Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Rowland, Mrs. David Hall (Alice Story) '18

1919 Address: 511 West 7th Street, Plainfield

1922 Address: 511 West 7th Street, Plainfield

1932 Directory*: Not Listed
* = This directory is not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.

August 26, 1894 New York Times article

PLAINFIELD, CITY OF HOMES; ATTRACTIVE FEATURES OF THIS OLD NEW-JERSEY TOWN. Prominent New-York Business Men Who Live There – About 1,500 Commuters Travel Back and Forth Each Day – One of the Healthiest Places in the State – A Delightful Place to Live in Summer as Well as in Winter.

511 West 7th Street: Rowland residence; Architects Marsh & Gette

HOUSE OF MR. D. H. ROWLAND, PLAINFIELD, NJ. MESSRS. MARSH & GETTE, ARCHITECTS

A simplicity of treatment characterizes this house throughout. The outside walls are covered with wide clap-boards, the lower part of the shop-window bays on the front being made of Harvard brick. The floors of the entrance porch and veranda are of concrete. The interior finish is white enamel and mahogany doors with the exception of the living room, kitchen and servants' quarters. The living room is finished in chestnut stained green. The kitchen and servants rooms are finished in natural Georgia pine. The bathrooms have tile fllors and base, the flooring for balance of house being of oak. All the rooms have open fireplaces with wood mantels. The third story has a large billiard room, two servants' rooms and bathroom, with additional ample storage room. A feature is the pot closet in the kitchen, the walls of which are lined with sheet copper. The house is heated by means of hot-water system with indirect radiation for the first story.

1907 Architecture

511 West Seventh Avenue

Plainfield Public Library File

CN-2195 Undated Y Collier Cedar Brook Apartments 511 Seventh Apartment buildings at 511 West 7th Street in Plainfield. The mansion of David H. Rowland stood on the site until the apartments were built in 1927. Photo is circa 1950s. For "As It Is."

New York Time Marriage Announcement March 5, 1911

BOWNE - ROWLAND – On Saturday, March 4, 1911, at Grace Church, Camden, S.C., by the Rev. W. B. Gordon, Alice Ayres, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David H. Rowland of Plainfield, N.J., to Walter Bowne, Jr., of New York City.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F70E1EFE3F5517738DDDAC0894DB405B818DF1D3

December 11, 1903

Daily Princetonian, Volume 28, Number 140, 11 December 1903 – GLEE CLUB CONCERT In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

GLEE CLUB CONCERT

In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

The second concert of the Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs will be given in the Casino of Plainfield, N. J., to-night at 8.15 o'clock. The clubs will leave Princeton to-day at 1.21 p. m., and arrive at Elizabeth at 2.20. Leaving Elizabeth on the C. R. R. of N. J. at 2.35, they will reach Plainfield at 3.03. The men will be entertained at the homes of the Princeton alumni, and immediately after the concert adance will be given in honor of the clubs. On the return trip the men will leave Plainfield on Saturday at 9.40 a. m., reaching Elizabeth at 10.04, leave at 10.06, and arrive in Princeton at 11. The program of the concert follows: PART FIRST. 1. Old Nassau, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. A Rag Time Ball, J. H.Jennings Banjo Club. 3. 1904 Medley, Arranged by K. S. Clark Glee Club. 4. Selections from Babes in Toyland, Herbert Mandolin Club. 5. Fantasienstuck, Arranged Banjo Club. PART SECOND. 1. Step Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. Gondoliere, Nevin Mandolin Club. 3. The 1904 Rakion, Joseph Chapman Banjo Club. 4. Solo, Selected Mr. Truesdale. 5. Espanola Viva, Arranged Glee and Mandolin Clubs. 6. The White Crow, Paul Eno Banjo Club. PART THIRD. 1. Bedelia, Schwartz Mandolin and Banjo Clubs. 2. Selection, Arranged Glee Club. 3. Danse Caprice, Grieg Mandolin Club. 4. Triangle Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs. The patronesses are as follows : Mrs. Charles F. Abbott, Mrs. Frederick H. Andrews, Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, Mrs. John T. Baker, Mrs. Eliot T. Barrows, Mrs. James R. Blake, Mrs. Charles I. Brooks, Mrs Howard W. Beebe, Mrs. E. H. Booth, Mrs. P. W. Bakely, Mrs. P. T. Brown, Mrs. J. Hervey Buchanan, Mrs. J. Edgar Corlies, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Mrs. J. B. Dumont, Mrs. M. E. Egerton, Mrs. Chapman Fisk, Mrs. Howard Fleming, Mrs. Walter Gaston, Mrs. Wm. T. Gaugh, Mrs. John F. Harmon, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Mrs. Eugene H. Hatch, Mrs. W. E. Honeyman, Mrs. James Hayes, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Henry L. Hall, Mrs. Henry C. Irons, Mrs. D. C. Ivins, Mrs. William T. Kaufman, Mrs. William E. Lowe, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, Jr., Mrs. E. L. Mack, Mrs. George P. Mellick, Mrs. H. Raymond Munger, Mrs. William H. Murray, Mrs. Henry A. McGee, Mrs. Walter Mc- Gee, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Frank S. Martin, Mrs. Theodore W. Morris, Jr., Mrs. F. G. Meade, Mrs. Arthur J. Otterson, Mrs. D. W. Pond, Mrs. W. G. Peckham, Mrs. W. A. Pinto, Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, Mrs. David Rowland, Mrs. George S. Ring, Mrs. George T. Rogers, Mrs. Joseph M. Shellabarger, Mrs. Walter E. Stewart, Mrs. Lemuel W. Serrell, Mrs. Alfred F. H. Streuli, Mrs. Henry M. Stockton, Mrs. Joseph W. Sandford, Jr., Mrs. C. L. Sykes, Mrs. R. B. Strong, Mrs. George A. Strong, Mrs Duncan W. Taylor, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Lewis G. Timpson, Mrs. Mason Tyler, Mrs. Edward M. Van Buren, Mrs. George W. Van Boskerck, Mrs. A. Vandewater, Mrs. J. Vandewater, Mrs. William B. Wadsworth, Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. Lewis E. Waring, Mrs. Theodore D. Wilson, Mrs. E. Woltman, Mrs. John S. Zelie.

August 26, 1894 New York Times Article: Plainfield, City of Homes

Some of the others that do business in New York and have handsome homes here are . . .; David H. Rowland, a banker;

June 15, 1922 New York Times

MISS BOMANN WINS EASILY

Defeats Miss Stuart, 6 and 5, in Plainfield C.C. Golf Tourney

Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N.J., June 14 – The first round for the women's championship at the Plainfield Country Club today resulted as follows:

First Eight – Miss Kate Bomann defeated Miss Florence Stuart, 6 and 5; Mrs. C. D. Boice defeated Miss Bertha Tilney, 2 and 1; Mrs R. S. Rowland defeated Mrs. C. B. Lawrence, Jr., 4 and 3, Miss Zoe Terry defeated Mrs. W. H. Rogers, 2 and 1.
Second Eight – Mrs. L. W. Hallock won from Miss Louise Patterson by default; Miss Priscilla Fraker defeated Mrs. H. R. Moyer, 5 and 4; Mrs. W. M. Alling defeated Mrs. Frank C. Ward, 2 and 1; Miss Lillie Moore drew a bye.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0A15FC3E5D1A7A93C7A8178DD85F468285F9

DAR

1901 Directory of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution

1. Continental Chapter - Plainfield
Organized January 23, 1896; Members, 36 (New York, 2; Kentucky, 1)

Regent, Mrs. C. W. McCutchen
1st Vice-Regt., Mrs. Rowland Cox
2nd Vice-Regt., Miss Eliza E. Kenyon
Secretary, Mrs. J. Kirtland Myers
Treasurer, Mrs. J. G. Foster
Registrar, Mrs. D. H. Rowland

Residence of D. H. Rowland, 511 West Seventh Street

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.


publication circa 1917

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Miss Edith Rowland 511 West Seventh Street
Mrs. R. S. Rowland 444 Stelle Avenue

October 26, 1919 New York Times

MISS CARRERE WEDS REGINALD ROWLAND

Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Maxwell Carrere Married in St. James's Church

The marriage of Reginald Rowland, a son of Mrs. David E. Rowland of Plainfield, N.J., and Miss Beatrice Carrere, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Maxwell Carrere, took place at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon in St. James's Church, Madison Avenue and Seventy-first Street, the Rev. Dr. Frank Crowder officiating. The bride was attended by Miss Louise Cattus as maid of honor, and the bridesmaids included her cousins, the Misses Helen and Elizabeth Carrere, Susanne Field and Blanche Butler. Warren Ackerman was Mr. Rowland's best man, and the ushers were Story Rowland, a brother of the bridegroom; Robert M. Carrere, Edward Stevenson, and Roger Mellick

1909 Plainfield Directory

COX ARCHIBALD, lawyer, h 310 W 7th
Cox Charles D, driver, h 188 Grove, N. P.
Cox Chester W, machinist, h. 727 W 3d
Cox, Edward E, civil engineer, h. 967 Madison av
Cox, John*, ashman, h 318 Berckman
Cox Robert H., 310 W 7th
COX ROWLAND MRS. h 310 W 7th

1915 - 1923 List of Meetings

1918 Meeting Minutes

1919 Meeting Minutes

Alice Story Rowland

Society of Mayflower Descendants in the State of New York - 1922

Reginald Rowland

Society of Mayflower Descendants in the State of New York - 1922

Yale 1905

Rufus Story Rowland, Plainfield, NJ

Andrew Warde and his descendants, 1597-1910

Yale Class of 1906 Rufus Story Rowland

American Ornithologists' Union - 1899 The Auk

Mrs. Alice Story Rowland, Plainfield NJ

August 23, 1891 New York Times

SETTLED BY DRAWING

HOW REAL ESATE LEFT BY RUGUS STORY WAS DIVIDED

Bayonne, N. J., Aug. 22 – Commissioners appointed by the Court of Chancery have partitioned the real estate in this city which the late Rufus Story bequeathed to his four surviving children. it consists of 757 6-10 lots of the most valuable property in the city. With the exception of the Latourette House property, facing the Kill Von Kull, the property is in blocks and has not been built upon. The heirs were unable to agree upon a divison and joined the executors in petitioning the Court of Chancery to settle the difficulty.

Messrs. John Newman and Emmett Smith of this city, and William Muirhead of Jersey City, appraised the value of the Bayonne realty. They reported it as $352,642. Each lot had a separate valuation placed upon it. Representatives of the four heirs, and their clients, were present at the Chancery Chambers with the Commissioners. An impartial and satisfactory allotment was made by drawing.

The four children who are the heirs are Mrs. Mary E. Palmer, Mrs. Alice Rowland, Mrs. Abbie Marshall and Mrs. Emily L. Paret. All but Mrs. Rowland reside in New York. Mrs. Paret's share is left in trust. Mrs. Rufus Story received her share of the estate from other sources.

The value of the whole estate will probably exceed $6,000,000. The late Rufus Story will be remembered as the Front Street spice merchant who cornered the market and as the famous litigant who was the first property owners to compel the Manhattan Elevated Railroad Company to pay him damages for injuring his easements. Each heir's share of the Bayonne property is reported at $88,160. The partition made by these Commissioners has no reference to personal or other property out of Bayonne.

History of Bayonne

1890 - The Bayonne Hospital and Dispensary opened on East 30th Street; it was incorporated in 1888 by the Bayonne Hospital Association; the property was donated by the two youngest daughters, Alice Story Rowland and Abbey Story Marshall, of Rufus Story, a councilman from the First Ward of the new Bayonne City, who died on October 6, 1887; the daughters purchased three lots 75 x 100 feet adjoining the city-owned property desired by the Hospital Association to erect a building that became the Rufus Story Memorial Hospital

July 3, 1910 The New York Times

LATEST DEALINGS IN REALTY FIELD

The Story Estate Disposes of Two Front Street Parcels Famous in History

Steven B. Ayres and Walter F. Baylis have sold for the Story Estate to Mrs. Mary E. Wheeler the premises 7 and 9 Front Street, the purchaser giving in part payment an undivided interest in the La Tourette hotel property at Bayonne, N.J.

Each of these parcels has a romance for those interested in the history of New York real estate. The property 7 and 9 Front Street was occupied for many years by Rufus Story, who in the conduct of a wholesale flour business amassed a large fortune and became one of New York's foremost merchants.

When Cyrus Field constructed the Third Avenue elevated railroad Mr. Story believed that his property was injured and brought the first suit against the railway corporation, alleging injury to his easement of light and air. He employed as his attorney a young man who in the conduct of the suit gained a reputation which established him in a fine practice, and eventually landed him in the United State Senate from the State of New York.

He won Mr. Story's suit and established the principle for which he had contended. For this reason the Story heirs have always had a sentimental regard for this parcel and have refused to dispose of it, until a final settlement of the estate made the sale necessary.

The La Tourette house was for many years famous in Bayonne, and was erected on a parcel owned by Capt. Frederick La Tourette, a retired sea captain. In days gone by this hotel was the seat of the fashionable assemblies of the residents of Bergen Point and the surrounding country.

It has a fine frontage on the Kills, and lately the march of business has made its destruction necessary. It is expected that a large manufacturing plant will shortly be erected there, adding another to Bayonne's numerous industries.

Rufus Story

Posing in his wide collared jacket and cravat (or tie), Rufus looks thoughtfully at the camera, showing what the Bayonne Times called his "persistent and determined temperament." Ursula smiles sweetly under her dainty breakfast cup, a style married ladies wore throughout the nineteenth century. Horatio Alger could have used Rufus as one of the heroes in his "rags-to-riches" novels, for although Rufus began penniless, he accumulated over $6 million by the time of his death. He served as one of Bayonne's first councilmen, and even saved the City from bankruptcy by loaning it $75,000. Rufus started his climb at the age of fifteen, when he left his parents in Dutchess County, New York, to make his fortune in Manhattan. He began working as a clerk in a grocery store, saved his money, and bought the store just one year later. He soon shifted the business from selling groceries to trading in spices. In 1838, his spice trading business had grown so large that he bought a warehouse for it at 7 Front Street near Battery Park, where he ran the business for the next fifty years. According to one of his employees, he "paid close attention to business, and personally looked after every item on his books." Around 1845, he moved to Bayonne with his wife and two daughters. After the death of his first wife, he married Ursula, and they built a mansion on 1st Street where they raised their two daughters, Alice and Abby

Urusula Story

Alice Story Rowland b. 1858, photo c. 1880

Like other young ladies in the nineteenth century, Alice and Abby would not have been allowed to wear their hair "up," coiled in braids at the top of their heads as shown here, until their eighteenth birthdays. Both girls were popular members of Bayonne's fashionable society. When their parents gave Abby a party in June 1883, they hired the steamboat John Moore to take her one hundred guests up the East River to see the new Brooklyn Bridge. After a two-hour boat ride, the party returned to the Story mansion for dinner and dancing in what The Bayonne Herald described as their "large and brilliantly lighted parlors." Soon after their father Rufus died of a stroke in 1887, Alice and Abby decided to build a hospital as a memorial to him. Between illness in Bayonne's growing population and injuries from Bayonne's new industries the city desperately needed a hospital. With guidance from Solon Humphreys, Alice and Abby built a hospital on 30th Street, sill in operation today, and placed a plaque that read "In memory of Rufus Story" over a terra cotta and oak fireplace in the rear hall. Their mother helped them by spending $17,000 to completely furnish the building with goods such as iron beds, linen sheets, and feather pillow for the patients' rooms

Abby Augusta Story Marshall b. 1860 c. 1880

La Tourette Hotel, Bayonne NJ

Bird's eye view, c. 1860

This view from the roof of the center portion of the La Tourette Hotel looks east toward Brooklyn and Staten Island, which appear in the distance at the end of New York Bay. The flagpole in the foreground stands atop the eastern wing of the hotel. The building just behind the trees to the left of the flagpole is the La Tourette Stables on Broadway, where guests at the hotel could rent horses and carriages for a drive along the Kill. To the right of the flagpole, a cupola with scalloped trim tops Rufus Story's mansion, which appears on the far right of the lithograph of the next photo. Rufus built this mansion on the northeast corner of Broadway and 1st Street soon after he moved to Bayonne in 1845. He bought the hotel across the street from Captain La Tourette's heirs in 1883. Moving down 1st Street toward Brooklyn, the next building was the home of Albert M. (d. 1874) and Anne La Tourette Zabriskie. Albert's family, descendants of the last king of Poland, had settled at Bergen Point in the eighteenth century. After attending college, Albert became a farmer and married Captain La Tourette's daughter, Anne. By 1848, they had left his family's farm to manage her father's hotel. They moved into this home at the corner of Lord Avenue and 1st Street when Albert retired in 1855; Albert lived here when he became Bayonne's first county freeholder in 1860. Further down 1st Street past the Zabriskie's home appear L.L. and Martha Spring's mansion, Colonel Charles W. Fuller's mansion, the Vesey home, and the Smith home. This view of the Kill changed dramatically in 1865 when the Central Railroad Company built a 2,650-foot wharf, Port Johnston, on the Kill just east of 1st Street.

NOTE: Alice Story Rowland is a descendent of the Fuller family.
Also note that "Port Johnston" was named for Mr. Johnston who founded the Central Railroad Company and lived in Plainfield. His daughter, Mrs. Mali, was a member of the Plainfield Garden Club as the same time as Mrs. Rowland.

May 21, 1989 Abigail Story Marshall

Abigail Marshall Is Married
Published: May 21, 1989
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT

At the Brick Presbyterian Church in New York, Abigail Story Marshall, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph R. Marshall of New York and Stony Brook, L.I., was married yesterday to Landis Paik Zimmerman, a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Zimmerman of Bryn Mawr, Pa., and Harborside, Me. The Rev. Dr. Herbert B. Anderson performed the ceremony.

The bride was attended by her sisters, Amanda, Erika and Sarah Marshall. Robert Lloyd Peacock was the best man.

The bride is an associate at the New York law firm of Miller, Singer, Raives & Brandes and will keep her name. She attended the Brearley School and graduated from Milton Academy, Barnard College and the Boston University School of Law. Her mother, Jane Marshall, is the director of admissions at Brearley. Her father retired as the manager of communications operations at the International Business Machines Corporation in White Plains and is now an editorial consultant.

The bridegroom, an associate at J. P. Morgan & Company in New York, is a graduate of the Haverford School and the University of Pennsylvania, where he also received an M.B.A. degree from the Wharton School. His mother, Dr. Un-jin Zimmerman, is a research biochemist at the University of Pennsylvania. His father is a professor of chemistry at Bryn Mawr College.

Daughters of the American Revolution

Coffee house owned by Rufus Story, spice merchant mogul of the late 19th century.

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership