Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Ladd, Mrs. Edward H. III (Margaret or "Marge" Cone) '39

1938 - 1939 Treasurer Book: Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3d 4/15/39 Pd. Mrs. Edw. H. Ladd 3d 1/33/40 Pd 1/14/41 Pd. 11/28/41 Pd. 12/3/42 Pd. 12/3/43 Pd. 12/15/44 Pd. 12/5/45 5/17/46 May 14, 1947 May 25, 1948 June 8, 1949 May 29, 1950 June 1951 June 1952

1942 - 1980 Address: Nepawin Lane, Plainfield

1973: Listed as "Sustaining Member"

1987 NOTE: Mrs. Edward H. (Marge) Ladd III passed away

President 1951 - 1953
President 1962 - 1964

Daughter-in-law to founding member Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, Jr. '15

Sister-in-law to Mrs. Delano W. Ladd '43

Mrs. Edward H. Ladd III '41

photo circa 1950

Mrs. Edward H. Ladd III '41

back of photo

May 8, 1951 Plainfield NJ Courier

Social News

GARDEN CLUB PICNICS IN PARK Members of the Plainfield Garden Club had a picnic lunch yesterday in the arboretum in Cedar Brook Park. Picnic marked the fifth anniversary of the arboretum and the 20th of the first dogwood plantings in the park. (L to R) Ralph Carver, Union County Park Commission horticulturalist; Mrs. Charles A. Eaton Jr.; Mrs. E. H. Ladd 3rd, president of club; Mrs. R. T. Stevens, new chairman of cornus committee; Miss Harriette R. Halloway, retiring chairman; Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck, Mrs. Alden de Hart and W. R. Tracy of Union County Park commission

Handwritten date: May 7, 1951
Date on back of clipping: May 8, 1951

NOTE: This clipping was discovered April 2010 in a member's home who had been storing a leather case filled with old medals won by different Plainfield Garden Club members over the years. In this case included a Garden Club of America medal awarded to Harriette Halloway.

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 4

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 9

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 12

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 18

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 19

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 20

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 22

Ladd home captured in background of photos taken on Stelle Avenue

From the Plainfield Library Archive

Ladd home in background

From the Plainfield Library Archive

Ladd home in background

From the Plainfield Library Archive

Ladd Carriage House in the background

of photo taken on Stelle Avenue, Plainfield

From the Plainfield Library Archives

Anne Shepherd's memory of the Ladd Home

Alden deHart was a local architect that worked on many homes in Plainfield. When the Ladds moved to Nepawin Lane, he designed their house. On the front he scrolled the initials "EHL" and if you drive by, you can still see it . . . if it is still there.

Mrs. Ladd was very competitive. She won may blue ribbons at shows in New York.

January 8, 2011

From PGC Member Connie Foster's on-line album

Dave Foster, Ted Ladd, Connie Foster at Seward and Verns Lyon's house

[Not certain if this is Ted Ladd Jr. or Ted Ladd III]

Harriette Halloway October 14, 1966

Harriette R. Halloway, Known for Flowers, Dies

Miss Harriette R. Halloway, who helped found and develop the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park, died early today (Oct. 14, 1966) in Muhlenberg Hospital where she had been a patient for two days.

She would have been 92 years old next month. She had been living at the McCutchen Home, 21 Rockview Ave., North Plainfield.

Studied at Columbia

After attending the Scribner-Newton School here, a forerunner of the Hartridge School, Miss Halloway studied at Columbia University.

For several years she was actively interested in the promotion of church missions and was the first secretary of the Presbyterian synod. She also wrote pamphlets for the Board of Foreign Missions.

Started as Teacher

She was hired by John Lesl in 1916 as a teacher in his school in the same year that Charles D. Wardlaw began his career with the school that he later headed. Miss Halloway remained on the faculty until 1949.

"To the end she was a devoted friend of the school," Prentice C. Horne, headmaster of the Wardlaw School, said today.

Miss Halloway earned many awards for flowers and flower arrangements and was recognized internationally for her work in horticulture.

Received Many Honors

Besides being honored by the Royal Horticultural Society in England, Miss Halloway was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal by the Garden Club of America in 1958.

In 1931 she helped establish the nationally known dogwood area of Cedar Brook Park and the famous Iris Gardens was founded by her the following year. In 1936 she directed the daffodil plantings there and later a peony garden.

She also served as a consultant to the Union County Park Commission. During her lifetime she was honored with membership in the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboretums and the New York Botanical Gardens and the American Horticultural Society are among the national groups who recognized her accomplishments.

She also was the author of many horticultural writings.

Garden Club Member

A member of the Plainfield Garden Club since 1920, she served at various times as chairman of the conservation program and horticultural committee.

Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, 3rd, president of the Garden Club, said that Miss Halloway had asked the members of the club long ago that in lieu of flowers she would prefer a memorial plaque "Halloway Collection" to be placed in the Cornus (dogwood) planting area in Cedar Brook Park, since the collection was her chief love.

Contributions to the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church Endowment fund were also mentioned by Miss Halloway in lieu of flowers.

The A. M. Runyon and Son Funeral Home which is in charge of funeral arrangements has announced services will be held Monday at 2:30 p.m. in the chapel of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church with the pastor, the Rev. Dr. Charles L. Mead officiating. Interment will be in Hillside Cemetary.

There will be no calling hours at the funeral home.

1987 Archives

From the Corresponding Secretary file

Contributors in Marge Ladd's Memory for the Shakespeare Garden

Mrs. Philip Nash
Mrs. Lawrence Heely
Mrs. Richard Eckert
Mrs. Webster Sandford
Mrs. June [not legible]
Standish Ave and Wood Ave
Mrs. Bruce Reid
Mrs. Northrop Pond
Mrs. Alden De Hart
Mrs. E. J. Fitzpatrick
Mrs. William Elliot
Mrs. Charles Eaton Jr.
Mrs. William Shepherd

Total $445.00

May 18 1987

Dear Jane [Craig],

Thank you so much for your letter describing how the Garden Club is using the contributions given in mummy's memory.

Ted and I are delighted you were able to put it to such good use. The Shakespeare period plantings, the trees and boxwood sound lovely and very approbriate. I'm sure our mother would be delighted and we all look forward to visiting the garden when next in Plainfield.

In the meantine, please know that we greatly appreciate the thoughts you've given to [not legible] such a nice memorial to her.

With best wishes, Kitty Ladd Ward

May 18

May 18 1987

Email from Elisabeth Loizeaux to Susan Fraser February 12, 2011

Dear Susan,

Yes, I remember the postcard well. I believe it was a State wide project for GCA clubs to acquaint people with native plants (it could even have been a Nation wide project). I am sorry, but I can't recall what year it was undertaken . I would suggest you ask Barbara Sandford about Gerri Acomb. If I remember correctly, she grew up in Northern India and was a painter of botanical subjects, quite well known. I now wonder if PGC ever owned the original painting of the clematis? I remember endless trips to the printer, and I was never really happy with the colors .We all had to buy a certain number of cards and then sell them to our friends and acquaintances. If the date is really important, maybe GCA has records, I recall going to a meeting (maybe a Zone meeting) and seeing a large collection of other cards.

But do ask Barbara about Ms Acomb, she was an unusual person. In fact, please let me know what you find out. There are so many interesting stories about "old Plainfield" people, how they were related, how they intermarried etc. ––- I could not believe my eyes when I saw Beverley Reid's letter of resignation. She must have been really disappointed in us younger members. She was MRS Gardenclub, a super talented horticulturist and arranger, trained by the previous super GC members: The two sisters Mrs. Frost and Mrs. de Hart, Marge Elliot, Mrs. Ladd (who went to flower shows with her maid in attendance who had to hand her tools and flowers at her command, the way a nurse hands surgical instruments to the surgeon!)

Best regards,

Elisabeth

June 12, 1978

Plainfield Garden Club celebrates
50th Anniversary of Shakespeare Garden

PLAINFIELD - The Plainfield Garden Club, a member of The Garden Club of America, will celebrate the 50th anniversary of teh Shakespeare Garden at Cedarbrook Park on June 13. The Union County Park Commissioners and Mayor Paul O'Keeffe have been invited as special guests at the observance.

The Garden Club members, with the Union County Park's help and cooperation, have maintained the garden since it was established in 1928 by the Shakespeare Society of Plainfield and the Plainfield Garden Club.

The garden is composed exclusively of plants, herbs, trees, and shrubs, named in Shakespeare's plays and sonnets. Two years ago, the Plainfield Garden Club members designed and planted a knot garden which is a patterned or geometric design often found in English gardens. The knot garden is planted with gray and green santolina and the border is germander. On June 13, this garden will be dedicated in memory of Mrs. Hugh Gaston, a former member of the Plainfield Garden Club and devoted worker in the Shakespeare Garden for many years.

The Garden Club members not only have dedicated many hours a week planting and weeding in the Garden under the supervision of Mrs. Robert Hackman, Mrs. Arthur Seybold, and Mrs. Victor King, but also have made many donations to the Garden. In April, each member brought an authentic plant to the regular meeting, and Mrs. Edward Ladd III gave an English Hawthorne tree.

Mrs. Bruce Reid is restoring the markers for the plants which identify the quotes from Shakespeare that the plants are mentioned in.

Caption:

PLAINFIELD GARDEN CLUB MEMBERS READY FOR CELEBRATION
. . . the Shakespeare Garden has been maintained by the club for 50 years

1st Prize New York Flower Show 1948

Smithsonian Archives
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.jsp?view=&date.slider=&q=plainfield+&dsort=&start=60


Catalogued Data:
Title:New York Flower Show [slide]
Creator: Cassebeer, F. W
Physical description: 1 slide: glass lantern, col.; 3 x 5 in
Type: Projected media
Place: United States of America, New York, New York
New York (State)
New York City
Date: 1948
03/08/1948
Topic: Spring
Flower shows
Flower arrangement
Local number: NY208061
Restrictions: Access to original images by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu
Notes: No Names for Picture. Class 1 - Picture. Mass arrangement in pastel tones. 1st prize, Mrs. Edward Ladd III, Plainfield, N. J
Data Source: Archives of American Gardens

New York Flower Show 1949

Smithsonian Archives
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.jsp?view=&date.slider=&q=plainfield+&dsort=&start=60


Catalogued Data:
Title:New York Flower Show [slide]
Creator: Cassebeer, F. W
Physical description: 1 slide: glass lantern, col.; 3 x 5 in
Type: Projected media
Place: United States of America, New York, New York
New York (State)
New York City
Date: 1949
03/21/1949
Topic: Spring
Flower arrangement
Flower shows
Local number: NY208084
Restrictions: Access to original images by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu
Notes: No Names for Picture. Class 1 - Picture - Arrangement showing rhythum in color and line. Mrs. Edward H. Ladd III, Plainfield, NJ
Data Source: Archives of American Gardens

1st Prize New York Flower Show 1947

Smithsonian Archives
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.jsp?view=&date.slider=&q=plainfield+&dsort=&start=60


Catalogued Data:
Title:New York Flower Show [slide]
Creator: Cassebeer, F. W
Physical description: 1 slide: glass lantern, col.; 3 x 5 in
Type: Projected media
Place: United States of America, New York, New York
New York (State)
New York City
Date: 1947
03/00/1947
Topic: Spring
Flower shows
Flower arrangement
Local number: NY208317
Restrictions: Access to original images by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu
Notes: No Names for Picture. "Moderate Cost Room, Tues., Cost little or nothing Tues." Occasional table, 1st prize, Mrs. E. H. Ladd, III, Plainfield, N. J
Data Source: Archives of American Gardens
Record Identifier:siris_arc_193509

Leader-Press Thursday June 20, 1967

Mrs. Helen S. Cone

COLONIA – Funeral service for Mrs. Helen (Savage) Cone, 86, of New Dover Road, who died Friday night at Rahway Hospital, were held Monday afternoon at Trinity Episcopal Church, Woodbridge.

Mrs. Cone was born in Woodbridge and lived there the past 60 years. She was the wife of the late Edward K, Cone.

Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd III, Plainfield; Mrs. Eric. B. Mount, Port of Spain, Trinidad; Mrs. Nelson A. Kenworthy, Colonia; four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

http://archive.woodbridgelibrary.org/Archive/LeaderPress/1967/1967-06-29/pg_0014.pdf

Major Thomas Savage of Boston and his descendants by Lawrence Park

http://books.google.com/books?id=oHctAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA60&lpg
=PA60&dq=margaret+cone+woodbridge+nj&source=bl&ots
=F-75ILoFW3&sig=gMBor3yl73XJd_0F2gyl9Zw8Bow&h
l=en#v=onepage&q=margaret%20cone%20woodbridge%20nj&f
=false

iii. Edward Shaffer, b. 1 July 1854; m. at Rahway, N.J., 13 Nov. 1878, Margarget Thornal Freeman, b. at Rahway 10 Jan. 1854, dau. of Jonathan and Mary (Thornal). Mr. Savage is a lawyer with offices in New York City and resides at Rahway. Children: 1. Helen, b. at Woodbridge, N.J., 4 Feb. 1881; m. at Rahway 10 Nov. 1904, Edward Kinne Cone, b. 19 Apr. 1867, son of Edward G. and Sarah Wakman (Kinne); three children. 2. Mary, b. at Woodbridge 18 Feb. 1887; d. at Perth Amboy, N.J., 15 July 1888.

October 14, 1966 Harriette Halloway Obituary

Possibly related to Anderegg/Cone Family of Colonia

to PGC Member Etheldreda Anderegg who lived in Colonia

http://www.wthpc.org/Colonia%20Tour.pdf

A unique part of Colonia is the "Colony," a
planned community that was first formed in
the 1890s through the work and development
of several businessmen from New York, and
through the dedication and sense of unity
among its residents grew to acquire its present
place within the township. The making of
modern Colonia is partly due to the
work of several families in the Colony,
without whom the town would likely not have
progressed into the community that it is
today. The Cone, Savage, and Pattison families
were all residents of Colonia whose influence
and commitment had immense impact on the
creation and history of the community.
As Houghtenville, the area was originally
comprised of farm and woodland, and the early
community was one of agriculture and
country life. It was country charm that first
attracted the Cones, a family from New York.
Following their arrival came the idea for a
small planned neighborhood of large country
homes distributed around a central golf course
and clubhouse. The Cones invited their city
friends to become a part of this neighborhood,
the Colony, by advertising Colonia as an ideal
place of beauty and relaxation that was within
an easy commuting distance to their businesses
in New York City. The Cones' only son, Edward,
further developed the area by using this idea
to draw others to the community. In 1920,
Edward published a pamphlet on the attractions
of life in Colonia, enticing the readers with the
promise of "every modern convenience–
excepting trolley cars–combined with the
pleasure of living in real country and not a crowded suburb.

Kinnefort known as "The Trees"

Located on the corner of New Dover Road
and Colonia Boulevard, the Dutch Colonial
house known as Kinnekort (or Kennekort) was
built by Edward K. Cone, the name having come
from a surname on his mother's side of the
family. Edward Cone was the fourth child and
only son of the Cone family, who occupied the
residence known as "The Trees." A respected
member of the New York financial firm E.A. Pierce
& Co., as well as the president of the Cotton
Exchange, Cone was also a prominent figure in
Colonia. He became the driving force behind
the development of The Colony, first buying all
the available land between Belair, the house
owned by the Savage family, and Middlesex
Avenue. From this he chose the location for
Kinnekort, and in 1904 Cone brought his wife
Helen, the daughter of Edward S. Savage of
Belair, to live with him there.

Kinnekort served as more than just a family
residence during this time. Every Sunday
morning before church, Helen would gather the
local children and hold Sunday School there.
The Cones were known for their hospitality,
frequently hosting dinners and other social
events for the community. One such event was
a carnival that was held in the garden, referred
to as "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Originally
for the benefit of a club in Rahway that burned
down–the Ilderon Outing and Tennis Club–the
event was moved to Kinnekort, and is said to
have been attended by the entire Colony.
The Cones also employed a school teacher
to privately instruct their three daughters. The
young woman's name was Miss Edmunds, a
trained kindergarten teacher who came each
day from New York City. Soon other children
from Colonia, as well as some from Rahway,
came to attend the lessons, and Kinnekort
became known as the first local school, eventually
growing to such an extent that it had to
be moved into the garage. From the children
attending Kinnekort for school was formed
the first Girl Scout troop in Colonia, with Miss
Edmunds as the leader. They were called the
Pine Cone Troop, and started a scout movement
in the area, becoming Troop 1 of the
Rahway Girl Scouts Council.
Kinnekort played a major part in laying the
foundation for the community's strong sense of
unity. The house itself was once an important
social focal point of The Colony, and stands
today as a tangible memory of that time, and of
the family that so heavily influenced the shape
of the neighborhood around them.

The Trees

Still standing at 374 New Dover Road, "The
Trees" was the name given to this house, which
dates back to pre-Revolutionary times, and is
rumored to have been the target of a British raid
for supplies. Much smaller at the time it was
originally built, it was expanded to twice its size
by an early owner–a man named James Hora
who was in possession of considerable wealth,
as well as eight children. The house was then
owned by a gentleman by the name of H. S.
Moore, and eventually passed into the hands of
the Cone family.
The Cones left their New York City brownstone
and came to Colonia in search of a place
that would allow them the luxury of the quieter
countryside while still remaining close to the
city and its society. They found what they were
looking for, and in 1890 purchased the sixty-five
acre property known as The Trees. The family
consisted of Edward G. Cone, who had retired
from business in New York, his wife, an ailing
woman who died a short while later in 1894, and
their four children: Kate, Elizabeth, Grace, and
Edward.
The Cone family had a large amount of
influence in the development of the community,
but perhaps the most important detail that is
attributed to them is their involvement in
changing the name of the area to Colonia.
Formerly called "Houghtenville" after another
resident–a farmer named Mr. Houghten–the
Cones decided that the name was ill-suited to
the community. The middle daughter, Elizabeth,
went so far as to liken the sound of it to that of
hungry dogs. The current name of Colonia
was then selected from a map and, as it was
considered more pleasing to the idea of the
community that the Cones envisioned, they
worked to persuade the Pennsylvania Railroad
Company–whose station in the town officially
carried the name of Houtenville–to accept the
change as well.
It was in this house that the Cone family was
introduced to Colonia, the first step that would
lead to The Colony's future, and an important
part of the community's history as a whole.

Bridesmaid House Colonia, NJ

The Hedges Home, more commonly referred
to as the Bridesmaid House, stands at the
corner of Colonia Boulevard and Kent–now
New Dover–Road. The Cones invited many
of their friends and society acquaintances into
the neighborhood, as is exemplified here. This
house was constructed by a bridesmaid of
Helen Cone sometime in 1912, as a part of the
early "Colony" that Helen's husband, Ed Cone,
had developed. A nearby home, the Hull house,
was built around the same time by another of
Mrs. Cone's bridesmaids. This is the white
stucco house with French influences located at
550 New Dover Road.
By encouraging their friends to build in
Colonia and become a part of the Colony,
the Cones were able to effectively select the
inhabitants of the community and influence the
atmosphere around which it grew.

Colonia Country Club

Off of the Middlesex-Essex Turnpike, now
known as Colonia Boulevard, stands the
Colonia Country Club, an important landmark
around which much of the early community was
based. The club is over a hundred years old,
and is the 13th oldest golf club in New Jersey.
When, in 1897, Edward G. Cone and
Edward Savage became interested in golf,
they gathered together a few others who also
shared an appreciation for the pastime, and a
year later purchased fifty acres of farmland from
the Adamses. Twelve and a half acres of the
fifty were designated for the golf course, the
remaining thirty-eight acres having been
deemed unsuitable due to their location south
of the railroad. The course was designed by
a famous Scottish architect named Thomas
Benkelow. Over a thousand courses can be
attributed to Benkelow, who designed more
than any other architect in history, and in 1899
he laid out nine holes at Colonia. The course
was expanded to eighteen holes in 1923 by
Robert White, following the acquisition of
fifty-three acres of land on the west side of
New Dover Road.
Along with the original fifty acres of land
purchased for the purpose of creating a golf
course, the Adams' house, built in 1852, was
also acquired and became the members'
clubhouse. This residence was in use until
1966, at which time the clubhouse was moved
to its present location. Between 2001 and 2002
it underwent renovations expanding its size to
20,000 square feet, during which the ceiling
was raised and extended out, and an executive
meeting room was installed.
The club was officially founded in 1898 by
its first directors, including Edward Savage,
Edward G. Cone, and Frank Pattison from
Colonia. In 1901 the club applied for membership
to the U.S. Golf Association. Some of the
amenities that the club is in possession of today
include a driving range, putting green, half-way
house, and an Olympic sized swimming pool. It
is still host to a variety of functions, and remains
a focal point of the community.

Colonia Country Club

Colonia Country Club

House of Four Winds Colonia, NJ

The first house to be built on the land
developed by the Cones known as "The
Colony," the House of Four Winds was purchased
by Frank and Mary Pattison. It is the
Pattisons, and Mary in particular, who contribute
most of the historical significance that is associated
with this house. Mary Pattison was born in
Brooklyn in 1869 to Diantha Fitch and George
William Hart, and spent her childhood in New
Brunswick and then Metuchen before marrying
Frank Pattison in 1893. Frank, who studied
electrical engineering at Rutgers University, was
originally from New York City, and the couple
spent a short while there while Frank worked
alongside his brother Charles as a Consulting
Engineer. In 1908, two years after the birth of
their second child, the family moved again, this
time to Colonia.
Both Frank and Mary Pattison were
supporters of the Progressive Party–an early
twentieth century movement dedicated to
humanitarian causes, women's rights among
them. Mary served on its committee in 1912, and
became involved in various other organizations
dedicated to women's suffrage throughout her
lifetime. She was the president of the New Jersey
Federation of Women's Clubs, and in June of
1910 opened a State Housekeeping Experiment
Station in the building next door to her home,
called the "Maisonette," which still stands beside
the main house. The purpose of the experiment
station was to alleviate the many and various
domestic burdens traditionally encountered by
women during that time. To counter the strain
of endless housework the women tested different
sources of energy, such as electric motors,
to power some household appliances. Mary
believed that the same principles behind the
management of work through the progression of
science that existed in the world of industry
could be applied to the realm which the traditional
woman at that time inhabited. To compensate
for the increased workload women faced
due to the decline of servants, who had begun
to seek other professions, and the higher cost of
living, a main objective of the experiment station
was to discover the best method of performing a
task in the shortest amount of time, and with the
least amount of labor required.
In 1949 Mary Pattison wrote a book on
Colonia, the earliest written history of the town

Builder of the Anderegg Home, Colonia, lived at Cone House

Note for: James Hora, 1 OCT 1781 - 21 NOV 1852 Index
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Burial:
Date: 23 NOV 1852
Place: Rahway Cemetery, Rahway, Union County, New Jersey

Name Note: Source: Notes from Anne Vail, taken from a family Bible, Date of Import: Jul 24, 1999. This compiled various names and dates regarding the Hora Family, marriages and children.

Individual Note:
These notes about the Hora family were taken from notes from Anne Vail.
The Hora's probably descended from Spaniards wrecked in the Armada. A variant on the family name would have been Hoare. Rumor had it that James Hora left Ireland because of his choice of a wife. A copy of their ship's captains receipt says, "Received, Warren Point, April, 11, 1801, from James Hora, nine guineas for his passage together with his wife, April 6, 1801. (they finding their own provisions on the 'Penelope' for New Castle or New York. Signed Obadiah Cosgrove.
From an indenture mortgage foreclosure dated 1813 James was a tailor. He and his sons owned many stores in a very well expressed letter from New Orleans, dated 1849, he speaks of his store on Canal Street there.
In 1843 James wrote to Margaret Kennedy in Warington Downe, Ireland, speaking of his family. He was then in Rahway but building a house in New York, because his family did not like the country, where they came originally to avoid the pestilence of New York. He lived in the old Kate Cone house in Colonia, built the Anderegg House across the street, and several other houses in Rahway. He died Nov 21, 1852 at 71 years old.
In searching the death records for Rahway, Union County, New Jersey for the time frame of James death, nothing was found to substantiate that he actually died in Rahway. He is however buried in Rahway Cemetery. He may have died in Colonia, New Jersey, or in New York City, where it is believed he also owned a home.
His Last Will and testament gives a great deal of information concerning James Hora. He was a man of considerable wealth and owned numerous properties in New York City and also in Rahway, N.J. which he left to various children.

The dates for birth of James Hora and Mary Kennedy came from a book "DuBose Genealogy" Supplement , 1980, and have not been confirmed.

From a certificate currently in possession of Mrs. Donald Slappey of Birmingham, Alabama, James Hora was naturalized as a United States Citizen dated September 12, 1809 in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

New York Times Obituary May 12, 1900

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F70B14F8355515738DDDAB0994DD405B808CF1D3

CONE - On Friday, May 11, 1900, at Colonia, N.J., Sarah Kinne, wife of Edward G. Cone. Funeral Monday on arrival of train leaving New York at 11 o'clock, Pennsylvania R. R.

New York Times Obituary August 20, 1921 Elizabeth Cone Lyons

LYONS – Elizabeth Cone Lyons, wife of Arthur Maitland Lyons and daughter of Edward G. and the late Sarah Kinne Cone, at San Antonio, Texas. Funeral services will be held at Colonia, N. J., Saturday, at 2:30 P. M. Train for Colonia leaves Pennsylvania Station 1:15 daylight savings time.

New York Times Obituary June 17, 1916 Grace Cone

CONE – On Thursday, June 15, 1916, Grace, daughter of Edward G. Cone and the late Sarah Kinne Cone. Funeral services at 2:30 P. M. Saturday from her late residence, The Trees, Colonia, N. J.

American Homes and Gardens 1908

http://books.google.com/books?id=algiAQAAMAAJ&pg=PP9&lpg
=PP9&dq=kinnekort+colonia+nj&source=bl&ots
=_GZ8T7ytbG&sig=KEQ6zPTqk1boMljktfgEukRWHCQ&hl
=en#v=onepage&q=kinnekort%20colonia%20nj&f=false

Large article with many photos (begins on page 268) titled "Kinnekort" The Residence of Edward K. Cone, Esq., at Colonia, New Jersey
by Paul Thurston

Photo of the house titled: A Quaint New-Old House Above a Stream

Plainfield Public Library Archive

1940

The International Garden Club has announced a pilgrimmage to three old houses and gardens, also for British relief. The Bartow Mansion at Pelham Bay, N. Y., now the clubhouse of the International Garden Club, will be opened Wednesday, as will be Bolton Priory in Pelham Manor and High Low House in Greenwich, Conn.

Thursday, May 22, the Rahway unit of the British War Relief Society will sponsor a Garden Tour. Open Gardens include those of Mrs. John Garderegg [Anderegg] of Colonia, a member of the Plainfield Garden Club; Mrs. Edward K. Cone of Colonia, whose daughter , Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd, also is a member of the

Plainfield Public Library Archive

**Date unknown. Post-1955

STUDY ROSES IN DESIGN – Members of the committee planning the Rose Garden Center of the Plainfield Garden Club admire some examples of china and fabric in rose design. Mrs. Francis P. Day (left) co-chairman, looks on while Mrs. Robert McLeod, poster chairman, holds a china plate and Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, co-chairman and Mrs. William P. Elliott, head of rose collections, unfold some fabric. The center will be open to the public at the Plainfield Public Library from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Plainfield Public Library Archive

Plainfield Public Library Archive

1954

GARDEN CLUB TO HOLD FAIR – Mrs. Webster Sandford, special events chairman, sets marker for display of the Plainfield Garden Club Fair May 14-15 at Crescent and Park Aves. Looking on (left to right) are Mrs. Edward H. Ladd, windowbox arrangements; Mrs. H. I. Flanders, plant materical chairman; Mrs. Victor King, club president, and Mrs. Morris F. Benton, fair chairman.

1951 Check Book

No, 901
June 12, 1951
Margaret C. Ladd
Annual Meeting registration
$23.00

1952 Check Book

No. 964
June 27, 2952
Margaret Cone Ladd
registration for regional meeting
$10.00

No. 965
June 27, 1952
Helen Eaton
registration for regional meeting
$10.00

No. 966
June 27, 1952
Virginia Stillman
registration for annual meeting
$1.50

1953 Check Book

No. 997
Mar. 31, 1953
Margaret C. Ladd
Exhibitor at Flower show
$12.50

No. 998
Mar. 31, 1953
Marion Loizeaux
Exhibitor at flower show
$12.50

No. 999
Mar. 31, 1953
Virginia Stillman
Exhibitor Flower Show
$12.50

1954 Check Book

No. 1105
May 27, 1954
William Saville
palnts for around department
VOID
$18.24

No. 1106
May 27, 1954
William Saville
annuals and tomatoes
$22.14

No. 1107
June 2, 1954
Margaret C. Ladd
expenses for Fair
$1.50

1956 Check Book

No. 1204
May 10, 1956
Margaret C. Ladd
reimbursement for bill of
Park Sec. Service
48 letters typed for
Rose Garden Center
$14.50

1956 Check Book

No. 1215
Margaret C. Ladd
janitor fee
Rose Center
$5.00

1958 Check Book

No. 1284
Jan. 11, 1958
Margery C. Ladd
Expenses for H. R. Halloway
awards
$8.12

1958 Check Book

No. 1307
May 26, 1958
Margaret C. Ladd
drawings (windowboxes)
$10.00

1947 Check Book

No. 639
Apr 1, 1947
Margaret C. Ladd
Budget (flower show exhibitions)
$10.00

1947 Check Book

No. 675
Nov. 19, 1947
Margaret C. Ladd
Conservation
luncheon
Misc.
$6.00

1948 Check Book

No. 700
Mar. 9, 1948
Margaret C. Ladd
Flower Show
Exhibitions
$10.00

No. 701
Mar. 9, 1948
Dorothy V. de Hart
Flower Show
Exhibitions
$10.00

No. 702
Mar. 9, 1948
Margaret Tyler
Flower Show
Exhibitions
$10.00

1948 Check Book

No. 706
Mar. 30, 1948
Harold J. Morse
Photograph Bird
Window
Conservation
$4.00

No. 707
Apr. 1, 1948
Elizabeth B. Dunbar
Bird Window
Conservation
$2.00

No. 708
Apr. 1, 1948
Margaret C. Ladd
Bird Window
Conservation
$10.72

1948 Check Book

No. 712
April 28, 1948
Ethel T. Anderegg
Flower Show Exhibition
extra money taken from Mrs. Anderegg's contribution of 33.25
$13.30

No. 713
April 28, 1948
Dorothy V. de Hart
Flower Show Exhibitor
extra as alone
$6.65

No. 714
April 28, 1948
Margaret C. Ladd
Flower Show Exhibitor
Extra as alone
$6.65

1948 Check Book

No. 721
June 18, 1948
The Union County Park
Commission
Dogwood
$16.94

No. 722
July 19, 1948
Doane's (Nursery)
(Shakespeare Garden)
$6.25

No. 723
July 19, 1948
Margaret C. Ladd
Annual Meeting expenses
$90.00

1948 Check Book

No. 730
Sept. 9, 1948
Harriette R. Halloway
Iris Garden
$25.00

No. 731
Oct. 19, 1948
Interstate Printing Corporation
Postals for Sec.
Printing & Postage
$34.25

No. 732
Oct. 19, 1948
Interstate Printing Corp.
Painting tickets
Madame Arai Benefit

In left margin:

Dues – Munger – Hubbell $25.00
Dues (Mrs. Mead) $15.00
less Mrs. E. H. Ladd's ck
deposit in November -9.00

1948 Check Book

No. 739
Oct. 30. 1948
Garden Club of America
Dues for
45 active members
22 associate members
$350.00

No. 740
Dec. 1, 1948
Mrs. Chester Wallace
xmas greens for Kilmer
war services account
$25.00

No. 741
Dec. 1, 1948
Garden Club of America
National Arboreteum
$10.00

In left margin:

Nov. 3, 1948
actual deposit of $128.20
$9 Mrs. E. H. Ladd's okomittes?
from previous deposit

1949 Check Book

No. 751
Feb. 9, 1949
The Garden Club of
New Jersey
Dues
$10.00

No. 752
Feb. 9, 1949
Margaret C. Ladd
Conservation Committee
expenses
$20.35

No. 753
Feb. 9, 1949
Marjory B. Elliott
Program Committee
$5.55

1949 Check Book

No. 757
March 8, 1949
Interstate Printing Corp.
membership sheets
Printing
$7.25

No. 758
March 30, 1949
National Audubon Society
Allen Cruikshank's lecture
Program
$75.00

No. 759
April 1, 1949
Margaret C. Ladd
Conservation Committee
Film 10.90 pamphlets 3.51 Bird exhibit 5.45
Tel. 2.54 Seeds for Schools 7.25
$29.65

In left margin:
Apr. 7 Dues (Halloway) 10.00

1949 Check Book

No. 775
May 10, 1949
The Union County Park Commission
Dogwood
$8.30

No. 776
June 10, 1949
Mr. Kroll
State Teachers College
for Conservation Workshop
for Mrs. Helen Brown &
Miss Miriam Doyle
$50.00

No. 777
June 10, 1949
Margaret Ladd
$7 compost pile pamphlets
5.48 express on Conserv. Devon ? station boxes
$12.48

1949 Check Book

No. 784
June 21, 1949
Margaret Ladd
N. Y. Flower Show Exhibitor
$7.00

No. 785
June 21, 1949
Marion Loizeaux
N. Y. Flower Show Exhibitor
$7.00

No. 786
June 21, 1949
Susan Tyler
N. Y. Flower Show Exhibitor
2 exhibits
$14.00

1949 Check Book

No. 805
Ethel Anderegg
tip Frank 5.00
wire 1.75
string 1.75
ribbon 2.00
10.50
xmas wreaths
$10.50

No. 806
Dec. 6, 1949
J. D. Loizeaux
Bird feeder at Bonnie Burn
(taken from Conservation – for caups?)
$21.10

No. 807
Dec. 6, 1949
Margaret C. Ladd
exp. on museum foxes 2.72
dues civid planning ass 2.50
circulars for schools 4.00
9.22
Bird feed for feeder 7.90
$17.12

1950 Check Book

No. 826
Mar. 31, 1950
Bishop's Camera Center
screen rental for
Alice Chauncey lecture on
Mar. 15 1950
$1.50

No. 827
Mar. 31, 1950
Margaret Ladd
reimbursement for money
spent on Water Conservation
exhibit in Plfd Public Library
$11.70

No. 828
Mar. 31, 1950
Courtland V. Davis
for film strips of the
Plainfield schools
$10 from spec. gift
15 from Conservation
$25.00

1950 Check Book

No. 856
Nov. 8, 1950
Plainfield Courier-News Co.
"Open Houses"
$6.30

No. 857
Nov. 8, 1950
Margaret C. Ladd
tel 5.75
R?? 2.57
Printing 1.00
$9.32
"Open Houses"

No. 858
Nov. 8, 1950
Snyder Bros.
Bridal Bouquet
"Open Houses"
$15.00

1951 Check Book

No. 883
Mar. 15, 1951
Margaret C. Ladd
N. Y. Flower Show
$10.00

No. 884
Mar. 15, 1951
Marjorie Elliott
N. Y. Flower Show
$10.00

No. 885
Mar. 15, 1951
Virginia Stillman
N. Y. Flower Show
$10.00

1995 September thru December Board Meeting Minutes

May 4, 2012

The Neighborhood Files'Colonia: the Colony' History Tour Sells Out Fast
History buffs will be visiting the historic mansions in the estate section of Colonia.

It's going to be history heaven this weekend for lovers of Woodbridge Township's rich historic past. The township's Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission is hosting a sold-out tour of points of interest in the Estate section of Colonia, including entry to some of the stately homes.

Thirteen historic sites will be included on the tour on Sunday, May 6. Originally known as Houghtenville from at least 1850, the name change to Colonia to make it more attractive was done by the Cone family in 1894.

The Cones, along with the Savage and Pattison families, developed the farms and trees of the area into a country retreat, a 'Colony' of monied, expatriate New Yorkers looking for a home away from the city. They planned a small enclave of country homes around a golf course and clubhouse, and invited their friends to join them.

The Cone family figures prominently in Colonia's history. Edward G. Cone helped found the Colonia Country Club - one of the stops on the tour - with the purchase of 50 acres of farmland for a golf course in 1897. Cone family members owned or built several of the historic houses on the tour: Kinnekort on the corner of New Dover Road and Colonia Boulevard; what turned into their family homestead, 'The Trees' on New Dover Road; the House of the Four Winds, the first house the family developed, which was purchased by the Pattison family.

In the 1920s, the Cone's only son, Edward, was continuing to spread the word about Colonia. In an effort to get more people to move to 'The Colony', he published a brochure extolling life in Colonia, where they'd enjoy "every modern convenience," minus a trolley.

Cone wanted prospects to experience "...the pleasure of living in real country, and not a crowded suburb," the brochure said.

These houses, and well as Babbling Brook and many others, are on the excursion agenda.

There will be two tours by bus, at 11:30 am and 2 pm, each lasting about two hours will leave from School #2 and #16 parking lot on Outlook and Fairviews Avenues in Colonia.

Related Topics: Babbling Brook, Colonia history tour, History, Neighborhood Files, and woodbridge historic preservation commission

Mrs. Ladd, Mrs. Tyler and Mrs. Holman

CHARTER MEMBER – Mrs. William S. Tyler, center, gets a corsage from Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd, chairman of the Plainfield Garden Club's 50th anniversary celebration, during a reception Saturday night at the Monday Afternoon Club. Mrs. Tyler is a charter member of the club. At right is Mrs. Wayne J. Holman, Jr., club president. (Photo by Ted Fogel)

PLAINFIELD GARDEN CLUB MARKS 50TH ANNIVERSARY

The Plainfield Garden Club observed its 50th anniversary Saturday night with a reception at the Monday Afternoon Club. A pictorial history of the club's activities highlighted the evening.

Several past presidents and two charter members, Mrs. Willam S. Tyler and Miss Josephine Lapsley, were among the honored guests.

Members and their husbands were welcomed by Mrs. Wayne J. Holman Jr., president, and Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd, chairman of the celebration and a past president.

Others serving a hostesses were former presidents Mrs. Leslie R. Fort, Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler, Mrs. J. Webster Sandford and Mrs. Frederick M. Lockwood. Mrs. Alden deHart and Mrs. Victor R. King, also past presidents, were hostesses at the coffee table.

Mrs. William P. Elliott and Mrs. David S. Foster, decorations chairmen, carried out the anniversary theme with yellow table cloths and golden urns arranged with flowers dipped in gold. Two white alabaster urns filled with red roses adorned the entrance hallway, and the buffet table featured two decorated 5-branch candelabra and a tiered anniversary cake.

The pictorial history, planned and executed by Mrs. Lockwood, included movies of club members taken many years ago by the late Leslie R. Fort. Slides showed such club activities as the planting of the Moraine locust trees in Park Ave., the planting around the YWCA., and the Salvation Army buildings, window boxes on downtown buildings, the Cornus collection and the Shakespeare and iris gardens in Cedar Brook Park.

A challenge class, in which husbands of six members participated, was directed by Mrs. Lawrence S. Heely. Alden R. Loosli was declared the winner of the arrangement competition.

The Plainfield Garden Club is a member of the Garden Club of America and the Garden Club of New Jersey.

Marge, Ethel & Elsa

Ladd, Mrs. Edward H. III (Margaret or "Marge" Cone) '39

Tyler, Mrs. William Seymour (Ethel Van Boskerck) '15

Holman, Mrs. Wayne J. (Elsa Ezell), Jr. '58

1965 Mrs. Ladd

1938-1939 Meeting Minutes

March , 1948

Title:
New York Flower Show [slide]
Forms part of:
Garden Club of America Collection,
Phy. Description:
1 slide: glass lantern, col.; 3 x 5 in.
Digital Reference:

Produced:
03/08/1948
General Note:
No Names for Picture. Class 1 - Picture. Mass arrangement in pastel tones. 1st prize, Mrs. Edward Ladd III, Plainfield, N. J.
Restrictions:
Access to original images by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Archives of American Gardens encourages the use of its archival materials for non-commercial, educational and personal use under the fair use provision of U.S. copyright law. Use or copyright restrictions may exist. It is incumbent upon the researcher to ascertain copyright status and assume responsibility for usage. All requests for duplication and use must be submitted in writing and approved by Archives of American Gardens.
Subject-Topical:
Spring
Flower shows
Flower arrangement
Subject - Geographical:
New York (State) – New York City
United States of America New York New York
Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Gardens, PO Box 37012, Capital Gallery, Suite 3300, MRC 506, Washington, DC 20013-7012
Local Number:
NY208061
Co-Creator:
Cassebeer, F. W.

March 31, 1949

Title:
New York Flower Show [slide]
Forms part of:
Garden Club of America Collection,
Phy. Description:
1 slide: glass lantern, col.; 3 x 5 in.
Digital Reference:

Produced:
03/21/1949
General Note:
No Names for Picture. Class 1 - Picture - Arrangement showing rhythum in color and line. Mrs. Edward H. Ladd III, Plainfield, NJ.
Restrictions:
Access to original images by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Archives of American Gardens encourages the use of its archival materials for non-commercial, educational and personal use under the fair use provision of U.S. copyright law. Use or copyright restrictions may exist. It is incumbent upon the researcher to ascertain copyright status and assume responsibility for usage. All requests for duplication and use must be submitted in writing and approved by Archives of American Gardens.
Subject-Topical:
Spring
Flower arrangement
Flower shows
Subject - Geographical:
New York (State) – New York City
United States of America New York New York
Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Gardens, PO Box 37012, Capital Gallery, Suite 3300, MRC 506, Washington, DC 20013-7012
Local Number:
NY208084
Co-Creator:
Cassebeer, F. W.

March 1947 Mrs. Ladd's entry

Title:
New York Flower Show [slide]
Forms part of:
Garden Club of America Collection,
Phy. Description:
1 slide: glass lantern, col.; 3 x 5 in.
Digital Reference:

Produced:
03/00/1947
General Note:
No Names for Picture. "Moderate Cost Room, Tues., Cost little or nothing Tues." Occasional table, 1st prize, Mrs. E. H. Ladd, III, Plainfield, N. J.
Restrictions:
Access to original images by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Archives of American Gardens encourages the use of its archival materials for non-commercial, educational and personal use under the fair use provision of U.S. copyright law. Use or copyright restrictions may exist. It is incumbent upon the researcher to ascertain copyright status and assume responsibility for usage. All requests for duplication and use must be submitted in writing and approved by Archives of American Gardens.
Subject-Topical:
Spring
Flower shows
Flower arrangement
Subject - Geographical:
New York (State) – New York City
United States of America New York New York
Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Gardens, PO Box 37012, Capital Gallery, Suite 3300, MRC 506, Washington, DC 20013-7012
Local Number:
NY208317
Co-Creator:
Cassebeer, F. W.

1965 50th Anniversary of the Garden Club

David Foster (husband of Mrs. David Scott (Constance Elena Titus) Foster '46 and Mrs. Edward H. III (Margaret or "Marge" Cone) Ladd '41, President 1951 - 1953, 1962 - 1964

1965 50th Anniversary of the Garden Club

Founding Member Mrs. William S. (Ethel Van Boskerck) '15 cuts the 50th anniversary cake as Marge Cone Ladd, on the right, looks on.

1965 50th Anniversary of the Garden Club

Mrs. Ladd, Mrs. Tyler and Mrs. Holman

Mrs. Tyler is being honored as a founding member of the Club.

1965 50th Anniversary of the Garden Club

Mrs. Ladd, Mrs. Holman and two other ladies

Mrs. Ladd

at the Monday Afternoon Club, 1965
50th Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club

Courier News Index

Ladd Edward H., Jr.4/30/1942Obituary
Ladd Edward H., Jr.5/1/1942News

Ladd Edward Homer, III 10/14/1939 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 9/25/1940 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 3/8/1941 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 5/7/1941 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 5/26/1942 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 11/18/1944News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 4/5/1945 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 10/26/1948 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 10/4/1961 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 9/22/1966 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 1/23/1968 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 3/12/1971 Clipping (nonCN)
Ladd Edward Homer, III 2/13/1978 News
Ladd Edward Homer, III 5/12/1982 Obituary

Ladd Howard M.10/23/1970 Obituary
Ladd Kate Macy 8/28/1945 Obituary
Ladd Kate Macy 9/13/1945 News
Ladd Kate Macy 12/4/1946 News
Ladd Kate Macy 2/25/1948 News
Ladd Kate Macy 10/14/1959 News

Ladd Walter Graeme wife Kate Macy 12/4/1946 News
Ladd Walter Graeme wife Kate Macy 2/25/1948 News
LaddWalter Graeme wife Kate Macy 10/14/1959 News

1954 - 1970 296 Images from Plainfield Library Scrapbook

May 21, 1954

April 16, 1954

April 16, 1954

1958

Caption: GARDEN CLUB GIFT – Mrs. Albert L. Stillman, chairman of the Shakespeare committee of the Plainfield Garden Club, places identification card on English hawthorne in Cedar Brook Park. Watching, left to right, are: Mrs. Morris S. Benton, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd and Mrs. C. Sidney Trewin, club members. (Coronet, Photo by E. T. Wiggins)

100 Attend Open House at Shakespeare Garden

About 100 persons attended an informal tour of the Shakespeare Garden in Cedar Brook Park yesterday afternoon. The outdoors open house marked the 30th anniversary of the garden, one of about a dozen in the United States.

Mrs. Robert F. MacLeod of 11 Brook Lane, president of the Plainfield Garden Club, and members of the club's Shakespeare committee, headed by Mrs. Albert L. Stillman of 73 Leland Ave., described to visitors the 100-odd varieties of plants and shrubs in the garden.

The Garden Club, the Shakespeare Club and the Union County Park Commission established the garden 30 years ago. It now consists of 17 beds and two long borders in a park area of about 150 by 40 feet, located off Randolph Rd.

The ideas was to include all the plants and shrubs – there are 44 of them, Mrs. Stillman said – mentioned by Shakespeare in his plays and sonnets.

Other Plants Included

But the garden was so large, Mrs. Stillman said, that it was agreed upon to include other plant varieties in the 16th and 17th Centuries.

All of the 44 varieties mentioned in the bard's works are labeled by markers, which include the particular Shakespearean quotations referring to them.

The garden was laid out 30 years ago by a landscape architect from Olmsted Brothers of Boston. The Garden Club and the Park Commission split the cost. The garden is cared for by a Park Commission gardener, and supplemental work is done by the Garden Club's Shakespeare committee.

Mrs. Samuel T. Carter Jr. of 940 Woodland Ave., the club's first Shakespeare committee chairman was unable to attend the outdoors open house yesterday.

Termed "Second Finest"

Mrs. Carter, author of the book, "Shakespeare Gardens," has termed the Plainfield garden the second finest in the nation. She has said top honors belong to a Shakespeare garden in Rockefeller Park in Cleveland, Ohio. Established in 1915, the Cleveland garden was one of the first to be planted in the United States.

Mrs. Stillman said Shakespeare gardens bring together flowers grown in England in one period of garden history from being lost to U.S. gardens. The projects also add beauty to public parks and provide a place where Shakespeare poetry is illustrated with living plants and shrubs.

Mrs. Stillman's Shakespeare committee includes Mrs. Morris F. Benton, Mrs. C. Sidney Trewin, Mrs. Victor R. King, Mrs. William P. Elliott and Mrs. George J. His.

Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd, horticultural chairman of the club, was also among those who pointed out features of the garden to guests.

The hospitality committee included Mrs. Henry DeForest, Mrs. Benton, Mrs. Ladd, Mrs. His and Mrs. King.

Punch was served by Mrs. William P. Elliott, Mrs. Trewin and Mrs. His.

1958 Mrs. Ladd

April 20, 1961 10 Years Ago, 1951

Mrs. Edward H. Ladd was elected president of the Plainfield Garden Club in the home of Mrs. J. Harold Loizeaux of Cooper Rd.

May 21, 1959

April 17, 1963

Left to right: Mrs. Hayward F. Day; Mr. Charles Detwiller, Mrs. Edward H. Ladd and Mr. Paul Westergard

April 17, 1963 Mrs. Edward H. Ladd

April 23, 1965 Garden Club History Reviews Past 50 Years

A history of the Plainfield Garden Club was presented to members Wednesday by Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd at the club's annual meeting in the home of Mrs. Edgar F. Davis, 1080 Rahway Rd. Mrs. Alexander Kroll was co-hostess.

The history has been published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Garden Club, which was formed in 1915.

The first part of the history was written by a charter member, now deceased, Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck. The second part, covering the years from 1940-1965, was written by Mrs. Gerald Furman, and highlights the accomplishment of all the departments of the club.

Special emphasis is given to the three continuing projects: the Shakespeare Garden started in 1927; the Dogwood Collection, sponsored since 1946; and the Iris Garden begun in 1932; all in Cedar Brook Park. These three gardens have received national recognition and many awards for excellence.

The Union County Park Commission has just named the dogwood planting, "The Harriette R. Halloway Cornus Collection," in appreciation of the club's many years of service to park activities. Miss Halloway, 90, is the Garden Club's oldest living member and an authority on cornus and iris.

Mrs. Edwin J. Fitzpatrick, nominating chairman, present the slate of officers which was elected as follows: President, Mrs. Wayne J. Holman Jr.; first vice president, Mrs. David Sanders; second vice president, Mrs. F. Gregg Burger; treasurer, Mrs. William K. Dunbar Jr.; recording secretary, Mrs. C. Northrup Pond; and corresponding secretary, Mrs. C. Benson Wigton Jr.

Mrs. Holman and Mrs. Sandford will attend the annual meeting of the Garden Club of America in Cleveland, Ohio from May 10-14. Mrs. Holman will present a resume of recent program given by members of the Plainfield Club on the botanical background of the mallow plant family.

Mrs. John Wells of Valley Road, Watchung, said the club will again give scholarships to the Audubon summer camps or the N. J. State School of Conservation at Stokes Forest, as has been done since 1941. School teachers and scout leaders are eligible to apply for the scholarships.

A colored movie, entitled "Wings Over Blitzen," was shown, picturing wildlife in its natural state in the Malheur Wildlife Refuge near Burns, Ore.

Tea followed the meeting. Mrs. C. Benson Wigton and Mrs. Blanche P. Nash presided at the tea table, which was decorated with an arrangement of white spring flowers.

Tuesday, September 28, 1965 Courier News

The Plainfield Garden Club will celebrate its 50th anniversary at a formal reception at the Monday Afternoon Club at 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd is general chairman.

Invitations have been sent to all members and their husbands, according to Mrs. Homer P. Cochran, invitations chairman.

Other chairmen are: Hospitality, Mrs. David F. Sanders; decorations, Mrs. William P. Elliott and Mrs. David S. Foster; and program, Mrs. Frederick M. Lockwood.

The Plainfield Garden CLub was organized in 1915 by 48 charter members under the leadership of the late Mrs. Frank O. herring. its primary concern, today as then, is to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening among its members and to encourage interest in horticulture, conservation and civic planning and planting.

The Shakespeare Garden, Iris Garden and Cornus collection in Cedar Brook Park are several of the many civic projects initiated by the club.

1974-1975 Directory

March 25, 1966

This letter was found in the Archives of Barbara Tracy Sandford

April 24, 1952 State Highway Department

1949-1950 Program

This small brochure was found in the bottom of a box belonging to Barbara Tracy Sandford '50. 12/22/13

1949-1950 Program

Monday Afternoon Club Membership