Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Fisk, Mrs. Chapman J. (Mary L.) '15

1919 Address: 112 West 7th Street, Plainfield

1922 Address: 112 West 7th Street, Plainfield

1928 Treasurer Book April 15th $5.00
1929 Treasurer Book Associate April $10.00
1930, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936 Treasurer Book Associate

1932 Directory* Address: 112 West Seventh Street
* = This directory is not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.
NOTE: Mrs. Chapman Fisk, 112 West Sventh Street is listed as an "Associate Member"

1937 Treasurer Book: Associate Mrs. Chapman Fisk Died Feb. 8

Founding Member

Sister-in-law to Mrs. Harvey Fisk '17

August 13, 1922 New York Times article on families summering in the Berkshires

Mrs. Chapman Fisk and Miss Dorothy Fisk staying at the Curtis Hotel in Lenox along with Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Frelinghuysen and Miss Frelinghuysen of Newark

August 26, 1894 New York Times article

Plainfield City of Homes

1920 Social Register

Listing Mary L. Chapman and Miss Dorothy Chapman

Reference

March 8, 1896 New York Times article on visitors to Lakewood, NJ

Included is a visit by Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Chapman of New York to Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Fisk of Plainfield, NJ staying at the Laurel House. Miss Chapman was with her parents and sang. Perhaps this was the meeting of Mr. Chapman Fisk's parents?

World War I efforts

CHAPTER XXX

VACATION ASSOCIATION, NEEDLEWORK GUILD
AND OTHER AGENCIES

Organization and growth of Vacation Association War Relief–Flotilla Committee and its wonderful work– Militia of Mercy–Needlework Guild of America– Committee for Men Blinded in Battle–Emergency Aid of Pennsylvania–Committee of Mercy and its contribution of over $2,000,000–Hudson River War Relief– League of the Allies-League of Catholic Women– Mercy Committee of New Jersey.

The story of the organization and growth of the Vacation Association, Incorporated (New York), is full of interest. Just twenty-seven days after the outbreak of the war the Vacation War Relief Committee of this organization was started. The Vacation Association is an integral part of the Woman's Department of the National Civic Federation, and its name is derived from its initial purpose, which was to enable self-supporting girls and women to save money for proper and healthful vacations. One of the most helpful branches of the work undertaken by the War Relief Committee was a free employment bureau for the benefit of those who had lost their positions because of war conditions. As it was found that many of these girls, who had previously earned good wages and were in no way charity cases, had been made practically destitute, it was decided to open temporary workrooms where a tide-over wage of seventy-five cents a day could be paid on garments made for the European emergency hospitals and war refugees. The War Relief Committee came into being in September, 1914, with Miss Gertrude Robinson Smith, chairman. Immediately a number of existing organizations cooperated. These included the Department of Correction, the Woman's Auxiliary to the Tuberculosis Clinic of the Department of Health, the Association of Catholic Charities, the Charity Organization Society, the State Charities Aid, the New York Association of Women Workers, and the Department Store Education Association. Results accomplished were remarkable. The Special Case Committee investigated all the destitute cases, and all those needing special relief or medical attention. During the first five weeks of its existence the Bureau registered 849 girls, of which number 188 were placed immediately.

In the first year's work of the Committee three principles were outlined as being the main object of the Committee: first, to meet here in America the very serious industrial situation resulting from the outbreak of the war; second, to further in every possible way the sending of the much needed supplies to the European war sufferers; third, to seek cooperation wherever possible with other organizations. So strikingly successful has been the work of this Committee that it has had the cordial cooperation of some of the most important organizations in America. These include the Association for Improving the condition of the Poor, the Federated Employment Bureau for Jewish Girls, the League of Catholic Women for Social and Civic Reform, the Mayor's Committee on Unemployment, the New York Association of Women Workers, the State Charities Aid Association, Women's Conference Society for Ethical Culture, Young Women's Christian Association, American Fund for French Wounded, and many other foreign relief societies.

Mrs. Coffin Van Rensselaer, as chairman of the Employment Bureau, has done excellent work. Two experiments were in progress in the fall of 1917. One has to do with vocational help to children at the point of leaving school, and the other is a health project for the benefit of wage earning girls. The latter is operated in connection with the Woman's Municipal League, a free clinic, the immediate object of which is to make examination and to suggest changes in habits, diet, kind of work, etc., when they are desired. Girls needing medical or surgical care are encouraged to go to the special physicians or dispensaries suitable to their needs. The achievements of the workroom committee have been equally notable. In fifteen months orders amounting to more than $126,000 passed through the order department, of which Miss Maude Wetmore, is chairman.

Of especial interest is the work of the Flotilla Committee organized in November, 1915, as the result of an urgent appeal sent by Mrs. Edith Wharton for surgical motors for the advanced trenches. These formations of flotillas, completely equipped, cost $12, 000 and consist of five cars each, one carrying a portable operating room with radioscopic apparatus requiring only two hours to set up; another a powerful electric lighting and heating installation; a third, a laundry capable of handling six hundred pounds of soiled linen at a time; the fourth, a drying van and the fifth, an installation for douches, disinfection, destruction of vermin, sterilizing of drinking water and shelter tanks.

The first contribution received was from Mrs. Daniel Guggenheim, who contributed $12,000, and the first Flotilla was sent to the Secours aux Blessés Miltiaires in December, 1915. This generous contribution greatly stimulated other donations, $32,437 being raised in a month.

Madame Emma Calvé offered to assist in organizing a French Flotilla Benefit at the Metropolitan Opera House. The benefit took place on January 4, 1916, and was an enormous success.

A Militia of Mercy organized in 1916 in New York City to care for the children afflicted by infantile paralysis has used its large and powerful organization in the most effective way for war work. Its first activity was the care of the families of the Navy Militiamen. The Comforts Committee sells wool at a little more than the wholesale price to the public. The profit is used to cover running expenses, and what remains is placed in the Special Fund, which is used to purchase wool for women who have the time to knit but who cannot afford to pay for the wool. An old lady in Brooklyn sent to the Militia of Mercy a scarf which had been knitted for her husband who was a sea captain. He died twenty years ago and she had cherished this scarf in his memory. Being very poor and wanting to do her bit she sent the scarf in the hope that it might help some man in the Navy.

The Militia of Mercy appreciated the spirit of the gift and sent it with an explanatory letter to the commander of an American battleship and the scarf was given to an American sailor.

Another organization which was doing beautiful work when war was declared and which turned the current of its effort to war relief is the Needlework Guild of America, a "Bridge from the Island of Waste to the Island of Want." This society has 400 branches scattered over the United States and its large membership includes 25,000 directors whose duty it is to collect and distribute new, plain suitable garments to meet the great need of hospitals, homes and other charities. During the flood and tornado devastations of 1912 and 1913 the Needlework Guild rendered a superb service as it has done in many other disasters since it was organized thirty-two years ago. Prior to the outbreak of the European War, a branch had been established in Lyons, France, which immediately upon the declaration of hostilities took up war relief work. Its first assistance was the clothing of Belgian refugees, and as the result of an appeal to the members in the United States, $20,000 was sent to France in December, 1914, with which workrooms were opened in Lyons. More than 300 women were given employment and 25,000 garments were distributed to the hospitals for the wounded. Nearly 1,000,000 garments and surgical dressings have been distributed in France and sent to her Allies by 173 branches of the Needlework Guild in America. This splendid organization was founded by Mrs. John Wood Stewart of Glen Ridge, New Jersey, and Mrs. Levi P. Morton,of New York City is honorary president.

The National office is in Philadelphia and the organization is affiliated with the American Red Cross and the General Federation of Women's Clubs and is a member of the National Conference of Charities and Correction and the National Council of Women of the United States. Mrs. Truman H. Newberry, of Detroit, Michigan, is national president, and the national vice presidents are Mrs. George Fales Baker, Bryn Mawr, Pa.; Mrs. Robert . Harding, Fort Wayne, Ind.; Mrs. Samuel Semple, Titusville Pa. and Miss Julia M. Wolbert, Tacoma, Wash. Mrs. Oliver S. Keely is recording secretary, Mrs. Heber Smith, treasurer and Miss Rosamond K. Bender, corresponding secretary. Mrs. John Wood Stewart is chairman of the War Relief Department, and other officers include Mrs. Joseph Guedy, secretary; Mrs. Oliver S. Keely, trustee and Mrs. W. A. Nichols, Wayne, Pa.; Mrs. Isaac Gimble, New York City; Mrs. William Spencer, Erie, Pa.; Mrs. H. J. Harris, Glen Ridge, New Jersey; Mrs. William T. Barber, Detroit, Mich. and Mrs. Hoffman Atkinson, New York City. The War Relief Office is at 70 Fifth Ave., New York City.

The Committee for Men Blinded in Battle was the outcome of the New York Association for the Blind, organized in 1906. Its headquarters are at Light House No. 1 in New York. The building was officially opened by the President of the United States and the work was conducted under the presidency of the late Honorable Joseph H. Choate. The Committee for Men Blinded in Battle was the first organization to be formed to aid the war blind. It has assisted in various ways, 3,000 men, including eight different nationalities, and instruction has been given to more than 300. More than 8,000 gifts have been made to the war blind, and these unfortunate men have been taught and aided in over 50 hospitals. A number of these pupils have already taken their places in the sighted world as competent wage earners. Among the professions taught in the light house are handicraft, languages, typewriting, stenography, commerce, music, modeling, etc. The Committee succors and relieves the blind whenever possible and gives re-education to such as are fitted to profit by its teaching. Mr. John H. Finley,acting president and the vice presidents are Miss Winifred Holt, William Howard Taft, Charles E. Hughes. The honorary chairman is the Bishop of New York, the secretary is Mrs. Peter Cooper Hewitt, the treasurer, Mr. William Forbes Morgan, Headquarters, 111 East 59th St., New York.

One of the most far-reaching organizations for war relief in the United States is the Emergency Aid of Pennsylvania, which, with 59 associate organizations and branches, 33 of which have been formed since March 1, 1917, comprises more than four thousand members. The central committee, of which Mrs. A. J. Cassatt, the chairman, has 26 separate committees, the work of each of which is distinct and which results in the carrying of relief to virtually all the Allied countries, meeting many and diverse needs and covering practically the entire gamut of war relief enterprise. The Emergency Aid is also engaged in valuable domestic activities. In all, a total of nearly $2,000,000 had been received The vice chairmen are Mrs. Edward Browning, Mrs. John C. Groome, Mrs. George Q. Horwitz, Mrs. J. Willis Martin, Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Mrs. E. T. Stotesbury,Mrs. Barclay H. Warburton, Mrs. Thomas Robins,secretary, Mrs. Edward K. Rowland, corresponding secretary and Mrs. J. Norman Jackson, treasurer. Headquarters, 1428 Walnut St., Philadelphia.

The Committee of Mercy was established in October, 1914, with the approval of President Wilson, to help the women and children and other noncombatants made destitute by the war. Associated in the Committees formation were Mrs. J. Borden Harriman, Miss Katharine B. Davis, Norman Hapgood, John Moffat and T. C. Glen-Coats, Mr. Elihu Root,honorary president, and the vice presidents include Dr. Charles W. Eliot,Harvard University, John Purroy Mitchel, ex-Mayor of New York, Miss Katharine B. Davis, chairman, Parole Commission of New York, and Mrs. J. Borden Harriman, Mr. August Belmont,treasurer. The Committee of Mercy, up to the summer of 1917, had collected more than $2,065,000. In addition to the relief administered through reliable agencies in France, Russia, Armenia, Serbia, Montenegro and Poland, considerable sums have been raised for other relief committees. Headquarters, 360 Madison Ave., New York City.

Immediately upon the declaration of war Mrs. H. Fairfield Osborn, organized the Hudson River War Relief Committee and sub-committees, and sewing and knitting socials were established in the small towns and villages along the Hudson River. Associated with Mrs. Osborn, are Mrs. Cornelius R. Agnew, Mrs.

Vincent Astor, Miss Grace Bigelow, Miss Catherine S. Burton, Mrs. Charles DeRahm, Miss Madeline I. Dinsmore, Mrs. Cleveland H. Dodge, Mrs. Martin H. Glynn, Mrs. Levi P. Morton, Miss Mary Haidane, Miss Irene M. Hedges, Miss Gertrude L. Hoyt, Mrs. Robert P. Huntington, Mrs. Ogden Mills, Mrs. Archibald Rogers, Mrs. James Roosevelt, Mrs. Samuel Sloan, Mrs. Clarence Page Townsley,Mrs. Frederick W. Vanderbilt, Headquarters, Room 65, 18 West 34th St., New York City.

The League of the Allies, 360 Madison Ave., New York City, has for its object relief for the sufferers in all the countries affiliated with the Entente in the prosecution of the war against the Central Empires. Money has been raised chiefly by the great Allied bazaars held in the Grand Central Palace in New York in 1916 and 1917. Among the prominent women identified with the work are Mrs. Charles B. Alexander, Mrs. Gertrude Atherton, Mrs. H. R. Beckwith, Mrs. William Astor Chanler, Lady Colebrooke, Mrs. William H. Crocker, Mrs. C. C. Cuyler, Miss M. L. de Sadeleer, Mrs. C. H. Ditson, Mrs. Newbold Leroy Edgar, Mrs. Jeanne L. Etty, Mrs. William Faversham, Mrs. Marshall Field, Jr., Mrs. Charles Dana Gibson, Mrs. Benjamin Guinness, Mrs. J. Borden Harriman, Mrs. Ernest Iselin, Lady Lister Kaye, Mrs. Maurice Kozminiski, Mrs. Charles H. Marshall, Miss Elsa Maxwell, Mrs. Walter E. Maynard, Miss Margaret Mayo, Mrs. Potter Palmer, Mrs. Gifford Pinchot, Mrs. Joseph Pulitzer, Mrs. James Lowell Putnam, Mrs. Ralph Sanger, Mrs. J. H. Sears, Mrs. William Payne Thompson, Mrs. H. J. Whigham,Mrs. Harry Payne Whitney, Mrs. Michael Gavin is secretary and Mrs. Andrew W. Dougherty is treasurer.

The League of Catholic Women is a New York State organization with branches in various cities. Miss Teresa R. O'Donohue,is president. Mrs. Nicholas F. Brady, Mrs. Alfred C. Chapin, Miss Elizabeth Marbury, and Mrs. Francis Burrall Hoffman are vice presidents. Mrs. P. J. Gallagher offered her residence, 154 East 38th Street, New York City, as headquarters for the League of Catholic Women for the duration of the war. The League cooperates with other Catholic organizations and supplies hospital garments and other articles made according to Red Cross and French standards. Twenty-seven organizations of Catholic women are uniting in one great powerful committee which is doing nation-wide war work along all lines. Headquarters, Woodward Bldg., Washington, D. C. Father Louis J. O'Hearn is General Chairman.

The Mercy Committee of New Jersey, since the war began, has sent abroad approximately 70,000 garments and more than $10,000. The junior branches have also made bandages and have sent a large number to Europe through the Red Cross Surgical Dressings Committee. The Committee's work is now largely devoted to the equipment and reconstruction of the military hospital located at Iselin. Mrs. Charles D. Freeman is president, Mrs. Fred H. Albee, Mrs. J. Kirtland Myers and Mrs. Jabez Gilbert are vice presidents and Mrs. Chapman Fiske is secretary. Headquarters Iselin.

In February, 1917, Columbia University mobilized and sent out enrollment blanks to all men and women connected in any way with the University. About eight thousand women answered and a separate Committee of Women's War Work was formed which opened its Information Bureau on April 6, 1917. This Committee registers for volunteer or paid war work, any woman who is or has been connected with the University. It supplies information as to course and needs in war activities. It furnishes volunteer workers and fills paid positions. It is in close touch with other War Organizations in the city and with various departments at Washington. Its headquarters are in Room 301, Philosophy Hall, Columbia University, New York City; chairman of the Committee on Women's War Work, Virginia C. Gildersleeve, executive secretary, Virginia Newcomb.

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Plainfield by John A. Grady and Dorothe M. Pollard

Built in 1850, Charles Fisk purchased and remodeled the house in 1890. For many years the house served as a social center for the Fisks' elaborate entertainments. As mayor, Fisk frequently had the police and fire departments do their annual drills and inspections on the front lawn of his Seventh Street mansion, which straddled the block between Arlington and Madison Avenues.

November 14, 1895 New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0911FE355911738DDDAD0994D9415B8585F0D3

PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED

In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital – Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success – The Booths.

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 – There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.

Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.

Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:

French Booth – Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.

Florentine Booth – Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.

Gypsy Booth – Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.

Venetian Booth – Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Havbiland, Mrs. Samuel Huntingont, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.

Japanese Booth – Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.

Spanish Booth – Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.

German Booth – Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.

Stationery Booth – Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.

Parisian Flower Stall – Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.

Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams

December 11, 1903

Daily Princetonian, Volume 28, Number 140, 11 December 1903 – GLEE CLUB CONCERT In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

GLEE CLUB CONCERT

In Plainfield To-night. Program and List of Patronesses.

The second concert of the Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs will be given in the Casino of Plainfield, N. J., to-night at 8.15 o'clock. The clubs will leave Princeton to-day at 1.21 p. m., and arrive at Elizabeth at 2.20. Leaving Elizabeth on the C. R. R. of N. J. at 2.35, they will reach Plainfield at 3.03. The men will be entertained at the homes of the Princeton alumni, and immediately after the concert adance will be given in honor of the clubs. On the return trip the men will leave Plainfield on Saturday at 9.40 a. m., reaching Elizabeth at 10.04, leave at 10.06, and arrive in Princeton at 11. The program of the concert follows: PART FIRST. 1. Old Nassau, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. A Rag Time Ball, J. H.Jennings Banjo Club. 3. 1904 Medley, Arranged by K. S. Clark Glee Club. 4. Selections from Babes in Toyland, Herbert Mandolin Club. 5. Fantasienstuck, Arranged Banjo Club. PART SECOND. 1. Step Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee Club. 2. Gondoliere, Nevin Mandolin Club. 3. The 1904 Rakion, Joseph Chapman Banjo Club. 4. Solo, Selected Mr. Truesdale. 5. Espanola Viva, Arranged Glee and Mandolin Clubs. 6. The White Crow, Paul Eno Banjo Club. PART THIRD. 1. Bedelia, Schwartz Mandolin and Banjo Clubs. 2. Selection, Arranged Glee Club. 3. Danse Caprice, Grieg Mandolin Club. 4. Triangle Song, Carmina Princetonia Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs. The patronesses are as follows : Mrs. Charles F. Abbott, Mrs. Frederick H. Andrews, Mrs. Ernest R. Ackerman, Mrs. John T. Baker, Mrs. Eliot T. Barrows, Mrs. James R. Blake, Mrs. Charles I. Brooks, Mrs Howard W. Beebe, Mrs. E. H. Booth, Mrs. P. W. Bakely, Mrs. P. T. Brown, Mrs. J. Hervey Buchanan, Mrs. J. Edgar Corlies, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Mrs. J. B. Dumont, Mrs. M. E. Egerton, Mrs. Chapman Fisk, Mrs. Howard Fleming, Mrs. Walter Gaston, Mrs. Wm. T. Gaugh, Mrs. John F. Harmon, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Mrs. Eugene H. Hatch, Mrs. W. E. Honeyman, Mrs. James Hayes, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Henry L. Hall, Mrs. Henry C. Irons, Mrs. D. C. Ivins, Mrs. William T. Kaufman, Mrs. William E. Lowe, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, Jr., Mrs. E. L. Mack, Mrs. George P. Mellick, Mrs. H. Raymond Munger, Mrs. William H. Murray, Mrs. Henry A. McGee, Mrs. Walter Mc- Gee, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Frank S. Martin, Mrs. Theodore W. Morris, Jr., Mrs. F. G. Meade, Mrs. Arthur J. Otterson, Mrs. D. W. Pond, Mrs. W. G. Peckham, Mrs. W. A. Pinto, Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, Mrs. David Rowland, Mrs. George S. Ring, Mrs. George T. Rogers, Mrs. Joseph M. Shellabarger, Mrs. Walter E. Stewart, Mrs. Lemuel W. Serrell, Mrs. Alfred F. H. Streuli, Mrs. Henry M. Stockton, Mrs. Joseph W. Sandford, Jr., Mrs. C. L. Sykes, Mrs. R. B. Strong, Mrs. George A. Strong, Mrs Duncan W. Taylor, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Lewis G. Timpson, Mrs. Mason Tyler, Mrs. Edward M. Van Buren, Mrs. George W. Van Boskerck, Mrs. A. Vandewater, Mrs. J. Vandewater, Mrs. William B. Wadsworth, Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. Lewis E. Waring, Mrs. Theodore D. Wilson, Mrs. E. Woltman, Mrs. John S. Zelie.

August 26, 1894 New York Times Article: Plainfield, City of Homes

Some of the others who do business here are . . . ; Charles Fisk, Pliny Fisk and Alexander Fisk of the banking firm of Harvey Fisk's Sons;

Residence of Mrs. Chapman Fisk, 112 West Seventh Street

In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.

The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.

With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.


publication circa 1917

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. G. A. Chapman
39 Foster Avenue

Relation?

Mrs. Chapman Fisk
112 West Seventh Street

Mrs. Harvey Fisk
1440 Prospect Avenue

Mrs. C. J. Fisk
211 West Seventh Street

Mary Chapman Fisk

•ID: I16079
•Name: MARY CHAPMAN
•Sex: F
•Birth: 6 MAR 1860 in Woodstock, Windsor County, Vermont
•Death: 3 FEB 1937
•Change Date: 7 FEB 2009
•Note:
2-10-1937 The New York Times

FISK - At Plainfield, New Jersey, On Monday, Feb. 8, 1937, MARY CHAPMANFISK, daughter of th e late GEORGE and EMILY WHITNEY CHAPMAN, and motherof EDITH FISK and DOROTHY FISK PAINE.
Interment: Woodstock, Vermont.
=====================================================
The New York Times May 19, 1959

EDITH WHITNEY FISK, of Paris, Biarritz, New York and Philadelphia, on May17, at Jefferson Hos pital, Philadelphia, Pa., daughter of the late PLINYand MARY LOUIS CHAPMAN FISK mother of GEO RGE FISK AMES of Philadelphia,sister of MRS. HUGH FRASER NOALL and MRS. THOMAS A. HALLERAN o f New YorkCity. PLINY FISK of Yorktown Heights, New York and WILBUR FISK ofRockport, Mass.
Funeral Services - EWING Presbyterian Church, Ewing, NJ
Interment: Ewing Church Cemetery, Princeton & Plainfield, NJ. N.J.papers please copy.

October 26, 1908 New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F70D14FB3B5A17738DDDAF0A94D8415B888CF1D3

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Oct. 25 – No arrests were made at the Plainfield Country Club today when the first trial at Sunday golf took place, and in fact there was no suspicion of interference of any sort. The clubhouse was open all afternoon, despite the protests of the local clerby, and about a score of the "liberals" played golf. Among the number were A. H. Atterbury and Hugh F. Fox, Councilman Henry D. Hibbard, S. D. Lounsbury, E. G. Willson, and Frank Reinhart, the crack golfer, all well-known citizens. In and about the clubhouse were a number of the women members as well as about two dozen men who did not care to go over the course.

The police made no arrests for Sunday baseball, and in fact no games were reported, although it had been announced that some would be held today in order to bring about arrests and thus have the legality of Sunday golf tested. Mayor C. J. Fisk, who voted for the amendment of the club allowing it to be open on Sundays, and who later announced that arrests would follow if any indulged in baseball within the city limits, was not a visitor at the clubhouse. In his statement explaining his vote the Mayor declares that he favored Sunday opening, but that the question of golf play was entirely a matter for the governors to decide.

At the fashionable Park Avenue Baptist Church tonight the Rev. Dr. A. E. Finn, the pastor, in denouncing the golf play today at the Plainfield Country Club, remarked concerning those who voted in favor of the innovation:

"Last Tuesday night 168 people by their vote to open the Plainfield Country Club for half a day on Sunday, put a stumbling block in the way of the moral and religious progress of the beautiful City of Plainfield. I wonder if these 168 refined, cultured, educated, influential people knew what God said in His holy Word about putting stumbling blocks in the way of their fellow men? That the influence of these 168 stumbling blocks is far reaching is evident by the fact that a petition in favor of Sunday baseball has now been sent to our Mayor.

"Just as truly as the retribution of God came upon the people in Isaiah's time for the desecration of His holy day, so we have every reason to believe that the people who are endeavoring to break one of the great institutions that God has given us for our moral and spiritual development will be called upon to account for it. But these 168 stumbling blocks have not only violated God's law, but upon this very day when they open their golf links violated a State law. And in proof of this assertion, I quote Corporation Counsel Craig A. Marsh, Vice President of the New Jersey Bar Association:

"We were very proud of our banker-Mayor, C. J. Fisk, President of the State Excise Commission, when he found that Atlantic City was openly violating the law and that he did not try to conceal it, but reported that fact to the Governor. But where is the consistency of Mayor Fisk to report to the Governor the violations of the law in other cities and at the same time to join with 168 people to openly violate the law in our own city?

"We call upon the citizens of Plainfield who have any regard for their homes, their city, their church, and their God to see that God's laws are observed, and that the State laws are enforced, and that this moral germ is destroyed in its incipient state."

Among the other pastors of fashionable churches who denounced the innovation from their pulpits today were the Rev. Dr. A. C. McCrea of the First M. E. Church and the Rev. Dr. Charles E. Herring of the First Presbyterian Church.

1915 - 1923 List of Meetings

1936 - 1937 Meeting Minutes

1918 Meeting Minutes

1918 Meeting Minutes

1919 Meeting Minutes

Charles Fisk Mansion on 7th Street, between Arlington & Madison Avenues

New York Times October 9, 1901

WEDDINGS OF A DAY
Waring - Fisk
Special to The New York Times

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Oct. 8. – The marriage of Miss Louise Green Fisk and Lewis Edmund Waring was celebrated yesterday. The wedding was the most brilliant society event that has taken place in this city this Fall. Invitations had been issued to more than 2,500 persons in this city, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Newport, Washington, and other various cities in this and adjacent States. Mrs. Waring is the eldest daughter of ex-Mayor and Mrs. Charles J. Fisk. Mr. Waring is a son of Mr. and Mrs. O. T. Waring. He is a member of the Hillside Golf Club of this city and also of the Baltusrol Golf Club.

The ceremony was performed at 8:30 o'clock in the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church by the pastor, the Rev. Dr. William R. Richards. A feature of the ceremony was the presence of a number of choir boys from Grace Protestant Episcopal Church, New York, who preceded the bridal party.

The ushers were Henry Lower, Laurens H. Van Buren, Richard S. Waring, Edward J. Waring, brothers of the bridegroom; Augustus R. Fisk of this city, Raymond Lefferts and Edward Sawyer of New York, Rutherford M. Shepard and J. Cheney Wells of Philadelphia. The flower girls were Miss Annie G. Fisk, sister of the bride, and Miss Eleanor Waring, sister of the bridegroom. The bridesmaids were Miss Margaretta Wood of Pittsburg, Penn.: Miss Esther Waterman of Southport, Conn.; Miss Helen Bushnell, Miss Helen Talmadge, Miss Florence Waring, a sister of the bridegroom; Miss Edith C. Fisk, a cousin of the bride, of this city, and Miss Evelyn Louise Fisk of Willburtha, N. J., aunt of the bride. Miss Fannie Cox of this city was maid of honor. The best man was Orville T. Waring, eldest brother of the bridegroom.

The bride wore a gown of chiffon with rose point lace and tulle veil. She carried a shower bouquet of white roses, orchids, and lilies of the valley.

After the ceremony an elaborate reception was held at the home of the bride's parents on West Seventh Street. Among the large number of presents received by the bride none attracted more attention than did the gift of Mrs. Richie, the bride's grandmother. It was linen worth $1,000, packed in an old German dower chest.

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

1920 Social Register

1901 Harper's Official Golf Guide