Member: Miller, Mrs. Raymond Van Vranken (Jean Whitelock Griscom) '33 and '64
1928 Treasurer Book April 15th $5.00 Listed as Mrs. R. Miller (Is Mrs. Miller's join date incorrect?)
1929 Treasurer Book Active $5.00
1930, 1931, 1932, 1933 Treasurer Book Active
1932 Directory* Address: 980 Woodland Avenue
* = This directory is not dated but presumed to be from the year 1932.
NOTE: In the 1932 directory, "Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller, 980 Woodland Avenue" is crossed out by hand and a notation is handwritten next to her name "Associate"
NOTE: Under the section which lists "Associate Members" Mrs. Raymond Miller is handwritten.
1933 Treasurer Book: Miller, Mrs. Raymond 12/32 Pd. (crossed out) Associate
1934 Treasurer Book: Mrs. R. V. V. Miller 1/15/34 PAID DEAD
1937 Treasure Book: Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller is listed under "Associate" and crossed out. She is then added in the list alphabetically: Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller 1/6/37 Pd.
1938 Treasurer Book, Associate: Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller 1/5/38 Pd 1/7/39 Pd. 1/8/40 Pd. 1/7/41 Pd. 11/29/41 Pd. 2/1/42 Pd.
1943 - 1945 Treasurer Book, Associate: Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller 11/22/43 Pd. 11/29/44 Pd. Her name is crossed out.
There must have been two Mrs. Raymond V.V. Millers as the Treasurer's book clearly marks the member from '33 as deceased. In the 1943 Treasurer book there is an entry from Mrs. R.V.V. Miller
1942 Directory: 980 Woodland Avenue
NOTE: Associate Member
1945 - 1946 Treasurer Book, Active: Miller, Mrs. R. V. V. 12/4/45 5/14/46 May 7, 1947 June 4, 1948 June 8, 1949 May 29, 1950 May 1951 June 1952
1970 Address: 440 W. Eighth Street, Plainfield
NOTE: Listed as "Sustaining Member" She is the sole member listed this way in 1970.
1973 Address: 440 W. Eighth Street, Plainfield
NOTE: Listed as "Affiliate Member" She is the sole member listed this way in 1973.
1978 Address: (from list sent to the GCA, does not denote type of membership) 440 West Eighth Street, Plainfield
1981 Address: On the membership list, Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller is crossed off.
***The second Mrs. Raymond Van Vranken Miller is the former Mrs. Frank Seymour Barr '32. Please refer to that profile. Mrs. Barr-Miller's daughter is PGC member Mrs. Charles E. Loizeaux***
1915-1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club
1915-1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club
Andrew Van Vranken Raymond
Andrew Van Vranken's daughter Miriam Hotchiss Raymond who married a Miller and their son was Mrs. R.V.V. Miller '33 husband
Andrew Van Vranken Raymond (8 August 1854 – 5 April 1918) was an American minister, educator and author; raised in the Dutch Reformed Faith in upstate New York. He was a graduate of Union College (Class of 1875), and was a pastor in the Dutch Reformed Church before becoming a Presbyterian minister. He later accepted the position as President of Union College (1894-1907). He accepted a call to the First Presbyterian Church in Buffalo, NY where he served as pastor until his death
Raymond was born in Visscher's Ferry (near Schenectady, New York) on 8 August 1854 he was the son of Rev. Henry A. Raymond, a minister in the Dutch Reformed faith, and Catherine Maria (Miller) Raymond , he attended Troy High School and entered Union College in 1872 as a sophomore. He was an earnest student and a talented athlete. He played baseball, edited the College Spectator, joined the Union Navy (boating club) and was a member of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, graduating in 1875, he then attended New Brunswick Theological Seminary in 1878.
Then on 24 September 1879, he married Margaret Morris Thomas of Middleville, NY, she died June 11, 1907; they had two sons and a daughter, Morris Thomas Raymond, Miriam Hotchkiss Raymond, and Andrew V.V. Raymond Jr. He was pastor at the First Reformed church in Patterson, NJ from 1878 to 1881 before accepting a call that same year as pastor of Trinity Reformed Church in Plainfield, NJ from 1881 – 1887. It was at this time he left the Dutch reformed faith and became a Presbyterian minister; he accepted a call to the Fourth Presbyterian Church in Albany, New York and was installed 10 March 1887.
 Union College
Now close to his old Alma Mater, he became much more active in college activities and soon became president of the General Alumni Association too, a post that he maintained until he resigned his pastorate. Although Dr. Raymond felt ministry was his true calling, he struggled with a personal decision for several weeks; because he had been offered the position as Union College president. He finally came to a decision and accepted the offer as College President on May 5, 1894. On 8 June 1894 he resigned from both the General Alumni Association President and as Pastor of the Fourth Presbyterian Church and began his Presidency at Union College. He remained as president of Union College in Schenectady, NY officially from 8 June 1894 until 1907. While there, he was a member of the Schenectady Chamber of Commerce and not only was he able to restore Union College to sound financial health, but he boosted the science curriculum, by persuading General Electric's Charles Steinmetz to head the newly established Department of Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics, however, he began yearning to return to the ministry. He offered his services as supply pastor and ended up taking leave of his burden to supply the pulpit at First Presbyterian Church in Buffalo, NY during his last years as president of Union College, while still supplying the pulpit as pastor, Dr. Raymond published his only book; "Union University, its history, influence, characteristics and equipment". Shortly after its release, Dr. Raymond's wife died. He was of course at that time engaged to preach as the stated supply pastor at First Presbyterian Church and still served as president of Union College. He finally resigned from the presidency on July 18, 1907 after finally being persuaded to accept the call to First Presbyterian Church.
 Pastor of First Presbyterian Church (1907-1918)
Dr. Raymond was installed as senior pastor at 1st Presbyterian Church on December 6, 1907 at an installation service presided by Dr. E. H. Dickinson of North Presbyterian Church; Rev. William Waith, D.D., (the father of First Church Organist Dr. William S. Waith), read the scripture passages, and returning to the pulpit in the "New" First Presbyterian Church to preach the sermon was former pastor Rev. David R. Frazer, D. D., now Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Newark, NJ., also assisting in the service was Rev. Henry Ward, D. D., of East Church who offered the prayer of installation; Rev. William R. Taylor, D.D., of Rochester, NY, gave the charge; and Rev. Samuel V. V. Holmes, D. D. of Westminster Presbyterian Church, gave the charge to the people.
Dr. Raymond quickly became active in Western New York; on 1 February 1910 he was named Manager of the Buffalo State Hospital to succeed the deceased William C. Krauss, to complete his term which was to expire December 31, 1916. This was no doubt because while serving at the Fourth Presbyterian church in Albany, NY he was appointed by Governor Higgins in 1905 as the manager of the New York State Hospital in Utica, New York.
 World War One and an Unexpected Death
With the outbreak of World War I and the United States entry into the war in 1917, Dr. Raymond asked and received leave of absence to preach at military camps, leaving Rev. William M. Boocock, Associate Minister in charge. However, this schedule took its toll on Dr. Raymond's health, under the strain of these duties. In January 1918 he visited Clifton Springs to better his health and on died in early April 1918, he died of a heart attack in Tyron (near Spartanburg, South Carolina) while visiting his son. His death was a great shock to the congregation and the community. In his pastime, Dr. Raymond enjoyed fishing, golf and was involved a variety of social clubs. Funeral services were held in the First Presbyterian Church on Monday, 8 April 1918 and were opened and conducted by Rev. William H. Boocock, D.D., with prayers offered by Drs. Holmes and Searle, with scripture readings by Drs. McLennan and Stone with an address by Dr. Alexander, a friend of over forty-five years, the benediction was given by retired pastor Rev. Samuel S Mitchell, D.D.. Prayers were also offered at the manse by Rev. P. T. Pockman, D.D. Dr. Raymonds' body laid in state in the sanctuary under the great dome through the afternoon and evening.
MILLER - GRISCOM – ON Thursday, June 10, 1909 at the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, Plainfield, NJ by the Rev. Dr. Andrew Van Vranken Raymond, assisted by the Rev. Dr. John Sheridan Zelie, Jean Whitelock, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Griscom to Raymond Van Vranken Miller
Craig Adams Marsh
(VIII) Craig Adams, eldest son of Warren and Kate Harned (Adams)
Marsh, was born in Plainfield, New Jersey, December 8, 1856, died there November 12, 1910. He attended the public school of Plainfield, graduating from the high school in 1872, in his sixteenth year.
I lis mind turned to Princeton as an educational institution which he should like to make his alma mater, but his chief preceptor suggested he should enter Union College at Schenectady, New York, this
preceptor being himself a graduate of that institution. Having sent his name to Union College, and being informed that he was too young to enter, he concluded to spend one year more in a post-graduate course in the high school, which proved to his advantage, as it enabled him to enter Union as a sophomore.
Some of his classmates who have made reputations for themselves in the world were: ames R. Truax, Ph. D., who became instructor in Languages and Literature in Union College ; Rev. John W. Doremus,
of Bryan, Texas; Mr. Homer Greene, of Honesdale, Pennsylvania; Mr. Frank Tweedy, of Washington, D. C. ; Rev. Dr. A. V. V. Raymond, later president of Union College ; the late Rev. Dr.
John G. Lansing, professor in Rutgers College, and Mr. Justice William G. Rudd, of Albany, New York. While a student in the high school he was fond of athletics, in which he excelled, and this fondness followed him at Union, where he was captain of the college baseball nine, and not only became an expert player, but won the "President's prize"
for best ball playing. At college he became a member of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. He was elected respondent by the "House of Representatives" for the anniversary exercises in June, 1875,
and was chosen orator for class day at the graduation, when his standing in his class was ninety-five, an unusual mark of scholarship.
When Mr. Marsh graduated from Union College in 1876, he was not de-
cided as to whether he would enter the ministry or study law, but after careful deliberation he chose the law. He entered the office of Dodd & Ackerman, of Newark, the senior partner, Hon. Amzi Dodd, having served as Vice-Chancellor of New Jersey from 1871 to 1875, and again from 1881 to 1882. After spending one year
in this office he entered Columbia Law School in New York City, in 1877, and was graduated therefrom with the degree of Bachelor of Arts on May 14, 1879, after a two years' course. During his course at the law school his eyes became weak from overuse, and then he found his wife (having married in the mean-time) his best helpmeet in a situation which he had not expected. She read to him law book after law book, case after case, while he listened and absorbed the
common law, statutes, opinions and court dicta. It proved a source of enjoyment to both, and enabled him to complete his course in the required time.
After his graduation from Columbia Law School, he entered the offices of Suydam & Jackson, in Plainfield, where he remained for a few months. He was admitted to the New Jersey bar at the November term of the Supreme Court, 1879, as an attorney-at-law. Shortly afterward he opened an office for the practice of his profession in the Dunlap
building, where he remained for many years. He soon was in receipt of a good practice, which steadily increased in volume and importance, due to the fact that he achieved success in the justices'
courts and in the Union circuit. Mr. Marsh early acquired a reputation for successfully defending alleged criminals. He did this often in the city police court, but also in the higher State courts, and at various times in the Federal courts at Trenton and in New York City. He had
a great horror of unjust convictions in the criminal courts, and a most hearty contempt for sensational petitions. Among the press clippings which he preserved at the beginning of his practice and carried about in his pocket were two which greatly impressed him. The first may in
part account for the earnestness and vigor with which he always so endeavored to defend a client as to make sure the jury would give heed to a "reasonable doubt," and not convict an innocent man of a
crime. The second was upon the great ease with which petitions could be procured, and it aided to prove to him that they were of no real significance, especially in criminal cases. During his early years of practice he had several students who admired him both as teacher and friend.
The rapidity with which Mr. Marsh rose in his profession, so far as admission to the various courts and the highest appointments within the gift of his native city would indicate, may be best gathered from the following dates: He was sworn in as an attorney on November 6, 1879. Three years later, at the corresponding term of court, which was at the earliest possible moment under the rules of the
court, he was admitted as counsellor. Nine months previous to this, however, on February 6, 1882, he was appointed a Master in Chancery by Chancellor Runyon. On May i, 1882, after but two and
one-half years practice, he was appointed Corporation Counsel of the city of Plainfield, a position he retained through all
administrations. Republican, Democratic, Independent and Prohibitionist, until his decease. On February 20, 1883, he was
appointed Supreme Court Commissioner, which authorized him to take testimony upon reference. On December 15, 1886, he was admitted to practice before the Circuit Court of the United States for the District of New York. On March 15, 1887, he was admitted to practice be-
fore the Circuit Court of the United States for the Third Circuit, including New Jersey, and also the United States District Court, District of New Jersey. He was also a Special Master in Chan-
cery. He also received the degree of Master of Arts from his alma mater, June 14. 18S5.
Mr. Marsh was only twenty-five years of age when he was appointed Corporation Counsel of the city of Plainfield by Hon. L. V. F. Randolph, who was then mayor. Undoubtedly he was the youngest man ever appointed to the responsible position of Corporation Counsel in any
city in the State of New Jersey, and few have received such an appointment when they were simply attorneys and not coun-
sellors. But the result justified the appointment to a remarkable degree. From the outset his written legal opinions to the municipal body were brief or lengthy, as the occasion demanded ; were lucid,
were exact, and were always accepted as correct law. The questions submitted to him for his determination in writing by the Common Council were numerous and varying, and they concerned the accept-
ance and regulation of dedicated property, assessment and revocation of taxes, terms and duties of the city officials, extra compensations of officials, authority of the city over shade trees in the streets, the powers of council over the liquor question, duties of election officers, power to sprinkle streets at public expense, the legality of votes when the voters had temporarily removed their residence, and hundreds of similar questions, many of which required tedious and exhaustive
consideration. It is doubtful if any other counsel in the State ever had more puzzling questions to settle, or gave as close attention to the duties of the oflfice. Besides his numerous written opinions, he
was constantly called upon by the various city officials, chairmen of committees and heads of departments, including the Chief of Police, for instructions upon almost every conceivable municipal topic.
Their rule of conduct in cases of doubt was invariably that which was laid down to them explicitly by the Corporation Counsel. He also was interviewed on all manner of interesting public questions by the reporters of the press. During the first five years of his counselship
he attended all meetings of the "City Fathers," but afterward, finding it was too much of a drain upon his time, and not based upon any necessity, he only attended meetings under a previous arrangement, or when sent for. Summing up his conduct in the office of counsel of
his native city, it clearly appears that in the advice he tendered, and in the dignified, straightforward course he pursued, he always did that which he believed to be for the best interests of the municipality and its citizens, while doing injustice to no one, and that he could not
tolerate even the suspicion of performing a dishonorable official act. It is said of him that he had accomplished as much as many accomplish at eighty years of age.
Mr. Marsh, needless to say, exerted a great influence on the affairs of his native city ; his work was widely extended, and although he has passed on from the scene of his earthly labor his influence is felt and recognized. He was public-spirited and progressive, ever ready to forward a movement that tended toward morality, always anxious that
right principles in politics and citizenship should be in the ascendant, always mindful of those little attentions to the older members of the bar to whom he looked as ensamples of cultured intelligence, always
eager to increase the standards of professional character among young attorneys. Upon the announcement at the legislative session of 1892 that a bill was introduced to legalize race-track gambling and that it would probably pass, Mr. Marsh, with the late Rev. E. M. Rod-
man and one or two others, called a public meeting at Music Hall, Plainfield, which was presided over by Mayor Gilbert, and at it Mr. Marsh spoke with a fearlessness, vigor and burning eloquence
that he seldom, if ever, surpassed. But the act passed, and there was nothing to do save wait another year, and then if possible elect such men to the legislature as would secure its repeal. Accordingly
the Plainfield Branch of the State Citizens' League was organized, and Mr. Marsh prepared its constitution and was one of the active members of its executive committee. In 1904 Mr. Marsh was
elected president of the Union County Bar Association, was reelected in 1905, and in 1906 declined to allow his name to be used. Notwithstanding this, he was unanimously elected and served for
the year 1906. He was a charter member of the State Bar Association ; during the years from 1901 to 1906 he served as a
member, and later as chairman of the committee on admissions, on the committee for the improvement of the judicial system, and on the committee on legal education. In 1906-07 he was a member
of the board of directors, and from 1908 to 1909 he was second vice-president. From then until his death he was on the special committee upon the judiciary amendments, and the committee on ethics and grievances. He was a member of the Union County Lincoln Association,
and a member of its executive committee. A large number of clubs and associations were incorporated through Mr. Marsh, who prepared the necessary papers. In 1881, when the Plainfield Public Library
was formed, Mr. Marsh was one of its first board of directors. He was interested in the public park of the city, and the Town Improvement Association, of whose advisory committee he was a member, also had his earnest support, and his contribution of time, thought and money.
?o did the Children's Home, Muhlenberg Hospital, and other similar institutions. He was a member of Anchor Lodge, No. 149, Free and Accepted Masons, in which he was installed May 25, 1886, passed
October 26, 1886, raised November 23, 1886; made senior deacon, 1888; senior warden, 1889; worshipful master, January 14, 1890; retired and became past worshipful master, December 28, 1890.
On February 23, 1892. he was presented by the lodge with an elaborate and costly jewel accompanied by an apron. He was
made a thirty-second degree Mason, January 7, 1888. Pie was also a member of the Plainfield High School Alumni Association, Union College and Columbia Law School Alumni associations, City Bar Association of Plainfield, International Law Association, New York Law Instit-
tute, Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. Plainfield, Watchung Hunt, Riding and Driving, Park and Sangerbund clubs, Mattano Club of Elizabeth, Citizens' League, State Charities Aid Association, Plainfield Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Plainfield Young Men's
Christian Association and the McAll Mission. In politics he was always a Republican.
Mr. Marsh was a personal friend and admirer of Rev. Dr. A. V. V. Raymond, when the latter was pastor of Trinity Reformed Church, Plainfield, the friendship dating from their college days at Sche-
nectady. Previous to Dr. Raymond's call to Plainfield in 1881, Mr. Marsh had gone to the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, of which his mother was a member and in which he was baptized as a child, but he then felt it incumbent to change to Trinity, and he continued to attend there until Dr. Raymond went to Albany, in 1887. Then he immediately returned to the Crescent Avenue Church, and continued to worship there until his death, and was a most faithful attendant
upon its services. His reading, aside from the law, was always of an elevating character, and of all the poets, Shakespeare easily stood first in his afifections. He was a careful reader of good newspapers, and from his college days cut out the best articles and preserved them. He was a lover of good music, had a natural ear for
music, and possessed a fine bass voice, and was a fine performer on the flute. The recreation from which he received most pleasure in later years was that of horseback riding, which he felt was the
means of greatly benefitting his health.
Mr. Marsh married, January lo, 1877, Mary Catherine, daughter of Ransom Baldwin and Elizabeth Ann (Winne) Moore, formerly of Troy, New York, where she was born, although then residing at Olivet, Michigan. Mr. Moore was a publisher in Troy, the firm in i<S5i
being Merriam & Moore. Later Mr. Merriam left the firm, and Mr. Aloore continued the business under the name of Moore & Nimes, until 1869. This was the first firm to manufacture terrestrial and celestial globes. In 1870 Mr. Moore removed to Michigan, and there established a private banking house. Mr. and Mrs. Marsh were the parents of one child, Craig Adams Jr., born March 3, 1878, died July 9, 1879.
Upon the death of Mr. Marsh, which occurred November 12, 1910, in commemoration of his life and professional character, and as a recognition of his faithful service, a proclamation was issued by the mayor that the public buildings be draped for thirty days, and official
action was also taken by the common council and many other public bodies. The press of the city and State published editorial tributes, and many expressions of regret and appreciation of his personal
worth and fidelity to his trust were received from members of the bar and others. Letters were received from ex-Chancellor William J. Magie. ex-Justice Bennet Van Syckel, ex-Justice Gilbert Collins, Judge Benjamin A. Vail, Judge Edward S. Atwater, Vice-Chancellor
Frederic W. Stevens, Hon. John Ulrich, Mr. Joseph C. Allen, Mr. Richard V. Lindabury, Mr. Frank Bergen, Mr. Halsey M. Barrett, Mr. Jackson E. Reynolds. ex-Mayor John H. Van Winkle, Mr. George S. Clay. Justice William P. Rudd, ex-Mayor L. V. F. Randolph, ex-Mayor Alexander Gilbert, ex-Mayor William L. Saunders and Rev. Charles A. Eaton, D. D. Personal letters were also received from Mayor Charles J. Fisk, Dr. George W. Endicott, Mr. E. E. Phillips, Hon. S. S. Swackhamer, President Charles A.
Richmond, Hon. Bartow S. Weeks, Justice Samuel Kalisch, Hon. Henry C. Pitney, ex-Justice Van Syckel, ex-Justice Gilbert Collins, Hon. P. R. von Mindon, Mr. F. J. Hubbard, Mr. James L. Griggs and Mrs. Dempsey. The following is the tribute of respect from ex-Chancellor William J. Magie :
When Mr. Marsh came to the bar, he had the good sense to perceive that he did not know all the law. He therefore entered upon a course of systematic reading and study, which, he has told me, he continued to do even in the midst of his active practice. He thus acquired an extensive knowledge of legal principles. He possessed the tact and acquired the facility of applying those principles in the ?.ctual conduct of afifairs, and particularly to the facts of the cases in which he was employed. When his clients discovered his sound knowledge and his ability in managing their affairs, success came to him almost at once.
It came so rapidly that it might have over-whelmed a less methodical and industrious man. That was not the case with him.
No pressure of business ever permitted him to appear before any Court with a case unprepared. He disclosed in every case that he not only
familiarized himself with the points on which he could rely, but he was prepared to meet the points which his opponent might present. He,
therefore, early obtained what is sometimes called "the ear of the Court," by which I mean no favoritism or partiality of the Judges but
their feeling that, when he presented a case, what he said was entitled to consideration.
He had not only convictions, but the courage of his convictions. He was not shaken by the arguments of his opponents or even by the suggestions of the Court. He maintained his positions with courteous persistence, but if the Court ruled against him he submitted with dignity. With his natural ability, his acquired knowledge and his diligence, he attained a position among the foremost of the Bar of the whole State.
I have not infrequently called the attention of students at law and the younger members of the Bar to the career of Mr. Marsh as an example
which they might well follow. When he had attained success and established an e.xcellent practice, he did not leave the place of his birth and residence for any great city. He remained among his own people, and, under those circumstances, built up a practice of which he had reason to be proud, and which, no doubt, was as remunerative as the average practice of the leading lawyers in the great cities, when the increase of expense is taken into consideration. His con-
tinued residence in Plainfield further enabled him to exercise a valuable influence in the management of the affairs of the community, which
is rarely if ever obtained by a lawyer in the hurry of practice in a large city.
Mr. Marsh was essentially a high-minded man. He did not think or act in a narrow way. He brought every question to the test of probity
and honor, and no one ever met him without feeling that he was a man to be implicitly trusted.
The following is a tribute from ex-Justice Gilbert Collins:
I came to know Craig A. Marsh soon after his admission to the Bar, and watched his career with interest. Meeting him frequently when we
were both in attendance at the Courts of Trenton waiting for causes to come on for argument, our acquaintance soon developed into a friendship which strengthened with the passing years. I met him both as opposing and as associate counsel in litigation, and acquired a great respect for his ability as a lawyer, which was tested when we were associates. One is prone to overestimate an adversary; but association brings out the strength or weakness of a colleague. Later, I had the opportunity to observe Mr. Marsh from a judicial point of view, and still later, upon my return to the practice of the law, I was thrown with him considerably in the maturity of his powers.
The keynote of his work as a lawyer was its thoroughness. He considered a legal question in every aspect, and overlooked nothing that could bear upon it. After he had decided to accept a client's retainer, he spared no efifort for effective service. His preparation, either for attack or defense, was remarkable. I never knew him to be taken unawares in the trial of a cause ; every movement of his opponent was anticipated, and he was ready with his response. If
anything, he was too particular in preparation for a trial or hearing, and in conducting it, thus entailing undue strain upon the nervous force. I remember hearing an associate on the Bench say of him: "Mr. Marsh tries his cases with a microscope." This was not intended for disparagement, for the same Judge had a very high estimate of the ability of Mr. Marsh, and once, when an appointment of \'icc Chancellor was in =contemplation, I heard him say that if he had the
selection Mr. Marsh would be his choice.
In his non-professional life also, Mr. Marsh was admirable. A good citizen, a tender husband, benevoici.t and public-spirited, he worthily
filled a place in a community where much is exacted from those who would win iionor and affection. He was a man of varied culture and
experience, not confined to the somewhat narrow lines of his profession. Despite his busy life, he found time for his annual vacation abroad, and enjoyed it to the utmost.
Altogether he was a man who filled out the measure of life in its fullness, and bis early taking-off is much to be deplored.
The following is a tribute from Mr.
Richard V. Lindabury:
I admired Mr. Marsh very much, not only on account of his high character, but for his legal ability, which I considered of the first order. Indeed, he was second to none as an advocate in this State. If Mr. Marsh had gone out into the larger fields of legal practice, he would have taken rank in the public estimation with the best
lawyers in the country.
The following is an extract from the
personal letter of Hon. Henry C. Pitney:
I esteemed him as one of my most cherished friends. Of late years I have not been in the way of seeing him often, but I have a delightful
recollection of a short visit with him just before he took his annual trip abroad in igog, as well as our several social meetings in London. He
has left the memory of a well-spent, honorable life.
The foregoing ."sketch was compiled from the book entitled "Life if Craii? A. Marsh," written by A. V. D. Honeymann, editor of the New Jersey Law Journal.
Charles H Smith designs the Craig Adams Marsh House
From Plainfield, New Jersey History & Architecture by John Grady and Dorothe Pollard
Raised in Plainfield, Charles H. Smith became an architect and worked in the New York City office of Russell Sturgis, architectural editor of the Century Dictionary. By 1878, Smith had established his own practice with offices in New York and Plainfield. Many noteworthy homes in the area were designed by him.
The interior hall of the Marsh home is cast by the warm colors shed by a dome and series of stained glass windows.
In the 1890's, Charles Smith was the architect for this astounding home built for local attorney Craig Adams Marsh. Still standing and in the process (2008) of being restored, this West Eighth Street structure is a testament to all the wonderful things that can be accomplished with stone and wood.
440 West Eighth Street
G-513 1934 Grimstead House at 440 West Eighth Street 440 West 8th Street House at 440 West Eighth Street, image is not available, Mrs. Charles B. Crane. Van Wyck Brooks
September 29, 2948
Miss Barr Is Married
To C. E. Loizeaux Jr.
– • – •
Ate marriage of Miss Elizabeth
Manning Barr, daughter of Mrs.
Raymond Van Vranken Miller of
Plainfield, N. J., and of Frank
Seymour Barr of Sparta, N. J.,
to Charles Edward Loizeaux Jr.,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Loizeaux,
also of Plainf ield, i s taking place
today in the Crescent Avenue
Presbyterian Church in Plainfield.
The Rev. Dr. John J. Moment,
pastor of: the. church, Is
performing the ceremony, and a
reception will follow at the home
of the bride's parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Isaac L. Miller
Charter Members of the Shakespeare Society 1986 - 1998
November 14, 1895 New York Times
New York Times November 14, 1895
PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED
In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital – Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success – The Booths.
PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 – There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.
Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.
Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:
French Booth – Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.
Florentine Booth – Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.
Gypsy Booth – Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.
Venetian Booth – Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Havbiland, Mrs. Samuel Huntingont, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.
Japanese Booth – Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.
Spanish Booth – Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.
German Booth – Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.
Stationery Booth – Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.
Parisian Flower Stall – Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.
Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams
440 West 8th Street, Plainfield
Photo by S. Fraser
440 West 8th Street, Plainfield
1974 Junior League Designer Showcase: The Martine House
1974 Designer Showcase Martine House Cover to Page 25
1974 Designer Showcase Martine House Page 26 to End
In addition to saving the 1988 Program for the Designers Showhouse of Cedar Brook Farm (aka The Martine House) which was organized by the Muhlenberg Auxiliary, PGC Member Anne Shepherd also kept the 1974 Designers Showcase of the very same home, organized by the Junior League.
Within the program pages, you will find mentioned many PGC members. They include: Clawson, MacLeod, Kroll, Davis, Wyckoff, Stevens, Loizeaux, Swain, Hunziker, Connell, Foster, Dunbar, Elliott, Fitzpatrick, Gaston, Hackman, Holman, Lockwood, Morrison, Royes, Rushmore, Sanders, Williams, Barnhart, Bellows, Burger, Burner, Carter, Clendenin, DeHart, Detwiller, Eaton, Eckert, Fort, Frost, Gonder, Keating, Laidlaw, Loosli, Madsen, Mann, Marshall, Miller, Moody, Moon, Morse, Murray, Mygatt, Barrett, Peek, Perkins, Pfefferkorn, Pomeroy, Pond, Royes, Samek, Sandford, Sheble, Stevens, Shepherd, Stewart, Stout, Trewin, Vivian, Zeller, Cochran, Mooney and Hall.
Plainfield Public Library Archive
Mrs. Clifford Baker Heads Garden Club; Reports Stress Recent Civic Improvements
Election of officers of the year's work, especailly that of a civic nature recently undertaken, and an address by Mrs. Otto Lane, who gave instructions in making conservation Christmas wreaths, featured the annual meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club yesterday at the home of Mrs. George W. Fraker in Rahway Road.
Mrs. Leslie Runyon Fort, retiring president, was in charge of the business session. These officers were chosen for the coming year: President, Mrs. Clifford M. Baker; vice-presidents, Mrs. Harry P. Marshall and Mrs. Raymond V. V. Miller; recording secretary, Mrs. Anna Stewartl corresponding secretary, Miss Laura Detwiller; treasurer, Mrs. Frederick W. Yates.
Mrs. Samuel T. Carter, Jr., gave a report of the work in the Shakespeare Garden in Cedar Brook Park. During the year there were a number of plantings in the garden which have added to its attractiveness.
Mrs. Thomas R. Van Boskerck requested donations of jellies for the Flower, Plant and Fruit Guild for distribution among the sick and shut-ins. They can be sent to her home, 1232 Prospect Avenue.
The following letter was received from Edward Baker, Jr., president of the Lions club:
"I am writing you in behalf of the Lions Club of Plainfield in regarde to the very wonderful work the Plainfield Garden Club is doing around our city. Some of the members of our club have seen the work in Cottage Place and also, the brook in Watchung Avenue, which is about completed. We just want you to know that we consider this one of the finest pieces of civic service which has been rendered Plainfield. As citizens and members of the Lions Club we certainly appreciate this work."
A report of unusual interest was presented by the conservation committe of the club. It was in part as follows:
"In early October, 1931, at the request of the Chamber of Commerce a survey was made by our president, Mrs. Leslie R. Fort and the chairman of the conservation committee of the Chamber of Commerce. This report embodied suggestions for work at conscpicuous places in the city . . . be of help in unemployment relief the club made an appropriation to be used as far as possible for wages only. Great interest was at once shown not only by club members, but also by people in many walks of life.
"Two projects were undertaken. The one first begun was Cottage Place close to the railroad tracks. Following some publicity for the work being attempted, gifts came freely – top soil, manure, plants, trees and shrubs. City officials, those of the park and street departments and the New Jersey Central, co-operated gernerously.
"Today a beautiful little park awaits the spring. There have been planted 31 trees where none stood before; 26 rose bushes and over 375 other plants and shurbs have been most carefully set out. This work employed 139 hours at 50 cents an hour and 312 hours at 40 cents an hour. The expenditure was $169.50. Cottage park has been evolved.
"It was evident when the work at Cottage Place was well underway that a second piece of work could be begun. The south bank of Green Brook at the Watchung Avenue bridge was chosen as the worst eyesore in the city. Here, as in Cottage Place, advice was generously given that nothing could be done. But the gardeners just kept on working. Gifts kept coming. A tractor was brought in to cope with stones and debris impossible for men to move. Today another pleasnt little park created by the garden club also awaits the spring.
"Because in pioneer days the little stream, now called Green Brook, was called the Sahcunk River, streams, and the tribe dwelling here along its banks were teh Sahcunk Indians, this little park made by our club is now called Sahcunk Park. In those early days from Rock Avenue to Bound Brook there was located Waccaho-vo-howiohy Village, the name meaning "where you can dig into the ground."
"In two projects 28 1/4 hours at 50 cents an hour and 211 3/4 hours at 40 cents an hour made an expenditure of $99.30. The total planting of 51 trees, 89 roses and 750 other plants and shrubs cost $268.60. Every cent went for wages so the garden club has the enviable record of being able to dispense 100 per cent relief. The fine co-operative spirit shown in every direction made every moment a delight.
"Those of us who really dug in the gardens are quite conscious that many defects may be discovered easily by those so minded. But we trust that these plots, slected as behicles for helping those in distress will be filled with flowers and restful shade. And we hope that each succeeding year will find these spots a little lovelier because of our civic interest in them and that this part of co-operative effort will not be forsaken."
Among the women who were actively engaged in these enterprises were Mrs. Leslie R. Fort, president; Mrs. J. L. Devlin, Mrs. Thomas R. VanBoskerck, Mrs. Garret Smith, Mrs. Henry L. DeForest, Mrs. Clinton Ivins, Miss Elsie Harman, Mrs. Charles A. Eaton and Mrs. Henry Wells.
Plainfield Library Archive
Plainfield Library Archive
Plainfield Library Archive
1951 Check Book
Jan. 9, 1951
Flowers at Lyons
Dec. 8 - 15
Jan. 9, 1951
Flowers at Lyons
Jan. 9, 1951
Interstate Printing Corp.
In left margin:
Jan 10 Deposit
Forsythia (Mrs. R. V. V. Miller) 3.30
Union Count Park 6.60
(Mildred H. Horne?) 15.00
"Cranehurst," Residence of Chalres B. Crane, 440 West Eighth Street
In this illustrated book, the Courier-News has sought to present some of the representative homes of The Plainfields and adjoining territory, together with such other buildings of interest and importance as would serve to convey an idea of the physical attractioins of one of the most beautiful and healthful cities in the Metropolitan District. The homes reflect the desirability of this community as a place of residence.
The churches, schools, clubs and public buildings pictured serve to give the stranger some conceptions of the beauty of the city and its right to be termed the "Queen City" of New Jersey.
With picturesque Watchung Hills as a background, this section with all its natural advantages, plus a progressive spirit, coupled with high class local governing bodies and a live Chamber of Commerce, is pecularily adapted for home sites and, as a result, it has enjoyed a steady and healthy growth for many years.
publication circa 1917
1920 Muhlenberg Hospital Womens Auxiliary
Mrs. J. D. Miller
222 East Ninth Street
Mrs. Louis H. Miller
1151 Evergreen Avenue
Mrs. William Griscom
1228 Watchung Avenue
September 29, 1945 The New York Sun
Miss Barr is Married to C. E. Loizeaux, Jr.
The marriage of Miss Elizabeth Manning Barr, daughter of Mrs. Raymond Van Vranken Miller of Plainfield, N.J., and Frank Seymour Barr of Sparta, N.J., to Charles Edward Louizeaux, also of Plainfield, is taking place today in the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church in Plainfield. The Rev. Dr. John J. Moment, pastor of the church, is performing the ceremony, and a reception will follow at the home of the bride's parents.
Crescent Avenue Historic District
Crescent Area Historic District
Post Office: Plainfiled
Hillside Avenue Historic District
Van Wyck Brooks Historic District
The Crescent Area Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Portions of the text below were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2013, The Gombach Group.
Prior to the arrival of the white man, the Lenni-Lenape Indians, part of the Algonquin Tribe, lived in this area of New Jersey. The Ice Age had endowed this area with a protective terrain, productive farmlands and forests and "wonderful pure air and springs." Indian trails became the highways and streets still in use in Plainfield today.Watchung Avenue located in the heart of the Crescent Area Historic District was once one of those trails. Remains of an Indian village and burial grounds have been found in the locality of First, Second and Third Place which are within the boundaries of the Crescent Avenue Historic District.
The first white settlers from Scotland and Holland arrived in the area in the 1680's. The first permanent settler was Thomas Gordon whose home was on Cedarbrook Road adjacent to Crescent Avenue, and whose land holdings covered most of what is present-day Plainfield. The enthusiastic letters back home detailing the healthful climate, plentiful game, fish and fowl, good soil and water brought other settlers to New Jersey, in spite of the "Flee by the salt marshes, most troublesome in the summer." These elements continued through the years to attract new residents.
During the Revolutionary War, patriots from area families served in militia regiments as foot soldiers and officers. An important battle, the Battle of the Short Hills, was fought in the area in June of 1777 and was instrumental in repelling the British in New Jersey. Some of the homes of those who supported the cause of the Revolution still exist today: The Drake House Museum, where Washington rested and briefed his officers, and the Vermule Homestead, where the officers were quartered.
Following the war, industry and transportation began to grow and take on added importance, contributing to the economic prosperity. Plainfield became officially recognized on April 1, 1800 with a population of 215. The Gordon Gazetteer in 1834 gave a glowing account of all the rich resources in Plainfield and noted that "the society is moral and religious."
It was in Plainfield in 1847 that the model for the public school system for the state was devised. Through the efforts of Dr. Charles H. Stillman, Plainfield physician, the New Jersey Legislature empowered the city to raise money by taxation in order to establish a public school system. An account of the day declares, "No one can measure the effect of this enlightened policy in extending the fame of the city and building up its prosperity." Many of the people who were active in education and cultural activities lived within the bounds of the Crescent Area Historic District.
The most influential force to the development of Plainfield was the railroad, which brought about a change in the social and economic character of the town. When a direct connection was made between Plainfield and New York City, c.1850, Plainfield became a commuter town.
During the Civil War, many local residents were involved in the fighting. General Sterling, a general on McCleland's staff, built his home and settled on First Place after the War.
Job Male, a philanthropist, who became known as "Plainfield's Grand Old Man", settled in Plainfield in 1867, following the Civil War. An inventor, he had simplified the loading of ferry slips with a patented leveling device. He purchased with Evan Jones, twenty four acres of land "in the suburbs and laid it out in village lots and streets and erected twenty substantial residences of fine architectural design, drawing the plans for them all himself." He was his own contractor and owned a greater part of the land that includes Crescent Avenue and Watchung Avenue. He designed a particularly distinctive style of architecture "stucco-walled, Mansard roofed, still standing today." He continued to build homes in different parts of the city until his possessions included more than one hundred Plainfield houses. His obituary notice in 1891 noted that "his purse always ready to respond to the calls of deserving charity." He was a public benefactor, making possible the Public Library and the Job Male Art Gallery, and donating the land for the hospital, the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Church.
A Central New Jersey Times account in 1870 of "Our Town Improvements" wrote, "The improvements in building is the expression of a spirit that leads to progressive movements in other directions. The old houses are not recognizable with tints of brown and cream and olive, their plain roofs metamorphosed by pediments, fancy gables and cornices, their primitive simplicity converted into modern beauty by wings, bay windows, recessed projections and every variety of architectural development." The writer further comments on the "new houses, with their aspiring towers, French roofs and cupolas." It was the kind of community that led the Elizabeth Herald in May of 1888 to write, "The bustling activity of the city of Plainfield...is remarkable." And to conclude, "The next move in Plainfield, no doubt, will be the horse cars."
Plainfield had become a fashionable summer resort and eventually attracted many wealthy New York businessmen to settle here year 'round. The Gas Light Age evokes memories of Plainfield with theatricals, minstrel shows, roller rinks and other forms of entertainment. The site of many hotels, the Netherwood was reputed to be one of the "most healthful, comfortable and accessible inland summer resorts in the country."
By 1890, with substantial wealth and improvements, Plainfield continued to advance and prosper, attracting people of substance to live here. As successful businessmen and their families settled in the Crescent Avenue area, they became active in the cultural, religious, and educational affairs of the city. James W. Jackson, William D. Murray both served as presidents of the newly-formed YMCA. Henry C. Squires established the Hope Chapel on January 1, 1888 as a branch of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. Augustus Baldwin worked closely with Job Male in establishing the first free public library and the art gallery. In 1883 some of the first subscribers to "the last word in modern efficiency," the telephone, lived in the District: George Goddard, F.O. Herring, Leander Lovell, and the Dumond family. Many served as members of the Common Council.
After Job Male's death, Plainfield continued to be a highly desirable neighborhood and remained that way until the 1930's, when many of the large homes were converted to apartments. This process continues with single family residences almost non-existent today. The alterations for the most part are tastefully done and are not detrimental to the basic style and charm of the original building. This makes for a particularly fine collection of buildings appropriate to an Historic District.
Notes on Recollections of Long-time Residents of the Area
Longtime residents of Plainfield have been interviewed regarding their recollections of famous residents of this area. Those persons interviewed were Mrs. Lawrence Heely, Mrs. Henry Noss, Mrs. Dorothy Wills, Mrs. Helen Mygatt, Mr. John Harmon, Miss Gwen Cochran, Mrs. Dorothy DeHart, Miss Dorothy Leal, Mr. Alfred Genung, Mr. Alex Kroll, Mr. A.L.C. Marsh, Mrs. Hendrick Van Oss and others.
Many people have lived there who were outstanding in cultural fields, education and politics, as well as very successful professional and business men, active both locally and in New York City. Also educators and statesmen lived here.
John Carlson, a renown artist and member of the National Academy lived on 3rd Place as did Alex Seidel who achieved international fame for his designs for Steuben Glass. Another prominent artist who lived here was Thomas Hart Benton whose brother lived for many years on Crescent Avenue. Also William Gilbert, a well known illustrator, lived on Crescent Avenue.
The author of the White Cliffs of Dover, Alice Duer Miller, A. Van Dorn Honeyman, the famous historian, lived on 9th Street, and also Van Wyk Brooks another well-known author. Ernest Ackerman, a representative in U.S. Congress in the 1870's and his brother Marion Ackerman, who lived on Crescent Avenue, founded the Lone Star Cement Company and were deeply involved in many large national important financial and industrial enterprises.
The famous opera singer, Mario Caruso, married a Goddard and was frequently a visitor to Plainfield to the Goddard House at 213 East 9th Street. This family had a profound influence on the musical advancement of the entire area.
The area abounded in lawyers, judges and politicians, including four Mayors of Plainfield, and people in the foreign service for 25 years, such as Hendrick Van Oss, most recently served as ambassador to Madagascar and other countries.
The Crescent Avenue area was truly the heart of the town and boasted the most important and influential people of the period 1860 through 1920. The homes of these people reflect their taste, affluence and are a tangible piece of architectural history reflecting a glorious past.
The Crescent Area Historic District is a great deal more than a lot of old houses. It is probably one of the finest collections of Victorian architecture in the country. The term Victorian is all inclusive and embraces numerous styles that echo tastes and decorative devices of other periods of architecture from other countries and other times than the one in which the present buildings were constructed. The majority of these have what in architectural terms is referred to as Italianate which stems from the architectural styles popular in Italy going back as far as Byzantine derivative styles, and 15th century Venetian palaces. These variety of design styles result in the sudden surge of interest in European cultures and an attempt by the suddenly successful and new class of wealthy businessmen who were anxious to reflect their success in the work of finance in their homes. These interests were stimulated by their travels abroad and what they had seen, which was considered elegant. Thus we have Tuscan towers, Italian villas, Palazzo's with loggia and arcaded window and arches, Renaissance, Egyptian motifs, classical elements, and finally the exuberant eclectic styles throwing the more American traits of Carpenter Gothic and Stick style in for good measure. English architecture is also reflected with half timber, projecting gables, Eastlake influence, Queen Anne and Edwardian styles. The detail photos of these buildings reflect the painstaking craftsmanship of the builders and imaginative design abilities of the architects. It is truly a tangible record of the past which should be preserved as close to its original state as practical, in their new role of many being converted for multi-family use.
The Crescent Area Historic District is one of the finest collections of suburban Victorian architecture in New Jersey. Developed as a speculative real estate venture in the 1870's by Job Male, the buildings are an impressive presentation of Italianate and Second Empire style architecture of the mid to late 19th century. The houses were primarily designed for wealthy businessmen and, consequently, visages within the district still retain a fine elegance in their total ambiance of buildings and their association with landscaping, rustic streets, sidewalks, and trees.
Blumenson, John J.G. Identifying American Architecture
Central New Jersey Times, 1870-1885.
Clayton, W. Woodford. History of Union & Middlesex Counties, 1882.
Cochran, Jean Carter. The History of Crescent Avenue Church
The Courier News, History of Plainfield, 1964.
The Courier News, November 1-4-8, 1954.
Devlin, Harry. To Grandfather's House We Go.
Downey, Andrew Jackson. The Architecture of Country Houses.
The Drake House Museum & The Plainfield Public Library, Scrapbooks and Files.
Dunham, F.A. Atlas City of Plainfield and Boro of North Plainfield, 1894.
Fitzgerald & Co. (Pub.). Springfield, Massachusetts, Plainfield City Directory, 1876-7.
Gowans, Alan. Images of American Living.
Honeyman, A. Van Dorn. History of Union County, Volumes I, II, & III.
Lapsley, Howard G. History of Plainfield, 1942.
League of Women Voters. This is Plainfield, 1954.
McCabe, Wayne. Historic Tour – Plainfield, N.J.
Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce, Plainfield Area, N.J.
Pub. by Plainfield Courier News. Plainfield & Vicinity in Pictures, 1926.
Plainfield Daily Press, Friday & Saturday, January 30, 31, 1891.
Plainfield Evening News, Saturday, May 23, 1888.
Plainfield & North Plainfield City Directory, 1879-80.
Plainfield & North Plainfield City Directory, 1894-5.
Pratt, Dorothy & Richard, A Guide to Early American Homes.
Smiley, F.T. History of Plainfield, 1891.
† Charles H. Detwiller, Jr., A.I.A., Architect and Marilyn Rupp, Architectural Historian, Crescent Area Historic District, Union County, New Jersey, nomination document, 1979, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Crescent Avenue Historic District
Application to the National Register of Historic Places
744-50 Watchung Avenue
Situated on two lots, owned in 1895 by Mrs. Anna M. Martine, widow of Daniel Martine, and the corner lot, owned by Isaac Miller, "lawyer, N. Y." Mrs. Martine and Mr. Miller lived and owned houses on those properties.
Limestone or cast cement surrounds for the trim of the windows and quoins – cast cement diamond orientation between the first and second story windows – shallow cast concrete brackets under the front windows on the first, third and fourth floor. Interior plan – Ninety tow rooms; twenty six apartments.
April 16, 1954
The only listing as "Affiliate"
The second Mrs. Miller '64
440 W. Eighth Street
Plainfield Presbyterian Church Ledger - Marriages, 1844 to 1899
Note to Barbara Sandford?
This note was found in Barbara Sandford's memorabilia near her 1974 - 1975 Club Directory. We do not know the first name of the 2nd Mrs. Miller – could it be Helen?
Note to Barbara Sandford?
September 1972 Plainfield Beautification Committee
This photo was taken from a slide, 1 of 11, found in Barbara Tracy Sandford memorabilia. There were 4 slides marked "Miller" and may refer to Mrs. Raymond Van Vranken Miller '64
There were 2 Mrs. Raymond V.V. Millers – one joined in '33 and the second Mrs. Miller in 64. She lived at 440 West Eighth Street in 1972, the date stamped on the slide.
September 1972 Plainfield Beautification Committee
September 1972 Plainfield Beautification Committee
September 1972 Plainfield Beautification Committee
September 1972 Plainfield Beautification Committee
Monday Afternoon Club Membership
Monday Afternoon Club Membership