillside

We had three known members of the Waring clan in the PGC. The first two are:

Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) MacLeod '55, our President in 1958

Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring) Timpson '15, a founding member of the PGC

December 11, 2013 Gathering of the Greens at Hillside

The Warings

We learned about the Warings on the recent trip to Kykuit as the senior Orville Waring was a business associate of J.D. Rockefeller. His beloved home is now a Plainfield landmark on Park Avenue.

With the snow, it is hard to tell, but this marker seems to be for "our" Mrs. Waring – see her initials on the right "D.F.W" and her husband's on the left "O.G.W."

Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) Waring '35

December 11, 2013 Gathering of the Greens at Hillside

The Center of the Waring Cross

"IHS" are the initials in the center of the cross. These represent the Greek letters Iota (Ι), Eta (Η) and Sigma (Σ), which are the first three letters of Jesus in Greek.

February 9, 2014

Having a web presence if fun! We get interesting email like this one:

name: Mary Waring Waldron
email:
phone:

message:

I was looking through the internet for information on my great grandfather, Orville T. Waring, and came upon your very interesting history, which starts with a notice of the death of "Aunt Dorothy." I am a member of the Greenwich Garden Club.

In response, we referred Mary (Greenwich Garden Club is a GCA Club) to her relatives that we know were PGC members (there could be more):

MacLeod, Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) '55, President 1958 - 1960
Timpson, Mrs. Lewis Gouveneur (Helen Frances Waring) '15
Waring, Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) '35

The Waring family was a very prominent Plainfield family. Sally recently reminisced about Mrs. MacLeod, whom she remembered as being a very attractive woman. The few photos we have of Carolyn Waring MacLeod confirm that. Mr. Waring, if you remember, was in business with Mr. Rockefeller – much discussed on the recent foray to Kykuit in the Fall.

1901 Harper's Official Golf Guide

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

1916 Metal Industry

William Andrew Conner, of Plainfield, N.J., died suddenly December 6, 1t his office in Perth Amboy, N.J. He was born in Baltimore, September 12, 1859, and began his business career in 1876 in Pittsburgh, in the oil refining business, in which he reached the position of assistant manager for the Standard Oil Company. In 1883 he took charge of the first plant built by the Standard Underground Cable Company, which manufactured copper wire and cables, of Canada, Limited in Hamilton, Canada, and from then to the time of his death he was the head of the manufacturing business of that company; including large plants planned and built by him in Pittsburgh, Pa; Perth Amboy, N.J., Oakland, Cal, and Hamilton, Canada. He was a director for ten years and first vice-president since 1909. He was vice-president of the Perth Amboy Trust Company, in whose inception he had an active part.

He was cousin of E. J. Waring of the Standard Underground Cable Company, and of the late Richard S. Waring, founder of the company and the inventor of "Waring" cables.

Hillside Historic District

August 29, 2015

Hillside Historic District has announced a new website: http://hillsideavenuedistrict.com

They have neatly listed the homes in the district in a similar fashion to our Homes & Gardens page.

It is no exaggeration to say that the PGC helped build Hillside. In fact our first club meeting took place at Mrs. Connor's home at 999 Hillside. Take a look at our PGC Hillside Historic District resident members:

807 Hillside Avenue
Browne, Miss Elizabeth B. '37

810 Hillside Avenue
Barnhart, Mrs. Noah Chisholm (Susan Stevens) '15

816 Hillside Avenue
Zerega, Miss Bertha Virginia '23

817 Hillside Avenue
Lawton, Mrs. Richard M. (Edith Clarke) '21

832 Hillside Avenue
Yates, Mrs. Frederick Washburn (Bertha Kedzie Cornwell) '15

921 Hillside Avenue
Detwiller, Miss Laura Cecelia '29
Detwiller, Mrs. Charles H. (Catherine or "Cath" Campbell), Jr. '57

922 Hillside Avenue
Atterbury, Mrs. Albert Hoffman (Emma H. Baker) '15

930 Hillside Avenue
Corey, Mrs. Ella J. '15

937 Hillside Avenue
Hunn, Mrs. John T. Sharpless (Hope Ivins) '37
Ivins, Mrs. DeWitt Clinton (Louise Morton Fox) '15
Ivins, Mrs. Clinton Fox (Marguerite Carpenter) '33

945 Hillside Avenue
Stevens, Mrs. Horace N. (Helen Coburn) '15

950 Hillside Avenue
Harlow, Mrs. Edward Dexter (Elise Cochran Martin) '15
Martin, Mrs. Francis A. (Mary Keech Turner) '22

955 Hillside Avenue
Wallace, Mrs. Frederick W. (Grace Seccomb) '15
deForest, Mrs. Henry Lockwood (Amy Brighthurst Brown) '33

966 Hillside Avenue
Warren, Mrs. Frank D. '15

970 Hillside Avenue
Barnhart, Mrs. Noah Chisholm (Susan Stevens) '15
Kroll, Mrs. Alexander (Nancy Dwinnell or Mrs. Prince H. Gordon) '60

975 Hillside Avenue
Runkle, Mrs. Harry Godley (Jennie Fitz Randolph) '15
Albin, Mrs. Leland D. (Jennie Hoag) '36
King, Mrs. Victor E. D. (Yasmina S.) '78
Whitehead, Mrs. James Harold (Jean Fitz-Randolph Heiberg) '43

980 Hillside Avenue
Hall, Mrs. Frederic L. (Anne Garrigues Wigton) '68
Stuart, Mrs. Linden (Jeanette W.), Jr. '52
Wigton, Mrs. Charles Benson (Garrigues) '45

982 Hillside Avenue
Baker, Mrs. Clifford Myron (Margaret Drayton) '32
Valiant, Mrs. John (Katharine Drayton) '40

985 Hillside Avenue
Stevens, Mrs. John Peters ("J.P.") '15
Stevens, Mrs. Horace Nathaniel (Helen Coburn) '15
Stevens, Mrs. John Peters ("J.P."), Jr. (Edith S.) '37
Stevens, Mrs. Robert Ten Broeck (Dorothy Goodwin Whitney) '37

996 Hillside Avenue
Wallace, Mrs. Frederick W. (Grace Seccomb) '15
Murray Townsend
Mooney, Mrs. Wandell McMaster (Alice Joy McGee) '47

999 Hillside Avenue
Conner, Mrs. William A. (Florence Tupper) '15
Wigton, Mrs. William Garrigues (Ann Hayes) '55

1000 Hillside Avenue
Lawrence, Mrs. Chester B. (Florence B.), Jr. '22

1005 Hillside Avenue
McWilliams, Mrs. Howard (Anna Louise Waldbridge/Mrs. Paul Taylor Brown) '22

1007 Hillside Avenue
Lockwood, Mrs. Frederick M. (Hazel Marshall) '52
Marshall, Mrs. Henry P. (Dorothy Burke) '30

1009 Hillside Avenue
Tracy, Mrs. Evarts '22
Tracy, Mrs. Howard Crosby (Minerva Bingham Lamson) '15
Tracy, Mrs. J. Evarts (Caroline Frederica Streuli) '22

1019 Hillside Avenue
Baker, Mrs. Clifford Myron (Margaret Drayton) '28

1030 Hillside Avenue
Stillman, Mrs. William Maxson (Ethel Lucile Titsworth) '42

1035 Hillside Avenue
Streuli, Mrs. Alfred F. H. (Frederica Michelle Dwyer Hooper) '15

1045 Hillside Avenue
Timpson, Mrs. Lewis Gouverneur (Helen Frances Waring) '15
Waring, Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) '35

1046 Hillside Avenue
Genung, Mrs. Alfred Gawthrop (Dorothy or "Dot" Madsen) '69
Madsen, Mrs. John (Evelyn or "Evie" Wilson) '70

1300 Prospect Avenue
Streuli, Mrs. Alfred F. H. (Frederica Michelle Dwyer Hooper) '15
Tracy, Mrs. J. Evarts (Caroline Frederica Streuli) '22

1234 Watchung Avenue
Stevenson, Mrs. E. Vickers '41

1239 Watchung Avenue
Brown, Miss Edna M. '34