Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Pond, Mrs. Harry Hobson '25

924 Madison Avenue

1929 Treasurer Book Active $5.00
1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937 Treasurer Book Active

1932 Address: 1400 Prospect Avenue

[NOTE: 1400 Prospect Avenue is the same home of PGC Member Mrs. William J. Cooke '16]

1938 Treasurer Book, Active: Mrs. Harry H. Pond 1/17/38 Pd, 1/3/29 Pd. 1/4/40 Pd. 1/7/41 Pd. 12/3/41 Pd. 12/1/42 Pd. 12/10/43 Pd. 12/4/44 Pd. 12/1/45 5/18/46 May 12, 1947 May 27, 1948 June 8, 1949

1950 - 1951 Treasurer Book, Associate, Pond, Mrs. Harry May 29, 1950 May 1951 June 1952

1942 Address: 1400 Prospect Avenue

1953 Address: 972 Kensington Avenue

Mother-in-law to Plainfield Garden Club member Mrs. C. Northrop (Toddy) Pond '53

Also related to PGC Member Mrs. Harlan Butterfield (Jane Brewer Atwater) Pratt '53

972 Kensington Avenue, Plainfield Aucubas

The best-looking Aucubas I know in Plainfield flank the entrance at 972 Kensington Avenue.

from 2008 Gregory Palermo's Plainfield Tree Blog

1912 Banking Publicity Assn of the United States

The Plainfield Trust Company, organized in 1902.

Directors: Harry H. Pond
J. Herbert Case
Frederick Geller
Augustus V. Heely
James W. Jackson
Edward H. Ladd, Jr.
Charles W. McCutchen
Henry A. McGee
Charles A. Reed
Isaac W. Rushmore
Frank H. Smith
Samuel Townsend
Cornelius B. Tyler
Lewis E. Waring
Orville T. Waring

Chauncey Northrop Pond (1841 - 1920)

The papers of the Rev. Chauncey Northrop Pond reveal Pond's concern to document the lives of missionaries in China and other countries by collecting missionary correspondence and related historical materials. Pond's professional files offer a limited view of his sixty-year career as a Congregational minister. There is virtually no information on his personal life in this collection.

The collection is arranged into four records series: Series I, Correspondence of Foreign Missionaries, Collected and Received by C. N. Pond; Series II, Historical Files Collected by C. N. Pond; III, Files Relating to the Pastoral Work of C. N. Pond, and IV. Pond Family Photographs. Within series, materials are arranged alphabetically by topic or type of material.

Chauncey Ponds' collection of missionary correspondence and historical material, with its emphasis on China, documents the Ponds' personal interest in the Oberlin missionaries who served in Shansi Province. The Ponds' only daughter, Mrs. Jennie Pond Atwater (1865-96), for four years a missionary at the Fenzhou station of the American Board, died there of puerperal fever at age 31. In the 1900 Boxer Rebellion, the Ponds lost their son-in-law, the Rev. Ernest R. Atwater (1865-1900), their grandchildren, Ernestine (b. 1889), Mary (b. 1892), Celia, and Bertha (b. 1896), and Ernest's second wife, Elizabeth Graham Atwater. The Pond papers contain Jennie Pond Atwater's letters (1892-96) addressed to her mother and father describing daily life, her children, and her struggle to learn Chinese. Jennie's letters to other China missionaries are located in the papers of missionaries Lydia Lord Davis (30/80) and Alice Moon Williams (30/58) held in the College Archives. A copy of Ernest's diary letter describing Jennie's death is located in the papers of Alice Moon Williams (30/58) with other letters from Ernest.

Unique to this missionary collection is a small group of letters written in 1898 by Jennie Pond Atwater's daughters, Ernestine (age 8) and Mary (age 6), to their parents and grandparents, Rev. and Mrs. Pond. These letters are fresh and affecting, especially in view of the imminent tragedy. Also present in Series I are letters from the following China missionaries: Dr. Irenaeus J. Atwood (1850-1913), Rowena Bird (1865-1900), Eva Jane Price (1855-1900), the Rev. C. W. Price (1847-1900), Alice Moon Williams (1860-1952), Lydia Lord Davis (1867-1952), and Jennie Rowland Clapp (1845-1900).

The Boxer Rebellion itself is not well documented in Pond's historical files. The researcher is advised to consult the papers of Alice Moon Williams (30/58) for contemporary accounts of the massacre. Of interest in these papers, however, are photocopies of news accounts (1900-01) from The Oberlin News describing the memorial service for the murdered missionaries conducted by the Rev. Pond and Rev. Henry. M. Tenney (1841-1932) for Oberlin's First and Second Congregational churches on November 18, 1900. These accounts reveal the massacre's devastating impact on Oberlin's Congregational churches, each of which had lost missionaries in the uprising. First Church's long involvement with foreign missionaries is documented by a notebook (1865-85) containing loose papers relating to the Ladies Foreign Missionary Society, probably a predecessor to First Church's Woman's Foreign Missionary Society. Among the papers are two letters (1874, n.d.) from women missionaries to the wife of the President of Oberlin College, Mrs. Charles Grandison Finney (Rebecca Allen Rayl, 1824-1907).

A scrapbook assembled by the Rev. Pond, entitled "News from China," documents in part the role of several graduates of Oberlin College in reopening the Shansi Mission after its destruction by the Boxers. Spanning the period 1904 to 1919, it contains printed materials relating to the work of Wynn Cowan Fairfield(1886-1961), Paul L. Corbin (1875-1936), and Flora Heebner (1874-1947) and contains a report (1914) on the Lydia Lord Davis School for Girls in Fenzhou. Also present are photographs (1908, 1912-19, n.d.) depicting the mission buildings at Fenzhou and Taigu and the families of the second generation of Shansi missionaries. These are housed in Subseries 2 of this series. Photographs of the Pond family and relatives are housed in Series IV.

Of considerable interest are letters (1875-1913, n.d.) from missionaries in Africa, Bulgaria, Turkey, India, and the Pacific island of Uola. Correspondents not only depict daily life in their countries but also provide corroboration of the common missionary experience: loneliness, fear, illness, language difficulties, and unshakable Christian faith. Correspondents from Africa include Emma C. Redick (b. 1872), Janette E. Miller, Nellie J. Arnott, Louise B. Fay (b. 1869), and Minnie J. Sanders. Charles K. Tracy (b. 1874) and Anna Victoria Mumford (b. 1838) write from Turkey and Jennie Fuller from India. Some letters are addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. Pond" and others are circular letters to "Dear Friends."

Materials pertaining to Rev. Pond's pastoral work span the years 1866 (the year of his ordination) to 1920, the year of his death. Pond's appointment and reappointments to the pastorate at Berea Congregational Church in Berea, Ohio, are documented by a small number of appointment letters (1862-94). Pond's correspondence (1894-1906) with the trustees of the North Bloomfield Congregational Church mainly concerns the terms of his service there as a part-time supply preacher. Various miscellaneous files, including an account book, scrapbook materials, and loose notes, provide scant evidence of Pond's tireless work for the Industrial Missionary Association of Alabama and the Associated Charities of Lorain County.

Series Descriptions
Series I. Correspondence of Foreign Missionaries, Collected and Received by C. N. Pond, 1852-1913, n.d. (13f)

Correspondence of foreign missionaries, received and collected by the Rev. and Mrs. Harriet Perkins Pond. Includes ms. originals, ms. and typescript copies, and transcriptions. "Miscellaneous correspondence" contains condolences received by the Ponds and letters received by Marion Metcalf (b. 1859; B.A. Wellesley, 1880) relating to mission work. Arranged alphabetically by country and thereunder alphabetically by missionary.

Series II. Historical Files Collected by C. N. Pond, 1864-1919, n.d. .2 l.f.

Organized into two subseries by type of material. Subseries 1 contains textual materials; Subseries 2 contains photographs.

Subseries 1. Miscellaneous Files Relating to China Missionaries and the Far East, 1864-1919, n.d. (9f)

Correspondence, transcriptions and photocopies of news accounts, a disbound scrapbook entitled "News From China," containing clippings and printed materials, and loose notes, organized alphabetically by topic or type of material. Files mainly concern the activities of Oberlin missionaries in reopening the Shansi Mission after 1904. Two files pertain to the 1900 Boxer Rebellion and the martyred missionaries.

Subseries 2. Photographs of the Shansi Mission and Missionaries, 1908, 1912-19, n.d. (59 items)

Loose photographs, arranged alphabetically by subject. Photographs depict the Taigu and Fenzhou missions of Shansi Province, China and their missionaries, including the Rev. Wynn C. Fairfield and Rev. Paul L. Corbin families.

Series III. Files Relating to the Pastoral Work of C. N. Pond, 1862-1920, n.d. .8 l.f.

Correspondence, certificates of ordination, marriage licenses, promissory notes and receipts, scrapbooks, notes for talks, and miscellaneous printed materials, arranged alphabetically by type of material. Also housed here are Pond family photographs.

Series IV. Pond Family Photographs, 1885-1916 .2 l.f.

Studio portraits of the Pond family and their relatives. Most are labeled on the verso.

Provenance
The papers of the Rev. Chauncey N. Pond were transferred to the Oberlin College Archives in five separate accessions in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1974, and 1992.

Related Materials
The following collections in the Oberlin College Archives contain materials relating to missionary work in China:
15 Records of the Oberlin Shansi Memorial Association
21 Oberlin File, Section II
30/21 George Frederick Wright
30/26 Margaret Portia Mickey
30/49 Paul Leaton Corbin
30/58 Alice Moon Williams
30/67 George Nelson Allen
30/76 Willard L. Beard
30/80 Lydia Lord Davis
30/130 Everett D. Hawkins
30/145 A. Clair Siddall, M.D.
38/1 Miscellaneous Missionary Records
For additional information on missionary work in Africa, consult the papers of Alice and Elizabeth Little (30/7) and the papers of Gertrude Jacob (30/85). Jacob's papers also contain letters from missionaries in India. The papers of Henry E. Woodcock (30/81) contain letters of Lucy Woodcock, a teaching missionary in Jamaica. Further information relating to mission work in the Oberlin community is available in the Records of the First and Second Congregational Churches (31/6/12).

resource

January 10, 1980 Scotch Plains Times

United National Bank
202 Park Avenue
Plainfield

Directors:

Mrs. C. Northrop Pond
Kendrick F. Bellows
Irving Bussel
Donald D. Carpenter
George F. Hetfield
Lowell F. Johnson
Alden R. Loosli
Richard C. Marder
Kenneth W. Turnball
C. Benson Wigton, Jr.

The Drake House -- Plainfield Historical Society

http://drakehousemuseum.tripod.com/id3.html


The Historical Society of Plainfield is committed to preserving the history, diversity, and culture of Plainfield and the surrounding areas through its collections, exhibits, lectures, and educational programs.
Please check this page, as we will be posting upcoming exhibits and events.

The Historical Society of Plainfield received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of Cultural Affairs in the Department of State. Funding has been made possible in part by the McCutchen Foundation, the Plainfield Foundation, the Pond Foundation and the New Jersey Historical Commission, a Division of Cultural Affairs in the Department of State, through a grant administered by the Union County Division of Cultural and Heritage Affairs.

Pond Machine Tool Co.

Plainfield Library

Plant workers and patriotism, May 9, 1918.

Employees of the Pond Machine Tool Co. in Plainfield assembled for a patriotic speech in 1918. On May 9, plant employees were addressed by two Canadian veterans of the Battle at Vimy Ridge (April 9, 1917). The men, who rallied the crowd with their war stories, were sent to the United States by the British government to help sell Liberty Bonds. The Pond Machine Tool Company Works, a subsidiary of the Niles-Bement-Pond Company of New York, was moved to Plainfield from Worchester, Mass. in 1887. Headquartered at 929 South Second Street, the company manufactured tools such as lathes, planers, and radial drills used in automobile shops and machine building plants. During the Spanish-American war in 1898, the Plainfield plant manufactured disappearing gun carriages for the government. In December 1925, the Niles-Bement-Pond Co. sold the factory for $13 million to Mack Trucks, Inc., and moved the entire business to the company's headquarters in Ohio.

Photo ID: C40733 - Part of the Paul R. Collier Photograph Collection

December 11, 1903

Daily Princetonian, Volume 28, Number 140, 11 December 1903 – GLEE CLUB CONCERT In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

GLEE CLUB CONCERT

In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

The second concert of the Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs will be given in the Casino of Plainfield, N. J., to-night at 8.15 o'clock. The clubs will leave Princeton to-day at 1.21 p. m., and arrive at Elizabeth at 2.20. Leaving Elizabeth on the C. R. R. of N. J. at 2.35, they will reach Plainfield at 3.03. The men will be entertained at the homes of the Princeton alumni, and immediately after the concert adance will be given in honor of the clubs. On the return trip the men will leave Plainfield on Saturday at 9.40 a. m., reaching Elizabeth at 10.04, leave at 10.06, and arrive in Princeton at 11. The program of the concert follows: PART FIRST. 1. Old Nassau, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. A Rag Time Ball, J. H.Jennings Banjo Club. 3. 1904 Medley, Arranged by K. S. Clark Glee Club. 4. Selections from Babes in Toyland, Herbert Mandolin Club. 5. Fantasienstuck, Arranged Banjo Club. PART SECOND. 1. Step Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. Gondoliere, Nevin Mandolin Club. 3. The 1904 Rakion, Joseph Chapman Banjo Club. 4. Solo, Selected Mr. Truesdale. 5. Espanola Viva, Arranged Glee and Mandolin Clubs. 6. The White Crow, Paul Eno Banjo Club. PART THIRD. 1. Bedelia, Schwartz Mandolin and Banjo Clubs. 2. Selection, Arranged Glee Club. 3. Danse Caprice, Grieg Mandolin Club. 4. Triangle Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs. The patronesses are as follows : Mrs. Charles F. Abbott, Mrs. Frederick H. Andrews, Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, Mrs. John T. Baker, Mrs. Eliot T. Barrows, Mrs. James R. Blake, Mrs. Charles I. Brooks, Mrs Howard W. Beebe, Mrs. E. H. Booth, Mrs. P. W. Bakely, Mrs. P. T. Brown, Mrs. J. Hervey Buchanan, Mrs. J. Edgar Corlies, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Mrs. J. B. Dumont, Mrs. M. E. Egerton, Mrs. Chapman Fisk, Mrs. Howard Fleming, Mrs. Walter Gaston, Mrs. Wm. T. Gaugh, Mrs. John F. Harmon, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Mrs. Eugene H. Hatch, Mrs. W. E. Honeyman, Mrs. James Hayes, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Henry L. Hall, Mrs. Henry C. Irons, Mrs. D. C. Ivins, Mrs. William T. Kaufman, Mrs. William E. Lowe, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, Jr., Mrs. E. L. Mack, Mrs. George P. Mellick, Mrs. H. Raymond Munger, Mrs. William H. Murray, Mrs. Henry A. McGee, Mrs. Walter Mc- Gee, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Frank S. Martin, Mrs. Theodore W. Morris, Jr., Mrs. F. G. Meade, Mrs. Arthur J. Otterson, Mrs. D. W. Pond, Mrs. W. G. Peckham, Mrs. W. A. Pinto, Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, Mrs. David Rowland, Mrs. George S. Ring, Mrs. George T. Rogers, Mrs. Joseph M. Shellabarger, Mrs. Walter E. Stewart, Mrs. Lemuel W. Serrell, Mrs. Alfred F. H. Streuli, Mrs. Henry M. Stockton, Mrs. Joseph W. Sandford, Jr., Mrs. C. L. Sykes, Mrs. R. B. Strong, Mrs. George A. Strong, Mrs Duncan W. Taylor, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Lewis G. Timpson, Mrs. Mason Tyler, Mrs. Edward M. Van Buren, Mrs. George W. Van Boskerck, Mrs. A. Vandewater, Mrs. J. Vandewater, Mrs. William B. Wadsworth, Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. Lewis E. Waring, Mrs. Theodore D. Wilson, Mrs. E. Woltman, Mrs. John S. Zelie.

Frank B. Bennett & Company 1912

The Plainfield Trust Co.

On the fourth day of June, ten years ago, the Plainfield Trust Company of Plainfield, N.J., opened for business in an unpretentious store on one of the principal streets on that city. In three years, when by its aggressive methods it had acquired a deposit line of one and a half million dollars, it moved into its handsome building on Park avenue which it now occupies, and which is not only the most imposing edifice in Plainfield but is one of the finest banking houses in the State of New Jersey. In its new home the business of the institution has continued to prosper under the efficient management of its energetic and capable staff of officers until today the company reports deposits of four millions of dollars and a surplus and undivided profit account of two hundred and forty thousand dollars, or nearly two and a half times the amount of its capital.

In addition to the four million of deposits, the company has in its custody a million and a half of trust funds which are kept separate and apart from its assets. This trust business is but another indication of the confidence which the institution has won during the comparatively short period of its existence – a confidence that is based on the character of the service which has been rendered but on the personnel of its directors, all of whom are representative men in the community and who bring to the business the inspiration of some New York City's most important business activities as may be seen from the following:

LIST OF DIRECTORS
and their connections: J. Herbert Case, vice-president Franklen Trust Co., Brooklyn; Frederick Geller, attorny and counseller-at-law, New York; Augustus V. Heely, vice-president The Farmers' Loan and Trust Co., New York; James W. Jackson, executor of the Jesse Hoyt Estate, New York; Edward H. Ladd, Jr. & Wood Bankers, New York; Charles W. McCutchen, Holt & Co., Commision Merchants, New York; Henry A. McGee, Standard Oil Co., New York; Walter M. McGee, Vacuum Oil Co., New York; Charles A. Reed, attorney and counsellor-at-law, New York; Isaac W. Rushmore, dairy products, New York; Frank H. Smith, register Union County, Elizabeth, N.J., Samuel Townsend, president Peoples National Bank, Westfield, N.J., Cornelius B. Tyler, Tyler & Tyler, attorneys, New York; Lewis E. Waring, Edward Sweet & Co., bankers, New York; and Orville T. Waring, Standard Oil Co., New Jersey.

Mr. H. H. Pond, secretary of the company, assumed this position two years ago, and during his uncumbency the deposits have increased from about $2,750,000 to $4,000,000. Mr. Pond has also been president of the New Jersey Bankers Association during the past year and in that capacity has won many friends both for himself and for the institution which he represents.

The Plainfield Trust Company conducts a banking trust, special, safe deposit and "banking by mail" department. Through the latter the institution has extended its operation all over New Jersey, and there are few towns in the state in which some of its deposits may not be found.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4wkhAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA44&lpg=RA2-PA44&dq=edward+h.+ladd+new+jersey&source=bl&ots=dm0GnDDx-W&sig=YQvKfBNAEj2-SnuL0oqvlP4dhJ8&hl=en#v=onepage&q=edward%20h.%20ladd%20new%20jersey&f=false

Westfield Leader 1944

http://archive.wmlnj.org/CityDirectory/1944/pg_0169.pdf

PLAINFIELD SAVINGS BANK, Louis K. Hyde Pres, Asa F. Randolph V-Pres, Harry B. MacDonald V-Pres-Sec-Treas, Austin W. Hutchinson Asst Sec-Asst Treas 102 E. Front (Plainfiled), Tel Plainfield 0742

PLAINFIELD TITLE & MORTGAGE GUARANTY CO., Harry H. Pond Pres., DeWitt Hubbell and John A. Gaffney V-Prests, Frank E. Chobot Sec, F. Irving Walsh Treas, H. Douglas Davis Asst Treas 119 W. Front (Plainfield), Tel 6-1300 (See page 29 Buyer's Guide)

October 13, 1895 New York Times

New York Times October 13, 1895

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F40E17F93A5911738DDDAA0994D8415B8585F0D3

THE WEEK IN PLAINFIELD

Entertainment by the Dorcas Society – Monday Afternoon Club

PLAINFIELD, N.J., Oct. 12 – A social event of the last week was the entertainment given by the Dorcas Society, King's Daughters, at the home of Miss Maude Lowrie, in Park Avenue, Monday evening. It was titled "The Circulating Library," and was given for the purpose of raising funds for the benefit of the poor of the city. The guests on arriving were given a blank catalogue, with only numbers on it, and they were to guess the titles of books represented. The Reception Committee was composed of Miss Bowers, Miss Brown, Miss Lowrie and Miss Langdon. Those presiding at the talbes were Mrs. Crane and Miss Wyckoff, assisted by Mrs. Clark, Mrs. C. T. Pond, Miss Minnie French, Miss Green, Miss Ella Blish, and Miss Maltly. In the library were Miss Crane, Miss Cornwell, Miss Lou French, Miss Millie Landgon, Miss Etta BLish, Miss Alice Hayners, Miss Bessie Titsworth, and Miss Kline.

S.E. Hull of Duer Street has returned from Broadway, where he spent the Summer.

The Monday Afternoon Club, Plainfield's leading woman's club, held it sifrst meeting of the Fall. On account of repairs being made at the Casino or the Union County Country Club, where the meeings are usually held, the ladies gathered in the parlors of the Congregational Church. The subject upon which papers are to be read for the coming year is "Some Great Florentines and Their Times." Two papers were read Monday – one by Mrs. Josiah Brown and the other by Mrs. Robert Lowry. Next month the paper will be read by Miss Kenyon, Principal of the Young Ladies' Seminary.

H. M. Stevens of Fanwood gave a reception at the Fanwood Clubhouse Friday evening.

Miss Nellie Saums of Ricefiled is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. R. V. Saums of Clinton Avenue.

George Barton has returned to Keyport after a visit with Mrs. Barton of Madison Avenue.

Edward Hooley of Rockview Avenue has gone to Atlanta.

The Rev. E. L. Hyde of Hyde Park, Mass., is visiting friends in Plainfield.

The Misses Anthony of Crescent Avenue have returned from Europe.

Miss Bessie Booker of Richmond, Va., has been visitng Miss Dryden of West Seventh Street.

James Smith of Elmwood Place has returned from Amesbury, Mass.

Miss May Haberle, who has been visitng her cousin, Miss Lillie Haberle, has returned to her home in Orange.

Miss Mary Ryder of Brooklyn, who has been visiting at the home of Robert Lucky of Fifth Street, has returned home.

Charles L. Case and family of Central Avenue returned this week from their European trip.

Miss Lydia Duffert of Morris County is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Van Dyke of East Front Street.

Mr. and Mrs. John Burnett of Brookyln have been visiting Mr. and Mrs. Charles Doane of Fifth Street.

Charles Potter of West Seventh Street has returned from Philadelphia.

Mrs. Florence Howe Hall of Madison Avenue is in Massachusetts delivering a course of lectures.

Miss Mary and Miss Grace Shreve of New York are guests of B. J. Shreve of Grove Street.

Miss Agnes Baldwin of Brooklyn is the guest of Miss Haviland of Washington Park.

Benjamin Terry of Bridgeport is the guest of the Misses Livergey of Park Avenue.

Thomas H. Keller of East Front Street left this week for a trip South.

C. C. Burke and family have left for their Winter home in New York, after spending the Summer at the cottage on Ravine Road Netherwood.

William Tyler of West Eigth Street has gone to Europe.

David Krymer of West Second Street has gone to Baltimore.

Dr. Frank Searles and Mrs. Searles have returned to Bayonne, after a visit with Dr. and Mrs. H. H. Lourie of Park Avenue.

Dr. John H. Carman and fmaily of Somerset Street returned this week from the Adirondacks.

Dr. B. Van D. Hedges of Watchung Avenue is home from his outing in Maine.

Miss Caroline Fitz Randolph, daughter of ex-Mayor L. V. F. Randolph of East Front Street, sailed Saturday for Europe.

1400 Prospect Avenue, Plainfield, NJ

Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)

Black locusts get no respect. People have largely quit planting them. The trees plant themselves, soldiering on, spreading both by seed and by shoots from their roots. They're often considered weeds. Capable of fixing nitrogen, black locusts don't need fertile soil and can grow almost anywhere. (1) The reason we no longer plant them in any numbers is their terrible problem with borers, a very difficult to control insect pest that can cause them devastating damage.

2007 from Gregory Palermo's Plainfield Tree Blog

1400 Prospect Avenue passes to Bill Murrie

http://www.protecthersheychildren.org/documents/Our%20Hershey%20Heritage%20-%201992.pdf

"Our Hershey Heritage" November 9, 1992
"The Salesman, William F. R. Murrie"

William Franklin Reynolds Murrie

In 1873, David and Amanda Murrie became the proud parents of Bill Murrie, raised in Bedford County in Western Pennsylvania. His father, a Scottish immigrant, was a coal miner. His mother, Amanda Horne, was a native Pennsylvanian and the sister of prominent Pittsburghˇ retailer Joseph Horne.

At the age of 16, Bill Murrie completed Bedford High School and began an apprenticeship as a telegrapher with the Western Maryland Railroad. Despite rapid advancement to a train dispatcher, Murrie soon became bored with railroad life and went to work for the Pittsburgh Confectionery Company of Weaver and Costello.
Within a couple years Mr. Murrie, not yet 23, was the top salesman
and ready for increased responsibilities and challenges.

Milton Hershey first met Bill Murrie in Pittsburgh and was immediately impressed by the young man's intelligence and ambition, and gave him the challenge he was seeking. It was 1896 and Mr. Hershey was heading the thriving Lancaster Caramel Company. He had recently purchased and installed some chocolate-making equipment that he had seen at the Chicago World's Exposition. Selling chocoalte was Bill
Murrie's first chaile.nge. The story is told that in the first week, Bill
Murrie/ as salesman/ sold as much chocolate –200 barrels –as the
equipment could produce in a year. Bill Murrie was on his way.
At a double desk in Lancaster, Milton Hershey ran the caramel business from one side while across from him Bill Murrie looked after the growing chocolate business. In 1901/ Milton Hershey sold the caramel business to devote full time to making a wide variety of chocolate products. Sales were $600,000 per year when Mr. Hershey decided to relocate the chocolate firm to Derry Church and/ in 1903, Mr. Murrie moved to what was:to become Hershey, PA.

As General Manager, he took up residence in the former Tea House at the intersection of the Reading Turnpike (now Chocolate Avenue) and Spring Creek.

When the chocolate firm was relocated, Mr. Murrie and Mr. Hershey decided to drop all novelties to concentrate on nationally distributing a limited line of high ,quality, mass-produced chocolate products that everyone could afford. The five-cent milk chocolate and almond bars were born and so was the winning strategy that created the Hershey success.

By 1908, sales were $2 million a year. Hershey Chocolate was
incorporated, with Milton as Chairman of the Board and Bill Murrie as
its 35 year-old president, a position he was to hold for an astounding
39 years.

From the executive office building Mr. Murrie ran the chocolate
company, while Mr. Hershey devoted himself to building a town,
starting his school for boys, and concocting new candy bars.

On call to assist Mr. Murrie was a promising young secretary by the name of Dick Uhrich, as well as an energetic young man by the name of Sam Tancredi.

Many of the major business milestones during Mr. Murrie's career with Hershey Chocolate Company occurred during the times of national crisis.

During World War II the Federal government decided to give its
servicemen a Christmas present and chose Hershey bars as the giftl
establishing an even stronger niche in the minds of those men.
In the 1920s, Mr. Murrie became intrigued with the idea of selling a
chocolate bar containing peanuts. Mr. Hershey was dubious about the
proposition for a variety of reasons, but allowed Murrie to go ahead -provided the Hershey name did not appear on it. Mr. Goodbar was
introduced successfully under the fictitious sponsorship of the
Chocolate Sales Corporation of Hummelstown.

During the Depression, Mr. Murrie and .his chief chemist, Sam Hinkle, took a tour of Europe to study the latest chocolate-making trends and techniques. The immediate results of this trip were two new products, Aero and Biscrisp, that were introduced into the U.S. market, but
discontinued before the war.

The relationship begun by Mr. Murrie was continued on by his
successors and 35 years later resulted in the RowntreeMackintosh/
Hershey licensing agreement that, through the popular Kit
Kat brand, remains a major contribution to the company's growth.
Like all the early leaders of the town, Mr. Murrie was on virtually every Board in sight. However, his activity and influence seemed to have been pretty much concentrated on the chocolate company except for a two-year stint as President of Hershey Estates from 1927 to 1929. Mr. Murrie was a lifelong and sometimes vocal Democrat in an area
0(.
that was overwhelmingly Republican.

While vocal, he was not very active on the political front until the second term of Franklin Roosevelt's presidency when two events coalesced to incite Mr. Murrie to political action. The first was the strike at Hershey Chocolate which was widely rumored to have been
actively supported by the Labor Department in Washington.
The second was the explosion of New Deal Regulatory Agencies that threatened tOI and did l change forever the way business is done in the U.S.

Through Secretary of Agriculture Henry Wallace –later FDR's wartime
Vice President (a convenient coincidence) –Murrie gained access to
Washington's inner circle.

These seeds sownl two benefits were promptly harvested. Firstl Mr. Murrie obtained the assignment to develop what later was to become the 'Ration Bar' and entrusted the project to his chemist, Mr. Hinkle. The ration bar spread the name and fame of Hershey around the world.

Second, throughout the wartime sugar. quotas –which actually lasted into 1948, Hershey Chocolate received at least equitable, if not beneficial treatment.

Following the 1937 strike, Mr. Hershey became progressively removed from direct involvement with the company and his 40-year old friendship with Bill Murrie began to cool, but not die. By the time the war was over, Mr. Hershey had passed away and Mr. Murrie's health was failing. Due to cataracts that operations could not correct, he was functionally blind.

Percy Staples, the mastermind of a highly profitablprofitable Cuban sugar operation, had been hand-picked by Milton Hershey to succeed Mr. Murrie. In a lightning swift bit of boardroom maneuvering, Mr. Staples forced the 74-year old Bill Murrie into retirement in January 1947. Shattered by his ouster, Sm Murrie moved to Plainfield, New Jersey_ He died three years later. He was buried in the Hershey cemetery.

So much for Mr. Murrie's history. How about the man? He was a strapping, handsome, dignified, six-foot-one-inch, towheaded Scotsman. He looked the part of a company president. And he lived up to the Scottish heritage.

His frugality was legendary. Bill Murrie was the UBarry Bonds of
Business" in the 1920s and 1930s. In a world shocked by Babe
Ruth's $100,000 yearly salary, Bill Murrie was one of the five best-
paid men in American industry, and quietly earned as much as the
Babe.

When asked in the 1930s how he could justify receiving $50,000 per year more than FOR, Murrie chomped angrily on his cigar, then perked up and said, "That's easy, this outfit is making money. That gang in Washington is losing dough every day."

Only a very few people really became wealthy in Hershey, PA, but Bill Murrie was certainly one of them. Despite his big income, his flashy Packard roadster, his elegant clothes and the mansion he built on East Chocolate –the biggest house in town –Bill Murrie had a deserved reputation for frugality.

As President, at Christmas he was buried under an avalanche of gifts -liquor, hams, turkeys, etc. One night he enlisted two men from the Sales Department to help him cart all the gifts home from the office. After packing all the gifts into a huge closet already overFlowing from previous gifts, the two sales guys figured they would at least get a bottle of booze for their efforts. It was not to be. "Thanks, fellows", Bill Murrie said and handed each four bananas. In those days, Milton Hershey tipped his barber 25 ˘, Bill Murrie 1 O˘.
While Bill Murrie was a tight man with a dollar, his wife –undoubtedly with his full knowledge –quietly established a reputation as one of the most charitable people ever to live in Hershey.

Throughout the Depression, when the pantries or coal bins of people in town were empty, deliveries of groceries or coal would mysteriously be
made -at no charge to the recipient. The bills were quietly paid by
Sara Murrie, with no one's knowledge except the merchants.
Mrs. Murrie was from Maryland and Mr. Murrie met her at a picnic
following a semi-pro game his ball team was playing. She was a
Catholic. The Methodist Bill Murrie changed religions to marry her.
As the Catholic president of the largest employer in an area and era
where Catholics were the economic underclass, Bill Murrie was under
constant, and sometimes not too subtle, pressure from the local
Monsignor to show a bit of favoritism in the hiring and promotion of
Catholics. After a particularly high-pressure session he was once
overheard to explode to the priest, "Holy sucker in Hell, Father, I'm
running a business here, not a charity".

Mr. Murrie was undoubtedly a consummate "people person". For instance, when he was a traveling salesman, he met Catherine Sweeney in a candy shop in Jamestown, New York, introduced Mr. Hershey to her and played cupid for over a year until Milton Hershey and Catherine Sweeney became man and wife. Some believe Mr.
Murrie's role as matchmaker was the reason from Mr. Hershey's
promotion of Murri~. Most evidence is that ability was an even greater
factor.

Bill Murrie was reported to be extremely punctual. Having been
chauffeured the 150 yards from his house to the factory, he would
arrive at his desk at 8:03 on the dot every morning, the extra three
minutes having been spent standing at the front door checking to see
who was getting to work late.

Mr. Murrie, although not the Sales Manager after the move from
Lancaster to Hershey, still "kept tight personal control of the three big
industrial customers -Mars, Peter Paul and Reynolds Tobacco.

Shortly before the warI Frank Mars' son Forrest was interested in marketing a new chocolate product, but could foresee a shortage of chocolate developing during the inevitable war. With his father's support, son Bruce Murrie teamed up with Forrest Mars in assuring a supply of scarce chocolate for t~eir new product -M &Ms (for Mars and Murrie) throughout the war. After quotas ended in 1948, Forrest
Mars maneuvered Bruce out and went on to become Hershey's largest
competitor. Mr. Murrie's role in helping to establish our biggest
competitor, partially to benefit his son, is one decision we'd like to
make over again.
His biggest contribution, of course, was taking Mr. Hershey's products and building the chocolate company from $600,000 per year when he became General Manager to $120 million per year when he retired. Bill Murrie successfully implemented what Milton Hershey invented, leaving Mr. Hershey time to build the town and start the school.

My favorite and final story about Bill Murrie concerns the habit of people saying that "the Hershey bar doesn't taste like it used to". Confronted with this chronic comment, Mr. Murrie would inevitably reply, "It never did".
Thank you.
(END)
MTM:cm

William F. R. Murrie

former Hershey's Chocolate president William F. R. Murrie originated the Hershey Bar; co-"inventor" of M&Ms
expired 9-7-1950 in Plainfield, New Jersey age 77

photo 1935

Residence of Harry H. Pond, 1400 Prospect Avenue

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.


publication circa 1917

September 2012

A member of the PGC was invited to 1400 Prospect Avenue by the current owner and enjoyed a walk through the grounds. Afterward, the circa 1917 Photograph of the property was sent to the current homeowner. Here is the exchange:

Thank you so much! I have not seen this particular picture, but it is so–oo interesting! I believe that Harry H. Pond would have been Toddie Pond's Father-in-Law. Toddie is someone you may remember from the Garden Club. She was very well known around here for a very long time. The Ponds were big shareholders in the bank downtown. I think it's name then was New Jersey National. (Not to be confused with BNJ.) This is one of the times I really miss Anne Louise, who was always eager to fill me in, especially if I showed a little background knowledge first!

As you can see, it does look like rhoddys. I would have sworn they would have been installed later, perhaps in the late 30's. Wow! Those natural babies really do last! Obviously, installation by 1917 would have made the Ponds trendsetters!

Also note the absence of the right-hand driveway, which came with the Oneil divorce in the late 1950s or early 60s. They put in the 3-car garage when the outlying property, including the carriage house, was sold for the divorce settlement. (That was before it was called "equitable distribution.") Too bad we can't really see the lovely oak, now mature, that must have masked the remaining drive around to the carriage house. I also like the stones lining the edge of the drive, which looks like it was paved, even then. We redid it, for the first time in many, many years, according to the appearance of the surface. (It was repave or remove. I'm glad we saved it.) We also paved our main drive at that time, as I mentioned. Before that the right-hand drive was still gravel. It's narrower that the left-hand drive, probably because of the trees.

More later. Again, many thanks.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM,

I am once again going through some archives for the Plainfield Garden Club and came across a copy of a book we believe to have been published around 1917 by the Courier News advertising homes in the area. Within is a photo of your house! Perhaps you have seen it before? Do I detect some Rhododendron growing under the windows?

Here is the opening page text:

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.
publication circa 1917

NOTE: The homeowner refers to Anne Louise Davis who was a well known citizen of Plainfield and related to the garden club through her sister-in-law, Mrs. F. Edgar (Dorothy Campbell) Davis '60. A volunteer and contributor to the Plainfield Library, Anne Louise's portrait hangs there today. It was painted by noted artist and Plainfield GC member Mrs. Frederick G. (Geraldine de M. Goutiere) Acomb '62

When the "Oneils" had lived at 1400 Prospect, the story goes that Mr. Oniell had an affair with a woman in the neighborhood and he was discovered on one of his frequent walks to her home through the gardens along Prospect. The divorce was costly, so the property was subdivided. The carriage house to 1400 Prospect, which fronts Evergreen and now is known as 1415 Evergreen. Anne Louis Davis then bought the converted carriage house.

Ghosts & Stories of 1400 Prospect Avenue

The current owner (September 2012) of 1400 Prospect Avenue entertained the Plainfield GC member with stories of the house which included how Plainfield GC Mrs. William J. Cooke '16 and her husband traveled a lot (he had some sort of professional connections in Washington, DC) and their son Billy Cooke was left at the house with a governess.

The Stouts (who lived across the street) could remember how they attended Billy Cooke's birthday parties.

The homeowner said that a pyschic came to the house once and said there were 6 ghosts there. One was detectable by the almond-scented pipe tobacco. Another ghost was detectable by the strong smell of chocolate. And yet another ghost would tug the hair of only true blonds. Upon reading the physical description of Bill Murrie, who lived and died in the house, as "towheaded" one should wonder if the tugging of the hair and the strong smell of chocolate are related. (Mr. Murrie being the well known, powerful Hershey executive.)

The homeowner also reported that one day, Mr. Murrie's son, Bruce, showed up in the driveway and asked to see the house.

Once the house was on a house tour and Plainfield Garden Club member Toddy Pond served as the docent in the dining room.

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. C. F. Pond
821 Third Place

1925 Meeting Minutes

May 13, 1925 Meeting Minutes

1936 - 1937 Meeting Minutes

1954 - 1970 296 Images from Plainfield Library Scrapbook

April 7, 1961 Courier News 25 Years Ago, 1936

Members of the Plainfield Garden Club exhibiting in the International Flower Show in New York were: Mrs. Leslie R. Fort, president, Mrs. Richard M. Lawton, Mrs. William S. Tyler, Mrs. Cornelius B. Tyler, Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Miss Dorothea Tingley, Mrs. Walter M. McGee, Mrs. Arthur G. Nelson, P. Marshall, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd Jr., Mrs. Stephen G. Van Hoesen, Mrs. Elliott C. Laidlaw, Mrs. Clinton F. Ivins, Miss Edna Brown, Mrs. Harold Brown, Mrs. Orville G. Waring, Mrs. DeWitt Hubbell, Mrs. Irwin Taylor and Mrs. Harry H. Pond.

Harry Hobson Pond

Harry Hobson Pond 1870 - 1955

Harry Hobson Pond 1870 - 1955

Birth: 1870
Death: 1955

Burial:
Siloam Cemetery
Vineland
Cumberland County
New Jersey, USA

Created by: Carol Parks
Record added: Jul 22, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 73776478

H. H. Pond

1913 United States Investor

H. H. Pond

H. H. Pond

1913 Trust Companies