Member: Van Boskerck, Miss Maud '20
1922 Address: 825 Park Avenue, Plainfield
1928 Treasurer Book April 15th $5.00
1929 Treasurer Book Active $5.00
1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937 Treasurer Book Active
1932 Directory* Address: 825 Park Avenue
* = This directory was not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.
1938 Treasurer Book, Active: Miss Maud Van Bosckerck 1/10/38 Pd 1/4/39 Pd. 1/25/40 Pd. 7/14/41 Pd. 1/8/42 Pd. 1/24/42 Pd. 4/2/44 Pd. 12/2/44 Pd. 12/1/45 5/28/46 June 30, 1947 June 14, 1948 June 30, 1949 June 30, 1950 June 1951 June 1952
1942 Directory: 825 Park Avenue
NOTE: 1953 Directory listed her membership year as "1944" however, her name is in the 1922 directory.
Related to Mrs. Thomas R. (Lucy Otterson) Van Boskerck '15
Also related to PGC Member Miss Edith Van Boskerck '16
June 2011: An invitation to Shakespeare-in-Bloom was delivered to 825 Park Avenue
1941 - 1947 Club History by Etheldreda Anderegg
1941 - 1947 Club History by Etheldreda Anderegg version 2
[Editor's note: The original document was too faded to scan. This is a different version of a history written by Mrs. Etheldreda Anderegg from 1941 – 1947]
Plainfield Garden Club History
Continued to 1947
On May 14th, 1941 – six years ago to-day in Cedarbrook Park – the Anniversary Dogwood Trees were formally presented to the Park Commission. In making the presentation, Mrs. Arthur Nelson, president, said the garden club wished to make a gift of lasting beauty to mark its anniversary. Mr. Tracey responding for the Park Commissioners commended the club for its civic interest and declared the trees would bring a touch of beauty to thousands of lives. The gift was identified by a large boulder bearing a bronze marker. Mrs. Holliday as chairman of the Dogwood Tree Committee and of the Boulder Committee arranged the anniversary celebration.
That year, 1941, an article appeared in Horticulture in praise of our Shakespeare Garden.
A teacher of the Jefferson School staff was sent to the Audubon Nature Camp in Maine.
Handsome new yearbooks containing a revised constitution, membership lists and permanent covers with loose leaves were issued. About this time some of our members looking back upon some of our achievements of the past, and forward for new horizons to explore, agreed that once more we should storm the ramparts of the Garden Club of America. No organization in garden club circles offers to its members such a wide field of opportunities and assured prestige. This reporter has sat in many important national and state conferences were the effect of this prestige could be observed. When important decisions were due there was an intangible inference in the atmosphere which stemmed to imply – "All those not members of the Garden State of America may now retire to the Jim Crow car."
Better to have failed in the high aim than to succeed vulgarly in the low one" said Browning.
So a committee to explore the possibilities of our being accepted for membership was named by Mrs. Nelson. With Mrs. Corriel as chairman, the committee consisted of Miss Elsie Harmon, Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler, Miss Elizabeth Browne, Miss William Tyler, Mrs. William A. Holliday, Mrs. James Devlin and your historian. Our search for new worlds to conquer began with a meeting at the home of Mrs. William Tyler, on February 21, 1941, when your historian read a letter she had been asked to write to Mrs. Frederic Kellogg, of Morristown Garden Club, prominent garden club personality. The letter would be interesting at this point, but unfortunately it has been lost. Suffice to say, our prise of ourselves was so completely uninhibited that the committee itself was profoundly impressed by the record of performance of the Plainfield Garden Club set forth therein. Shakespeare said "Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful." After all they could not know our worth unless we told them. This time we forestalled a verdict that we had "accomplished nothing."
It might be interjected here that during Mrs. Goddard's regime an effort was made to join the Garden Club of America. Mrs. Kellogg, approached on that occasion, graciously entertained Mrs. Goddard and Mrs. Holliday at luncheon, and they left with the impression that Plainfield, having rejected an invitation to become a charter member of that organization during Mrs. Herring's tenure, it would be futile ever to hope for membership.
An active campaign was launched by all who had relatives or friends in member clubs. This was accelerated when it was learned that a neighboring club had an identical ambition, and had found a sponsor. Because of geographical allocation, we realized that only one of us would be admitted. When it became apparent that we had aroused interest, and had a semblance of chance for acceptance, a special meeting was called at the home of Mrs. Corriel, and the advantages of membership in the Garden Club of America, as well as the financial obligations thoroughly explored. The club was asked to decide whether they wished the committee to proceed with the negotiations. The vote was unanimously affirmative.
Subsequently Mrs. Kellogg requested that the Morristown Club have the pleasure of proposing us, and Mrs. Lauderdale of Short Hills offered to have that club second us. While we waited for the verdict, our campaign never waned.
On May 11th, 1941, tenth anniversary of Iris Garden, the executive board gave a tea to honor Miss Halloway. Mrs. Holliday arranged a delightful affair in the field house. Members of the garden club and thirty guests were invited. Miss Halloway's friends came from far and near while the Iris Garden glowed in a rainbow of colors for the occasion.
The war which was sweeping over France while Mrs. VanBoskerck's history concluded had now reached our shores. "Come to open purple testament of bleeding war." (King Richard) Our members were working for the U.S.O., the Red Cross and Camp Kilmer, apart and in conjunction with the garden club. Plans were sent to the camp to enhance its barren scenes, and seeds to Brittain. Victory gardens were planted, two new chairmanships were added to the executive board – War Activities and Victory Gardens.
In May 1943, we provided vases and began to send flowers regularly to the chapels at Camp Kilmer. This is still being done. Garden books from the Garden Center were placed in the Public Library. Because of gasoline and food rationing it was becoming difficult to hold meetings. Speakers were reluctant to use scarce gasoline and tires for small groups. The war organizations were asking for more things, more effort and more money. The garden club was striving to provide all three.
In June 1943 a delegation from the Garden Club of America came to inspect our members' gardens. Those gardens chosen to head the list were duly explored and approved, but unfortunately the sand of time ran out before they could see them all, and they will never realize all they missed. However, they did see the dogwood planting, the Shakespeare and Iris gardens.
At the annual meeting Mrs. Samuel Carter gave a particularly interesting history of the Shakespeare garden, which was later read by request at the Shakespeare Club. Mrs. Carter said in part: "It has been said that we of the Western World love flowers for what they are, and that the peoples in the East love them for what they suggest. A Shakespeare Garden is full of suggestions, a speaking garden revealing the tradition, folklore and romance of the ancient and timeless plants." Mr. Tracey quoted an authority on the subject as saying that Mrs. Carter's was the finest Shakespeare Garden in the country and that over 15,000 people visited it last year.
Mrs. Coriell announced at the executive board meeting February 2nd, 1944, that Plainfield Garden Club had been elected to membership in the Garden Club of America, and letters of welcome received from sponsoring clubs. It had required three years to reach the new horizons, but a poet once said, "A horizon is nothing but the limit of our sight" so each one attained shows another beckoning in the distance.
Because of rationing, meetings were held in semi-public places of central location. Speakers stressed every phase of conservation. Garden club members were working hard at Camp Kilmer, for the Red Cross and the U.S.O.
In 1945 we became a Founder of the Blue Star Drive, our members contributing generously to this beautiful tribute to the men who served in the armed forces. It is hoped, and the hope is rapidly being fulfilled, that ultimately it will stretch from New Jersey to California.
A new custom was instituted, that of sending a sum of money to the Red Wood Tribute Grove in memory of deceased members. This year, 1945, a dance recital was given to help defray expenses of war activities. Naturally it was under the chairmanship of Miss Maud vonBoskerck, whose motto might well be "Music is my talent – my dearest one." It was very successful artistically and financially.
We helped the New York Botanical Garden celebrate its Fiftieth Anniversary by sending hostesses every day for a week, and by a substantial sum of money for plant research.
In 1945 Lyons Hospital was included on our flower and plant list, and we have continued to supply it weekly for two months of each year. Flowering trees were planted along Blue Star Drive in memory of members' sons lost in the war.
Mrs. Samuel Carter and Miss Harriette Halloway received awards from the Garden Club of New Jersey for their work in Shakespeare and Iris gardens respectively.
Besides bouquets were made twice a week for the wards at Camp Kilmer, beginning in May. Our members volunteered to arrange them.
By this time we were discovering that those "new worlds to conquer" for which we had longed, were providing more opportunities than we could well cope with, and so a junior membership was formed, now numbering six.
The associate membership was enlarged to thirty-five so that active members might be enabled to transfer to it. A questionnaire was sent of work they wished to do. In a Garden Club of America contest for a year's program, Miss Halloway's won honorable mention.
Beginning early in December members of the club met every day in Mrs. Boardman Tyler's studio to make Christmas decorations for the hospital at Camp Kilmer. A big fire blazed in the stove, tons of varied evergreens were provided as well as all other necessary equipment. The studio hummed like Santa Claus' workshop, and great quantities of wreaths with large red bows, small bouquets and other favors emerged to cheer the soldiers at Camp Kilmer and Lyons Hospitals. Joyce Kilmer, for whom the camp was named, wrote of his experience in the other World War: "My shoulders ache beneath my pack, Lie easier cross upon his back" We hoped we eased their burden just a little.
The opportunities offered by the Garden Club of America in the field of conservation are so many and so varied, it was necessary to choose which tangent to pursue. In view of the community and national problems of vandalism and child delinquency, it was thought wise to concentrate the major effort in combating these evils. Working through the public schools seemed the most logical procedure. Mr. Wimer of Jefferson School and Mrs. Rulison of the Park Commission have offered sympathetic cooperation. The first step in the program is the establishment of school gardens, now in process of being planted. The garden club provided the funds. A trial garden, or proving bed was started in Cedarbrook Park in 1946. This year many new perennials were added.
Mrs. Hubble's artistic ability was employed so successfully in redecorating the Garden Center, this observer could scarcely recognize it.
The Garden Club of New Jersey bestowed an award upon us for meritorious work at Camp Kilmer. Miss Halloway has made additions to the peony, Iris and Narcissus gardens. It again became necessary to raise money, and a repeat performance by request, of the dance recital was staged by Miss Van Boskerck.
A suggestion from the Garden Club of New Jersey that we plant a tree to honor garden weekled, after consultation with Mr. Tracey, to the beginning of a dogwood arboretum comprising all the varieties that will grow in this vicinity. Twenty-five varieties have already been planted.
Santa Claus helpers gathered again in Mrs. Tyler's studio to make decorations for Camp Kilmer, and surpassed their effort of the previous year. Our work in this Project was not equaled by that of any club either year.
A thrill of pride must have quivered through our membership from founders to newest recruits, triumphs of our members who exhibited in the New York Flower Show. In the realm of flower arrangement there is no more coveted award than the Fenwick Medal. Our Mrs. deHart was runner up fro that prize last year. This year four exhibits won three blue ribbons and two special awards. It was a magnificent performance which won for us third place in the sweepstakes.
Chapel flowers still are sent to Camp Kilmer. Our members arrange them. We take our turn with the other clubs supplying flowers for the entire hospital regularly from gardens when possible, from florists in cold weather. Two gray Ladies representing Plainfield Garden Club, arrange and distribute the flowers through the wards. The by-laws were again revised and new books issued for the permanent covers.
The executive committee has not overlooked the fact that a War Memorial is of paramount interest to the garden club. Much time as been spent in discussion and deep thought given the matter. Mrs. Boardman Tyler has been named a member of the committee. This year we are sending a teacher to the Audubon Nature Camp in Maine, and another to the Conservation Workshop in Trenton.
Several members have been invited to speak on varied subjects, notably Mrs. Garret Smith on Church Gardens, and Miss Halloway on horticultural subjects. Mrs. Garret has been honored as founder of the Little Garden Club of New York City, of which she is honorary president.
A big of biographical information picked up while perusing the minutes is that our new president, Mrs. Loziuex, became a member of the club in 1940, second vice president in 1942, again in 1945, first vice president in 1946 and president in 1947.
Having been a member of the club only ten years, your historian cannot speak with absolute authority, but thinks it probably that the club reached greater heights of achievement under this administration of Mrs. Tyler than during any comparable period of time. This is partly true because of the new opportunities offered by affiliation with the Garden Club of America, and partly due to Mrs. Tyler's dynamic energy and her determination that the Plainfield Garden Club take advantage of these opportunities and assume its rightful position in the vanguard of progressive garden clubs.
Junius described Mrs. Tyler perfectly when he wrote: "the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct and the hand to execute."
We notice as we go over the chronicles of the garden club, the absence of names once listed so frequently:
Those whom we loved so long, and see no more
Loved and still love,
Not dead, but gone before.
If we ever adopt a coat of arms, it might well show crossed trowels over a field of flower arrangements, the other expounding the futility of vandalism to a young cub. And the motto? It must be from Shakespeare, and it is from The Tempest: Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Or if we choose to abandon the classics: Never a dull moment!
November 14, 1895 New York Times
PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED
In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital – Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success – The Booths.
PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 – There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.
Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.
Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:
French Booth – Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.
Florentine Booth – Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.
Gypsy Booth – Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.
Venetian Booth – Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Haviland, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.
Japanese Booth – Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.
Spanish Booth – Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.
German Booth – Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.
Stationery Booth – Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.
Parisian Flower Stall – Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.
Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams
Plainfield Musical Club
The Plainfield Musical Club was founded in April 1892. The charter members had been meeting informally for several years before officially establishing the club, which was "dedicated to the stimulation of a greater interest in musical culture." Important early members included Miss Maud Van Boskerck, who came to the club as a pianist and contributed to programs as an accompanist and offered her studio as a meeting place. The club was also active with the community. They contributed money to the Red Cross during both World Wars, bought and donated boxes or seats at the Metropolitan Opera House for the Jersey Junior performances as well as tickets to performances by the Plainfield Symphony Society, Plainfield Choral Club and Mendelssohn Glee Club.
Holdings: The collection consists of historical papers, such as meeting minutes and treasurers records, in addition to scrapbooks which cover several decades of organizational activity. See Finding Aid for more information.
New York Times August 18, 1901
New York Times August 18, 1901
CUP GOLF AT PLAINFIELD
Results of Weekly Marches at Hillside and Park Clubs.
PLAINFIELD, N. J. Aug. 17 – Notwithstanding the warm weather, there was a good attendance at the links of the Hillside Golf Club today. In the contest for the Mellick Cup, played this morning, Miss Maude Van Boskerck carried off the honors, the scores being: Miss Maude Van Boskerck 116, 12 - 104; Miss Herwarden, 110, 4 - 106, Miss May Holly, 137, 30 - 107; Miss May Wharton, 150, 35 - 115; Miss Louise Holly, 172, 25 - 137.
In the play for the Golf Committee Cup on the Hillside links, T. R. Van Boskerck led W. L. Glenny today by three points. The scores were: T. R. Van Boskerck, 92, 12 - 80; W. L. Glenny, 88 6 - 83; Walter Peterson, 99, 15 - 84; W. C. Faber, III, 27 -84; C. W. Abbott, 94, 8 - 86; C. A. Stevenson, 116, 24 - 92; C. C. Burke, Jr., 111, 19 - 92; E. W. Hedges, 115, 22-93; J. W. Sandford, 107, 13 -94; E. W. Newkirk, 122, 27 - 95; H. C. Tracey, 123, 17 - 96; L. H. Van Buren, 113, 15 - 98; J. R. Blake, 118, 18 -100; H. C. Munger, 114, 12 - 102; R. Rushmore, 127, 20 -107.
There was a comparatively small field in the weekly competition for the President's Cup at the Park Golf Club, and first and second honors went to Joseph L. Myers and Charles L. Nichols, respectively, who are newcomers in the race, while Charles B. Morse took third place. Senator Charles A. Reed still leads for the trophy.
The score cards better than 100 were: Joseph L. Myers, 117, 30 - 87; Charles L. Nichols, 119, 30 - 80; Charles B. Morse, 107, 15 - 92; William R. Faber, 113, 21 - 97; H. G. Phillips, 124, 25 - 90; Henry C. Wells, 118, 19 - 99.
Plainfield Public Library Archive
May 20, 1936
Union Flower Show Ends in Deadlock
Mrs. L. R. Fort, Mrs. W. S. Tyler Tie with 12 Points for Sweepstakes Honor
Mrs. Leslie R. Fort, president of the Plainfield Garden Club, and Mrs. William S. Tyler, club exhibition chairman, tied for sweepstakes honor yesterday in the first flower show of Union County Garden Center at Cedar Brook Park, Plainfield. Each won twelve points. Members of nine garden groups in the center competed.
Among striking arrangements by the two leading contestants were a small arrangement in Class 1 by Mrs. fort of blue violas and low-growing blue veronica in matching blue container, and a mass arrangement of flowers in tone of white in Class 8 by Mrs. Tyler. The latter's prize-winning economy luncheon table was set at a cost of 87 cents. The cost allowed on the schedule was $2.
Other awards were:
Class 1, small arrangement of flowers own foliage not to exceed ten inches in any one dimension – second, Mrs. Ethan Allen, Mountainside Garden Club; third, Mrs. Otto Krieger, Mountainside, and honorable mention, Mrs. George Moore, Watchung Hills Garden Club. Class 2. miniature arrangement in pair of vases – Mrs. Fort, Miss Ruth Griffen, Watchung Hills; Mrs. William S. Tyler, and honorable mention, Mrs. Moore. Class 2, arrangemnt of flowers in transparent container for window sill – Mrs. George Hansel, Cranford Garden Club; Miss Griffen, Mrs. F. W. Coles, Neighborhood Garderners of Rahway and Colonia, and honorable mention, Mrs. Fort.
Class 4, living room arrangement, tulips, cream to bronze shades in copper container – honorable mention, Mrs. Boardman Tyler, Plainfield Garden Club. Class 5, arrangement of flowers using container not originally designed for flowers – Mrs. Boardman Tyler, Mrs. Fort, Mrs. William S. Tyler, and honorable mention, Mrs. John Kyte, Fanwood Garden Club. Class 6, arrangement in clear glass bottle of cut plant material (no flowers) – Mrs. Hansel, Mrs. E. E. Angleman, garden committee Monday Afternoon Club of Plainfield, Mrs. Boardman Tyler. Class 7, arrangement of flowers in pitcher – Mrs. Krieger, Miss Dorothea Tingley, and honorable mention, Mrs. A. E. Van Doren, Mountainside Garden Club.
Class 8, arrangement of white floers, two or more tones, in white container against wall – second, Mrs. Boardman Tyler; third, Mrs. Coles, and honorable mention, Mrs. Harry Copeland, Mountainside. Class 9, arrangement in Flemish manner, featuring tulips – Mrs. Hugh Child, Fanwood, Class 11, collection of named varieties tulips – honorable mention Mrs. Stephen G. Van Hoesen, president, Fanwood club. Class 12, collection annuals and perennials – Mrs. John J. Couser, Watchung Hills, and honorable mention, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Plainfield Garden Club.
Plainfield Library Archive
Plainfield Public Library
Plainfield Public Library
825 Park Avenue, Plainfield NJ
825 Park Avenue, Plainfield NJ
825 Park Avenue, Plainfield NJ
George W. Van Boskerck
George W. Van Boskerck
Birth: Aug. 21, 1832
New Jersey, USA
Death: Apr. 22, 1911
New Jersey, USA
Former Resident Dead.
George W. Van Boskerck, a former resident of this town, died at his home in Plainfield last Saurday morning after a short illness. He was an active worker in the Episcopal church and one of its liberal supporters during his residence in Westfield. Of his life, the Plainfield Courier-News says:
"Mr. Van Boskerck was born in Hackensack, New Jersey, August 21, 1832. His father was John Van Boskerck, and his mother Elizabeth Taylor. His grandfather, George Van Boskerck, of New York City, was of old Dutch Colonial stock, and was a soldier in the Revoluntionary army.
"Mr. Van Boskerck was one of the original members of the old Corn Exchange, which became the New York Produce Exchange, of which he was at the time of his death one of the oldest members, and where he has been engaged in the commission business for the past sixty years. He was a veteran of the Seventh Regiment, N.Y.N.G., of which he became a member in 1857, in the Sixth Company, with which he saw active servie during the "draft riots," in New York City, at Webb's Shipyard. He was a member of the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York.
"Mr. Van Boskerck has been a resident of Plainfield for the past twenty-two years. He is survived by his widow, two sons, and five daughters: Thomas R. and George T. Van Boskerck; the Misses Sarah M., Maude and Edith Van Boskerck, and Mrs. William S. Tyler, of this city, and Mrs. William Bloodgood, of New York."
The funeral was held from his late residence on West Seventh street, Plainfield, last Monday, and was attended by a large gathering of relatives and friends. Rev. E. Vicara Stevenson, rector of Grace Episcopal church, of Plainfield, officiated, and interment was made in Woodlawn Cemetery, New York. There was a large collecton of floral tributes from friends, who are grieved over his demise. A quartette sang with a wealth of expression and feeling, "Nearer My God to Thee," Peace, Perfect Peace," and "Now the Strife is O'er."
Published by The Westfield Leader on April 26, 1911.
New York, USA
Created by: Lnanaa
Record added: Jun 07, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 91514578
1927 Plainfield Directory
Van Boskerck Edith interior decorator r718 Central
Van Boskerck Geo T grain merchant (NY) h718 Central av
Van Boskerck Maud music tchr (piano) 825 Park av h do
Van Boskerck Sarah M. social service wkr r718 Central av
Van Boskerck Thos R (Lucy) broker h1332 Prospect
1957 Check Book
Sept. 25, 1957
Garden Club of America
Miss Maud Van Boskerck
Mention of "Miss Van Boskerck" – not certain if it is Edith or Maud.
Crescent Avenue Historic District
Crescent Avenue Historic District form for the National Register of Historic Places
825 Park Avenue
Somewhat classical treatment of the recessed entryway through the adaption of the original porch columns and pediment. Leaded glass fan and side lights in the front door surround. The scalloped valance on the third story is not original.
This house has been extensively but tastefully altered, which has changed much of the original design to the extent that it is difficult to determine the original elements. The general effect is of a quite elegance and it has been well adapted its use as professional offices. The front picket fence on a stone base relates well to the District.
The Plainfield Musical Club
The Plainfield Musical Club, the oldest musical club in New Jersey was founded in April 1892 by Miss Caroline Struelli and 21 other women vocalists, pianists and "elocutionists". The charter members had been meeting informally for several years before officially establishing the Club, which was "dedicated to the stimulation of a greater interest in musical culture." Important early members included Miss Maud Van Boskerck, who came to the PMC as a pianist and contributed to programs as an accompanist and offered her studio as a meeting place. She also supported the annual concert of famous artists. Mrs. Albert H. Atterbury built Club membership up to 60, but when members wavered in meeting attendance, her suggestion of disbanding spurred renewed interest.
1925 brought the addition of males to the Club, as well as organists, harpists, orchestral instrument players and the elocutionists became "poet-readers." The PMC season ran from October through July inclusive and it held nine monthly meetings annually.
The Club was also active with the community. They contributed money to the Red Cross during both World Wars, bought and donated boxes or seats at the Metropolitan Opera House for the Jersey Junior performances as well as tickets to performances by the Plainfield Symphony Society, Plainfield Choral Club and Mendelssohn Glee Club. The PMC also made many contributions to the Edward MacDowell Association for its artist's colony in Peterborough, NH. In 1950, the Club established an Scholarship Fund which awarded high school graduates from Plainfield and North Plainfield who were interested in furthering their musical education. The fund was generously supported in 1988 with a donation from the estate of former member Adele de Leeuw, noted Plainfield author and native. The bequest was set up in honor of her sister Cateau de Leeuw, also a noted author, illustrator and club member. Other nationally known members included Harriet Ware, who composed music for solo voice, piano, choral and organ, and Charlotte Garden, once the leading female organist in the United States and Europe.
There were fifteen types of musicianship represented: piano, accompanists, organ, violin, soprano, contralto, tenor, bass and baritone, ensemble, choral director, and poet-reader. There were also five classes of membership: Senior-active, Junior-active, Joint (for husbands and wives), Associate and Honorary. Mrs. Leighton Calkins, wife of a Plainfield mayor, was made the first honorary member in 1919. The Club is still in existence today and remains active, still gathering at members homes.
This small brochure was found in the bottom of a box belonging to Barbara Tracy Sandford '50. 12/22/13
January 13, 2014 Scottish Christmas at the Drake House
January 13, 2014
Once upon a time in Plainfield there were three sisters (there were actually seven sisters, but to our knowledge, only three were Plainfield Garden Club members). Their names were Edith, Maud and Ethel. And each sister was more talented than the next.
Ethel was a founding member of the Plainfield Garden Club in 1915. She married a very prominent Plainfield man, built a huge house on West Eighth Street which is still beautiful today. She was a gourmet cook, despite having a cook in her employ, a blue-ribbon floral designer, an authority on antiques, an artist and lastly, a talented gardener. Ethel was described as having a great sense of humor and adventure.
Maud was a latecomer to the PGC, joining in 1920. To the best of our knowledge, she never married. Maud's great talent was music. An accomplished pianist, she had a studio at 825 Park Avenue, which is still there today, and she taught many in Plainfield the art of the piano. It was here in the large studio that the Plainfield Music Club would gather. Maud was a founding member of the Music Club, a Club that still exists and is only 1 year older than the PGC – beating the PGC out of the honor of "oldest club in Plainfield." Whenever the Club needed entertainment, Maud was always at the ready.
And then there was Edith. Edith's talent was that she was a fine artist. Like Maud, Edith never married. She did, however, have a very successful career as an interior designer. Her philosophy of design was to "make the walls recede" and she was known for wall murals, which she painted herself. Edith had a busy shop on Washington Square and exhibited other well known artists' works at her shop. She was a member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and published in Good Housekeeping.
It was Edith who donated to the Plainfield Historical Society a green and red dress circa 1858. It was this dress that was featured in a Christmas exhibit at the Drake House in 1988, curated by our own Jeanne Turner. Jeanne brought in the pamphlet from this exhibit and that is why there is this story of the three sisters. Thanks Jeanne!
Maud Van Boskerck
October 17, 2014
October 17, 2014
Sally does it again!
Over our 100 year history, the PGC has submitted TEN local gardens for inclusion in the Smithsonian's Archives of American Gardens. As you know, it has been the Garden Club of America's great initiative to document gardens across the nation and have their photos and plans preserved there. Our own Mary Kent just concluded her two-year term as the National Chairman of that GCA committee titled "Garden History & Design." GCA clubs from across the US have painstakingly documented gardens for the Smithsonian. But as most of us can recall, technology wasn't what it is today so some things became "lost" in the great vaults of the Smithsonian. One of these things were the submitted photographs of 1332 Prospect Avenue in Plainfield.
1332 Prospect Avenue was home to Plainfield Garden Club Founding Member Mrs. Thomas Rowe (Lucy Otterson) Van Boskerck '15. Later, it was home to Honorary Member Bernice Swain. Before it became the current home of Jim McGreevey, it belonged to Chris and Kathleen Onieal. Your Editor was once showed these photographs as they were told "they stay with the house" but again, they had been misplaced.
In comes Sally. Sally is friends with Mrs. Van Boskerck's granddaughter, Caroline Norman, who resides in Seattle. Sally remembers visiting 1332 Prospect Avenue often as a child and tells great stories of playing in the attics. Sally, who is a third generation member of the PGC, inquired once more of her friend Caroline if she could locate these mythical photographs. And today they were found and returned to us – and the six sepia photographs are every bit as beautiful as Your Editor remembered.
In addition, Caroline sent along never-before-seen photographs of her Aunt Ethel Tyler and her house at 520 8th Street. We also received our first photo of Mrs. Noss. And perhaps best of all, we are the recipients of some beautiful photographs of 17 year-old Sally, a dashing young Carter and Sally's beautiful children. ENJOY!!
1332 Prospect Avenue and other photos for the Van Boskerck, Tyler, Clendenin, Noss, Genung, Madsen & Booth Families