Plainfield Garden Club

Member: Lapsley, Miss Josephine H. '15

1919 Address: 114 Crescent Avenue, Plainfield

1922 Address: 114 Crescent Avenue, Plainfield

1929 Treasurer Book Active, April $5.00 (not listed in the 1928 Treasurer Book)
1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937 Treasurer Book Active

1932 Directory* Address: 114 Crescent Avenue
* = This directory is not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.

1938 - 1939 Treasurer Book: Miss Josephine H. Lapsley 1/31/38 Pd 3/16/39 Pd. Resigned Dec. 1939

JFK Medical Center Howard G. Lapsley Scholarship

Howard G. Lapsley
A resident of Plainfield, New
Jersey, Howard G. Lapsley was
dedicated to improving the quality
of life for all mankind. He was an
inventor, electrical engineer,
volunteer and member of the
adjunct Medical Staff of
Muhlenberg from 1957 to 1967.
He is most noted for inventing multiple
oxygenating devices for the fast care of mass
disaster victims.

As a memorial to her brother, Josephine Lapsley
provided for the establishment of the Howard G.
Lapsley Memorial Scholarship.

The Selection Process
Selection of Scholarship recipients is made by the
JFK – Muhlenberg Campus Board of Directors with
the program being administered by the Board,
which reviews applications, conducts personal
interviews with the most promising candidates if
necessary and makes final selections.
The scope of the scholarship is not limited to
tuition, but may also include (at the discretion of
the Board of Directors) such fees as those for
board, lodging, travel, meals, books and supplies
required pursuant to the core curriculum.

The goal of the fund is to assist eligible candidates
with financial requirements for the study of
medicine, osteopathy, or dentistry.

May 18, 1902 New York Times golf results at Plainfield Country Club

1953 History of Plainfield by Howard G. Lapsley

Plainfield Library Archives

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Plainfield Public Library Archive


Garden Club Plans For Flower Show

Plans were about completed for the flower show of the Plainfield Garden Club at a meeting yesterday in the home of the chairman. Mrs. Wallace Coriel, 963 Central Avenue. The show is to be held May 5 and 6 in the Assembly Room of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church.

Mrs. Richard Lawton, a prize winner in many horticultural exhibitions, is schedule chairman, and is spected to have schedules printed soon for distribution.

Fully two-thirds of the 50 classes scheduled are listed as "horticultural." The flower arrangment classes are in the minority. The schedule is planned to be of educational value to both experienced gardeners and beginners.

The committee includes Mrs. Corriell, chairman, Mrs. Dudley H. Barrows, secretary; Mrs. Harry Williams, treasurer; Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler and Mrs. William K. Dunbar, decoration and floor plan; Mrs. Henry L. DeForest, properties; Mrs. Henry Marshall, staging; Mrs. Lawton and Mrs. Henry C. Wells, schedule; Mrs. William S. Tyler, exhibits.

Also Miss Harriette R. Halloway, specimens; Miss Josephine Lapslety, entries; Mrs. Garret Smith, publicity; Mrs. Leslie R. Fort and Mrs. Edward H. Ladd Jr., judges, and Mrs. Clifford M. Baker, prizes.

Plainfield Public Library Archive

1915 - 1923 Book: Meetings of The Plainfield Garden Club

1915 - 1923 List of Meetings

1925 Meeting Minutes

April 8, 1925 Meeting Minutes

April 8, 1925 Meeting Minutes

May 13, 1925 Meeting Minutes

May 27, 1925 Meeting Minutes

June 10, 1925 Meeting Minutes

December 27, 1911 New York Times


William Patterson of Lincoln Found Near Plainfield with His Throat Cut


Met Heavy Fire Loss When His Store Burned – A Former President of Nebraska Bryan Club

Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N.J., Dec. 26. – William Patterson of Lincoln, Nebraska, a close personal friend of William Jennings Bryan, was found dead in the woods, near Smalley's Stone quarry on the northern outskirts of this city today. His throat was cut, and near his body lay a razor.

Mr. Patterson was 65 years old. He left the home of his daughter, Mrs. Leroy G. Gates of this city, whom he was visiting for the holidays, on Sunday morning to go to church. He failed to return, and Mrs. Gates notified the police, who sent out a general alarm to nearby cities, including New York.

Mrs. Gates told the police that her father had suffered a nervous breakdown two month ago. During the past year his hardware tore, one of the largest business house in Nebraska, was burned own, with a lost of $40,000. He worried a great deal about this, she said.

Howard G. Lapsley of Plainfield, found the body. He reported his discovery to the police, and they notified Mrs. Gates who sent word to her mother and two sisters at Lincoln. Mrs. Gates said that her father had been President of the Nebraska Bryan League and the Nebraska Traveling Men's Association. He was a veteran of the civil war and a member of the G.A. R.

The body will be taken to Lincoln for burial.

1936 - 1937 Meeting Minutes

1938-1939 Meeting Minutes

1920 Meeting Minutes

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Crescent Area Historic District

Post Office: Plainfiled
Zip: 07060

Hillside Avenue Historic District
Van Wyck Brooks Historic District

The Crescent Area Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Portions of the text below were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2013, The Gombach Group.

Prior to the arrival of the white man, the Lenni-Lenape Indians, part of the Algonquin Tribe, lived in this area of New Jersey. The Ice Age had endowed this area with a protective terrain, productive farmlands and forests and "wonderful pure air and springs." Indian trails became the highways and streets still in use in Plainfield today.Watchung Avenue located in the heart of the Crescent Area Historic District was once one of those trails. Remains of an Indian village and burial grounds have been found in the locality of First, Second and Third Place which are within the boundaries of the Crescent Avenue Historic District.

The first white settlers from Scotland and Holland arrived in the area in the 1680's. The first permanent settler was Thomas Gordon whose home was on Cedarbrook Road adjacent to Crescent Avenue, and whose land holdings covered most of what is present-day Plainfield. The enthusiastic letters back home detailing the healthful climate, plentiful game, fish and fowl, good soil and water brought other settlers to New Jersey, in spite of the "Flee by the salt marshes, most troublesome in the summer." These elements continued through the years to attract new residents.

During the Revolutionary War, patriots from area families served in militia regiments as foot soldiers and officers. An important battle, the Battle of the Short Hills, was fought in the area in June of 1777 and was instrumental in repelling the British in New Jersey. Some of the homes of those who supported the cause of the Revolution still exist today: The Drake House Museum, where Washington rested and briefed his officers, and the Vermule Homestead, where the officers were quartered.
Following the war, industry and transportation began to grow and take on added importance, contributing to the economic prosperity. Plainfield became officially recognized on April 1, 1800 with a population of 215. The Gordon Gazetteer in 1834 gave a glowing account of all the rich resources in Plainfield and noted that "the society is moral and religious."

It was in Plainfield in 1847 that the model for the public school system for the state was devised. Through the efforts of Dr. Charles H. Stillman, Plainfield physician, the New Jersey Legislature empowered the city to raise money by taxation in order to establish a public school system. An account of the day declares, "No one can measure the effect of this enlightened policy in extending the fame of the city and building up its prosperity." Many of the people who were active in education and cultural activities lived within the bounds of the Crescent Area Historic District.

The most influential force to the development of Plainfield was the railroad, which brought about a change in the social and economic character of the town. When a direct connection was made between Plainfield and New York City, c.1850, Plainfield became a commuter town.

During the Civil War, many local residents were involved in the fighting. General Sterling, a general on McCleland's staff, built his home and settled on First Place after the War.

Job Male, a philanthropist, who became known as "Plainfield's Grand Old Man", settled in Plainfield in 1867, following the Civil War. An inventor, he had simplified the loading of ferry slips with a patented leveling device. He purchased with Evan Jones, twenty four acres of land "in the suburbs and laid it out in village lots and streets and erected twenty substantial residences of fine architectural design, drawing the plans for them all himself." He was his own contractor and owned a greater part of the land that includes Crescent Avenue and Watchung Avenue. He designed a particularly distinctive style of architecture "stucco-walled, Mansard roofed, still standing today." He continued to build homes in different parts of the city until his possessions included more than one hundred Plainfield houses. His obituary notice in 1891 noted that "his purse always ready to respond to the calls of deserving charity." He was a public benefactor, making possible the Public Library and the Job Male Art Gallery, and donating the land for the hospital, the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Church.

A Central New Jersey Times account in 1870 of "Our Town Improvements" wrote, "The improvements in building is the expression of a spirit that leads to progressive movements in other directions. The old houses are not recognizable with tints of brown and cream and olive, their plain roofs metamorphosed by pediments, fancy gables and cornices, their primitive simplicity converted into modern beauty by wings, bay windows, recessed projections and every variety of architectural development." The writer further comments on the "new houses, with their aspiring towers, French roofs and cupolas." It was the kind of community that led the Elizabeth Herald in May of 1888 to write, "The bustling activity of the city of remarkable." And to conclude, "The next move in Plainfield, no doubt, will be the horse cars."
Plainfield had become a fashionable summer resort and eventually attracted many wealthy New York businessmen to settle here year 'round. The Gas Light Age evokes memories of Plainfield with theatricals, minstrel shows, roller rinks and other forms of entertainment. The site of many hotels, the Netherwood was reputed to be one of the "most healthful, comfortable and accessible inland summer resorts in the country."

By 1890, with substantial wealth and improvements, Plainfield continued to advance and prosper, attracting people of substance to live here. As successful businessmen and their families settled in the Crescent Avenue area, they became active in the cultural, religious, and educational affairs of the city. James W. Jackson, William D. Murray both served as presidents of the newly-formed YMCA. Henry C. Squires established the Hope Chapel on January 1, 1888 as a branch of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. Augustus Baldwin worked closely with Job Male in establishing the first free public library and the art gallery. In 1883 some of the first subscribers to "the last word in modern efficiency," the telephone, lived in the District: George Goddard, F.O. Herring, Leander Lovell, and the Dumond family. Many served as members of the Common Council.

After Job Male's death, Plainfield continued to be a highly desirable neighborhood and remained that way until the 1930's, when many of the large homes were converted to apartments. This process continues with single family residences almost non-existent today. The alterations for the most part are tastefully done and are not detrimental to the basic style and charm of the original building. This makes for a particularly fine collection of buildings appropriate to an Historic District.
Notes on Recollections of Long-time Residents of the Area
Longtime residents of Plainfield have been interviewed regarding their recollections of famous residents of this area. Those persons interviewed were Mrs. Lawrence Heely, Mrs. Henry Noss, Mrs. Dorothy Wills, Mrs. Helen Mygatt, Mr. John Harmon, Miss Gwen Cochran, Mrs. Dorothy DeHart, Miss Dorothy Leal, Mr. Alfred Genung, Mr. Alex Kroll, Mr. A.L.C. Marsh, Mrs. Hendrick Van Oss and others.

Many people have lived there who were outstanding in cultural fields, education and politics, as well as very successful professional and business men, active both locally and in New York City. Also educators and statesmen lived here.

John Carlson, a renown artist and member of the National Academy lived on 3rd Place as did Alex Seidel who achieved international fame for his designs for Steuben Glass. Another prominent artist who lived here was Thomas Hart Benton whose brother lived for many years on Crescent Avenue. Also William Gilbert, a well known illustrator, lived on Crescent Avenue.

The author of the White Cliffs of Dover, Alice Duer Miller, A. Van Dorn Honeyman, the famous historian, lived on 9th Street, and also Van Wyk Brooks another well-known author. Ernest Ackerman, a representative in U.S. Congress in the 1870's and his brother Marion Ackerman, who lived on Crescent Avenue, founded the Lone Star Cement Company and were deeply involved in many large national important financial and industrial enterprises.

The famous opera singer, Mario Caruso, married a Goddard and was frequently a visitor to Plainfield to the Goddard House at 213 East 9th Street. This family had a profound influence on the musical advancement of the entire area.

The area abounded in lawyers, judges and politicians, including four Mayors of Plainfield, and people in the foreign service for 25 years, such as Hendrick Van Oss, most recently served as ambassador to Madagascar and other countries.

The Crescent Avenue area was truly the heart of the town and boasted the most important and influential people of the period 1860 through 1920. The homes of these people reflect their taste, affluence and are a tangible piece of architectural history reflecting a glorious past.

The Crescent Area Historic District is a great deal more than a lot of old houses. It is probably one of the finest collections of Victorian architecture in the country. The term Victorian is all inclusive and embraces numerous styles that echo tastes and decorative devices of other periods of architecture from other countries and other times than the one in which the present buildings were constructed. The majority of these have what in architectural terms is referred to as Italianate which stems from the architectural styles popular in Italy going back as far as Byzantine derivative styles, and 15th century Venetian palaces. These variety of design styles result in the sudden surge of interest in European cultures and an attempt by the suddenly successful and new class of wealthy businessmen who were anxious to reflect their success in the work of finance in their homes. These interests were stimulated by their travels abroad and what they had seen, which was considered elegant. Thus we have Tuscan towers, Italian villas, Palazzo's with loggia and arcaded window and arches, Renaissance, Egyptian motifs, classical elements, and finally the exuberant eclectic styles throwing the more American traits of Carpenter Gothic and Stick style in for good measure. English architecture is also reflected with half timber, projecting gables, Eastlake influence, Queen Anne and Edwardian styles. The detail photos of these buildings reflect the painstaking craftsmanship of the builders and imaginative design abilities of the architects. It is truly a tangible record of the past which should be preserved as close to its original state as practical, in their new role of many being converted for multi-family use.

The Crescent Area Historic District is one of the finest collections of suburban Victorian architecture in New Jersey. Developed as a speculative real estate venture in the 1870's by Job Male, the buildings are an impressive presentation of Italianate and Second Empire style architecture of the mid to late 19th century. The houses were primarily designed for wealthy businessmen and, consequently, visages within the district still retain a fine elegance in their total ambiance of buildings and their association with landscaping, rustic streets, sidewalks, and trees.

Blumenson, John J.G. Identifying American Architecture
Central New Jersey Times, 1870-1885.
Clayton, W. Woodford. History of Union & Middlesex Counties, 1882.
Cochran, Jean Carter. The History of Crescent Avenue Church
The Courier News, History of Plainfield, 1964.
The Courier News, November 1-4-8, 1954.
Devlin, Harry. To Grandfather's House We Go.
Downey, Andrew Jackson. The Architecture of Country Houses.
The Drake House Museum & The Plainfield Public Library, Scrapbooks and Files.
Dunham, F.A. Atlas City of Plainfield and Boro of North Plainfield, 1894.
Fitzgerald & Co. (Pub.). Springfield, Massachusetts, Plainfield City Directory, 1876-7.
Gowans, Alan. Images of American Living.
Honeyman, A. Van Dorn. History of Union County, Volumes I, II, & III.
Lapsley, Howard G. History of Plainfield, 1942.
League of Women Voters. This is Plainfield, 1954.
McCabe, Wayne. Historic Tour – Plainfield, N.J.
Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce, Plainfield Area, N.J.
Pub. by Plainfield Courier News. Plainfield & Vicinity in Pictures, 1926.
Plainfield Daily Press, Friday & Saturday, January 30, 31, 1891.
Plainfield Evening News, Saturday, May 23, 1888.
Plainfield & North Plainfield City Directory, 1879-80.
Plainfield & North Plainfield City Directory, 1894-5.
Pratt, Dorothy & Richard, A Guide to Early American Homes.
Smiley, F.T. History of Plainfield, 1891.
† Charles H. Detwiller, Jr., A.I.A., Architect and Marilyn Rupp, Architectural Historian, Crescent Area Historic District, Union County, New Jersey, nomination document, 1979, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Application to the National Register of Historic Places

136 East 9th Street home is "similar to the Ebenezer Roberts House at 114 Crescent Avenue. it is a simple home that retains most of its original quality."

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Crescent Avenue Historic District form for the National Register of Historic Places

114 Crescent Avenue
c. 1870
Builder: Ebenezer Roberts
Designed and built by Ebenezer Roberts, who designed the first Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. In 1895 it was the home of Ernest Van Zandt, "clerk, N.Y."

Steep pitched roof with delicate cut work ornamentation in the gable peak and quatrefoils in the corners of the verge board. Slightly pointed windows in the dormer and gable.

Converted to three apartments.

The house was damaged by fire, but has been very well restored by the present owner. The selection of paint colors coordinate with the Victorian tradition and are extremely well chosen. As one of the few examples of the Carpenter Gothic architectural styles, this house is an important building to the District.

January 15, 2015

A reader of has sent us images of seven very old postcards that she has held in her possession for years. The age of the postcards range from 1928 to 1967. All were addressed to PGC founding member Miss Josephine Lapsley '15. She, her mother and brother all resided at 114 Crescent Avenue.

One of the cards is signed by Mrs. Leslie Runyon (Helen Osmun) Fort '22, PGC President 1930 - 1932, 1935 - 1936.

Another postcard, dated 1932, was signed with the initials "E.H.V." which was most likely Mrs. Stephen G. (Eva Lemira Hamilton) Van Hoesen '21.

Miss Josephine Lapsley postcards

1940 Census

First Name: Josephine H Last Name: Lapsley Estimated Birth Year: 1885 Age: 55 Place of Birth: New York State: New Jersey County: Union City: Plainfield Marital Status: Single Relationship to Head of Household: Sister Previous Residence – City: Same House Gender: Female Ethnicity: American Race: White

1920 Census

Josephine H. Lapsley
Born: ~1886 in New York
34 years old in the 1920 U.S. Census
Plainfield Ward 2, Union County, New Jersey
Relationship to Head: Daughter
Parent: Josephine H Lapsley
Sibling: Howard G

Died November 2, 1974

Probated Will

Name: Josephine H. Lapsley Date of Will: July 28, 1969 Date of Codicil of Will: June 18, 1971 Date of Death: November 2, 1974 Place of Death: Plainfield, New Jersey Will Probated: Union County, New Jersey Docket Number: Probate Will Number: R-18, page 872

Fourth Article of Will:
Bequest "all of my right, title and interest in the net estate of Howard G. Lapsley,…to THE FIDELITY BANK,… as Trusteein trust … to hold,manage, invest and reinvest the same and accumulated income in perpetuity, and to pay two-thirds of the net annual income in annual payments to and among THE RECTOR, WARDENS, AND VESTRYMEN OF GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH ,…, and to THE MUHLENBERG HOSPITAL,…in equal shares." Seventh Article of Will:…"I give, bequeath and appoint to THE FIDELITY BANK,,… as Trustee in trust…… to hold, manage, invest and reinvest the same …to pay each year all the net income therefrom to THE MUHLENBERG HOSPITAL,…in trust as a memorial to my brother Howard G. Lapsley and for the sole purpose of enabling THE MUHLENBERG HOSPITAL to provide annual scholarship aid to one or more needy candidates for degrees in medicine who reside in the City of Plainfield, New Jersey or adjacent areas served by that hospital. The selection of scholarship recipients shall be made by the Board of Governors of THE MUHLENBERG HOSPITAL pursuant to rules and procedures of selection to be formally adopted by that board and filed with The Fidelity Bank as Trustee.. …"

Codicil of Will: Three
: "Whereas in Articles Fourth and Seventh of my will I have named The Fidelity Bank as trustee of certain trusts there provided, I now revoke the designation of The Fidelity Bank as such trustee; and, in its place I now designate The United National Bank of Central Jersey
, … and [name of person/personal friend ], to receive, hold and administer the trusts provided under Articles Fourth and Seventh of my will for the benefit of The Rector, Wardens, And Vestrymen Of Grace Episcopal Church,…, and for the benefit of The Muhlenberg Hospital
,…as therein provided. I make this change mindful of the long association I have had with The Fidelity Bank, and for the purpose of providing administration of this trust in the community in which such trust beneficiaries are located."

Please note:

PNC Bank is now the designated trustee.

Ms. Lapsley was a victim of violent crime.

Ms. Lapsley is buried in Hillside Cemetery.

Muhlenberg Hospital was closed August 13, 2008

What is the current status of the Howard G. Lapsley Scholarship now that Muhlenberg Hospital is closed?

Ms.Lapsley was clear in her codicil that "administration of this trust in
the community in which such trust beneficiaries are located,
" which is Plainfield

Josephine H. Lapsley

Birth: Jun. 2, 1856
Death: Feb. 4, 1928

Family links:
Henry Lapsley (1829 - 1892)

Howard G Lapsley (1886 - 1969)*

*Calculated relationship

Hillside Cemetery
Scotch Plains
Union County
New Jersey, USA

Created by: Allison Stec Bell
Record added: Sep 06, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 76100363

Josephine H. Lapsley

Birth: Jun. 2, 1856
Death: Feb. 4, 1928

Family links:
Henry Lapsley (1829 - 1892)

Howard G Lapsley (1886 - 1969)*

*Calculated relationship

Hillside Cemetery
Scotch Plains
Union County
New Jersey, USA

Created by: Allison Stec Bell
Record added: Sep 06, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 76100363

Henry Lapsley

Birth: May 25, 1829
Death: Jan. 26, 1892

Family links:
Josephine H. Lapsley (1856 - 1928)*

Howard G Lapsley (1886 - 1969)*

*Calculated relationship

Hillside Cemetery
Scotch Plains
Union County
New Jersey, USA

Created by: Allison Stec Bell
Record added: Sep 06, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 76100266

Howard G. Lapsley

Birth: 1886
Death: 1969

Family links:
Henry Lapsley (1829 - 1892)
Josephine H. Lapsley (1856 - 1928)

Hillside Cemetery
Scotch Plains
Union County
New Jersey, USA

Created by: Dianne Delitto
Record added: Jul 20, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 114104006

Howard G. Lapsley's "History of Plainfield", 1942

Detwiller blueprints 114 Crescent Avenue

August 8, 2015

Library offers trove of vintage Plainfield home blueprints for sale

Plainfield homeowners and history buffs are getting a one-of-a-kind opportunity as the Plainfield Public Library prepares to offer upwards of 3,000 blueprint originals from its Detwiller Collection for sale to the public.

The blueprints offered for sale are part of a trove of many thousands recovered from a dumpster at City Hall by the late Plainfield architect and artist Charles Detwiller.

While many of Plainfield's grand homes and mansion are among the blueprints (though fewer than originally, owing to some 'fingering' before strict controls were put in place), the appeal of the collection will be stronger for those who live in or admire the more modest vintage homes from the turn of the 20th century to the World War II era.

These homes include many classic Tudors and other 'cottage' and 'revival' styles, as well as 'foursquares', ranches and Cape Cods and more contemporary stules.

These represent the bulk of Plainfield's building stock from its most expansive period and they were often enough improved or expanded – giving rise to the need for plans showing the original building and the proposed alterations to be filed with the City's inspections department.

It is those blueprints, which have now been cataloged and digitized, that are being offered for sale. In library parlance, they have been de-accessioned, meaning that they no longer need be kept permanently by the Library and are available for dispostion to private parties.

The Library has a portal to the Charles Detwiller Blueprint Collection on its website (see here) and has made a complete list of the blueprints for sale also available online (see here).

The list is alphabetized by street name, and then number. However, I would advise reading the Library's instructions closely so you make the proper notations for your request (see here) – easing the staff's task in finding the item(s) in which you are interested. Paying attention to the suggested time frames needed and numbers of items per request will help you avoid headaches. So, please read and follow the instructions carefully – as carpenters like to say, 'measure twice, cut once'.

The sale will run from September 1 to November 13, 2015 in a two-step process –

You check the offerings to find items that interest you, making careful notations; and

You and the Library work out a pick-up appointment, at which you will be able to view the actual items and make a final decision on your purchase.

Single-page blueprints are priced at $50 each and multiple-page sets at $100. Cash or credit cards are fine, but the Library will not accept personal checks.

Proceeds of the sale will be used to finance the further digitization of the blueprint collection – meaning that we can look forward to another offering of materials at some future point.

The Detwiller Collection is absolutely unique in its size and scope, covering decades of Plainfield history and thousands of buildings throughout the city. Plainfield residents owe Charlie Detwiller a debt of gratitude for his perspicacity that cannot be repaid.

And we owe a debt of gratitude to Library Director Joe Da Rold for the vision that saw in these rescued documents an invaluable resource for the community, and devised means and methods of ensuring these fragile records would be available to Plainfield residents permanently through having them digitized.

Mr. Detwiller is the late husband of PGC Honorary member Cath Detwiller. Mr. Detwiller's Aunt Laura was a long-time member of the PGC and a very talented botanical artist. Read about the Detwiller family here:

Detwiller, Mrs. Charles H. (Catherine or "Cath" Campbell), Jr. '57

Detwiller, Miss Laura Cecelia '29

And Mr. Detwiller's in-laws:

Campbell, Mrs. William Hall (Mabel C. Raper) '28

Davis, Mrs. F. Edgar (Dorothy or "Dottie" Campbell) '60