Plainfield Garden Club

Member: McLellan, Mrs. Malcolm Nye (Mary Florence Sherwood) '22

1922 Address: 686 West 7th Street, Plainfield

1932 Directory*: handwritten under "Honorary Members"
* = This directory is not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.

1942 Directory: 350 Stelle Avenue
This list has the spelling of the last name as "McClellan"
In 1942, Mrs. Malcolm McClellan is listed as an "Honorary Member"

686 West Seventh Street

Plainfield Library Photo File

G-703 1934 Y Grimstead House at 686 West Seventh Street 686 West 7th Street House with truncated hip roof and three-window dormer, center entrance under shallow portico.

1946 Check Book

No. 613
Oct. 14, 1946
Harriette R. Halloway
Horticulture Comm.
Iris - Budget

No. 614
Nov. 13, 1946
Harriette R. Halloway
Iris Budget

No. 615
Nov. 13, 1946
American Red Cross
flowers for Kilmer
through April 1st 7.00
Bedside flowers for November 10.00

In margin:

Gift (Mrs. McLellan 5.00)
Mrs. Anderegg
for war services

1950 Check Book

No. 817
Feb. 10, 1950
Interstate Printing Corp.
Letterhead 3.75
Correspond. Sec. cars 37.00

No. 818
Mar. 10, 1950
Anne Marie Seybold
Royalty for script 5.00
8 scripts @.11 3.28

No. 819
Mar. 10, 1950
Jane Pratt
Flowers for Lyons

In left margin:

Feb. Donation from (Reserve Fund)
Mrs. McLellan 10.00

The Sherwood Family

Betty Chimicles's mother, Florence Sherwood, married Malcolm Nye McLellan and united the Sherwood and McLellan families. Florence wrote that she was a descendent of Thomas Sherwood who came to America in 1740 on the boat "Frances and Mary". The boat landed in Massachusetts with Thomas, his wife and four children.

Florence also wrote that her "family came of Dutch and Huguenot extraction on Munson side – settled in New Haven I believe and lived in New York for years. Sherwood's side English and Irish."

The following is a family tree of the Sherwood family:

X. Thomas Sherwood (came to America in 1740)

1. Silas Francis Sherwood (1824-1889) - married Mary Maria Curran

2. Sassacus Clinton Sherwood (1852-1926) - married Henrietta Munson

3. Mary Florence Sherwood (1877-1957) - married Malcolm McLellan

4. Elizabeth McLellan (1907-1987) - married George Chimicles

Another overview of the Sherwood family tree shows all of the descendants as of the time Betty wrote her family tree. Betty's family tree only went up to mom's generation. Generations 6 and 7 probably exist now for several branches.

* 1. Silas Francis Sherwood - married Mary Curran

2. Martha - married John King

3. Jessie King - never married

3. William (Willie) King - married

3. Albert King

2. Lucetta - married Herbert Vermiligea?

3. Sadie Vermiligea - married Frank Kernan

4. Edith Kernan- married Audrey Booth

5. Audrey Booth

* 2. Sassacus (1852-1926) - married Henrietta Munson

* 3. Florence (1877-1957) - married Malcolm McLellan
* 4. Elizabeth McLellan (1907-1987) - married George Chimicles

3. Viola Sherwood - married Henry Clinton Hurt

4. Marjorie Hurt - married Edwin Ricker

5. Nancy Ricker

5. Barbara Ricker

5. Mary Jane Ricker

4. Ruth Sherwood- married Arnold Thompson (died in WWII)

5. Jimmy Thompson - younger than

3. Henrietta Sherwood - married Lawrence Tilson (no children)

3. Lucetta Sherwood - married George Barnes

4. Sherwood Barnes - married

5. Jeffrey

4. Virginia Barnes - married Jos. Dempsey

4. John Barnes - married

5. child1

5. child2

5. child3

5. child4

1. Silas Francis Sherwood

Silas Francis Sherwood was a descendant of Thomas Sherwood. He was born on October 17, 1824, and died December 19, 1889. Silas married Mary Maria Curran on September 20, 1847, and she was born on November 1, 1832(?) and died in 1910. Mary was the daughter of Philip Curran. All of their children were born in New York City. Betty wrote that Mary might have had a brother named Philip who was a carriage maker in Stanford, Connecticut.

Silas and Mary had three children named:

Lucetta Sherwood (Dec 29, 1848 - )

* Sassacus Clinton Sherwood (July 11, 1852 – April or Nov 16, 1926) - married Henrietta Munson

Martha Sherwood (Feb 24, 1860 - )

In a letter by Aunt Viola (Florence's sister) she answers some questions that Betty Chimicles had about Mary Curran. Betty was living at 215 West 98th Street in New York City. Viola appears to be correct that her grandma was married at the age of 14 but it may be that her grandfather was 8 years older and not 20 years older than Mary as she states:

Dear Betty,

The answer to your question about the Curran family, some of them did migrate from Ireland and there were some who were from England. Grandma Sherwood told me that she was the only girl in her family, the rest were boys and there were nine of them. Some were killed in the War of 1812 and others she lost track of as she was the youngest. There is one branch of her family living in either Bridgeport or Stanford. Sadie knows all about them and if you want me to, I will write and ask her to tell me all she knows about them. Grandma told me she lived with one of her brothers, but his wife didn't care for the responsibility and married Grandma at the age of 14 to Grandpa who was twenty years older.

In the House of Commons in England there is a Lord Curran and I wonder whether there was any connection. I haven't heard any more from those lawyers so decided they haven't located all the people they wanted. They said I would hear from them again. Would you like to go down and question them and see how much they have found out? It looks as though we come from a lost race. Wish I could help you more.

With love and hoping to see you soon as ever,

Aunt Viola

It is shown on a family tree that Betty made that Martha married John King and had children named William, Jessie and Albert. Jessie never married.

Lucetta married Herbert Vermiligea(?) and had a child named Sadie or Sodie. Sadie married Frank Kernan and had a child named Edith. Edith married Audrey Booth and also had a child named Audrey.

2. Sassacus Clinton Sherwood

Betty Chimicles' grandfather, Sassacus Clinton Sherwood, was born on July 11, 1852, and died in April of 1926 at the age of 74. His daughter and Betty's mother, Florence, wrote that Sassacus is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, East Part 6338, Lake View Plot.

I saw a note at mom's house probably in 1991 that has not yet been photocopied. The note stated that the name Sassacus was an Indian name and may have been the name of a powerful Indian Chief. Mom says that she heard that Sassacus's mother, Mary, was sitting near the Hudson River, perhaps when she was pregnant with Sassacus, and saw the boat called the "Sassacus" pass her. She liked the name and decided to name her son that.

Sassacus married Henrietta Munson on June 29, 1876, when he was 23 and she was 19. They had four daughters named Florence, Lucetta, Henrietta and Viola.

Sassacus owned his own granite company called "S. Clinton Sherwood Co." His company supplied pink and gray granite to buildings and monuments. In a June 4, 1900 or 1910 company memo logo, it stated that "monuments and mausoleums our specialty". The company was originally at 542 Fifth Avenue (corner of 15th(?) street) but later moved to the St. James Building at 1133 Broadway. The company was a successor to Casey & Sherwood Westerly Granite Company. Mom thinks that Sassacus may have also gone bankrupt like the McLellans during the Great Depression.

Betty wrote on March 3, 1987, that Sassacus was manager of an estate of a friend named Mr. Dexter. A nephew of Mr. Dexter later contested that agreement. She wrote:

Mr. Dexter liked my grandfather, S.C. Sherwood, so much, he appointed Grandpa manager of his estate. He was worth a million, a lot years ago. He had a son who was murdered in Lake Placid. He had a daughter who was harmlessly insane. I remember the chauffeur would come every morning to take Grandpa to the Dexter office and I went along when I went to secretarial school. Miss Dexter and her nurse had a daily ride too. The nurse always held her hands because she wanted to pat me.

Mr. Dexter made a will leaving his fortune to Grandpa, but a nephew, who never paid any attention to Mr. D., fought the will. His lawyer found one word (??) to break the will. Judge said clear intent was Grandpa but he refused to fight for it, so nephew got all the money!!

In a letter that Sassacus wrote, he talks about this incident. He stated that he always wanted two other people appointed as executors (one may have been the nephew?). He said that he would talk to Mr. Dexter as soon as his doctor thought he was strong enough to consider business matters.

Florence wrote the following about Sassacus and his membership in the Masonic Home:

A?? Chapter Mariners Lodge – New York City. He was master Palestine Commander[?]. The Masonic orders my father belonged to. F.McL. Keep this – if you had no home you might get into Masonic Home through my father Sassacus Clinton Sherwood.

Sassacus and Henrietta Sherwood had four children who were named:

* Florence Sherwood (June 10, 1877 - June 8, 1957) - married Malcolm McLellan
Lucetta Sherwood

Henrietta Sherwood

Viola Sherwood

The following letter was written to Florence McLellan by her father, Sassacus Sherwood:

419 West 114 Street
New York July 26, 1923

Dear Florie:

Have had a hard time with friend asthma for more than week, had to take inoculation 10 o'clock last night, it is great for spasms but it takes 24 or more hours to get back to feeling normal, it gave me good night sleep (only up once at 3 o'clock a.m.) for less than ˝ hour, then back to bed sleeping until 7:30 this morning, I hope to be feeling stronger and better tomorrow, I think for an old fellow I do very well, or am I conceited?

Nice for you to want us at Champlain and I would love to go and share expenses with you for a month or more, to be with you and children but I guess we will have to cut it out, Tell Bryce I love that beautiful handkerchief he selected, that it is now in outside pocket of my coat showing all of it I can, so glad he had even brief experience with ocean and sand, I always did believe the place for you and children was around the sand and water towns as you lie inland 8 months a year. I wish Nettie could go to some nice place where she could not hear or see me for a month and that I could go to some quiet place. She is out tonight to the movies with Blanchard they have gone to the "Capitol" to see "3 wise fools". – I received the paper from Mr. Hugh McLellan about their selling "Lincoln Collection" please tell him I think it was a grand thing for them to do to sell it just that way, a chance like that does not often come along to keep intact such a large collection, as it is now placed it is a perpetual and splendid memorial to their father, my eye tells me I must stop. I hope you will have a good summer and that the children will stop having all kinds of diseases.

I hope you will let us hear from you as often as possible, with love to all


Another letter written by Sassacus states:

421 West 114 Street
New York August 28, 1923

Dear Florie:

I have put off from day to day writing to you on account of my condition, I try to go down town every morning when I get home about 1:30. I seem to be unable to do any thing for balance of day except to sleep, the asthma trouble hangs on but I find the spasms are not so severe. We have had a wonderful summer here, cool and comfortable. A very few hot days and nights, I do not recall any bad thunder storms. I think you home at Plainfield as pleasant as any place you could go to.

Lucetta is having a hard time, she is discouraged, the one thing she should do, she keeps putting off and I fear she will continue to do until debt will take every dollar she has in the world. I have said all I can in the matter, she will continued give that "sot"[?] another chance until it is too late to salvage a dollar from the wreck. She talked with us today over telephone, she seems to be more said and discouraged than usual, she said today she would like to go out to your house for a week she of course [ ?? ] that would be impossible while you are away – I have just finished a 15 minutes talk with Lucetta, the same old story. I am very glad to know you and children are well and hope Betty will not have any more sickness.

When do you expect to return to Plainfield? What about the horse who takes care of him?

Viola and family coming over to dinner tomorrow there are having fine time with their car. Harry does not want to drive it over until he has had more experience with it. Hope all will gain in health, strength and weight with love



Mary Florence (Sherwood) McLellan

Mary Florence Sherwood was born on June 10, 1877, in New York City at 3?? East 20th Street [Florence didn't know the exact address]. She would later be called "Florence". She died at the age of 79 on June 8, 1957, which was only two days before her 80th birthday. She died in Plainfield, New Jersey.

Florence's mother, Henrietta Munson, died on October 18, 1892, at the age of 36 after having a tonsil operation that may not have been done properly. Florence was 15 at the time of her mother's death.
Since Florence was the oldest of four children in her family, she had to quit school and take care of her father and younger sisters. She had to become a very capable person at a young age. At this time, she had only an eighth grade education.

Florence liked to read and was a nice looking person who kept herself well groomed. She was also quite tall and was even taller than Malcolm. She was well liked by a lot of people, especially when she was helping Betty during the Second World War.

Florence and Malcolm McLellan were friends when they were young and knew each other in Sunday school. They were always together and got along very well. One day, a friend said, "you know, you two should get married". Malcolm said that was a good idea. They were married on November 18, 1905, when they were both 28 years old.

Betty wrote the following about Florence and Malcolm's wedding:

When mother and dad (M.F.S. and M.N.McL.) got to the church, the famous organist was practicing. When he later realized it was a wedding, he played the wedding march. Cleaning women were mopping the floors. Bonne Mama, my grandmother (E. McL.) [Elizabeth Matilda Nye] fell into a pail of water. When they went to the minister's study, he said "What is this, a wedding or a funeral!" He went to an insane asylum a few months later. Aunt Viola (mother's sister) and Uncle (Fred) (Aunt Daisy's husband) signed as witnesses. Net refused to go to the wedding. She was dad's "girlfriend" before mother and I always suspected she was in love with him. over [mom never photocopied the other side of Betty's paper].

Florence and Malcolm had two children named:

* Elizabeth "Betty" McLellan (Jan 7, 1907 - Nov 8, 1987) - married George Chimicles

Bryce McLellan (Oct 25, 1918 - Feb 11, 1935) - died young

Florence McLellan wrote the following letter to her mother-in-law Lizzie McLellan. The letter was written after 1907 and around the time Charles and Lizzie McLellan moved to the Pliny Moore house in Champlain.

Dear Mrs. McLellan

Betty and I are looking forward to a visit to Champlain before the winter is over. We want to see you all and the new house which I hear is getting more wonderful each day – and we want a real sleigh ride. We have never had one, they cost money down here! We are enjoying the first real snow of the winter, Malcolm & Betty and I have been working over a snow toboggin slide this afternoon. –

By the way, would you mind looking in that wonderful recipe book of yours and ask Mr. McLellan to copy the "Indian Pudding " recipe you gave us one time – I have lost mine. We are living a very quite sort of life – to bed early & up early. I spend most of my time trotting back & forth to school! darning[?] & sewing! Nothing very thrilling about that. I rarely get to New York. – I am crazy to start gardening again. Wish you could have seen my flowers last year. We put in a lot of [ ?? ] tulip bulbs fall, & I planted sworndrops[?] in the grass. I would like to buy a lot of flowering shrubs, I think they are so satisfactory and you don't have to weed them! I want a grape arbor, because I have learned to make grape jelly – and I think we ought to have an apple tree. That is merely the list of things I want but whether we get them or not is another story. [ ?? ] the world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings! Malcolm is going to make another trip to Champlain soon – with love to you all – Kindest regards to Miss Elliott.

Yours Sincerely


Sassacus wrote the following letter to Florence. It appeared that Malcolm wanted to get out of his brokerage business and move to Champlain:

Sunday afternoon

310 WEST 97th STREET
Sunday, Jan 17, 1915

Dear Florie:

I have received your letter and indeed glad to hear from you direct. I wish I could write you an interesting letter in reply, but chat is impossible, as the peculiar trouble with my eyes makes writing a serious matter for me.

I judge you like Champlain very much and that it agrees with you, or I am sure you would not want Malcolm to give up his business here and locate and go into some business up there. I of course, do not know the place and in no position to say if your decision is a good one, or for best interest for your future &c.

This "Wartimes" seems to hit the McLellan family so hard that I would suggest a sober second thought in relation to Malcolm giving up his business in which he has had experience and special training, to go into a business of any kind, as a Wall Street man is not usually an all around business man. If the idea is for him to become a gentleman farmer he should have an assured income. Of course, I cannot go into details on this subject as Malcolm does not discuss it with me. I consider it, however, a very serious matter, I dislike a drone and think it is almost a curse to kill ambition in a man for purely selfish reasons. We enjoy Malcolm's visit here very much indeed he seems to feel and act more encouraged over prospects, I think however it would be awfully nice if he received a few letters from Champlain that would cheer him along in this fight. I have had considerable experience in the ups and downs of a business life and can see how absurd it would be for Malcolm to attempt to get his money out of his business at short notice. If he should walk out and leave the matter to be adjusted and should lose all, or even the greater part of it no doubt the family would consider it their duty to remind him all during remainder of his life that he had lost a considerable portion of their wealth.

I hope you are improving in health and will not worry over money matters. I am sure it will all come right in a little while. I think you said some time that you expected ....we will be glad indeed to see you. Malcolm & I bought cotton last night had man send it Parcel Post, can I do anything for you?

I have been over one hour writing this – Nettie & Lucetta recovering slowly from a cold, me too. Viola telephones she & new baby doing nicely – Glad to know Betty enjoys skates. My kind regards to Mr. McLellan, my love to you and & Betty. We enjoy our Victrola very much. Malcolm is Music Master and we keep him busy.



I am told the better way is to write a letter get everything "off your chest" in it then put it on mantle over night and destroy it next morning, but I guess I'll mail this now.

Around March 1915, Florence may have been severely stressed with life. Her father, Sassacus, wrote her about this:

310 WEST 97th STREET
March 11/15.

Dear Florie:

I am very anxious about your condition of health &c, more so as Malcolm does not hear from you. If you cannot write – I am sure you can get some one to do so for you. I told Dr. Graner today you wrote your pulse was 120 – he said that did not mean any danger, that yours was a case of "neurasthenia" or nerves and you should fight against it and have more cheerful surroundings &c he said. You should have stayed down here until April or May – Pack up and come down again. If you will pardon the language why be the goat? I do not like to mix in family matters but your health is somewhat my concern and I must tell you it is a strain on me thinking of you almost alone, so far away. Malcolm is awfully worried over it and showed it plainly in talking about you. His business is now at a very interesting stage. He should have encouragment and not worry. I firmly believe they will pull out much to the good but all hands should help. I have suggested that he make a trip to Champlain this week if he does do come down with him for a few more weeks. You did not get the things you wanted. Come down and get them. I will gladly help out.

I am sure Mr. McL. will be all right for a few weeks – Dr. Phillips, Malcolm & Nettie have gone to "Movie" at 81St. My eyes are very painful I must give movies up entirely. Sorry cannot write more – with love and sincere hope will see you very soon

affcty – Papa

Love to Betty – wish we had room here so I could invite Mr. McL down. Kindest regards to him.


In 1922, Florence was struck by a car. Mom believes that Florence was pregnant at the time and lost the baby. This may have been when Betty lived with Florence for a winter or two in Champlain as a child. A Western Union Telegram for Hugh dated November, 1922, at 8:59 p.m. states:

Florence in accident. Condition not serious. Was struck by automobile and is in the hospital.


1929 Catherine Webster Home

Around 1929, Florence worked in a hospital and was a manager at the Catherine Webster Home for old ladies. When she left to take care of Miss Jessie Munger, an old lady who lived in Plainfield, her sister, Aunt Net, became manager of the home. Miss Munger was what was called a spinster. That is a person who never married. She was very rich and liked to help young girls through school. [We have pictures of a bird bath in Miss Munger's garden].

Florence wrote a note on a small envelope given to her by the staff of the Muhlenberg Hospital. The staff wrote "A nice token of appreciation and friendship – We'll miss you. The Staff, Muhlenberg Hospital." The staff gave Florence a traveling clock.

When I lost my home (49 years old) I had to take a position – I was on the Woman's Auxillery Board of the Hospital – they needed a "House Mother" in nurses home. I took that position for 2 ˝ yrs. – my children lived with Aunt Nettie, my sister. How I missed them.

NOTE: Miss Jessie Munger was a Plainfield Garden Club Member


Florence wrote a letter to Malcolm probably in the 1930s. It stresses her desire to move to Champlain to live with Malcolm and the family. However, the prospect of getting a good paying job in the 1930s in Champlain was small. Florence may have felt trapped in her job in the nursing home. The letter was written on Florence's own stationary:





Dear Malcolm,

I wrote Hugh about my plan of giving up here, but when he sent me a letter about signing deed, he never mentioned my coming to Champ. – I wrote Woodie about same thing, and said if I didn't make a stab at home life I'd never have it and asked him what he thought of my going to Champ. No word from him! If they don't want me why don't they say so, and Why. As things are, I feel if I went there, that I was butting in. I asked Hugh if there was any chance of your ever making $25 per week, we could squeek along on that in C[hamplain] – by ourselves – you would honestly think I was no part of the family at all – after my best years have gone by, to be chucked out seems mighty unfair. – Is Hugh in a very tight place financially? I don't want to stay here after June 15 – I am completely out of sympathy with the place – and one can't do good work that way – I'd rather live with the family & take a job at Walter Doolittles! – 48 years of domesticity have unfitted me for institutional life. – How is Bryce? Do shampoo his hair, rub it good, do it just before supper some eve – & it will be dry before bed time. What's Dot's Paris address?

Much love,



Another letter was written to Malcolm in Champlain by Florence who was still living in Plainfield. The postmark on the envelope stated ‘Plainfield, N.J. Sep 30 9–AM 1946'. Florence talked about trying to gain residence in Clinton County so she could later live in a nursing home in Plattsburgh.

Monday A.M.

Dear Malcolm,

Its 8:20 a.m. I have finished my breakfast & made out the menus – Miss Munger has gone to the hospital to see a maid who is to be operated upon this a.m. She has been with J.M. 30 years.

When I told you I couldn't understand Hugh's not writing to me, it was because in May I wrote him and told him I had saved $5000 and realized I would be 70 yrs old in another year – That I was tired and wondered whether he could consider taking me in for $5.00 per week for 3 years long enough to establish a residence in Clinton Co – so that I could enter old Ladies Home in Plattsburg – (require 3 years residence in county). I told him I "didn't mind' how dirty cottage was if I could keep my own corner clean" – I asked him not to say any thing about it to any one until we had decided about it. – As I did not know exactly what cost would be to get in home I could not offer to give him more until I did – but that I would give him more money if I had anything left, – after arrangements were made. –

I asked for an answer when he could write that was 3 months ago, and not a word have I heard from him. – I am really tired. –

I wouldn't mind tackling such things in my own home – I told B. I would get room in Hotel. She called yesterday & said she wouldn't have it – Then the operator cut her off because she didn't put in another nickel – she has no phone – try & arrange things that way.

I am glad you had that nice trip – I do think Hugh could have written me something, even if it was to say it wasn't possible. Champlain seems so peaceful.



Note written after 1935

A note was found written by Florence. She may have been interested in astrology since she wrote "Libra, Cancer, Aries and Capricorn" down on a piece of paper. She also outlined major events of her life under the heading of Uranus. This is a good summary of her life. It had to have been written after 1935. Note that a telegram shows Florence to have been in a car accident in 1922 and not 1921.


1900-1907 – Best years of my life – I married & left my girlhood home.

1893 – My life so different as my mother died 2 months before the year began.

Every 7 years Uranus goes from one house to another

1935 – Uranus entered Tarus, my 8" house (of death). Bryce died.

1928 – Aries, following year I tool position in old ladies home.

1921 – motor accident – lost home.

1914 – Aquarius. World war, I had to go to Champlain to live for a while.

1907 – Capricorn – Betty was born, moved from Plainfield to N. Y.

June 8, 1957

Betty and mom were at Florence's house to give her a birthday party on June 8, 1957. This was a Saturday and was two days before her real birthday which would have been on Monday when mom was in school.

Betty had all of Florence's presents ready for the birthday party that Saturday afternoon. At lunch, however, Florence fell ill and went upstairs. Betty called a doctor. Florence died in her bed while mom was sitting next to her. She died two days before her 80th birthday.

Florence's obituary reads:

McLellan – M Florence, at 315 Stele Av., Plainfield, N.J. Saturday, June 8, 1957. Wife of Malcolm N. McLellan, mother of Mrs. George Chimicles and grandmother of Miss xx Chimicles, sister of Mrs. Lawrence Tilson, Mrs. Henry Hurt and Mrs. Lucetta S. MacGrath. Service at the Chapel of Crescent Av. Presbyterian Church, Plainfield, N.J. on Monday, June 10, at 2:30 p.m. Internment in Champlain, N.Y.

The obituary was taken from a newspaper clipping from the New York or New Jersey Tribune and was found in Hugh McLellan's diary on the page showing Saturday, June 8, 1957. Hugh also stated in his diary on that day that Betty called him at 3:00 p.m. to say that Florence had died of a heart attack. He told Malcolm who was taking a bath.

After Florence died, she was cremated. Malcolm and Woody drove down to New Jersey for the funeral. All of them, including Betty and mom, then drove back up to Champlain to bury Florence. Mr. Watson, an old family friend, gave a graveside service. Hugh wrote in his diary on Tuesday, June 11, 1957, that, "Wood, Malcolm, Betty and Effie arrive home [Champlain]." On Sunday, June 16, 1957, Hugh stated that, "Betty and Effrosyne leave for home at (afternoon?). We all go down to put her on train and say good-bye."

When Florence died, mom came up to Champlain for the funeral. This was the second time that she had ever been in Champlain. She would come up to Champlain in the summers more often now. The only time she had been there before was when she was three years old. Her father, George, had never been in Champlain.

Mom says that Florence was a very nice grandmother who helped support Betty and mom. She was a hard worker and worked until the day she died. Florence had said that she had always wanted to retire and get a cottage with Malcolm up in Champlain.

Florence's sisters

Lucetta (Sherwood) Barnes/MacGrath

Sister Lucetta had a number of problems and bad habits. She drank alcohol and also smoked. At the end of her life she was also going through a divorce. She was probably married twice because Betty had a family tree showing that she was married to George Barnes. In Florence's obituary, though, it was stated that she was married to someone named MacGrath.

One night while Lucetta was smoking in bed, it caught fire and she was severely burned. She died three days later after tottering between life and death.

Lucetta had several children from the marriage to George Barnes. She had a son named Sherwood (who may have had a son named Jeffrey) and also a daughter named Virginia who married someone named (Jos. Dempsy?). Lucetta also had a son named John who had four children. [taken from family tree that Betty probably made of Florence's side of the family]. The children at one time lived in Forest Hills, Long Island. They would sometimes call Florence.

Lucetta's children and grandchildren were:

Sherwood Geo. - married


Virginia - married Jos. Dempsy

John - has four children

3. Henrietta Sherwood

Another of Florence's sisters was named Henrietta and she was often called Aunt Net by mom. Aunt Net had also liked Malcolm and she probably dated him before he married her sister, Florence. Net was probably crushed when Florence married him because she never went to her wedding.

Henrietta was a major presence in the McLellan family. There are many photographs of her with Betty in Champlain and New Jersey. She probably took care of Betty a lot.

Henrietta took care of her father, Sassacus, who had asthma. It was said that whenever one of his daughters got married, he would have a bad asthma attack. When he died in 1926, Henrietta was probably in her mid-40s. She then married Lawrence Tilson but was not married long before Lawrence found out that he was chronically ill and shot himself in the head. This left Henrietta a widow with no children. Henrietta did around 1958, the same time as George Chimicles and a year after her sister Florence. The deaths of these three people later made Betty Chimicles and mother move up to Champlain in 1960.

Henrietta was also a very religious person. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church.

3. Viola Sherwood

Viola was another of Florence's sisters. She was little and the other sisters would sometimes make fun of her. She married Henry Clinton Hurt and lived in Westfield, New Jersey. They had two daughters named Marjorie and Ruth. Viola liked to knit when she was older.

Viola's daughter, Marjorie, married (Edwin L. Ricker?) and they had several children named Nancy, Barbara and Mary Jane [from Betty's family tree]. These children would be around mothers age and would therefore be her cousins.

Viola's other daughter, Ruth, married (Arnold?) Thompson. He had gone over to Europe during WWII on the same boat as mom's father, George Chimicles, but was later killed. This left Ruth a widow with a son named Jimmy. Jimmy was about a year younger than mother and is her cousin. At one time, Jimmy was living in Virginia and was a veterinarian.

Ruth was a dietitian who made good money. After her husband was killed, she had a boyfriend who appeared to want Ruth's money. The family tried to tell Ruth that this person was bad for her and that he just wanted her money.

One day, Betty went to Champlain to visit her dad. She left mother at home in New Jersey to take care of Aunt Net. Mom believes (although she is not sure) that she came home from school one day and found that Aunt Net had fallen. A neighbor had said that Aunt Net went to the hospital. Aunt Net later died there. Mother is not sure if Aunt Net was perhaps ill at that time.

Viola's children and grandchildren were:

Marjorie (Margorie?) Hurt - married Edwin Ricker

Nancy Ricker

Barbara Ricker

Mary Jane Ricker

Ruth Hurt - married Arnold Thompson

Jimmy Thompson

Plattsburgh Daily Press, Plattsburgh, N. Y. Saturday, August 3, 1940


Mrs. Henrietta Tilson and Mrs. Malcolm McLellan have returned to Plainfield, N.J., after spending three weeks at The Savoy.

Miss Betty McLellan, of New York, who has been spending her vacation at The Savoy, returned to her position Sunday night.

McClellan Family History

Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.


Transcribed by Coralynn Brown

The McLellan family originated in Kircudbrightshire, Scotland, before 1200, and possesses the barony of Kirkcudbright. A branch of the family settled in Ulster, Ireland, and many of them spell the name McClellan and McClelland. They are numerous at the present (1910) time in counties Antrim, Down, Armagh, Londonderry and Mooghan. One of the principal grantees of King James in Ulster was Sir Robert MacLellan, Laird Bombie, as he was called, who in 1633 was created Lord Kirkcudbright, and whose great castle stands to this day. He receivedf 2,000 acres in the precinct of Boylagh, county of Donegal. He took possession in the summer of 1610, but returned afterward to Scotland and sold to John Murray. He leased 3, 210 acres of the Haberdashers' Hall on the Londoners' Plantation, county Cavan; and a similar grant to the Clothworkers' Hall adjoining.
John McClellan was a Calvinistic minister established at Newton-Ards, county Down, in 1630. Edward McClelland was in Coleraine in 1653.
Three of the McLellan family settled in Maine among the first of the Scotch-Irish. James McLellan located at Saco, and his brother Hugh at Gorham. Hugh was son of Hugh McLellan, of the north of Ireland, and married a relative, Elizabeth, daughter of Cary McLellan. They were descendants of Sir Hugh McLelland, of Argyle, knighted in 1515, ancestor of Sir Robert, mentioned above.

(I) Bryce McLellan, cousin of Hugh and James, was born in Ulster, Ireland. He settled first in Wells, Maine, where several of his children were born and baptized. He removed to Cape Elizabeth, and about 1730 to Falmouth (now Portland). He had a grant of fifty scres from the proprietors of Wells, July 12, 1720. He and his wife, Jane, sold this land Dec. 12, 1728, to Malachi Edwards (York Deeds, XIII-27). He was a weaver by trade, but followed farming chiefly after coming to this country. He lived on Fore street, near the foot of High street, and his house is still standing (1910). He died in 1776.
He married (first) Jane ____; (second) at Falmouth, Sept. 10, 1741, Elizabeth Miller, and had a large family of children by each (p. 820, Hist. Portland).
Children of first wife:
1. John (?), had child baptized in Falmouth in 1731.
2. Alexander, born 1718, mentioned below.
3. Joseph, born about 1728, died, aged eighty-seven; married Mary McLellan, daughter of Hugh, of Gorham.
4. Susanna, baptized at Falmouth, March 9, 1731.
Children of second wife:
5. Child, born Aug. 20, 1732.
6. James, 1734.
7. William, born 1735, died 1815, aged seventy-nine years; shipmaster; grandfather of Mayor Jacob McLellan, of Portland.
8. Rachel, born 1738.
And others.

(II) Alexander McLellan, son of Bryce McLellan, was born in the north of Ireland in 1718, and came at the age of two years with his father to Maine. He was lieutenant of the 34th regiment in 1763 (Reg. 1863, p. 30). He died about 1783.
He married, Aug. 20, 1743, at Falmouth, Ann Ross. He resided at Cape Elizabeth.
Among his numerous children were:
Samuel, born 1747.
(Captain) Arthur, born about 1753.
(Captain) George, mentioned below.

(III) Captain George McLellan, son of Alexander McLellan, was born in Falmouth, now Portland, Sept. 23, 1768. He followed the sea and rose to the rank of master mariner. He was lost at sea in the sloop "William," which foundered in April, 1823. A monument in the graveyard at Beverly, Mass. gives hsi age as fifty-four.
He married, July 26, 1795, Martha Woodberry (see Woodberry), born at Beverly, Jan.18, 1773; died Aug. 14, 1844, aged seventy-one years, six months, twenty-five days (also given Aug. 29, aged seventy-two, in another record).
1. Elizabeth, born at Beverly, Jan. 14, 1799; died Sept. 23, 1822.
2. Martha, born March 11, 1800, at Beverly; died Oct. 15, 1806.
3. Hannah Woodberry, born April 15, 1802.
4. George Woodberry, at Portland, Maine, Jan. 13, 1804; died May 6, 1807.
5. Charles Woodberry, born at Portland, Maine, March 22, 1807, mentioned below.
6. George, born Jan. 28, 1809.
7. Thirza Smith, born at Portland, Nov. 10, 1811.
8. Nancy Appleton, born at Portland, Oct. 28, 1813.

(IV) Charles Woodberry McLellan, son of Captain George McLellan, was born at Portland, Maine, March 22, 1807, and died at Beverly, July 26, 1884. He was for many years an officer in the Boston custom house, and was active in politics.
He married, in 1833, Mary Wallis, born at Beverly, May 9, 1809, died in Boston March 29, 1875, daughter of Bartholomew and Fanny (Foster) Wallis.
Children, born at Beverly:
1. George Montgomery, Dec. 26, 1834; died Dec. 11, 1902.
2. Charles Woodberry, Nov. 25, 1836; mentioned below.
3. Mary Eliza, April 16, 1844; died Oct. 30, 1896; married William Naysen.

(V) Charles Woodberry Jr., son of Charles Woodberry McLellan, was born at Beverly, Mass. Nov. 25, 1836. He attended the public schools of his native place. At the age of eight years his father moved to Boston, and he completed his education there in the English high school.
In 1853 he began his business career with Emerson, Cochrane & Co., wholesale shoe and leather merchants of Boston. He remained there until May, 1856, when he accepted a position in a store in Springfield, Illinois. Later he became a bookkeeper in N.H. Ridgely's private banking house in Springfield. He was one of the organizers of the Springfield Greys, a military company commanded by Captain John Cook, and later, having been perfected in the tactics of the French Zouaves by Colonel E.E. Ellsworth, became the Zouave Greys, and at the outbreak of the civil war formed a part of the famouth 7th Illinois. It is a reflection on the uncertainty of those days that in 1860 Mr. McLellan accepted a position with Richards, McGinnis & Co., wholesale grocers, of Mobile, Alabama. He there joined the Mobile Cadets, and served during the war in the 21st and 17th Alabama regiments. He went through the campaigns of Georgia and North Carolina under General Joseph E. Johnson.
Returning north in 1865, he engaged with Dean & McGinnis, cotton brokers and bankers, in New York City. From 1871 to 1879 he was a partner in the firm of A.M. Kidder & Co., bankers, and from 1879 to 1906 he was a member of the banking house of Boody, McLellan & Co. In 1906 Mr. McLellan retired from business and made his home in Champlain, in the house which had been his summer residence since 1883, and which was built in 1800 by Judge Pliny Moore, his wife's great-grandfather. Mr. McLellan, for some years, has been collecting books and manuscripts relating to the civil war, giving especial attention to those relating to Abraham Lincoln. His collection of Lincolnisna at Champlain is one of the largest in the country.
Mr. McLellan is a director of the First National Bank of Champlain, and a trustee of the Presbyerian church, of which he is an active member; trustee of Glenwood Cemetery, and presidnt of the board of education in Champlain. In politics he is a Repulblican.

He married, Dec. 27, 1870, in Champlain, Elizabeth M. Nye, daughter of Bartlett and Matilda (Moore) Nye. (See Nye family and Moore family).
1. Donald, born in New York City, May 31, 1873; died May 16, 1881.
2. Hugh, born at Bloomfield, New Jersey, Nov. 28, 1874; married Margaret A. Bowman, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, daughter of Rev. Dr. John Calvin and Amelia (Davis) Bowman; children: Dorothy, born in Paris, France, July 28, 1904; Charles Woodberry (2d), born Sept. 8, 1907. 3. Malcolm Nye, born at Bloomfield, Jan. 21, 1877; married Mary Florence Sherwood, of New York City, daughter of Sasscus Clinton and Henrietta (Munson) Sherwood; child: Elizabeth, born at Plainfield, New Jersey, Jan. 7, 1907.

Lincoln Fellowship Officers and Members 1908

President, Major William H. Lambert

Vice Presidents,
Gen. James Grant Wilson
Judge Daniel Fish
Charles W. McLellan
Joseph B. Oakleaf
Alonzo Rothschild
Col. Alexander K. McClure
Miss Ida Tarbell

Secretary, Francis D. Tandy

Treasurer, Judd Stewart

Hon. Danforth Ainsworth
H. E. Barker
Trumann H. Bartlett
David Homer Bates
Hon. Oswald A. Bauer
E. M. Bowman
A. M. Bullock
Rev. Henry S. Burrage
Maj. Charles Burrows
Rev. S. Parkes Cadman
Arthur Astor Carey


Cahrles Caverno
Hon. Grover Cleveland
Mrs. Maurice W. Cooley
Judge Leroy B. Crane
Telamon Cuyler
Fred DeFau
E. J. DesMoineaux
George Dunlop
Cleveland A. Dunn
Mrs. G. L. S. Dyche
Albert S. Edwards
George B. Fairhead
Orrin S. Goan
Rev. A. C. Grier
Gen. James H. Harris
William P. Hickok
Frederick Trevor Hill
Gen. Oliver Otis Howard
Stuart W. Jackson
Darwin R. James, Jr.
Edward S. Johnson
Rev. Jenkin Lloyd Jones
Perry D. Knapp
George A. Lancaster
Prof. Duncan Campbell Lee
Rev. George T. Lemmon
Hon. Robert T. Lincoln
John S. Little
C. H. Lyman
Hugh McLellan
Malcolm Nye McLellan . . .

Proceedings at the First Annual Meeting and Dinner of the Lincoln Fellowship held at Delmonico's, New York City, Wednesday, February 12th 1908

Northern New York Tombstone Transcription Project

Glenwood Cemetery
Champlain, Clinton County, New York

•This cemetery was transcribed by Hugh McLellan,ending on October 19, 1935.
•These records are part of what is known as the McLellan Cemetery Records. Beginning in 1933, Hugh McLellan, his son, Charles Woodbury "Woody" McLellan, and his daughter-in-law, Hulda (Bredenburg) McLellan traveled to various cemeteries throughout Clinton County copying the inscriptions from cemetery stones. Upon his death, these records were to have been donated to Cornell University. However, Dr. Allan Everest of SUNY Plattsburgh convinced the McLellan family to keep the records locally, and they were eventually donated to SUNY Plattsburgh. Complete sets of these records are also available at the Plattsburgh Public Library, the Clinton County Historian's office in Plattsburgh, and the Northern New York American-Canadian Genealogical Society in Keeseville, New York. Each Town Historian has a copy of their segment as well.
•TYPIST'S NOTE: The original document contains some biographical notations, too lengthy to include here. When omitted, a notation has been made.

McLELLAN, Lot E-56 & 57
Charles Woodberry McLELLAN / Born in Beverly, Mass. / November 25, 1836 / Died March 11, 1918 /
Elizabeth Matilda NYE / Wife of / Charles WOODBERRY McLELLAN / Born November 8, 1840 / Died October 19, 1914 /
Donald / Son of / Charles W. & Elizabeth M. / McLELLAN / Born in New York City / May 31, 1873. / Died in Syracuse / May 16, 1881. /
Headstone: C.W.McL. /
Headstone: E.M.McL. /
Headstone: Donald /

McLELLAN, Lot E-56 & 57
Bryce Sherwood / Son of / Malcolm N. & Florence S. / McLELLAN / Born Plainfield, N.J. / Oct. 25, 1918 / Died Feb. 11, 1935 /

McLELLAN, Lot E-56 & 57
(NOTE: granite stone - no inscription - Florence SHERWOOD, wife of Malcolm Nye McLELLAN)

McLELLAN, Lot E-56 & 57
(NOTE: granite stone - no inscription - Malcolm Nye McLELLAN)

McLELLAN, Lot E-56 & 57
NOTE: granite stone - no inscription - Hugh McLELLAN)

(NOTE: Malcolm and Hugh were sons of Charles W. McLELLAN, Jr.)

Champlain History

Several photographs of the McLellan family (including Malcolm)

Caption 1
The Nye family sits on their Locust Hill porch in this September 1898 photograph. From left to right are Charles, Laura, Grace, Elsie Nye and Malcolm McLellan. Laura Nye was the wife of Bartlett Nye, the builder of Locust Hill. In the 1930's the mansion was converted into the Savoy Hotel.

Caption 2
Members of the McLellan family (from left to right) Charles, Elizabeth, Hugh and Malcolm, pose on the steps of the Pliny Moore house in the summer of 1886. Built in 1801 by Pliny Moore, the house was later acquired by Charles McLellan around 1881. His wife Elizabeth was the great-granddaughter of Pliny Moore. The house shown here burned down in 1912 and was rebuilt to the same outside specifications as the original. In the mid-1930's, the McLellans leased the main house to the Clark Funeral Home and moved into the back "cottage." After Woody and Hulda McLellan died in the early 1980s, the house was bought by the funeral home. The Adirondack chair on the steps is now at the Clinton County Historical Association in Plattsburgh.

McLellan Collection of images at the University of New York at Plattsburgh

1950 Check Book

No. 850
Oct. 23, 1950
Margaret L. Morrell
change for tickets to
Open Houses to be put at
Plainfield Boat Shop

No. 851
Oct. 23, 1950
Alice J. Mooney
for change to be put
at houses for tickets
on Oct. 27

No. 852
Nov. 8, 1950
Union Instrument Corp.
Photo stats
Open Houses
Duplication in billing
check returned

In left margin:

Dec. 14 Forsythia buses 29.30
gift (Mrs. CClellan) 5.00

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. Malcolm McLellan
686 West Seventh Street

1925 Meeting Minutes

May 13, 1925 Meeting Minutes

313 Franklin Place

Pinterest Page by current owner