Plainfield Garden Club

Member: Wigton, Mrs. Charles Benson (Garrigues) '45

Childhood home was 980 Hillside Avenue, Plainfield
Father was William A. Garrigues

1920 - 1353 Watchung Avenue

1943 - 1945 Treasurer Book, Active: Mrs. C. Benson Wigton (no notation made for payments)

1945 - 1946 Treasurer Book, Active: Wigton, Mrs. C. B. 12/15/45 July 46 May 19, 1947 June 4, 1948 June 29, 1949 July 9, 1950 May 1951 May 1952

1958 Address: 721 Watchung Ave, Plainfield

1970 - 1975 Address: 721 Watchung Avenue, Plainfield
NOTE: Listed as a "Sustaining Member"

1975 NOTE:
Mrs. C. Benson Wigton was crossed off the membership list

Related to the following Plainfield Garden Club members:

Daughter Mrs. Frederick L. (Anne Wigton) Hall '68

Daughter-in-law Mrs. C. Benson Wigton (Dana), Jr. '59

Daughter-in-law Mrs. William Garrigues (Anne) Wigton '55

C. Benson Wigton, Mayor of Plainfield, elected 1932

Wigton, C. Benson – of Plainfield, Union County, N.J. Republican. Mayor of Plainfield, N.J.; elected 1932.

C. Benson Wigton Introduces Amelia Earhart

On March 25, 1933, Amelia Earhart Putnam was a guest lecturer at Plainfield High School. The proceeds from the lecture, which was sponsored by the Monday Afternoon Club, were turned over to the Plainfield Emergency Relief Organization. Plainfield Mayor C. Benson Wigton introduced Ameila Earhart Putnam to a crowd of 800, and he provided a police motorcycle escort upon her departure.

Drake House Museum

C. Benson Wigton arrived Ellis Island 1923

Ellis Island

Plainfield Library Photo Collection

C-21054 1927 Collier Construction on East Seventh Street Seventh View of construction on E. 7th Street near Park Ave. US Post Box is in the scene. Collier notes state, "Wigton-Abbott Corp. Engineers and Contractors." Photo is signed and dated, June 15, 1927.

'Giggleswick' by Marjorie Blackman Elliott 1989

PGC Member Marjorie Blackman Elliott traces the history of the Mellick family and in particular PGC founding member Mrs. George P. (Ella Hartley) Mellick '15 and her well known estate, 'Giggleswick'

page 7

"They built a bungalow that they enjoyed for a few years before their friend John B. Benson, artist and architect, changed it to a more formal house by adding a second story to the bungalow and extending the long living room with a high ceiling and leaded windows at the end."

Is this John B. Benson a relation of C. Benson Wigton?

December 14, 2011

Garrigues Wigton marker
Hillside cemetery

The Cornell Civil Engineer/Association of Civil Engineers 1920

Wigton, C Benson CE '09 AMASCE 1353 Watchung
Ave Vice Pres Levering & Garrigues Co [Plainfield NJ 552 W 23d St NYC

Princeton Alumni Weekly Dec. 9, 1992

William A. Garrigues Jr. '19
Published in Dec. 9, 1992, issue
WILLIAM ALFRED GARRIGUES JR., a Rangeley, Me., summer resident for over 90 years, was born Mar. 17, 1896, in Plainfield, N.J. He survived by a son, William Alfred 111; a daughter, Carolyn Garrigues Scofield; and two grandchildren, Curtis Gilbert Scofield and Elizabeth Scofield Devine.

William was the only son of William Alfred Garrigues and Elizabeth (Eliza) (Lillie) Maxwell. He attended Leal School, in Plainfield, and Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass. He left Princeton in Feb. 1918 to enlist in the Medical Corps, A.E.F., and he served in France for one year.

Bill went to work for his father at Leverling & Garrigues Steel Corp., a company of engineers, fabricators, and erectors of structural steel, used in a number of significant buildings in New York and New England in the 1920s. When his father died, Bill sold the company to Bethlehem Steel. Bill married the late Helen Burford Danner, of Indianapolis, in 1933. In his last years, Bill married Paule Barry, who attended him in his declining years in Princeton.

The Class extends its sympathy to his family,

The Class of 1919

1909 Plainfield City Directory

Garrigues Wm A, h 721 Watchung av

1930 Blue Book

Garrigues, Mr. William Alfred, 980 Hillside ave., Plainfield, N.J.
Mr. William Alfred Garrigues, Jr.

February 26, 1929 Obituary New York Times

GARRIGUES Lillie 24-Feb-1929 DN. Died at Savannah, GA. Spouse-William Garrigues. Funeral, Feb. 27, in Plainfield, N. J..

Anna G. Maxwell

Birth: Nov. 22, 1831
Philadelphia County
Pennsylvania, USA
Death: Dec. 30, 1912
Plainville (Somerset County)
Somerset County
New Jersey, USA

The Philadelphia Inquirer; Tuesday morning, December 31, 1912, Page 14:

"MAXWELL - At Plainfield, N.J. 30th inst., ANNA G., wife of the late Ebenezer Maxwell, aged 80. Services, residence of daughter, Mrs. William A. Garrigues, 721 Watchung ave., Plainfield, Thurs. 11 A. M. Interment private, Woodlands, Phila."

Wife of Ebenezer Maxwell, who built a state of the art house (for its time) in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, PA, which, today, is the only Victorian house museum in the U.S.

Woodlands Cemetery
Philadelphia County
Pennsylvania, USA
Plot: Section G, Lot 99, Grave 101.

Created by: Donna Di Giacomo
Record added: Nov 18, 2004
Find A Grave Memorial# 9917636

Princeton Class of 1922

Clarence B. Maxwell Garrigues, 980 Hillside Avenue, Plainfield, NJ

Princeton Class of 1918

Clarence B. Maxwell Garrigues, 721 Watchung Ave., Plainfield

June 13, 2012 Email from Rick Detwiller

'Glad people are enjoying these as much as we are. Attached is the jpeg of Laura C. Detwiller. For some reason it was still in PhotoShop so that explains the download problem. It should be fine this time.

I thought you'd also like to see our Swiss cousin Alfred Seiler's cartoon of the 1928 Plainfield Horse Show It shows Freddie, Dad's sister Marguerite Detwiller (Harwood) , and I think one of the Wigton girls who fell off the horse and landed in the mud puddle. Also attached is a photo ca.May-June 1954 of Krolls, Detwillers, Campbells, Wigtons and Stuarts et al watching a neighborhood horseshow. Not necessarily Garden Club, but classics!
(l. To r. Gordon Stuart, Nancy Dwinnell Kroll, Laurie Detwiller, Bill
Wigton, Steve Kroll, Rick Detwiller, Cindy Kroll, and Bill Campbell. Cath
Detwiller and Jean Stuart standing behind fence)


Rick D.

Detwiller - Krolls Horseshow Plainfield May - June 1954

1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary

Mrs. William A. Garrigues
980 Hillside Avenue

200 W Tulpehocken Street | Philadelphia, PA Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion

The Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion is the only Victorian house museum in Philadelphia. Enjoy live Victorian Theatre events, or come tour the 17-room Victorian mansion and gardens for a unique glimpse into our past.

1909 Plainfield City Directory

Garrigues Wm A, h 721 Watchung av

1938-1939 Meeting Minutes

1928 Plainfield City Directory

1997 Mansions of May

Houses designed by architect John P. Benson on May 4, 1997 home tour.

980 Hillside Avenue

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Application to the National Register of Historic Places

719-23 Watchung Avenue
c. 1880
Interesting gable with central square campanile tower with cross shape plan and flat roof with balustrade.

1885, the home of George R. K. Smith, "soap, N. Y." Later, also the home of C. Benson Wigton, Mayor of Plainfield

Projecting cabinet head windows, supported by small scrolled brackets – diamond shaped applied molding above the double arched window in the gable pediment – tower treatment.

1954 - 1970 296 Images from Plainfield Library Scrapbook

April 23, 1965 Garden Club History Reviews Past 50 Years

A history of the Plainfield Garden Club was presented to members Wednesday by Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd at the club's annual meeting in the home of Mrs. Edgar F. Davis, 1080 Rahway Rd. Mrs. Alexander Kroll was co-hostess.

The history has been published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Garden Club, which was formed in 1915.

The first part of the history was written by a charter member, now deceased, Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck. The second part, covering the years from 1940-1965, was written by Mrs. Gerald Furman, and highlights the accomplishment of all the departments of the club.

Special emphasis is given to the three continuing projects: the Shakespeare Garden started in 1927; the Dogwood Collection, sponsored since 1946; and the Iris Garden begun in 1932; all in Cedar Brook Park. These three gardens have received national recognition and many awards for excellence.

The Union County Park Commission has just named the dogwood planting, "The Harriette R. Halloway Cornus Collection," in appreciation of the club's many years of service to park activities. Miss Halloway, 90, is the Garden Club's oldest living member and an authority on cornus and iris.

Mrs. Edwin J. Fitzpatrick, nominating chairman, present the slate of officers which was elected as follows: President, Mrs. Wayne J. Holman Jr.; first vice president, Mrs. David Sanders; second vice president, Mrs. F. Gregg Burger; treasurer, Mrs. William K. Dunbar Jr.; recording secretary, Mrs. C. Northrup Pond; and corresponding secretary, Mrs. C. Benson Wigton Jr.

Mrs. Holman and Mrs. Sandford will attend the annual meeting of the Garden Club of America in Cleveland, Ohio from May 10-14. Mrs. Holman will present a resume of recent program given by members of the Plainfield Club on the botanical background of the mallow plant family.

Mrs. John Wells of Valley Road, Watchung, said the club will again give scholarships to the Audubon summer camps or the N. J. State School of Conservation at Stokes Forest, as has been done since 1941. School teachers and scout leaders are eligible to apply for the scholarships.

A colored movie, entitled "Wings Over Blitzen," was shown, picturing wildlife in its natural state in the Malheur Wildlife Refuge near Burns, Ore.

Tea followed the meeting. Mrs. C. Benson Wigton and Mrs. Blanche P. Nash presided at the tea table, which was decorated with an arrangement of white spring flowers.

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Application to the National Register of Historic Places

719-23 Watchung Avenue
c. 1880
Interesting gable with central square campanile tower with cross shape plan and flat roof with balustrade.

1885, the home of George R. K. Smith, "soap, N. Y." Later, also the home of C. Benson Wigton, Mayor of Plainfield

Projecting cabinet head windows, supported by small scrolled brackets – diamond shaped applied molding above the double arched window in the gable pediment – tower treatment.

1973-1974 PGC Directory

1974-1975 Directory

980 Hillside Avenue

June 2, 2008 Greg Palermo's Tree Blog

There is a fine kousa dogwood between 980 and 996 Hillside Avenue, pictured below.

May 14, 1983 Centennial The Wardlaw Hartridge School

Giggleswick by Marjorie Blackman Elliott, 1989

1970 Corresponding Secretary file

Jeannette Wigton Stuart December 21, 2013

Jeannette W Stuart
Born: December 11, 1916
Died: December 21, 2013

Send Flowers Send a Card
Jeannette Wigton Stuart, 97, of Lake Wales passed away Saturday, December 21, 2013 at her residence.

She was born December 11, 1916 in Plainfield, NJ to the late Charles Benson & Anna Maxwell Wigton; and she came here from Oldwick, NJ in 1994. She attended Hartridge School in Plainfield, NJ, Dana Hall School in Wellesley, MA and the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan. Her list of talents and accomplishments are many; interior designer, fashion designer, avid gardener and landscape designer, winner of blue ribbons at the New York Flower Show, member of the Plainfield Garden Club, Junior League and TWIG. A journeyman of faux finishes with the famed Isabel O'Neil, a well-known miniature collector whose doll house, a replica of the historic Morris House in Philadelphia, PA is now on display at the Newark Museum. As a member of the USSGA, she was a lover of all things golf.

Jeannette was preceded in death by her husband, Linden Stuart, Jr.

Survivors include her daughters, Carol Stuart Henry and her husband, Robert of Potterville, NJ and Beverly Stuart Melius of St. John, Virgin Islands; sons, Linden "Terry" Stuart III and his wife, Melissa of Longmont, CO and Gordon T. Stuart and his wife, Paula of Bernardsville, NJ; sisters, Betty Bours of Wilmington, DE and Ann Hall of Essex, CT; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Memorial service will be held 1:30 pm Saturday, December 28, 2013 at Bok Tower Sanctuary in the Round Garden at the foot of the tower.

Plainfield Library Bio Card