Member: Tracy, Mrs. Evarts '22

1922 Address: 1009 Hillside Avenue, Plainfield

1932 Directory*: Not Listed
* = This directory is not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.

Tracy and Swartwout

Tracy and Swartwout was a prominent New York architectural firm headed by Evarts Tracy and Edgerton Swartwout. Tracy was the son of first cousins Jeremiah Evarts Tracy and Martha Sherman Greene. His paternal grandmother Martha Sherman Evarts and maternal grandmother Mary Evarts were the sisters of William M. Evarts.

Buildings include:

Date Name Location Notes
1900 Former Yale Club 30 W. 44th Street, New York Now the Penn Club
19051911 Cathedral of St. John in the Wilderness, Denver Denver, Colorado Added to National Register of Historic Places, 1975
1906 Pliny Fisk House New York City (11, 13, 15 E. 45th Street) [1]
1906 Skull and Bones, cloister-garden New Haven, Connecticut For the Yale University secret society. Evarts Tracy is believed to have been an 1890 member of the society, and William M. Evarts was an 1837 member [2]
1915 George Washington Memorial Hall Washington, D.C. [3]
1916 U.S. Post Office and Federal Building Denver, Colorado Added to National Register of Historic Places, 1973
1917 Missouri State Capitol Jefferson City, Missouri Beaux-Arts
1919 Ridgewood High School Ridgewood, New Jersey
The Webster Hotel, 40 West 45th Street, New York Added to National Register of Historic Places, 1984

January 31, 1922 New York Times article

Col. Evarts Tracy Dying

New York Architect is in the American Hospital, Paris

Plaifield, NJ. – Jan. 30 - Lieut. Col. Evarts Tracy of Plainfield, who was in charge of the camouflage for the American forces in France during the war and who has been critically i ll with heart complications in American Hospital, Paris for the last week, cannot recover, according to a cablegram which Mrs. Tracy received today.

Colonel Tracy is a member of the New York firm of Tracy, Swartout & Co. architects. After the war he remained in service and was stationed on Governors Island as an instructor. Later he went to France to confer with the Government about reconstruction work.

Evarts Tracy and Edgerton Swartwout

HISTORICAL NOTE
The George Washington Memorial Association was organized in 1898 for the purpose of establishing in Washington D.C. an educational institution for the "promotion of science and literature" as described by George Washington in his messages to Congress and in his will. Early attempts to establish a National University were unsuccessful and by early 1904 the GWMA entered into an agreement with Columbian University to build a marble monument to George Washington in the form of an administration building and cultural center for its new site at Constitution Avenue and 17th St., NW (now the site of the Pan American Union). Plans for building on the site fell through (though Columbian did rename itself GW University), and the association then joined with the Smithsonian to build a multipurpose structure on the mall that would serve as a memorial to George Washington.

In 1914 a competition was held and New York architects Evarts Tracy and Edgerton Swartwout were chosen. By the time the cornerstone was laid in 1921, the building was called the George Washington Victory Memorial Building to additionally honor WWI veterans. The structure included a military museum and archives. The concrete foundation and stairway were completed by 1924, and a fence was constructed around the site. For more than 10 years the GWMA, with the help of Secretary Walcott and then Abbot, attempted to raise funds to complete the building but failed. The foundation and monumental stairway were razed in 1937 for the construction of the National Gallery of Art.

Army Distinguished Service Medal for Evarts Tracy

Army Distinguished Service MedalSee more recipients of this award
Awarded for actions during the World War I
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Major (Corps of Engineers) Evarts Tracy, United States Army, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services to the Government of the United States, in a duty of great responsibility during World War I. As the pioneer Camouflage Officer in the United States Army, by his marked ability Major Tracy ably assisted in recruiting and organizing personnel for this important work and in preparing lists of equipment and necessary material for the carrying out of this enterprise. He served as Chief Instructor in Camouflaging at the Engineer School at Langres from its organization until August 1918. To him is due the success in developing a school courage and a field exhibit that disseminated important knowledge among a large number of the combat personnel of the American Expeditionary Forces.
General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 3 (1922)
Action Date: World War I
Service: Army
Rank: Major
Company: Chief Instructor in Camouflaging
Division: Engineer School, Langres

Skull and Bones, Evarts designs courtyard

The 1911 additions of towers in the rear created a small enclosed courtyard in the rear of the building, designed by Evarts Tracy and Edgerton Swartwout, Tracy and Swartwout, New York. Evarts was not a Bonesman, but his paternal grandmother Martha Sherman Evarts and maternal grandmother Mary Evarts were the sisters of William Maxwell Evarts (S&B 1837). Pinnell speculates whether the re-use of the Davis towers in 1911 was evidence suggesting that Davis did the original building; conversely, Austin was responsible for the architecturally similar brownstone Egyptian Revival gates, built 1845, of the Grove Street Cemetery, to the north of campus. Also discussed by Pinnell is the "tomb's" aesthetic place in relation to its neighbors, including the Yale University Art Gallery. New Hampshire landscape architects Saucier & Flynn designed the wrought-iron fence that currently surrounds a portion of the complex in the late 1990s.

New York City 2009 Landmark Preservation

Evarts Tracy and the Muhlenberg Operating Pavilion

Photo of Evarts Tracy Loggia in Plainfield home

New York Tribune May 23, 1909

The loggia

Evarts Tracy sculpture

From the Smithsonian Archives
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.jsp?q=plainfield&start=40

Catalogued Data:
Title:Evarts Tracy [sculpture] / (photographed by Louis H. Dreyer)
Artist: Hering, Henry 1874-1949
Photographer: Louis H. Dreyer
Subject: Tracy, Evarts
Type: Photograph
Date: 1874
1949
Topic: Portrait male–Profile
Portrait male–Knee length
Occupation–Art–Architect
Image number: SSC S0001263
Notes: On photo mount label: H. Hering. Portrait in bas-relief of Evarts Tracy, architect. Plainfield, N.J., Coll. Mrs. Evarts Tracy. Dreyer. Classification number: 282/H546/735. Accession: 48898
Data Source: Photograph Archives

November 14, 1895 New York Times

New York Times November 14, 1895
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0911FE355911738DDDAD0994D9415B8585F0D3

PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED

In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success The Booths.

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.

Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.

Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:

French Booth Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.

Florentine Booth Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.

Gypsy Booth Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.

Venetian Booth Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Havbiland, Mrs. Samuel Huntingont, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.

Japanese Booth Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.

Spanish Booth Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.

German Booth Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.

Stationery Booth Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.

Parisian Flower Stall Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.

Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams

December 11, 1903

Daily Princetonian, Volume 28, Number 140, 11 December 1903 – GLEE CLUB CONCERT In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

GLEE CLUB CONCERT

In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

The second concert of the Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs will be given in the Casino of Plainfield, N. J., to-night at 8.15 o'clock. The clubs will leave Princeton to-day at 1.21 p. m., and arrive at Elizabeth at 2.20. Leaving Elizabeth on the C. R. R. of N. J. at 2.35, they will reach Plainfield at 3.03. The men will be entertained at the homes of the Princeton alumni, and immediately after the concert adance will be given in honor of the clubs. On the return trip the men will leave Plainfield on Saturday at 9.40 a. m., reaching Elizabeth at 10.04, leave at 10.06, and arrive in Princeton at 11. The program of the concert follows: PART FIRST. 1. Old Nassau, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. A Rag Time Ball, J. H.Jennings Banjo Club. 3. 1904 Medley, Arranged by K. S. Clark Glee Club. 4. Selections from Babes in Toyland, Herbert Mandolin Club. 5. Fantasienstuck, Arranged Banjo Club. PART SECOND. 1. Step Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. Gondoliere, Nevin Mandolin Club. 3. The 1904 Rakion, Joseph Chapman Banjo Club. 4. Solo, Selected Mr. Truesdale. 5. Espanola Viva, Arranged Glee and Mandolin Clubs. 6. The White Crow, Paul Eno Banjo Club. PART THIRD. 1. Bedelia, Schwartz Mandolin and Banjo Clubs. 2. Selection, Arranged Glee Club. 3. Danse Caprice, Grieg Mandolin Club. 4. Triangle Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs. The patronesses are as follows : Mrs. Charles F. Abbott, Mrs. Frederick H. Andrews, Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, Mrs. John T. Baker, Mrs. Eliot T. Barrows, Mrs. James R. Blake, Mrs. Charles I. Brooks, Mrs Howard W. Beebe, Mrs. E. H. Booth, Mrs. P. W. Bakely, Mrs. P. T. Brown, Mrs. J. Hervey Buchanan, Mrs. J. Edgar Corlies, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Mrs. J. B. Dumont, Mrs. M. E. Egerton, Mrs. Chapman Fisk, Mrs. Howard Fleming, Mrs. Walter Gaston, Mrs. Wm. T. Gaugh, Mrs. John F. Harmon, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Mrs. Eugene H. Hatch, Mrs. W. E. Honeyman, Mrs. James Hayes, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Henry L. Hall, Mrs. Henry C. Irons, Mrs. D. C. Ivins, Mrs. William T. Kaufman, Mrs. William E. Lowe, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, Jr., Mrs. E. L. Mack, Mrs. George P. Mellick, Mrs. H. Raymond Munger, Mrs. William H. Murray, Mrs. Henry A. McGee, Mrs. Walter Mc- Gee, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Frank S. Martin, Mrs. Theodore W. Morris, Jr., Mrs. F. G. Meade, Mrs. Arthur J. Otterson, Mrs. D. W. Pond, Mrs. W. G. Peckham, Mrs. W. A. Pinto, Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, Mrs. David Rowland, Mrs. George S. Ring, Mrs. George T. Rogers, Mrs. Joseph M. Shellabarger, Mrs. Walter E. Stewart, Mrs. Lemuel W. Serrell, Mrs. Alfred F. H. Streuli, Mrs. Henry M. Stockton, Mrs. Joseph W. Sandford, Jr., Mrs. C. L. Sykes, Mrs. R. B. Strong, Mrs. George A. Strong, Mrs Duncan W. Taylor, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Lewis G. Timpson, Mrs. Mason Tyler, Mrs. Edward M. Van Buren, Mrs. George W. Van Boskerck, Mrs. A. Vandewater, Mrs. J. Vandewater, Mrs. William B. Wadsworth, Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. Lewis E. Waring, Mrs. Theodore D. Wilson, Mrs. E. Woltman, Mrs. John S. Zelie.

Plainfield Public Library

September 18, 2011
An 'endangered' historic hospital in Plainfield, circa 1940s.

Muhlenberg Hospital in Plainfield was incorporated as a response to a railroad accident. According to Plainfield Public Library archivist Sarah Hull, in 1876 "a railroad brakeman had fallen from a passing coal train and the surgeon treating him had to amputate his leg in the only facility available, a railroad freight shed. Soon, residents rallied for a city hospital to be built." The hospital, designed by the New York-based architectural firm of Tracy & Swartwout and completed in 1877, was named for a reverend who was a champion for finding care for the sick and poor. It is now part of JFK Hospital and used as a satellite health care center. In May, it was placed on Preservation New Jersey's "10 Most Endangered Historic Places List."

Photo ID: C20961 - Part of the Paul R. Collier Photograph Collection.

Did you know?
According to local Plainfield historian, Nancy Piwowar, "the historic 1903 core of the existing hospital complex is one of the earliest known extant complexes of buildings designed by the notable New York architectural firm of Tracy & Swartwout. The partners in the firm, Evarts Tracy and Egerton Swartwout, were both Yale graduates who met while working for architectural masters McKim, Mead & White. In 1900, the two formed their own firm. Evarts Tracy had strong ties to Plainfield, having moved there as a child. He built his own home in Plainfield on Hillside Avenue in 1901, from which he would have been able to watch progress at the Muhlenberg site when he was overseeing the construction of the original Muhlenberg Hospital buildings."

Evarts Tracy geneaology

http://books.google.com/books?id=papRAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=tracy+and+swartwout+plainfield+nj&source=bl&ots=8BQUVrdsi8&sig=EvaS24N2FOUEGKvTioddDebZ9Io&hl=en#v=onepage&q=tracy%20and%20swartwout%20plainfield%20nj&f=false

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. Evarts Tracy
1009 Hillside Avenue

1925 Meeting Minutes

May 13, 1925 Meeting Minutes

Tracy-Streuli

PLAINFIELD, N. J., June 28. Miss Caroline Frederica Streuli, daughter of H. Alfred Streuli of Hillside Avenue, a New-York silk manufacturer, was married at high noon to-day to Evarts Tracy, son of J. Evarts Tracy, a New-York lawyer, who lives in West Eighth Street here. The ceremony was witnessed by a large and fashionable gathering, which entirely filled the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Dr. William R. Richards officiated.

The bride wore a beautiful gown of white satin with old lace trimmings. Miss Kathryn Yates was the maid of honor. The bridesmaids were Miss Bessie Ginna, Miss Marion Dumont, Miss May Tracy, Miss Margaret Tracy of Plainfield, Miss Lillian Brooks of New-York, and Miss Sidney Wharton of Pittsburg. Percy A. Stewart was best man. The ushers were Lewis S. Haslan of New-York, Yale Kneeland of Brooklyn, Wallace D. Simmons of St. Louis, Henry M. Sage of Albany, and Alfred Streuli and Robert S. Tracy of Plainfield.

1973 Images from Barbara Tracy Sandford

January 26, 2014

1973 was an historic year for our nation. The Watergate scandal occupied most headlines and the stand-off between Nixon and his nemesis, Plainfield's own son, Archibald Cox, riveted not only Plainfield and the U.S., but the world.

Archibald Cox grew up at 1010 Rahway Road. "Archie's" mother was Plainfield Garden Club member Frances Perkins Cox '25.

In May 1973, Professor Cox (Harvard Law) was named special prosecutor to the Watergate scandal. It was he that demanded Nixon release the tapes and he refused Nixon's attempts at compromise. It was this tough stand that eventually led to Nixon's resignation.

Also in May 1973, the Washington Post, upon learning of Cox's appointment, was quick to announce that Archibald Cox was in no way related to Nixon's new son-in-law, Ed Cox. (Remember he and Tricia Nixon were married in the White House rose garden in 1971.) Hmm.

Well, the PGC suspects that there is some DNA that floats between the two men. At the very least, the Washington Post missed the familial relationships between the two "Cox" factions – and probably because they were known to one another through the female sides of the family, which is frequently ignored when tracing genealogy.

Nixon's son-in-law, Edward Ridley Crane Cox, was named for his great-grandmother, PGC member Annie Ridley Crane Finch '21 who lived in "Graystone" on Park Avenue and was a fellow PGC club member with Archibald's mother, Frances. Archibald had many relatives in the PGC (most notably the Perkins and Tracy families) so other than the PGC (and most likely Archibald) no man made the press at the time any wiser to their "circle of acquaintance" back in Plainfield.

Meanwhile Barbara Tracy Sandford began a new endeavor: Childrens Gardens. She solicited large corporations (Bell Labs, Sears) and received monies to start the gardens. Most notably, she started the Elmwood Garden Club, near the now famous Elmwood apartments in the West End. Local award-winning filmmaker Alrick Brown is working on a new film titled My Manz which is about growing up in the Elmwood Garden Projects of Plainfield.

To see what Elmwood looked like in '73 and other parts of the Queen City:

1973 Plainfield, New Jersey