Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Rushmore, Mrs. Townsend (Jean Betram Murray) '20

1910 Haverford Alumni directory: 524 Stelle Avenue

1922 Directory: Not listed.

Plainfield Garden Club member Mrs. Murray J. (Virginia) Rushmore '71, 524 Stelle Avenue married Mrs. Townsend Rushmore's grandson, Murray Jr.

Plainfield Garden Club member Mrs. James R. Joy '33 daughter, Miss Helen Joy, married Mrs. Townsend Rushmore's son, Murray, in 1921

Mrs. Townsend (Jean Murray) Rushmore '20 is related to the following PGC members:

Mrs. Henry Augustus (Emma Louise Whiting) McGee
Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) McGee
Mrs. James R. (Emma Prentice McGee) Joy
Mrs. Wandell (Alice Joy) Mooney
Mrs. Murray (Helen Joy) Rushmore
Mrs. Ernest Ackerman
Mrs. M. S. Ackerman
Joost, Mrs. Sherman Brownell (Marie Murray) '19
Murray, Mrs. J. Everett '20
Roome, Mrs. John Stanton (Dolores Murray or "Dody") '5…
Rushmore, Mrs. Murray (Helen Joy)

December 4, 1890 New York Times Wedding Announcement

PLAINFIELD, NJ, Dec. 3 – Councilman Townsend Rushmore was married this evening to Miss Jean Murray, daughter of John N. Murray of Central Avenue. The ceremony took place at the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. The bride was attended by Miss Gussie Murray as maid of honor, and Miss Minnie Murray and Miss Gertrude Rushmore as bridesmaids. Bobert Rushmore, a brother of the groom, acted as best man. The ushers were Messrs. W. D. Murray, Walter Murray, James Murray, Ernest R. Ackerman, George M. Giffen and Jules Erickson.

1905 Bankers Magazine

resource

Louise Rushmore: Deaths reported by the "Long Islander" 1891 - 1900

RUSHMORE Louise * 35 years

d. 18 March 1892 at Oyster Bay; consumption; wife of Townsend Rushmore

September 22,1901 New York Times article: Golf Games at Plainfield

PLAINEIELD, N.J., Sept. 21. – Playing for the President's Cup at the grounds of the Park Golf Club was continued this afternoon. Townsend Rushmore won the honors of the day, defeating. S.St. John McCutcheon by six points. Bach made the same gross score, 105 strokes, But handicap allowances gave Rushmore a net score of 80 to 86 for McCutcheon

Pamela Rushmore Wagner: April 8, 2010 obituary

Pamela Wagner | Visit Guest Book


Mrs. Pamela Rushmore Wagner, 58, of Greer, wife of Russell Wagner, passed away Sunday, April 4, 2010.
Born in Plainfield, NJ, Pam was a daughter to Virginia Davison Rushmore and the late Murray Rushmore.
Pam served as an active member and leader in: Junior League of Greenville, JLG Singers, Urban League, Buena Vista PTA, Woody Creek Homeowner's Association, Sugar Creek Garden Club, Meals on Wheels, Kiwanis Club of Greenville-Eastside, Guild of the Greenville Symphony, Greenville Symphony, Rotary Book Club, Children's Hospital Volunteer and Greenville Women Giving.
Surviving in addition to her husband and mother, are her children, son, Russell Wagner Jr. of Greenville; daughters: Evelyn W. Hagood and her husband Richard of Charlotte, NC and Alice Wagner of Nashville, TN; sisters: Barbara Rushmore of Dover, NH and Sarah Jones of Ithaca, NY; brother, Andy Rushmore of Voorhees, NJ.
A memorial service will be held Friday, April 9, 2010 at 4PM in the chapel of The Mackey Mortuary with the Rev. Dr. Baxter Wynn officiating.
The family will receive friends Thursday from 4:30 until 6:30 at the mortuary.
The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Greenville Women Giving, 27 Cleveland Street Ste. 101, Greenville, SC 29601, for the benefit of Children's Hospital and cancer.
Arrangements by The Mackey Mortuary, online registry at www.mackeymortuary.com

March 13, 1921 New York Times wedding announcement

RUSHMORE - JOY

Miss Helen Joy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. Joy, and Murray Rushmore, son of Mr. and Mrs. Townsend Rushmore, all of Plainfield, NJ, were married yesteday afternoon in the First Methodist Church in Plainfield by the Rev. Bishop Charles Bayard Mitchell who officiated a tthe wedding of the bride's parents.

The bride is a graduate of Wellesley College, class of '13, and served two years overseas with the YWCA. Mr. Rushmore graduated from Yale, class of '13 and was a First Lieutenant in the 314th Field Artillery overseas, serving through the Meuse-Argonne operations.

Samuel Rushmore, Rushmore Dynamo Works. residence: 777 Belvidere

Among the stately homes along winding Belvidere Avenue was the residence of Samuel Rushmore. For years he lived at 777 Belvidere. Rushmore was the inventor of the automobile self-starter, headlights, searchlights for ships, plus many other inventions which did not come into use until after his patents had expired.

This location is also known as the Rushmore-Coffin House because during the reign of Jersey City Mayor Hague in the 1930's and 1940's, a coffin was placed on the roof to protest the mayor's alleged corruption. This home also has a carriage house on Ravine Road to which a tunnel is connected to the main house

www.netherwoodheights.com

Title: Inventor's place in Plainfield, 1935.
Publication Date: December 13, 2009
Photographer: Paul R. Collier
Description: A 1939 photo of Samuel W. Rushmore's home, located on Belvidere Avenue in Plainfield. An engineer, Rushmore invented the automobile self-starter and hydraulic brake system. He also made improvements to automobile headlights and searchlights for ships. The house is decorated with a funeral bunting and banner reading, "Liberty is Dead." The bunting and banner are expressions of Rushmore's outrage over political corruption at the time. The structure still stands as a private home.

Plainfield Library Archives

March 13, 1939 Time Magazine article

When Frank Hague Jr., who was never graduated from law school, was nominated, to please his Jersey City boss father, as a lay judge on New Jersey's Court of Errors & Appeals (TIME, March 6), 68-year-old Inventor Samuel W. Rushmore was disgusted. Because words failed him, he ordered the 1,250 trees on his Plainfield, N. J. estate chopped down, planned to tear down his two-story house "brick by brick," erect a $220,000 maternity hospital for Negroes on its site, and leave the State forever

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760944,00.html#ixzz19uONMQCj

Samuel Willis Rushmore

First wife was Grace D. Tabor
Second wife was Hazel Wallace Howe

From Plainfield, New Jersey's History & Architecture by John Grady and Dorothe Pollard

The eccentric Samuel Rushmore held several patents for automobile parts. Rushmore displayed a rare trace of humor in his magazine advertisement promoting an efficient colling process for the automobile.

Plainfield by John A. Grady and Dorothe M. Pollard

Samuel Rushmore, a gifted inventor, made a fortune perfecting the automobile headlight. Rushmore began construction on his unique Netherwood home c. 1915

"Hellzapoppin on the Hill Today," ran a Plainfield Courier-News banner in 1939. Over a political protest, the eccentric millionaire Samuel Rushmore began deliberately dismantling his estate. Cutting down trees, burning automobiles, and uprooting specimen bushes, Rushmore wreaked considerable damage to his property. Fortunately, the house was ultimately spared.

Plainfield by John A. Grady and Dorothe M. Pollard

They also serve who only sit and wait. A Rushmore family pet begs chauffeured transportation to a neighborhood with more trees and less political controversy.

Samuel W. Rushmore

Plainfield Library

Plainfield Humane Society Takes Animal Care to Heart, 1938.

This photograph, taken Feb. 11, 1938, shows the Plainfield Humane Society of Rock Avenue decorated for Valentine's Day. The Plainfield Humane Society opened in 1933, and in 1938, with financial support from longtime benefactor Samuel W. Rushmore, building repairs were made, new veterinary equipment was purchased, and a 54-foot sign was installed on the top of the hospital. The new facility became more than a simple shelter; it was devoted to the hospitalization of the city's sick and injured animals. Rushmore, a Plainfield resident, insisted the society's five outbuildings and the dog warden's home (pictured) be painted with large red hearts in time for Valentine's Day in 1938. The grand opening was publicized in the daily newspaper with the phrase, "Have a Heart – Help Your Pals!" Now known as the Plainfield Area Humane Society, the organization continues to operate at 75 Rock Avenue.

Photo ID: CN2080 - Part of the Courier News Photograph Collection. R. H. Sears, photographer

Merklee Family Geneology

http://www.merklee.com/genealogy/CM/rr01_013.html#P5618

Fourth Generation (Continued)

–––––––––––––––––––––––
Family of Elizabeth Ann MERKLEE (15) & James McGEE


35. Henry Augustus McGEE. Born on 27 Dec 1850 in New York, NY. Died on 17 Oct 1914 in Plainfield, NJ.

He married Emma Louise WHITING. Born in 1853 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 26 Oct 1930 in North Plainfield, NJ.

They had the following children:
53 i. Clifford Whiting (1873-1958)
ii. Harry Livingston. Born on 13 Feb 1876 in Plainfield, NJ. Died on 26 Nov 1960.

iii. Raymond. Born on 11 Nov 1879 in Plainfield, NJ.

54 iv. Donald Ashbrook (1883-1937)

36. Caroline "Carrie" Leake McGEE. Born on 12 May 1853 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY.

She married Charles E. HORNE. Died on 2 Oct 1922 in Plainfield, NJ.

They had the following children:
i. Elsie Rutherford. Born on 16 Sep 1876 in Plainfield, NJ.

55 ii. George Augustus (1877-)
iii. Arthur Whiting. Born on 5 Feb 1881 in Plainfield, NJ. Died on 26 Aug 1882 in Plainfield, NJ.

56 iv. Frederick Roland (1884-)

37. Gertrude Anne McGEE. Born on 20 Jul 1855 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died abt 1955.

She married Edward Graham ASHBROOK. Died on 16 Mar 1901 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA.

They had the following children:
i. Myron G.. Born on 29 May 1883 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. Died on 29 May 1883 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA.

57 ii. Charlotte Garwood (1885-)
58 iii. Margaret Garwood (1891-1990)

38. Walter Miller McGEE. Born on 27 Jan 1860 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 30 May 1952 in North Plainfield, NJ. Occupation: Standard Oil Company.

He married Mary Alice YERKES, daughter of Rev. David John YERKES & Sarah E. TAYLOR. Born on 13 May 1861 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 11 Jun 1949 in North Plainfield, NJ.

They had the following children:
i. Walter Vaughan. Born on 23 Jul 1884 in Plainfield, NJ. Died bef 30 May 1952. He married Florence WILDEY. Died in 1912.

ii. Alice Elizabeth. Born on 14 Feb 1891 in Plainfield, NJ. She married Herbert Sperry DUCRET.


39. Emma Prentice McGEE. Born on 9 Jul 1864 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 5 Apr 1934 in Plainfield, NJ.

She married James R. JOY.

They had the following children:
i. Alice. She married Wandell MOONEY.

ii. Helen. She married Murray RUSHMORE.


40. Adelaide Frances McGEE. Born on 10 Aug 1866 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. Died on 16 Sep 1958.

She married Herbert WELCH, son of Peter WELCH & Mary Louisa LOVELAND. Buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, NY.

They had the following children:
59 i. Dorothy McGee (1891-)
ii. Eleanor Loveland. Born on 3 Sep 1900 in Middletown, CT

James Hervey Ackerman

Birth: 1837
New Brunswick
Middlesex County
New Jersey, USA
Death: Sep. 4, 1885
Plainfield
Union County
New Jersey, USA

James Hervey Ackerman was born 1837 in New Brunswick, Middlesex County, NC the youngest of 8 known children (4 boys/4 girls) born to prominent businessman and financier, Jonathan Coombs Ackerman and his wife, Maria Smith.

He was the paternal grandchild of Geleyn Ackerman & Jane Coombs of New Brunswick; and gr-grandchild of Abraham Ackerman and Janet Romeyn who had removed from Hackensack, Bergen County, NJ to settle in New Brunswick. He was a direct descendant of this family's patriarch, Abraham "David" Davidtse Ackerman, who came to New Netherlands from Holland and married Aeltie Adrianse Van Laer, later becoming one of the early Dutch settlers of Hackensack NJ.

James entered Rutgers (now University), but shortly after the death of his father in 1852, his mother removed the family to Manhattan, NY where he completed college at the University of New York, and studied law at Albany Law School. Following graduation he began his practice with Benedict & Boardman in New York City.

In 1862 the 25-year old attorney married 26-year old Ellen Robinson Morgan, daughter of Episcopal Rev. Richard U. Morgan DD and his (1st) wife, Sarah "Sally" Markley, of Montgomery County, PA. At the time of their marriage, her father was a widow and Rector of the Trinity Parish Episcopal Church in New Rochelle, New York and would later wed his (2nd) wife, Sarah P. Jarvis.

J. Hervey and Ellen would become parents to 4 known children (2 sons/2 daughters): Senator Ernest Robinson Ackerman (1863-1931), Marion S. Ackerman (c. 1869), Mary Louise Ackerman (c. 1870), and Lydia Platt Ackerman (1882).

In about 1870, the couple removed to Plainfield, Union Co, NJ where J. Hervey passed the NJ Bar in 1871. He was for many years counsel of the Newark India Rubber Company, the same firm in which his father held stock and from which his brother Warren earned great wealth. J. Hervey served for many years on the Common Council of the City of Plainfield and in 1874, he became a Judge in Plainfield.

Judge J. Hervey Ackerman died young, passing in 1885 at about age 48. His wife of 23 years would survive him another 20 years, passing in 1905 at about age 69.

Of his 4 children, both sons went into the portland cement business, no doubt because both were legatees in the will of their uncle Warren who held a large financial interest in the Lawrence Portland Cement Company, headquartered in New York City, for which both Ernest and Marion at one time carried the title President. Both married and resided in Plainfield, but only Marion was found to have children.

Ernest Ackerman was for six years the Senator from Union County. The passage of the first Civil Service law enacted in New Jersey was largely due to his efforts; it is known as the Ackerman Civil Service Law. Of interest to this researcher is that much of the biographical information on Warren mentions his maternal roots to the Markley family and their role in the Revolutionary War, with no mention of the greatness of his Ackerman ancestors. Ernest married Nora L. Weber of Maryland in 1892. No children were found from this union. He died in 1931 and is buried in Hillside Cemetery in Scotch Plains, NJ.

Marion S. Ackerman was married twice, having 2 sons (Marion Jr. and Warren) by his first wife, and a 3rd son, James Hervey Ackerman by his 2nd wife. They lived in Plainfield. It is not known by this researcher when he died and where he was buried.

Daughter Mary Louise Ackerman married Robert Rushmore in 1891, son of the prominent Rushmore family of Plainfield who founded Rushmore Dynamo Company in that city. Daughter, Lydia Platt Ackerman (named for her aunt who had married both George and Warren Ackerman) married in 1901 to Arthur Murphy, son of Episcopal Rev. T. Logan Murphy, who at the time was the newly appointed curate of the American Church at Paris, but one time rector of the Church of Holy Cross in Plainfield.


Family links:
Parents:
Jonathan Coombs Ackerman (1793 - 1852)
Maria Smith Ackerman (1793 - 1873)


Burial:
Willow Grove Cemetery
New Brunswick
Middlesex County
New Jersey, USA

Created by: pbfries
Record added: Jan 24, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 47043235

New York Times February 5, 1895

SOCIAL JOTTINGS FROM PLAINFIELD

Entertainmnets Which Have Helped to Make the Week Pass Pleasantly

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Feb. 16 – On Wednesday evening a cotillion was danced at the home of ex-Mayor Q. V. F. Randolph of East Front Street.

Herman Simmonds of Watchung Avenue has gone to Florida, to remain until Spring.

Mrs. Dudley Insley of Tacoma and Miss See of Sing Sing are guests of Mrs. E. E. Runyon of Madison Avenue.

Mrs. Howell of Chester, who has been visiting her sister Mrs. F. D. Whiting of East Sixth Street, has returned home.

Next Tuesday evening the ladies of the Monroe Avenue Chapel will hold their annual supper.

Mrs. Robert Downy of Madison Avenue gave a tea this afternoon from 4 to 7.

By far the largest and most brilliant social function that has ever been given in this city was the Ackerman reception at the Casino on Monday night. About 500 guests were present, the largest number that has yet gathered in that pretty clubhouse and ballroom. Mrs. J. Hervey Ackerman received, assisted by Mrs. Robert Rushmore, Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, and Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman.

Plainfield Countil of the Royal Arcanum celebrated the addition of the two hundredth member to its ranks Monday night with an entertainment.

William C. Ayers, one of Plainfield's oldest residents, celebrated his eighty-sixth birthday Tuesday. He was born on Feb. 12, 1809, on the same day as Lincoln.

Wednesday evening the ladies of the Seventh Day Baptist Church held a sale and supper in the church.

An interesting meeting of the Monday Afternoon Club was held in the parlors of the Crescent Avenue Church Monday, at which David P. Hall gave a talk on parliamentary usage.

The Third Regiment Cadet Corps of this city will go to Bound Brook on Washington's Birthday to take part in the parade of that place.

Several new members were received into the Plainfield Bicycle Club at a meeting Monday night.

On Thursday evening, Feb. 21, a Martha Washington tea will be given in the First Presbyterian Church.

Tuesday evening Mr. and Mrs. B. O. Bowers of Franklin Place entertained the Musical Club.

The Ladies Committee of the Young Women's Christian Association met Tuesday afternoon and elected the following officers: President – Mrs. Henry M. Maxson; Vice-President – Mrs. J. Wesley Johnson; Treasurere – Mrs. J. H. Manning; Secretary – Miss Embury.

Next month Miss Fannie Westphal will be married to George Gray of Brooklyn.

Tuesday, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman of West Seventh Street gave a dinner in honor of her guest, Miss Cox of New York. The guests present were Miss Gertrude Waly, Miss Cox, Miss Marion Dumont, Miss Waldron, Miss Lawrence, Miss Carey, Harry Munger, Laurens Van Buren, Fred Waly, Dr. B. Van D. Hedges, Mr. Waring and Mr. Wharton.

A union meeting of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Societies of the Crescent Avenue and First Presbyterian Churches as held Tuesday afternoon at the latter church. The subject discussed as "China," papers being read by Mrs. M. E. Dwight, Mrs. Luchey, Mrs. Cornelius Schenck, Mrs. Pruden, and Mrs. Wyckoff.

Next Saturday Mrs. Henry McGee of Washington Park will give an afternoon tea. The hours will be from 4 to 7 o'clock.

During the week Miss Florence Honneger of New Brighton, S. I., has been the guest of Mrs. J. R. Hill of Belvidere Avenue.

Plainfield's handsome new Young Men's Christian Association Building was formally opened Tuesday night. Addresses were made by Mayor Alexander Gilbert, the first President of the association; the Rev. Dr. William R. Richards and William D. Murray, the present President. The building cost about $50,000.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FA0710F6395911738DDDAE0994DA405B8585F0D3

New York Times April 11, 1901

PLAINFIELD, N.J., April 10. – The wedding of Miss Lydia Platt Ackerman and Arthur Murphy took place this afternoon at Grace Church. The bride is a daughter of Mrs. Ellen R. and the late J. Hervey Ackerman. Her brothers are New York business men. The bridegroom is the son of the Rev. T. Logan Murphy, the newly appointed curate of the American Church at Paris.

Miss Ackerman was accompanied to the altar by her married sister, Mrs. Robert Rushmore, matron of honor, and by Miss Anna Riker of New York, Miss Mary Scott Denniston of the State College of Pennsylvania, and Miss Catherine DePauw of New Albany, Ind. The best man was Clarence L. Murphy, the groom's brother. The ushers were Marion S. Ackerman, James F. Middledith, and Rufus F. Finch of Plainfield, and Townsend Morgan of New York. The bride's three nephews, dressed in white sailor costumes, were pages.

The service was read by the Rev. T. Logan Murphy, assisted by the rector of Grace Church, the Rev. Erskine M. Rodman. After the marriage at the church a reception was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Rushmore.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F60712FE3B5414728DDDA80994DC405B818CF1D3

October 29, 2011 Email

–––––––––- Original Message –––––––––-
Subject: New Guest Book Entry Submitted
From: "Andy's Web Tools Guestbook" <donotreply@andyswebtools.com>
Date: Sat, October 29, 2011 9:17 am
To: info@plainfieldgardenclub.org
––––––––––––––––––––––-

A new guestbook entry has been submitted from IP address 68.192.174.98.

To manage guestbook entries, log in at http://andyswebtools.com.

The contents of the new entry:

Name: Charles B. Mobus, Sr
Email: chaslin@optonline.net
Address: Warren, NJ

Message:

MY mother Tullia Grace Mobus founded the Plainfield Humane Society.
Through my Father's friendship with S.W. Rushmore she obtained thousands
and support for the PHS. I have her scrap book and memories of Rushmore's home and gardens

–––––––––––-

Henrietta "Nettie" M. HETFIELD

Mrs. Murray lived at 901 Madison Ave., Plainfield, NJ in 1915.
"Mrs. Roger F. Murray - Plainfield, N.J. Feb. 6 - Mrs. Henrietta M. Hetfield Murray, wife of former Assemblyman Roger F. Murray, died last night at her home at 901 Madison Avenue after a long illness. She was born in Flemington, N.J. 78 years ago, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Augustus P. Hetfield. Her husband, her only survivor, served in the Assembly 1898-99 and formerly was a member of the city and Union County Republican Committee." [New York Times, 7 February 1947, p.23, column 3]
*****
"Mrs. R. F. Murray Passes Away Here - Mrs. Roger F. Murrey of 901 Madison Ave., died last night (Feb. 5, 1947) in her home, after a lingering illness. Mrs. Murray and her husband, who has been active in civic and political affairs of the city, county and state, had resided at the Madison Ave. address since 1889.
Born in Flemington, Mrs. Murray was the former Henrietta M. Hetfield, daughter of the late Augustus P. Hetfield and Isabella Frazee Hetfield. Her father was born in what is now Westfield, and her mother was a native of Scotch Plains.
Mrs. Murray and her husband were married Oct. 2, 1888, in the home of the bride's parents in Dunellen. The couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1938, with a reception in their home. They would have marked the 59th anniversary of their union next fall.
Mrs. Murray had long been a member of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. Her husband is the only survivor.
This was the third death in the local family sonce the end of 1946. Roger F. Murray's sister-in-law, Mrs. Amelia Murray of 315 W. Fourth St., widow of John W. Murray, Jr., died on New Year's Eve, and his sister, Mrs. Townsend Rushmore, the former Jean Murray, doed jan. 22 in her home at 524 Stelle Ave.
Funeral services will be held in the Murray residence at 3 p.m. Saturday, with Dr. John J. Moment, minister of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, officiating. Interment will be in the family plot in Hillside Cemetery." [Plainfield NJ Courier-News, Thursday, 6 February, 1947]
*****

Frank B. Bennett & Company 1912

The Plainfield Trust Co.

On the fourth day of June, ten years ago, the Plainfield Trust Company of Plainfield, N.J., opened for business in an unpretentious store on one of the principal streets on that city. In three years, when by its aggressive methods it had acquired a deposit line of one and a half million dollars, it moved into its handsome building on Park avenue which it now occupies, and which is not only the most imposing edifice in Plainfield but is one of the finest banking houses in the State of New Jersey. In its new home the business of the institution has continued to prosper under the efficient management of its energetic and capable staff of officers until today the company reports deposits of four millions of dollars and a surplus and undivided profit account of two hundred and forty thousand dollars, or nearly two and a half times the amount of its capital.

In addition to the four million of deposits, the company has in its custody a million and a half of trust funds which are kept separate and apart from its assets. This trust business is but another indication of the confidence which the institution has won during the comparatively short period of its existence – a confidence that is based on the character of the service which has been rendered but on the personnel of its directors, all of whom are representative men in the community and who bring to the business the inspiration of some New York City's most important business activities as may be seen from the following:

LIST OF DIRECTORS
and their connections: J. Herbert Case, vice-president Franklen Trust Co., Brooklyn; Frederick Geller, attorny and counseller-at-law, New York; Augustus V. Heely, vice-president The Farmers' Loan and Trust Co., New York; James W. Jackson, executor of the Jesse Hoyt Estate, New York; Edward H. Ladd, Jr. & Wood Bankers, New York; Charles W. McCutchen, Holt & Co., Commision Merchants, New York; Henry A. McGee, Standard Oil Co., New York; Walter M. McGee, Vacuum Oil Co., New York; Charles A. Reed, attorney and counsellor-at-law, New York; Isaac W. Rushmore, dairy products, New York; Frank H. Smith, register Union County, Elizabeth, N.J., Samuel Townsend, president Peoples National Bank, Westfield, N.J., Cornelius B. Tyler, Tyler & Tyler, attorneys, New York; Lewis E. Waring, Edward Sweet & Co., bankers, New York; and Orville T. Waring, Standard Oil Co., New Jersey.

Mr. H. H. Pond, secretary of the company, assumed this position two years ago, and during his uncumbency the deposits have increased from about $2,750,000 to $4,000,000. Mr. Pond has also been president of the New Jersey Bankers Association during the past year and in that capacity has won many friends both for himself and for the institution which he represents.

The Plainfield Trust Company conducts a banking trust, special, safe deposit and "banking by mail" department. Through the latter the institution has extended its operation all over New Jersey, and there are few towns in the state in which some of its deposits may not be found.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4wkhAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA44&lpg=RA2-PA44&dq=edward+h.+ladd+new+jersey&source=bl&ots=dm0GnDDx-W&sig=YQvKfBNAEj2-SnuL0oqvlP4dhJ8&hl=en#v=onepage&q=edward%20h.%20ladd%20new%20jersey&f=false

August 26, 1894 New York Times Article: Plainfield, City of Homes

A unique feature of social life in Washington Park, North Plainfield, is the Park Club. In it has been demonstrated the possibility of a mixed club of ladies and gentlemen. The club was organized in March 1892. It at once purchased and moved the picturesque clubhouse which had erected for it on Washington Avenue, bordering on Green Brook. Its first officers were: President-Samuel Townsend; Vice-President-William J. Roome; Treasurer-George P. Dupee; Secretary-William L. Saunders.

The scheme of the club orginated in the minds of a few gentlemen, neighboring residents of the park, led by Foster Milliken and W. J. Roome, and organization was determined upon. The consummation of the work, in the purchase of the land and the erection of a clubhouse was largely due to the untiring energy of Mr. Milliken, which kept alive a flagging interest and compelled success. By an expenditure of $10,000, the club owns an attractive brick and shingled house, having on the main floor, which opens upon the street level, a Gothic-roofed assembly room, card and committee rooms, besides a ladies' dressing room.

On the floor below are capacious billiard and bowling rooms, and, as the land slopes from the street to the brook, this lower floor opens upon the level of the club grounds, and looks out on the tennis courts. The membeship numbers 100, of whom 4 are ladies, but every gentelmen's membership gives full club rights (except vote) to the lady members of his household and his sons, when they are expected to become members in their own right. It is roughly estimated that the membership of 100 means that 300 are entitled to club priviledges.

The ladies freely avail themselves of these privileges, and their constant prescence and participation in the active life of the club make it unique in club history.

The favorite club night is Saturday and in the season, it is not an unusual event to have present seventy-five ladies enjoying the club sports or engaging in social chats. Bowling and pool are their favorite excercises below, while dancing, singing and whist are enjoyed up stairs. Under the House Committee, invitation dances are given at intervals during the season, and under Junior Entertainment Committee monthly informal invitation dances are given for the younger set. Tuesday morning is devoted to the ladies exclusively, and then they gather in large numbers for club sports, gossip and tea.

Washington park is a quiet community of homes. A man's club could in no way live there; the participation of the ladies in the life of the Park Club has made club life possible, and to them the club acknoledges its debt. The club has become the centre of the social life of the community, and has made household entertainmnet less imperative and less burdensome. It extends the acquaintance and association of all, and promotes prompt interest in and recognition of desirable newcomers into the neighborhood. The entire debt of the club is represented by $9.500 of 5 per cent bonds, running twenty years, but payable at any time, at the option of the club. It has no other debt, and maintains itself from its revenues, without deficit. Because of the constant presence of ladies and children, no wines or liquors of any kind are permitted upon any part of the club property.

The present officers are: President - St. St. J. McCutchenl Vice-President - B. A. Hegeman, Jr.; Treasurer - George P. Dupee; Secretary - George D. Hallock. Other Governors are Charles A. Reed, George C. Evans, George C. Worth, B.M. Day, and M. S. Taylor.

August 26, 1894 New York Times Article: Plainfield, City of Homes

Ackerman and Murphy Wedding

New York Times April 11, 1901
PLAINFIELD, N.J., April 10. – The wedding of Miss Lydia Platt Ackerman and Arthur Murphy took place this afternoon at Grace Church. The bride is a daughter of Mrs. Ellen R. and the late J. Hervey Ackerman. Her brothers are New York business men. The bridegroom is the son of the Rev. T. Logan Murphy, the newly appointed curate of the American Church at Paris.

Miss Ackerman was accompanied to the altar by her married sister, Mrs. Robert Rushmore, matron of honor, and by Miss Anna Riker of New York, Miss Mary Scott Denniston of the State College of Pennsylvania, and Miss Catherine DePauw of New Albany, Ind. The best man was Clarence L. Murphy, the groom's brother. The ushers were Marion S. Ackerman, James F. Middledith, and Rufus F. Finch of Plainfield, and Townsend Morgan of New York. The bride's three nephews, dressed in white sailor costumes, were pages.

The service was read by the Rev. T. Logan Murphy, assisted by the rector of Grace Church, the Rev. Erskine M. Rodman. After the marriage at the church a reception was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Rushmore.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F60712FE3B5414728DDDA80994DC405B818CF1D3

Plainfield CC

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F70C12FC3A5414728DDDA10994D0405B818CF1D3

New York Times August 18, 1901

CUP GOLF AT PLAINFIELD

Results of Weekly Marches at Hillside and Park Clubs.

PLAINFIELD, N. J. Aug. 17 – Notwithstanding the warm weather, there was a good attendance at the links of the Hillside Golf Club today. In the contest for the Mellick Cup, played this morning, Miss Maude Van Boskerck carried off the honors, the scores being: Miss Maude Van Boskerck 116, 12 - 104; Miss Herwarden, 110, 4 - 106, Miss May Holly, 137, 30 - 107; Miss May Wharton, 150, 35 - 115; Miss Louise Holly, 172, 25 - 137.

In the play for the Golf Committee Cup on the Hillside links, T. R. Van Boskerck led W. L. Glenny today by three points. The scores were: T. R. Van Boskerck, 92, 12 - 80; W. L. Glenny, 88 6 - 83; Walter Peterson, 99, 15 - 84; W. C. Faber, III, 27 -84; C. W. Abbott, 94, 8 - 86; C. A. Stevenson, 116, 24 - 92; C. C. Burke, Jr., 111, 19 - 92; E. W. Hedges, 115, 22-93; J. W. Sandford, 107, 13 -94; E. W. Newkirk, 122, 27 - 95; H. C. Tracey, 123, 17 - 96; L. H. Van Buren, 113, 15 - 98; J. R. Blake, 118, 18 -100; H. C. Munger, 114, 12 - 102; R. Rushmore, 127, 20 -107.

There was a comparatively small field in the weekly competition for the President's Cup at the Park Golf Club, and first and second honors went to Joseph L. Myers and Charles L. Nichols, respectively, who are newcomers in the race, while Charles B. Morse took third place. Senator Charles A. Reed still leads for the trophy.

The score cards better than 100 were: Joseph L. Myers, 117, 30 - 87; Charles L. Nichols, 119, 30 - 80; Charles B. Morse, 107, 15 - 92; William R. Faber, 113, 21 - 97; H. G. Phillips, 124, 25 - 90; Henry C. Wells, 118, 19 - 99.

Samuel Townsend

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0A16FE3F5415738DDDA00A94D1405B818CF1D3


Mixed Golf at Plainfield

Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Sept. 28 – Only two women played this morning for the Mellick Cup on the grouns of the Hillside Golf Club. Miss Edith Tracey carried off the honors, defeating Miss Mary Whiton by one point, the net scores being 108 - 109. In the afternoon play was continued for the Golf Committee Cup. Dr. B. Vand Hedges carried off the honors of the day, winning over Robert Abbott by one point, their scores being: B. Vand Hedges, 85-8-77; Robert Abbott, 85-7-78. The same players contested for the Reinhart Cup and the same scores counted. Dr. B. Vand Hedges won the cup for the first time. To become the owner of the trophy it will be necessary to win the cup three times. In the weekly competitionn for the President's Cup on the links of the Park Golf Club Samuel Townsend and George T. Rogers shared first honors. Their scores were: Samuel Townsend, 113-24-89; George T. Rogers, 112-23-89.

1894 Washington Park, North Plainfield NJ

A unique feature of social life in Washington Park, North Plainfield, is the Park Club. In it has been demonstrated the possibility of a mixed club of ladies and gentlemen. The club was organized in March 1892. It at once purchased and moved the picturesque clubhouse which had erected for it on Washington Avenue, bordering on Green Brook. Its first officers were: President-Samuel Townsend; Vice-President-William J. Roome; Treasurer-George P. Dupee; Secretary-William L. Saunders.

The scheme of the club orginated in the minds of a few gentlemen, neighboring residents of the park, led by Foster Milliken and W. J. Roome, and organization was determined upon. The consummation of the work, in the purchase of the land and the erection of a clubhouse was largely due to the untiring energy of Mr. Milliken, which kept alive a flagging interest and compelled success. By an expenditure of $10,000, the club owns an attractive brick and shingled house, having on the main floor, which opens upon the street level, a Gothic-roofed assembly room, card and committee rooms, besides a ladies' dressing room.

On the floor below are capacious billiard and bowling rooms, and, as the land slopes from the street to the brook, this lower floor opens upon the level of the club grounds, and looks out on the tennis courts. The membeship numbers 100, of whom 4 are ladies, but every gentelmen's membership gives full club rights (except vote) to the lady members of his household and his sons, when they are expected to become members in their own right. It is roughly estimated that the membership of 100 means that 300 are entitled to club priviledges.

The ladies freely avail themselves of these privileges, and their constant prescence and participation in the active life of the club make it unique in club history.

The favorite club night is Saturday and in the season, it is not an unusual event to have present seventy-five ladies enjoying the club sports or engaging in social chats. Bowling and pool are their favorite excercises below, while dancing, singing and whist are enjoyed up stairs. Under the House Committee, invitation dances are given at intervals during the season, and under Junior Entertainment Committee monthly informal invitation dances are given for the younger set. Tuesday morning is devoted to the ladies exclusively, and then they gather in large numbers for club sports, gossip and tea.

Washington park is a quiet community of homes. A man's club could in no way live there; the participation of the ladies in the life of the Park Club has made club life possible, and to them the club acknoledges its debt. The club has become the centre of the social life of the community, and has made household entertainmnet less imperative and less burdensome. It extends the acquaintance and association of all, and promotes prompt interest in and recognition of desirable newcomers into the neighborhood. The entire debt of the club is represented by $9.500 of 5 per cent bonds, running twenty years, but payable at any time, at the option of the club. It has no other debt, and maintains itself from its revenues, without deficit. Because of the constant presence of ladies and children, no wines or liquors of any kind are permitted upon any part of the club property.

The present officers are: President - St. St. J. McCutchenl Vice-President - B. A. Hegeman, Jr.; Treasurer - George P. Dupee; Secretary - George D. Hallock. Other Governors are Charles A. Reed, George C. Evans, George C. Worth, B.M. Day, and M. S. Taylor.

August 26, 1894 New York Times Article: Plainfield, City of Homes

Davidson Descendant

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ftmjohn/PDFFiles/Davidson.pdf

DAVIDSON DESCENDANT LINES
by
John Hanrahan
This presents the descendant lines recorded in my database.
Open the Bookmarks Tab to see my Ancestral lines.
Pages tab will make it faster to get to a page.
Index will provide a list of names with page numbers those names can be found.
DAVIDSON ANCESTRY
1
Descendants of James Davidson
*1 James Davidson b: in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
.. +Mary Struther b: in Norman Scotland or Norham, Northumberland, England m: 09 September 1796 in Berwick-upon-
Tweed, Northumberland, England
... 2 William Davidson b: 27 May 1797 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
... 2 Eleanor Davidson b: 22 March 1799 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
....... +Cornelius S. Nesbit b: in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England m: Abt. 1836
........ 3 Eleanor Nesbit b: 1837 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England d: 1926 York, England
... 2 Bridget Davidson b: 10 May 1801 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
... 2 Roger Davidson b: 20 August 1803 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England d: Bef. 1806 Berwick-upon-
Tweed, Northumberland, England
... 2 George Davidson b: 14 July 1804 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
....... +Ann Struthers
*... 2 Roger Davidson b: 19 April 1806 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England d: 11 May 1875 Plainfield, New
Jersey
....... +Jean Bertram b: 22 April 1808 in Parish of Stobo, Peebleshire, Scotland d: 06 April 1857 New York City, New York
m: Abt. 1830 in Berwick-on-Tweed, England
........ 3 James Davidson b: Bef. 1834 in Scotland
............ +Elsie Baverstock/Bavistock
........ 3 Elizabeth Davidson b: 05 February 1834 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England d: 13 January 1912
New York City
............ +Stephen Eugene Kirby b: Abt. 1830 in New York City m: Abt. 1855 in Possibly New York
............. 4 Jean Bertram Kirby b: Abt. 1856 in New York
................. +Filley
............. 4 Frederick E. Kirby b: Abt. 1858 in New York
DAVIDSON ANCESTRY
2
Descendants of James Davidson
............. 4 Mary S. Kirby b: Abt. 1860 in New York
................. +Thomas J. Knowles
............. 4 John Kirby b: Bet. 1860 - 1870 in New York
........ 3 Mary Struthers Davidson b: 01 April 1835 in New York
............ +John W. Murray, Sr. b: Abt. 1835 in Scotland d: Bet. 1890 - 1900 Not listed on 1900 Census m: Abt. 1856 in
Probably in New York
............. 4 William D. Murray b: July 1858 in New York
................. +Mary b: October 1860 in New York m: Abt. 1893 in New York/New Jersey
............. 4 John W. Murray, Jr. b: November 1860 in New York
................. +Amelia b: October 1861 in Rhode Island m: Abt. 1882 in New York/New Jersey
............. 4 Jean Bertram Murray b: Abt. 1862 in New York
................. +Townshed Rushmore

............. 4 Roger F. Murray b: 06 December 1864 in New York d: Bet. 1922 - 1923
................. +Nettie M. Hetfield b: Abt. 1869 in New Jersey
............. 4 Augusta R Murray b: Abt. 1867 in New York
................. +A. A. Tilney
............. 4 Mary Stephens Murray b: Abt. 1869 in New Jersey
................. +Joseph W. Sandford
............. 4 James E. Murray b: Abt. 1871 in New Jersey
................. +Alice Marshall
............. 4 Walter L. Murray b: Abt. 1873 in New Jersey
DAVIDSON ANCESTRY
3
Descendants of James Davidson
................. +Mary Van Horn
*........ 3 Jane Davidson b: 15 November 1836 in , Rockland, New York d: 01 January 1914 Iowa
............ +Cornelius V. Anderson, Sr. b: 19 April 1835 in New York City, New York, New York d: 15 May 1895 Davenport,
Scott, Ia., US m: 28 December 1858 in New York, New York Co, New York
............. 4 Cornelius V. Anderson, Jr. b: Abt. October 1858 in Died 1 month after birth d: Abt. 25 November 1858
Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York
............. 4 Jane Elizabeth "Jen" Anderson b: 09 June 1859 in Williams, Brooklyn, Kings, New York d: 19 July 1923
Possible Davenport, Scott, Iowa
................. +Fred Genslinger b: Abt. 1862 in Illinois d: 02 March 1928 Possible Davenport, Scott, Iowa m: Bef. 1894 in
Iowa
............. 4 Eleanor "Ella" Anderson b: 06 May 1860 in New York d: 04 July 1888 Chicago, Cook, Ill
............. 4 Emma Louise Anderson b: 1863 in New York d: 1874 Illinois
*............. 4 Elizabeth "Libby" Anderson b: 23 September 1865 in Brooklyn, New York, New York, US d: 03 January 1951
DeWitt, Clinton, Ia., US
................. +Charles Francis Kent b: 05 June 1863 in Davenport, Scott, Ia., US d: 21 June 1944 DeWitt, Clinton, Ia., US
m: 09 May 1893 in Davenport, Scott, Ia, U.S.
............. 4 Benjamin N. "Ben" Anderson, Sr. b: 25 September 1867 in New Jersey d: 02 October 1959 Ilinois/California
................. +Madge VanPelt b: Abt. 25 December 1874 in Louisiana d: Ilinois/California m: 16 March 1897 in Possible
Chicago, Cook, Illinois
............. 4 Cornelia V. "Nealie" Anderson b: 08 April 1871 in Chicago, Ill d: 05 November 1941 DeWitt, Clinton, Iowa
............. 4 Frederick Eugene Anderson b: 16 February 1873 in Chicago, Cook, Ill d: 17 December 1917 Iowa
................. +Arianna Lorton b: 14 July m: Aft. 1910
........ 3 Eleanor "Ella" Davidson b: 16 July 1838 in New York City, New York d: 25 January 1908 Flushing, New York City,
New York
............ +Joseph/James Knowles, Sr. b: 10 February 1839 in New York City, New York d: 23 December 1916 Flushing,
New York City, New York m: 22 April 1861 in Probably in New York
DAVIDSON ANCESTRY
4
Descendants of James Davidson
............. 4 James Knowles, Jr. d: Died 4 1/2 years old
............. 4 Andrew Anderson Knowles b: Abt. 1864
................. +Anna Coles
............. 4 Charles E. Knowles b: Abt. 1866
................. +Jean N. Nesmith/Nesenilth
............. 4 Jean Bertram Knowles b: 31 March 1867 in New York d: 12 January 1954 Dundas, Ontairo, Canada
................. +Thomas A. Bertram b: 16 January 1864 in Dundas, Ontario, Canada d: 07 June 1954 Dundas, Ontairo,
Canada m: 02 November 1888 in Dundas, Ontario, Canada
............. 4 Elizabeth G. "Lyde" Knowles b: Abt. 1870 in New York
............. 4 William W. Knowles b: Abt. 1872
................. +Suzanne Rockwell
............. 4 Eleanor D. Knowles b: Abt. 1871 in New York
................. +Charles J. Lainge b: in Canada m: Abt. 1902 in ?New York
............. 4 Mary S. Knowles b: Abt. 1877 in New York
................. +Edward Chester Beard b: Abt. 1875 in Connecticut m: Abt. 1916 in New York
........ 3 William Davidson b: Abt. 1841
........ 3 Delia/Adelia Davidson b: 26 February 1845 in New York d: 06 January 1925 Probably in New Jersey
............ +Eric Nicholas Erickson b: 1844 in Norway d: Bef. 1900 New York/New Jersey m: Abt. 1867 in Probably in New
York
............. 4 Jean Bertram Erickson b: Abt. 1868
................. +James Hallock
............. *2nd Husband of Jean Bertram Erickson:
................. +Henry Hall
DAVIDSON ANCESTRY
5
Descendants of James Davidson
............. 4 Julius E. Erickson b: May 1870 in New York
................. +Ida L. Haywood b: January 1872 in New Jersey m: Abt. 1896 in New Jersey
............. 4 Roger W. Erickson b: June 1872 in New York
............. 4 Eric N Erickson b: August 1879 in New Jersey
... 2 James Davidson b: 15 October 1808 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
... 2 Mary Davidson b: 11 March 1811 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
....... +Thomas Marshall b: in Of or near London
... 2 Margaret D. Davidson b: 1814 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England d: 1850 England
....... +Leonord Hazelden b: Abt. 05 July 1807 in Framfield, England d: England m: Bef. 1833 in England
........ 3 Leonard Hazelden b: Abt. 30 June 1833
........ 3 Mary Hazelden b: Abt. 01 May 1836
........ 3 Maria Hazelden b: 21 February 1838
........ 3 Bridget Davidson Hazelden b: Abt. 19 August 1842
........ 3 William Hazelden b: Abt. 1845
........ 3 James Davidson Hazelden b: Abt. 1847
6
Index of Individuals
Amelia -
Unnamed: 2
Anderson -
Benjamin N. , Sr. (aka: Ben): 3
Cornelia V. (aka: Nealie): 3
Cornelius V. , Jr.: 3
Cornelius V. , Sr.: 3
Eleanor (aka: Ella): 3
Elizabeth (aka: Libby): 3
Emma Louise: 3
Frederick Eugene: 3
Jane Elizabeth (aka: Jen): 3
Baverstock/Bavistock -
Elsie: 1
Beard -
Edward Chester: 4
Ben -
(name: Benjamin N. Anderson, Sr.): 3
Bertram -
Jean: 1
Thomas A.: 4
Coles -
Anna: 4
Davidson -
Bridget: 1
Delia/Adelia: 4
Eleanor: 1
Eleanor (aka: Ella): 3
Elizabeth: 1
George: 1
James: 1
James: 5
James: 1
Jane: 3
Margaret D.: 5
Mary: 5
Mary Struthers: 2
Roger: 1
Roger: 1
William: 1
William: 4
Ella -
(name: Eleanor Davidson): 3
(name: Eleanor Anderson): 3
Erickson -
Eric N: 5
Eric Nicholas: 4
Jean Bertram: 4
Julius E.: 5
Roger W.: 5
Filley -
Unnamed: 1
Genslinger -
Fred: 3
Hall -
Henry: 4
Hallock -
James: 4
Haywood -
Ida L.: 5
Hazelden -
Bridget Davidson: 5
James Davidson: 5
Leonard: 5
Leonord: 5
Maria: 5
Mary: 5
William: 5
Hetfield -
Nettie M.: 2
Jen -
(name: Jane Elizabeth Anderson): 3
Kent -
Charles Francis: 3
Kirby -
Frederick E.: 1
Jean Bertram: 1
John: 2
Mary S.: 2
Stephen Eugene: 1
Knowles -
Andrew Anderson: 4
Charles E.: 4
Eleanor D.: 4
Elizabeth G. (aka: Lyde): 4
James , Jr.: 4
Jean Bertram: 4
Joseph/James , Sr.: 3
Mary S.: 4
Thomas J.: 2
William W.: 4
Lainge -
Charles J.: 4
Libby -
(name: Elizabeth Anderson): 3
Lorton -
Arianna: 3
Lyde -
(name: Elizabeth G. Knowles): 4
Marshall -
Alice: 2
Thomas: 5
Mary -
Unnamed: 2
Murray -
Augusta R: 2
James E.: 2
Jean Bertram: 2
John W. , Jr.: 2
John W. , Sr.: 2
Mary Stephens: 2
Roger F.: 2
Walter L.: 2
William D.: 2
Nealie -
(name: Cornelia V. Anderson): 3
Nesbit -
Cornelius S.: 1
Eleanor: 1
Nesmith/Nesenilth -
Jean N.: 4
Rockwell -
Suzanne: 4
Rushmore -
7
Townshed: 2
Sandford -
Joseph W.: 2
Struther -
Mary: 1
Struthers -
Ann: 1
Tilney -
A. A.: 2
Van Horn -
Mary: 3
Van Pelt -
Madge: 3

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. Robert Rushmore
732 West Eighth Street

Mrs. Samuel Townsend
54 Myrtle Avenue, N. P.

November 2, 1894 New York Times

Sanford - Murray

PLAINFIELD, N.J., Nov. 1 – There was a brilliant wedding in the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church at 7:30 o'clock this evening, when Miss Minnie Breckinridge Murray, daughter of John W. Murray of the German Insurance Company of New York, was married to Joseph Webster Sandford, Jr., son of Joseph W. Sanford of Westervelt Avenue. A large assemblage of society people witnessed the event. The Rev. Dr. William R. Richards, pastor of the church, performed the ceremony. The church was elaborately decorated with palms and chyrsanthemums.

The bride wore a handsome gown of white corded silk and carried a bouquet of beautiful roses. The maid of honor was Miss Augusta Knox Murray. The bridesmaids were Miss Stella Place, Miss May Sanford, and Miss May Grace Brewster of New York. Albert Tilney was best man. The ushers were Percy H. Stewart, George S. Beebe, Howard W. Beebe, Fred W. Walz, Walter F. Murray, and James E. Murray. A reception followed at the home of the bride's parents.

1918 Meeting Minutes

1997 Mansions of May

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

Listing Price: $1,200,000
Beds:6Baths:6 full, 2 partialSize:–Lot:2.59 acresBuilt:1916Type:Single-Family HomeTax:–Added:180+ days ago

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

June 24, 2013 Real Estate Listing

777 Belvidere

777 Belvidere

1908 Commercial and Financial Chronicle The Plainfield Trust Company

Rushmore-Coffin House

2013-08-16 www.netherwoodheights.com

The Netherwood Heights Historic District is named for the Netherwood Hotel which stood at what is now the blocks bordered by Denmark Road, Park Terrace, Belvidere Avenue, Berkeley Avenue. It encompasses 99 homes located throughout the winding roads believed to be the original horse paths of the hoteli, which was built in 1878 when Plainfield was the last stop on the railroadii.

The original retaining walls of the hotel's property still stand in front of 601 Belvidere and 755 Berkeley Avenues. The district's oldest homes date from the 1880's to 1900's, being located the closest to the hotel's site and train station. The horse path to the hotel is still located behind 701 Belvidere, along with the carriage house on 633 Berkeley Avenueiii. The bulk of the district's homes date from the 1920's, including those built on the hotel's property after its demise in 1918iv.


The Netherwood Hotel

Among the stately homes along winding Belvidere Avenue was the residence of Samuel Rushmore. For years, he lived at 777 Belvidere. Rushmore was the inventor of the automobile self-starter, headlights, searchlights for ships, plus many other inventions which did not come into use until after his patents had expired.

This location is also known as the Rushmore-Coffin House because during the reign of Jersey City Mayor Hague in the 1930's and 1940's, a coffin was placed on the roof to protest the mayor's alleged corruption. This home also has a carriage house on Ravine Road to which a tunnel is connected to the main house.

Also of note is 556 Belvidere, once home to the family of the Japanese Ambassador to the United Statesv. The interior features Japanese-style carvings on the coffered ceilings and mantel. The family imported Japanese Maples which can be seen on the property today.

Netherwood is the only location within the Plainfield City limits having its own zip code: 07062. The "town" of Netherwood extends east to west from Woodland Avenue to Terrill, and north to south from the North Plainfield town line to Watchung Avenue. The historic train station of Netherwood was originally built in 1894vi, and then renovated in 1998. Located on South Avenue, the station is designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque-Queen Anne style.

Authors: Louise Colodne, Victor Quinn, William Michaelson and Greg Myers


Footnotes:

iIt is believed it may be that the bridal paths, upon which certain roads are based, predate the hotel itself. Besides that the wooded hills were probably used by residents for a long time, maps that feature the hotel include the streets themselves. (Source: Plainfield Library Database)

iiPlainfield was the last stop on the railroad when it was extended there in 1839, and for one year only: by 1840, the railroad was extended to Dunellen. (Sources: NY Times; Central RR of NJ Historical Society)

iiiAccording to a 1926 photo, 653 Ravine Road was the "Netherwood Hotel Carriage House." (Source: Plainfield Library Database)

ivMr. Louis Nadel was manager of the hotel in 1920 and the hotel appears on a 1923 map. Actual destruction unknown. (Sources: American Newspaper Publishers Assn Bulletin; Plainfield Library Database)

vHarry Kuniichi Tetsuka was a Japanese pottery importer who lived here. A cross-reference of available archives between Plainfield or Netherwood with all Japanese Ambassadors to the US does not yield any results. (Source: Plainfield Library Database; NY Times; other unrecalled)

viThe current Netherwood station house was built in 1894. The original Netherwood station house was probably built in 1877 (the train schedule lists a Netherwood "station", which does not require an actual building) and burned down in 1892. (Sources: Central Railroad of NJ Timetables; NY Times)

MISSION STATEMENT: To enhance and grow local community involvement in the area defined as "Netherwood Heights" by elevating community safety, beautifying areas as well as provides a social outlet for our neighborhood.

The Plainfield Trust Company

Isaac W. Rushmore, Dairy Products, New York
Samuel Townsend, Pres. Peoples Nat. Bank, Westfield, N. J.

996 Hillside Avenue

June 2, 2008 Greg Palermo's Tree Blog

There is a fine kousa dogwood between 980 and 996 Hillside Avenue, pictured below.

Minnie Murray Sandford

Minnie Murray Sandford's dress
c. late 1880's - 1890's
Given to Drake House November 2013 by the Sandford family

Minnie Murray Sandford

Minnie Murray Sandford's dress
c. late 1880's - 1890's
Given to Drake House November 2013 by the Sandford family

Minnie Murray Sandford

Minnie Murray Sandford's dress
c. late 1880's - 1890's
Given to Drake House November 2013 by the Sandford family

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

December 28, 2014

Local blogger Dan Damon wrote this article, Suspicious fire at historic Plainfield building, regarding a fire at the Samuel W. Rushmore building on South Avenue. Many Rushmore relatives have been members of the PGC including current Affiliate Member Ginny Rushmore.

To learn more about this prominent family, click on these member albums:

Rushmore, Mrs. Murray (Helen Joy)
Rushmore, Mrs. Townsend (Jean Betram Murray) '20
Joy, Mrs. James R. (Emma Prentice McGee) '33
Mooney, Mrs. Wandell McMaster (Alice Joy McGee) '47
Joost, Mrs. Sherman Brownell (Marie Murray) '19
Murray, Mrs. James Everett (Alice Marshall) '20
Roome, Mrs. John Stanton (Dolores or "Dody" Murray) '57
Tilney, Mrs. Albert Arthur (Augusta R. Murray) '20
McGee, Mrs. Harry Livingston (Susan M. Howell) '18
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22
Lockwood, Mrs. Frederick M. (Hazel Marshall) '52
Lockwood, Mrs. William L. (Amy M.) '25
Marshall, Mrs. Henry P. (Dorothy Burke) '30
Howell, Mrs. Josephus Halsey (Romaine Ray) '22
Chambliss, Mrs. Leopold A. (Anna Scott Yerkes) '50
Eddy, Mrs. Charles Brown (Ellen Coolidge Burke) '15

And through marriage on her husband's side, the late Mrs. Webster (Barbara Tracy) Sandford '50.

Plainfield firefighters responded early Saturday evening to a suspicious fire in a historic factory structure at South Avenue and Berckman Street.

The complex of three buildings, parts of which are over a hundred years old, most recently housed the Royal Apex Company, a manufacturer of gutters and other metal and plastic extruded products. The buildings have been vacant since 2007, when Royal Apex was bought out by Berger Building Products, Inc., and operations were moved to Pennsylvania.

Originally, the buildings housed the Rushmore Dynamo Works, owned by Plainfield entrepreneur and inventor Samuel W. Rushmore. Rushmore made his fortune in patents and manufacturing several key improvements in automobile technology.

Among his notable inventions – or improvements on those of others – are the automatic starter, cooling systems for internal combustion engines, the flared automobile headlamp, a searchlight, and locomotive headlights. At one time, half of all the automatic starters used in American automobiles were manufactured in the Plainfield location.

Rushmore sold the business in 1914 to the Bosch Magneto Company, with the proviso that the Rushmore name be used on its products for a number of years. When Bosch violated the terms of the agreement, Rushmore successfully sued (see here) for $100,000 (which would be over $2 million today).

Bosch, a German company with a U.S. branch, established a separate U.S. corporation, headquartered in New York City. Because of suspicions of its owners' loyalty, Bosch was nationalized in both the First and Second World Wars – with control returning to private hands in 1948.

Though several area fire companies responded to the blaze, it was quickly brought under control. A source told me the fire is suspected to be arson, a determination that will be made officially by arson investigators.

Hillside Historic District

August 29, 2015

Hillside Historic District has announced a new website: http://hillsideavenuedistrict.com

They have neatly listed the homes in the district in a similar fashion to our Homes & Gardens page.

It is no exaggeration to say that the PGC helped build Hillside. In fact our first club meeting took place at Mrs. Connor's home at 999 Hillside. Take a look at our PGC Hillside Historic District resident members:

807 Hillside Avenue
Browne, Miss Elizabeth B. '37

810 Hillside Avenue
Barnhart, Mrs. Noah Chisholm (Susan Stevens) '15

816 Hillside Avenue
Zerega, Miss Bertha Virginia '23

817 Hillside Avenue
Lawton, Mrs. Richard M. (Edith Clarke) '21

832 Hillside Avenue
Yates, Mrs. Frederick Washburn (Bertha Kedzie Cornwell) '15

921 Hillside Avenue
Detwiller, Miss Laura Cecelia '29
Detwiller, Mrs. Charles H. (Catherine or "Cath" Campbell), Jr. '57

922 Hillside Avenue
Atterbury, Mrs. Albert Hoffman (Emma H. Baker) '15

930 Hillside Avenue
Corey, Mrs. Ella J. '15

937 Hillside Avenue
Hunn, Mrs. John T. Sharpless (Hope Ivins) '37
Ivins, Mrs. DeWitt Clinton (Louise Morton Fox) '15
Ivins, Mrs. Clinton Fox (Marguerite Carpenter) '33

945 Hillside Avenue
Stevens, Mrs. Horace N. (Helen Coburn) '15

950 Hillside Avenue
Harlow, Mrs. Edward Dexter (Elise Cochran Martin) '15
Martin, Mrs. Francis A. (Mary Keech Turner) '22

955 Hillside Avenue
Wallace, Mrs. Frederick W. (Grace Seccomb) '15
deForest, Mrs. Henry Lockwood (Amy Brighthurst Brown) '33

966 Hillside Avenue
Warren, Mrs. Frank D. '15

970 Hillside Avenue
Barnhart, Mrs. Noah Chisholm (Susan Stevens) '15
Kroll, Mrs. Alexander (Nancy Dwinnell or Mrs. Prince H. Gordon) '60

975 Hillside Avenue
Runkle, Mrs. Harry Godley (Jennie Fitz Randolph) '15
Albin, Mrs. Leland D. (Jennie Hoag) '36
King, Mrs. Victor E. D. (Yasmina S.) '78
Whitehead, Mrs. James Harold (Jean Fitz-Randolph Heiberg) '43

980 Hillside Avenue
Hall, Mrs. Frederic L. (Anne Garrigues Wigton) '68
Stuart, Mrs. Linden (Jeanette W.), Jr. '52
Wigton, Mrs. Charles Benson (Garrigues) '45

982 Hillside Avenue
Baker, Mrs. Clifford Myron (Margaret Drayton) '32
Valiant, Mrs. John (Katharine Drayton) '40

985 Hillside Avenue
Stevens, Mrs. John Peters ("J.P.") '15
Stevens, Mrs. Horace Nathaniel (Helen Coburn) '15
Stevens, Mrs. John Peters ("J.P."), Jr. (Edith S.) '37
Stevens, Mrs. Robert Ten Broeck (Dorothy Goodwin Whitney) '37

996 Hillside Avenue
Wallace, Mrs. Frederick W. (Grace Seccomb) '15
Murray Townsend
Mooney, Mrs. Wandell McMaster (Alice Joy McGee) '47

999 Hillside Avenue
Conner, Mrs. William A. (Florence Tupper) '15
Wigton, Mrs. William Garrigues (Ann Hayes) '55

1000 Hillside Avenue
Lawrence, Mrs. Chester B. (Florence B.), Jr. '22

1005 Hillside Avenue
McWilliams, Mrs. Howard (Anna Louise Waldbridge/Mrs. Paul Taylor Brown) '22

1007 Hillside Avenue
Lockwood, Mrs. Frederick M. (Hazel Marshall) '52
Marshall, Mrs. Henry P. (Dorothy Burke) '30

1009 Hillside Avenue
Tracy, Mrs. Evarts '22
Tracy, Mrs. Howard Crosby (Minerva Bingham Lamson) '15
Tracy, Mrs. J. Evarts (Caroline Frederica Streuli) '22

1019 Hillside Avenue
Baker, Mrs. Clifford Myron (Margaret Drayton) '28

1030 Hillside Avenue
Stillman, Mrs. William Maxson (Ethel Lucile Titsworth) '42

1035 Hillside Avenue
Streuli, Mrs. Alfred F. H. (Frederica Michelle Dwyer Hooper) '15

1045 Hillside Avenue
Timpson, Mrs. Lewis Gouverneur (Helen Frances Waring) '15
Waring, Mrs. Orville G. (Dorothy Fleming) '35

1046 Hillside Avenue
Genung, Mrs. Alfred Gawthrop (Dorothy or "Dot" Madsen) '69
Madsen, Mrs. John (Evelyn or "Evie" Wilson) '70

1300 Prospect Avenue
Streuli, Mrs. Alfred F. H. (Frederica Michelle Dwyer Hooper) '15
Tracy, Mrs. J. Evarts (Caroline Frederica Streuli) '22

1234 Watchung Avenue
Stevenson, Mrs. E. Vickers '41

1239 Watchung Avenue
Brown, Miss Edna M. '34

December 3, 2015

December 3, 2015

Rushmore Building Will Become Self-Storage Facility

Rushmore, Virginia ("Ginny") ‘71, President 1979 - 1981
Rushmore, Mrs. Murray (Helen Joy)
Rushmore, Mrs. Townsend (Jean Betram Murray) '20