Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Dunbar, Mrs. William K., Jr. (Elizabeth or "Libby" Hail Barlow) '47

Parents home: 930 Woodland Avenue, Plainfield

1946 - 1947 Treasurer Book, Active: The name "Dunbar" is written with no date of payment listed.

1947 - 1948 Treasurer Book, Active: Dunbar, Mrs. W. K. Jr. June 28, 1947 June 30, 1948 July 1, 1949 June 30, 1950, June 1951 June 1952

1952 Address: Rahway Road

1970 Address: East Avenue, Bay Head
NOTE: Listed as a "Sustaining Member"

1973 - 1978 Address: 694 East Avenue, Bay Head
Sustaining Member

1984 - 1985: Affiliate
1986 - 1987: Resigned

Daughter-in-law of Mrs. William K. Dunbar '17

Sister of Mrs. Seymour Perkins, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49

Most likely related to Mrs. George T. Moody '22

Mrs. Douglas C. (Anne Dunbar) Yearley '78 is Mrs. WIlliam K. Dunbar, Jr' '47 daughter. Her 1980 address is 418 Alden Avenue, Westfield.

Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr. '47

photo circa 1950

Mrs. William K. Dunbar Jr. '47

back of photo

May 16, 1967 A Garden Walk by Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr.

May 16, 1967 A Garden Walk by Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr.
Published in the November 1968 GCA Bulletin

A GARDEN WALK
MRS. W1LLIAM K. DUNBAR, JR.
Plainfield Garden Club

A STATE OF LETHARGY is a very comfortable state and the State of
New Jersey is a very beautiful State in spring, and the the Plainfield
Garden Club basked in both for many years. Members chatted
occasionally about "Open Houses and Gardens" but quickly changed
the subject at thought of the work involved. Finally, however, the
bank account of the Community Fund screamed for money and the
Board had to listen. One spring day in 1967 a brainstorm hit the
Board. There were six club members living on the same side of a
country road. Not all of the properties adjoined, but all could be
reached without walking on the road by wandering through three
gardens, walking through a small woods and crossing a field into three
more gardens. So was conceived the idea of a Garden Walk.

It was decided to open five houses, one playhouse, and six gardens.
The walk was taken by several members, who took note what had to
be done to make it feasible. The distance was a little more than a
quarter of a mile, all down hill. Jitney service, provided by some of the
members would bring the visitors back up the hill. A plant sale, herb
sale, decoupage sale and lunch would be set up at the next to last
house, an 18th century farmhouse with an old barn, green-hcuse with
attached shed, and a lawn large enough for a marquee. May 16 was the date finally selected, as everyone agreed that the tulips were then at their best. The members went to work. Potpourri, herb jellies and vinegars were 'made. A group took a course in decoupage and turned out handsome boxes, trays etc. Journeys were made far and near in search of unusual plants. Lunch menus were tested and wines were tasted, landscape improvements were made. Miniature antiques and dolls were collected for the playhouse and outstanding exhibitors from nearby clubs were asked to make arrangements in the five houses.

Spring came, the most beautiful any of us could remember. Daffodils
bloomed and almost simultaneously tulips bloomed, dogwood
bloomed, apple trees bloomed-but all in the month of April!

25

Woe unto us. There was nothing we could do but keep mowing.the
lawns. Over 400 tickets had been sold for the walk and 250 limited
tickets sold for the lunch. Great concentration then went into the
houses: crystal was carried from one end of town to another for a
formal dinner setting at one house, Canton china was toted down the
road to go on shelves in a kitchen on view. Husbands' favorite cbairs
were put in the attic and flower arrangements were substituted for
pipe racks.

The great day dawned, only there was no dawn, just heavy clouds.
At 10: 15 It began to ram. We moved tables under the marquee,
mumbling to ourselves. At 10:45 the rain stopped and it stopped all
day until 5: 15 when the show was over.

The visitors came, raved about the show, loved the walk through the
woods and the field, ate every bit of lunch, bought all of the
decoupage, the herbs and the plants, and flattered us with kind
remarks as we drove them back up the hill. The gardens were
beautiful, some of the tulips and some of the dogwood had the decency to stay open. The azaleas came out in all their glory, especially the wild ones in the woods. So all in all our Garden Walk was a great success and the bank account of the Community Fund is purring contentedly.

Visit www.gcamerica.org and link to the entire publication:

http://www.gcamerica.org/membersonly/docs/gca_bulletins/blt_196811_6-2.pdf

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 8

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 9

Dewitt Dukes Barlow, father of Elizabeth Hail Barlow

Dewitt Dukes Barlow, engineer, was born in Philadelphia, October 4, 1880, son of Thomas Arnold and Elizabeth Dukes Barlow.
His first paternal American ancestor was George Barlow, who came from England about 1637 or earlier and settled in Boston. From him and his wife, Jane Besse, the descent is through Nathan and Mary ____; Peleg and Elizabeth Perry; Thomas and Mehitable Wing; Jesse, a minute-man at the Lexington alarm, and Sarah Nye, and Arnold and Ann Brittin, the grandparents of DeWitt Dukes Barlow. His father was a builder, who died when his son was eight years old.

He received his preparatory education in the Philadelphia public schools, and won a scholarship to the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated B.S., cum laude in civil engineering in 1901, having been awarded high honors in mathematics and English, and having been elected to Sigma Xi.

In 1901-02, he was a draftsman with the American Bridge Co. He was engineer for the Cape May (NJ) Real Estate Co. in 1902-03 and city engineer of Cape May in 1903-04. In 1905 he joined the Atlantic, Gulf & Pacific Co. of New York city as engineer. He became secretary of the company in 1910, secretary and treasurer in February 1911, and vice president in August 1911. From February 1921 until his death he was president of the company. This company engaged in engineering and contracting, particularly in river and harbor improvements and land reclamation by hydraulic dredging. It was one of the outstanding organizations in the industry and made many contributions toward improvement in the art of hydraudlic dredging. Besides being president and director of this company, he was president of the North Atlantic Dredging Co., the National Association of River and Harbor Contractors and the Dredge Owners Protective Association. He was chairman of the emergency dredging committee in 1917 and associate chief of the dredging section of the War Industries Board in 1918. In 1909-10 he was assistant professor of engineering at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. Active in the civic affairs of Plainfield, NJ, he was a member of the common council in 1922-23, of the board of health in 1923-24. and of the board of education from 1924-1937, being president of the last-named board during 1927-1937. From 1937 to 1939, he was mayor of Plainfield. As a member of the board of education he was active in promoting the expansion of the school system to meet the needs of the community and contributed much to the planning and building of the Maxson and Hubbard schools as well as additions to the Emerson and high school buildings and later an addition to the Maxson school building. He was particularly responsible for the expansion of the music activities in the public schools, and it was due entirely to him that the efficient music curriculum was developed in the Plainfield schools. In recognition of his contributions to the public schools and to civic life generally the board of education named for him the Barlow School. During his term as mayor, Barlow found that many municipalities throughout the state were not receiving their just apportionment of franchise and gross receipts taxes from public utility corporations, which should have been issued them by the state tax commission. He organized and headed a committee which had remedial legislation enacted to correct this injustice, thus gaining for many New Jersey towns a substantial increase in income.

In 1937 he was chairman of the New Jersey Citizens Committee for the Princeton Local Government Survey. Later he served on the advisory council of the School of Engineering of Princeton University, and as trustee of Union Junior College at Cranford, NJ. From February 1940 until his death he was chairman of the Plainfield- North Plainfield chapter of the American Red Cross. During United States participation in the Second World War, he was a member of the Enemy Alien Hearing Board No. 3 for the district of New Jersey.
A Presbyterian in religion, he was an elder and trustee of the Crescent Avenue Church, Plainfield.

In politics he was a Republican locally, but independant nationally, and he was a steadfast supporter of Franklin D. Roosevelt. He was a member of Freedom House. All his life he fought racial discrimination and was a warm friend of the colored people of Plainfield. For many years he taught Sunday school and contributed financially, to Bethel Chapel, a colored church in Plainfield.

His chief avocation was music. He played the flute and the cello and from 1925 until his death, was president of the Plainfield Symphony Society. He was a member of the board of directors of the Metropolitan Opera popular season in 1935-37. He was the author of "Notes on the Physics of Music" (1932), for which he made a fellow of the Royal Society of arts of London. His other interests included literature, travel and the study of languages and advanced mathematics, in which field he planned to do research when he retired from business.

For outdoor recreation he enjoyed golf, tennis, and mountain climbing. It was said of him that "there was no man or woman, of whatever class or creed, whom he saw as the victim of injustice or friend." He was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and University of Pennsylvania clubs in New York City, the Plainfield Engineers and Plainfield County clubs, the Madison (Connecticut) Beach Club and the Madison Country Club.

He was married in Philadelphia, May 16, 1905, to Elizabeth Hail, daughter of Carlton Montague Moody, of that city. They had six children:

1. Anne May, who married George Melville Shepherd, Jr.
2. Esther Moody, who married Seymour Perkins, Jr.
3. Elizabeth Hail, who married William Kuhn Dunbar, Jr.
4. DeWitt Dukes
5. Carlton Montague
6. Jean Lewis Barlow, who married William Ravenel Peelle.

He died in Plainfield New Jersey, September 23, 1945.

The National Cyclopedia of American Biography, contributed by Kent Barlow

Middle name either Elizabeth Hail Barlow or Elizabeth Hall Barlow

March 8, 2001 Westfield Leader obituary for William K. Dunbar, Jr.

Mrs. Elizabeth B. Dunbar, his wife of 68 years, surviving him.

Carlton M. Barlow, Mrs. Dunbar's brother, obituary

Barlow, Carlton M.
February 29, 2008

Carlton Montague Barlow of Essex, died on Tuesday (February 26, 2008), at the age of 91. He was the son of the late DeWitt Dukes Barlow and Elizabeth Moody Barlow. He was born on December 19, 1916 and raised in Plainfield, NJ where he lived for many years. He was educated in the Plainfield public schools, Phillips Exeter Academy (Class of '34), and Yale University (Class of '38). He earned a Master's Degree in History at Columbia University in 1939. After three years of private school teaching, Mr. Barlow entered business with Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation in the field of personnel. He later joined General Dynamics Corporation as Director of Personnel Development and, subsequently, Director of Administrative Services. When the company moved to St. Louis, Mr. Barlow moved to Essex where he spent two years in real estate sales before returning to New York as Director of Corporate Real Estate for Macmillan, Inc. He remained at Macmillan until retiring to Essex where he reentered real estate sales and became Vice President of McCulley Management and Realty. Mr. Barlow was past president of New York Personnel Management Assoc., a past officer of Eastern College Personnel Officers, a past trustee of the Essex Land Trust, The Historical Society and The Connecticut River Museum. He was formerly a member of The Plainfield Country Club, the Essex Yacht Club and the Madison Beach Club. He is survived by his son, Carlton M. Barlow, Jr. and his wife Leslie of Ivoryton, his daughter, Pamela L. Barlow of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, his son Christopher D. Barlow of Ft. Lauderdale, FL and his granddaughter Samantha W. Barlow. His wife, June Simms Barlow, predeceased him in 1996. He is also survived by two sisters: Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr. of Bayhead, N.J. and Mrs. William R. Peelle of West Hartford, many nieces and nephews, and his beloved companion, Barbara Maxwell. Renown for his civic mindedness and community spirit, Mr. Barlow was an active volunteer in many organizations throughout his lifetime. During his retirement years, he embraced many causes in the town of Essex including being a long time driver for FISH, a member of The Ancient Order of Essex Weeders, an honorary member of the Essex Garden Club, a dedicated volunteer of the Connecticut River Museum and the Essex Historical Society, and a conservator of the Essex Land Trust. He will be remembered fondly, by many as the man who for years, while on his daily walks, picked up debris in an effort to preserve the beauty of his community. A Memorial Service will be held in the spring. In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may be made to the Essex Land Trust, P. O. Box 373, Essex, CT 06426 or The Essex Historical Society, P. O. Box 123, Essex, CT 06426. Arrangements by Robinson, Wright & Weymer Funeral Home, Centerbrook.

Update: 2010-12-19

See the 2010 archives for more information.

Anne Shepherd's memory of Elizabeth Barlow Dunbar

"No George Shepherd was not related. [Brother-in-law to Elizabeth Dunbar] I grew up living next door to Elizabeth Barlow Dunbar. Her daughter Anne Yearley was briefly a member of the PGC, maybe one year - what year I do not know

May 17, 1957 Club Commemorates Founding of Iris Garden

Caption: GARDEN MARKER VIEWED – Standing before the marker commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park are (left to right) Mrs. Frederick Lockwood, Victor B. King, Jr., John C. Wister, Mr. Richard Tracy and Miss Harriette R. Halloway, founder of this garden. (Courier photo by E. T. Wiggins)

The Plainfield Garden Club and guests yersterday dedicated the the entranceway of the of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park.

Miss Harriette R. Halloway, found of the garden and chairman of the garden of the Iris Garden [not legible] the project was started in 1932, was presented a medal by Mrs. Frederick M. Lockwood, president of the Garden Club.

The medal is [not legible] "from the grateful members of the Plainfield Garden Club Harriette R. Halloway founder and director of the Iris gardens of Cedar Brook Park, Plainfield, 1932 - 1957."

[Not legible] viewed a recently installed [not legible] tablet marking the anniversary of the garden.

"Excercise in Perfection"
Victor R. King, president of the Union County Park Commission, led the gathering [not legible] the garden display was "an excercise in perfection is [not legible]," he said.

The park commission provides the setting for the garden and have [not legible] in the project [not legible]

W. [not legible] Tracy, executive had of the Park Commission when the Iris Garden was started paid tribute to Miss Halloway for her "tireless work and painstaking effort."

Another speaker was Dr. John C. Wister of Swarthmore, Pa., president of the American Iris Society when the garden was started and author of [not legible] article about the garden in the current issue of the Journal of the New York Botanical Gardens.

Miss Halloway spoke briefly and [not legible] on the work of the [not legible] who care for the Iris Garden. She introduced Kenneth Smith, one of the largest contributors of plants to the garden [not legible]

Mrs. Lockwood presided at the program. Guests included members of [not legible] garden clubs and contributors to the garden.

The Iris Garden Committee includes Mrs. Morris E. Benton, Mrs. Alden de Hart, Mrs. Lockwood, Mrs. Donald E. Luce, Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr., Mrs. C. Northrop Pond, Mrs. Webster Sandford, Mrs. Arthur D. Seybold, Mrs. John R. Wells, Mrs. Willian G. Wigton, Mrs. Robert MacLeod, vice chairman, and Miss Halloway, chairman.

Special slides [not legible] for the chairman were Mrs. Charles A. Eaton, Jr., Mrs. F. Willoughby Frost ad Mrs. Edwin M. Treat, Jr.

Mrs. Victor M. King was chairman of the special committee assisted by Mrs. J. Harold Loizeaux, Mrs. E. B. Newberry, and Miss Margaret Tyler. Also cooperating were Mrs. N. C. Barnhart, Jr., Mrs. William P. Elliott, Mrs. Homer Cochran and Mrs. H. I. Flanders.

Hostesses (not legible)
Other hostesses were Mrs. William W. Coriell, Mrs. Leslie E. Fort, Mrs. William A. Holliday, Mrs. Richard M. Lawton, Mrs. Robert T. Stevens, Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler, Mrs. William S. Tyler. Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck and Mrs. Orville G. Waring.

The Iris Garden now has more than 1,800 named varieties properly labeled, representing all types of Iris and totaling more than 75,000 plants.

The main part of the garden is [not legible] caring Iris [not legible] and is expected to be is good blooms thorugh the rest of the month.

from the Corresponding Secretary file

not dated, presumed to be 1991

Elizabeth

These are the people who contributed to the PGC in memory of Betty Fitzpatrick.

One list is for your reference I guess letters need to be written.

One list is for the Fitzpatrick family Send it to the Sleepy Hollow address and I'm sure they will get it. Anne

from the Corresponding Secretary file

1635 Forest Hill Road

Plainfield Public Library
Detwiller Archives
http://collections.plainfieldlibrary.info/
collections_browser/search;collection=
blueprints/search_results;architect=
detwiller;collection=blueprints;_page=
7/blueprint;id=4212;num=158/


Collection Detwiller
Title Plans for Additions to a House
Description Single sheet plans and elevations for a one-storey addition to a house, including a new room and bath.
Building Type Residence
Building Use Single Family
Work Type Alteration and/or Addition
Elevation Yes
Condition Light
Blueprint ID D-4212
Permit 35862
Year of Permit 1955
Microfilm Roll 0049
Microfilm Frame 0193
Condition 1000
Address 1635 Forest Hill Road
Historic District
City Plainfield
Architect Charles H. Detwiller, Jr.
Architect Firm
Owner W.K. Dunbar
Business Owner

1974 Junior League Designer Showcase: The Martine House

1974 Designer Showcase Martine House Cover to Page 25

1974 Designer Showcase Martine House Page 26 to End

In addition to saving the 1988 Program for the Designers Showhouse of Cedar Brook Farm (aka The Martine House) which was organized by the Muhlenberg Auxiliary, PGC Member Anne Shepherd also kept the 1974 Designers Showcase of the very same home, organized by the Junior League.

Within the program pages, you will find mentioned many PGC members. They include: Clawson, MacLeod, Kroll, Davis, Wyckoff, Stevens, Loizeaux, Swain, Hunziker, Connell, Foster, Dunbar, Elliott, Fitzpatrick, Gaston, Hackman, Holman, Lockwood, Morrison, Royes, Rushmore, Sanders, Williams, Barnhart, Bellows, Burger, Burner, Carter, Clendenin, DeHart, Detwiller, Eaton, Eckert, Fort, Frost, Gonder, Keating, Laidlaw, Loosli, Madsen, Mann, Marshall, Miller, Moody, Moon, Morse, Murray, Mygatt, Barrett, Peek, Perkins, Pfefferkorn, Pomeroy, Pond, Royes, Samek, Sandford, Sheble, Stevens, Shepherd, Stewart, Stout, Trewin, Vivian, Zeller, Cochran, Mooney and Hall.

Plainfield Library Archive

April 27, 1956

25TH ANNIVERSARY – A dogwood tree commerating the 25th anniversary of Cornus Arboretum was planted yesterday in Cedar Brook Park by the Plainfield Garden Club. Ralph H. Carver, chief forester of the Union County Park Commission, is turning a spade of earth. Left to right are: Mrs. W. K. Dunbar Jr., horticulture chairman; Mrs. Georges J. His, chairman of the Cornus Arboretum Committee; Mrs. Robert T. Stevens, chairman of the 25th anniversary project and past chairman of the Cornus Arboretum Committee; Mrs. Victor R. King, retiring president; Miss Harriette R. Halloway, founder of the Cornus Arboretum who served as its chairman for eight yeras, and Mrs. Frederick Lockwood, incoming president. Mrs. Thomas VanBoskerck, one of the original committee members, is not shown here.

Plainfield Library Archive

June 20, 2012

Trees with plaques on Park Avenue are removed. One was dedicated to DeWitt Dukes Barlow

http://ptalker2.blogspot.com/

June 20, 2012

February 2001 Obituary for William K. Dunbar, Jr., avid sailor

from Anne Shepherd's memorabilia

May 9, 1974 Spring Potpourri Guestbook

1953 Check Book

No. 994
March 9, 1953
Elizabeth Dunbar
Tree labels for Conservation Com.
$24.00

No. 995
March 20, 1953
Elizabeth King
R. R. 157-91
registration 50.00
baggage 10.00
$217.91
Annual Meeting

No. 996
March 25, 1953
Stephen Collins
25.00
Transportation 3.00
$28.00
Program

1954 Check Book

No. 1066
Mar 17
Mrs. Albert Stillman
registration for annual meeting
$50.00

No. 1067
Eliz. B. Dunbar
registration for zone meeting
$20.00

No. 1068
Mrs. Victor King
Zone meeting $20.00
regis. ann mtg $50.00
railroad ticket - etc
$174.69

1948 Check Book

No. 706
Mar. 30, 1948
Harold J. Morse
Photograph Bird
Window
Conservation
$4.00

No. 707
Apr. 1, 1948
Elizabeth B. Dunbar
Bird Window
Conservation
$2.00

No. 708
Apr. 1, 1948
Margaret C. Ladd
Bird Window
Conservation
$10.72

The Ocean Star, Friday, July 29, 2011

Mantoloking centennial flower show chairwoman takes home trophy

Two years ago, on July 13, 2009, Elizabeth "Libby" Dunbar celebrated her 100th birthday in her Bay Head home. At the same time, the Seaweeders Garden Club of Bay Head & Mantoloking presented her with a unique birthday gift – the designation of a Standard Flower Show trophy in Mrs. Dunbar's honor.

Nearly two years later, the trophy was presented to an accomplished local flower show entrant for the first time – Mantoloking's Mary Anne Finch.

In view of her many flower achievements in both artistic design and horticulture spanning more than 20 years in local and state flower shows, the award created in Mrs. Dunbar's honor, a ceramic urn, is a sweepstakes award – the Libby Dunbar Sweepstakes Perpetual Award. The award is to be presented to a Seaweeder at all future Seaweeder flower shows.

Earning a sweepstakes award is a prestigious achievement in the flower show world. According to National Garden Club standards, only one sweepstakes award is to be presented in any standar show.

The sweepstakes award is presented to the exhibitor who earns the most points in all divisions, achieved by combining the point socre of all ribbons awarded to that entrant.

Certified flower show judges determine the ribbons awarded,and thus the point values earned, for every entry by every exhibitor. Point totlas are tabulated by the show committee, which then names the sweepstakes winner.

On June 30, 2011, almost two full years after the Libby Dunbar Sweepstakes Perpetual Award was established, the Seaweeders Garden Club presented a Standard Patriotic Flower Show, "Mantoloking OdySea," in celebration of the Mantoloking Centennial.

The Libby Dunbar Sweepstakes trophy was awarded to Mrs. Finch, the sweepstakes winner of the Seaweeders' new, perpetual trophy and also winner of the National Garden Club Sweepstakes Award and special rosette.

At the conclusion of the flower show earlier this month, June Pendino, president of the Seaweeders, officially announced the sweepstakes awards earned by Mrs. Finch.

Mrs. Finch, who chaired "Mantoloking OdySea," is the first winner of the Libby Dunbar Sweepstakes Perpetual Award.

Mrs. Dunbar presented the ceramic urn to Mrs. Finch, who visited with Mrs. Dunbar on July 13 – the occasion was Mrs. Dunbar's 102nd birthday, celebrated in her Bay Head home.

In addition to the June 30 flower show celebrating Mantoloking's centennial, Seaweeders created a cityscape garden in the town's center.

Large planters on the east side of the borough were filled with red, white and blue flowers to add a splash of color to the borough's main thoroughfare. This civic beautification project, titled, "The Greening of Mantoloking – Downer Project," was chaired by Mrs. Finch.

Seaweeders Garden Club of Bay Head & Mantoloking is a member of the Garden Club of New Jersey, Inc., District VIII, and the National Garden Clubs, Inc., Central Atlantic Region.

http://starnewsgroup.com/weekly/2011/07.29.11/pdf/07.29.11.pdf

August 20, 1996 Anne Barlow Shepherd

Anne B. Shepherd, 89
Of Madison
August 20, 1996
Anne B. Shepherd of Middlebeach Road, Madison, and Princeton, N.J., died Saturday. She was 89.

She taught 44 years at Miss Fine's School and Princeton Day School in Princeton.

She leaves three sisters, Esther Perkins and Jean Peelle, both of West Hartford, and Elizabeth Dunbar of Bayhead, N.J.; a brother, Carlton M. Barlow of Essex; 17 nephews and nieces.

October 17, 1988 Esther Barlow Perkins

Perkins Esther (barlow)
October 17, 1998
PERKINS Esther (Barlow)

Esther (Barlow) Perkins 90, formerly of Plainfield, N.J., and Madison, widow of Seymour Perkins Jr., died Thursday, (Oct. 15, 1998). Born in Plainfield, N.J., June 4, 1908, daughter of the late DeWitt D. & Elizabeth (Moody) Barlow. She was a graduate of The Hartridge School, Plainfield, N.J., and Vassar College, Class of 1929. Prior to retiring in 1970, she was associated with Plainfield Trust State National Bank and The National State Bank. She was an active member of the Garden Club in Plainfleld, was one of the founders of the Plainfield Recycling Program and was very concerned with environmental issues. She is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, Seymour & Jane S. Perkins III of Hindsdale, IL.; her son and daughter-in-law Brewster B. & Judith B. Perkins of West Hartford; her daughter and son-in-law, Elizabeth P. & L. Steven Sternberg of Point Arena, CA.; two sisters, Mrs. (William) Elizabeth Dunbar Jr. of Bayhead, N.J. and Mrs. (William) Jean Peelle of West Hartford; a brother, Carlton M. Barlow of Essex; five beloved grandchildren; Richard Shepherd Perkins of Boston, Sarah Kate Perkins of New York City, Alexander Barlow Perkins of Seattle, WA., Austin Bailey Perkins of West Hartford and Laela Seymour Perkins of West Hartford. She was predeceased by her sister, Anne B. Shepherd and her brother, DeWitt D. Barlow, Jr. Memorial services will be held Monday, (Oct. 19) 11 a.m. at The Asylum Hill Congregational Church, 814 Asylum Ave., Hartford, with the Rev. Karin Fowler officiating. There will be no calling hours. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to The Alzheimer's Association, Northern Connecticut Chapter, 790 Maple Ave., Hartford, CT 06114, or to The Literacy Volunteers of Greater Hartford, 30 Arbor St., Hartford, CT 06106. Arrangements are being handled by The Ahern Funeral Home, 180 Farmington Ave., Hartford.

1954 - 1970 296 Images from Plainfield Library Scrapbook

October 10, 1954

1954 Mrs. William K. Dunbar Jr.

May 21, 1959

April 23, 1965 Garden Club History Reviews Past 50 Years

A history of the Plainfield Garden Club was presented to members Wednesday by Mrs. Edward H. Ladd 3rd at the club's annual meeting in the home of Mrs. Edgar F. Davis, 1080 Rahway Rd. Mrs. Alexander Kroll was co-hostess.

The history has been published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Garden Club, which was formed in 1915.

The first part of the history was written by a charter member, now deceased, Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck. The second part, covering the years from 1940-1965, was written by Mrs. Gerald Furman, and highlights the accomplishment of all the departments of the club.

Special emphasis is given to the three continuing projects: the Shakespeare Garden started in 1927; the Dogwood Collection, sponsored since 1946; and the Iris Garden begun in 1932; all in Cedar Brook Park. These three gardens have received national recognition and many awards for excellence.

The Union County Park Commission has just named the dogwood planting, "The Harriette R. Halloway Cornus Collection," in appreciation of the club's many years of service to park activities. Miss Halloway, 90, is the Garden Club's oldest living member and an authority on cornus and iris.

Mrs. Edwin J. Fitzpatrick, nominating chairman, present the slate of officers which was elected as follows: President, Mrs. Wayne J. Holman Jr.; first vice president, Mrs. David Sanders; second vice president, Mrs. F. Gregg Burger; treasurer, Mrs. William K. Dunbar Jr.; recording secretary, Mrs. C. Northrup Pond; and corresponding secretary, Mrs. C. Benson Wigton Jr.

Mrs. Holman and Mrs. Sandford will attend the annual meeting of the Garden Club of America in Cleveland, Ohio from May 10-14. Mrs. Holman will present a resume of recent program given by members of the Plainfield Club on the botanical background of the mallow plant family.

Mrs. John Wells of Valley Road, Watchung, said the club will again give scholarships to the Audubon summer camps or the N. J. State School of Conservation at Stokes Forest, as has been done since 1941. School teachers and scout leaders are eligible to apply for the scholarships.

A colored movie, entitled "Wings Over Blitzen," was shown, picturing wildlife in its natural state in the Malheur Wildlife Refuge near Burns, Ore.

Tea followed the meeting. Mrs. C. Benson Wigton and Mrs. Blanche P. Nash presided at the tea table, which was decorated with an arrangement of white spring flowers.

Taken Friday April 27, 1956

1973-1974 PGC Directory

1974-1975 Directory

1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'

November 30, 2013: Found in Barbara Tracy Sandford's memorabilia. Written by PGC Member Mrs. Garret Smith

"I call Plainfield the City of Beautiful Trees," and out-of-town visitor remarked to me the other day. "My business takes me to many towns about this size clear across the country. Trees, or their lack, always impress me most about a town. Beautiful building can't make up for the lack of them. Many towns seem to have choice trees only in one or two sections. Others have only a few tree-lined avenues. But every part of Plainfield has not only interesting individual trees, but long stretches of streets where treetops meet in green arches above the traffic. That doesn't just happen. This town must have been founded by tree-lovers."

The stranger was right, as many specimen trees on old private properties testify. They are trees that were rare and expensive when planted years ago. A number of well-to-do property owners appreciated trees and collected choice kinds. The street trees of about this age also show that far-sighted men planned to make the town keep growing more beautiful in ways that everyone enjoys.

Trees have always been essential to Plainfielders. In the early days elms stretched down North Ave. from east to the west city boundaries. Many still remain now 70 to 80 years old. That avenue helped to establish Plainfield's policy of "beautiful trees for every street."

Value Appreciated
The city's mayors and councilmen have appreciate the value of trees . . . Ginko . . . now ripening, in the edge of the station grounds, near the corner of the drug store.

Among its immediate neighbors, at this station are a Red Maple, Austrian Pine, English Elm, Horse Chestnut, several Magnolias and a Sycamore Maple, the latter near the middle of the grass oval. Purple Beech, White Pine and two Hemlocks stand at the west exit.

Lindens at Spot
On the North Ave. side of the station is an interesting clump of three Lindens – no two alike. Evergreens are represented by three Scotch Pines, an Austrian and a White Pine, and a tall, slender Spruce. In this little park are also Sugar Swamp and Silver Maples, and a clump of low-growing Beeches. Looking upward to the railroad level, one sees, besides the specimen Ginko mentioned, two Catalpas, a Weeping Mulberry, two Red Maples and an Austrian Pine. A big Pin Oak, two or three Scarlet Oaks, a . . . .

. . . boats glided over Green Brook and when Plainfield and New York social leaders came in big carriages, drawn by spanking teams, to garden musicals, gay dinners, dances and teas as the Johnston's guests.

All of Plainfield's school grounds are constantly growing more attractive. Environment of vines, trees, plants and shrubs awaken appreciation of Nature's beauty that is a lifelong source of pleasure.

Hubbard School, one of the city's architectural gems, has always been regarded as in a class by itself. Its beauty is greatly enhanced by choice plant material on its ample grounds, partly framed by Barberry. Large specimen Japanese Yews arrest attention, along with Sourwoods, or "Lily-of-the-Valley Tree," whose branches bear long one-sided racemes of white flowers in summer and whose leaves are vivid scarlet in autumn.

White Pine, Cedar, Pfitzer Junipers are shadowy evergreen foils for airy bloom of Weeping Japanese . . .

Among them are the old Elms in North Ave., mentioned before; London Planes from Watchung Ave. to Terrill Rd.; Ash in St. Mary's Ave.; Pin Oaks and Planes in Park Ave.; Sycamore Maples in Bellevue Ave.; Norway Maples in both Leland and Monroe Ave. sections. Tulip trees now grow in Central St., along Maxon School grounds, and Ginkos in Landsdowne Terr. In Cleveland Ave., near Grace Church, the lacy foliage of the decorative Mountain Ash, or Rowan Tree, contrasts at this season with bunches of bright hollylike berries. Many years ago the late Simeon Cruikshank planted Buckeyes along his corner property ["Sacmoore" 831 Belvidere] at Belvidere and Watchung Aves. Much smaller than familiar Horse Chestnut and with brighter pink flower-spikes they have always been greatly admired. In autumn the brilliant, scarlet, star-shape leaves of Liquid-ambar, or Sweetgum, glorifies a patch of Ravine Rd. After a shower, or if bruised, the foliage is fragrant. Corky bark and thorny-skinned fruit like little apples, complete this tree's unique characteristics.

Close to 150 trees, of many species, are part of the Muhlenberg Hospital landscape. The long front path beneath the Maples, and on the west the wide Elm-bordered stretch of green lawn leading to a quiet pool, with its amusing little bronze fountain figure, form two vistas of ever-increasing charm. Wide borders of intermingling trees and flowering shrubs frame the property.

The purple leaves of the two Schwedler Maples attract much attention in the spring. So do the Apple trees and Dogwoods that trim the grounds like big bouquets, set off by Hemlocks, Spruce and Pine. Chinese Dogwoods, given by graduate nurses, are especially prized. Devoted interest of the late Marie Louis, nature-lover and for years superintendent of Muhlenberg, helped turn once common-plant "grounds" into a tree-shaded garden spot both restful and diverting.

Dogwood Favorites
Native Dogwoods are favorites among the city's flowering trees. The Plainfield Garden Club, on its own recent 25th birthday, gave small grove of these "Jewels of the Forest" to Cedar Brook Park. On the T. H. Van Bosckerck grounds on Prospect Ave. is the handsome large group of Dogwoods on private property in town. On Dr. Elmer Weigel's lawn on Belvidere Ave [630 Belivdere – see Mrs. Joost]. Chinese Dogwood bears much larger and later blooms. Directly across the street from this, and close to the sidewalk, a low-growing Witch Hazel (Hamanelis) bears yellow Forsythia-like flowers in winter.

Before the Talmadge dwelling [714 Belvidere], in the the same street, are majestic Copper Beeches. In early days Beeches were popular selections for large grounds. Probably the finest Weeping Beech in the city grows in deserted grounds in Central Ave. Nearby on the Witon property is a huge Purple Beech – both almost perfect. Farther down the avenue, on Wardlaw School grounds [1030 Central Avenue - see Below], is a fine old Ginko.

The only Katsura Tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) in Plainfield is owned by former Mayor Leighton Calkins [929 Madison – see Below]. Its strange trunk and heart-shaped leaves, purplish when young, are unusual. It grows in front of the house in Madison Ave.

Unique among Plainfield trees is a native Orange of the South. it is today laden with velvety, green fruit in Mrs. Howard Tracy's Prospect Ave. garden [1331 Prospect Ave]. Probably nowhere else in this region can one be found, according to Shade Tree Commissioner Lithgow Hunter. Sent north from Maryville College in Tennessee 50 years ago. . . .

. . . residents seeking permanent homes. These officials have always planned with the Shade Tree Commission since its organization, so that every year more trees come marching in. Some fill vacancies in the ranks of old trees along old streets. Others shade tireless blocks in new sections of town.

For the last 17 years, one man, Sidney Durant, the Shade Tree Commission's expert supervisor of trees, has directed its work. it includes feeding, pruning, watering and repairing the city's 25,000 street trees, as well removal of dead or too-badly-injured trees and planting new ones. For nearly 20 years Thomas F. Hylan has served on the commission, of which he is now president.

Of all the city's trees, the strange Ginko, or Maiden-hair tree, grows to a height of 80 feet or so. The delicacy of its little leaves, resembling those of the Maiden-Hair fern, contrast sharply with the arrow-straight upswept branches of what is considered one of the most beautiful and unusual of all hardy exotic trees. The Ginko's origin is a mystery. Nowhere on earth is it been found wild, yet fossils prove it was once scattered all over the world. Nothing else today resembles the Ginko, so paleontologists reason that some series of misfortunes destroyed all missing links. Today's closest relative is the Yew family, thought at a glance they appear as unrelated as a Chines and a New England Yankee.

Planted Near Temples
Early explorers found Ginkos planted around Chinese and Japanese temples. The Chinese called in Yin-Hing – "Silver Apricot" – referring to the greenish-yellow, fleshy fruit having a single stone. This fruit, slightly roasted, was served throughout the formal Chinese dinners which lasted all day. Guests nibble the finlike fruit between courses as an aid to digestion.

The Ginko did not reach England until 1754. The first specimen in this country was planted in Woodlands Cemetery, Philadelphia. In 1889 the Ginko fruited for the first time there on the grounds of Charles Wister. fifty years ago these newcomers to America were not only scarce, but expensive. That Plainfield has so many beautiful old specimens of these trees is possibly due to the fact that John Taylor Johnston, then president of the New Jersey Central Railroad and a resident of this city, was not only a patron of the arts, but a lover of trees. Each of Plainfield's railroad station grounds had not only fine specimens of the Ginko, but also a varied collection of other trees, evidently selected by an expert.

Netherwood, nearest the Johnston home [see Below], was especially favored. Here, beside the north track, stands a regal Ginko, carefully located as an artist would plan his canvas, so that its top is etched against the sky. This emphasizes the beauty of leaf and branch and trunk as viewed from the eastbound station platform. ?? may see a younger . . .

. . . White Oak and Elms are among the trees fringing the western boundary.

"The property as a whole is a remarkable small arboretum," said a well-known visiting tree scientist recently, after inspecting the Netherwood station park. "In my travels I've seen no other railroad station grounds with such a variety of trees. This landscaping, too, I can see was done by an expert."

In employing such an expert to beautify the railroad property in his home town, Mr. Johnston was carrying out the spirit of the statement he made at the time the Metropolitan Museum of New York City was founded at his Fifth Ave. mansion. He was quoted as saying:

"The public ought to have a chance to see, to hear and to know more about whatever feeds the mind and is inspiring, if we are to have the best kind in America."

To even a novice in landscaping, the Netherwood station grounds show that underlying motive. One could not imagine either the south or north oval either diminished of enlarged – so true is their scale. It would be hard to find more beautiful flowering trees than those Magnolias; or more intriguing contrast of leaf, branch and trunk than offered by the Ginko and the Pine. On the north side the clump of Lindens, combined with an apparently outcropping "pudding stone," make a "garden composition" that suggest to the home gardener similar effective arrangements, though not necessarily identical in material.

Beautiful Estate
Some old residents recall that Mr. Johnston's estate in E. Front St. was lavishly beautified with choice trees, as were those of most of his neighbors along that splendid avenue of that day. Some of those estates are still being kept up as homes of their owners today, while others have been divided into beautiful setting for developments of small homes.

The Johnston estate, however, furnished the basis of another public development of beauty spots. A portion of it became the site of the new Barlow School [see Below]. These school grounds are said to be unequaled in the state in the variety and placement of superb trees. What some consider the finest Weeping Beech in town grows here, also two majestic evergreens, one a White Pine, the other a Spruce. Elm, Ginko, Cucumber tree, Ash, "Button Ball," Willow and Sugar Maple are also outstanding.

Two of the most interesting, although not the most conspicuous of the group, are a true English Oak (Quercus Robur) and a Yellow Wood (Cladrastis lute). The first has smallish leaves, thick-set upon the branch. A strange characteristic is that the stem adheres to the side of the acorn. The writer knows of only one other English Oak in town – Central Ave., near Stelle Ave.

The Yellow Wood has wisteria-like racemes of white fragrant flowers in midsummer. Leaves resemble the locust. Another fine specimen grows on the property of Miss Laura Detwiller in Hillside Ave.

All were here in the days . . . .

. . . when Cherry, Dogwood and Crab. In early spring the large leathery-leaved evergreen Japanese Andromeda (Pieris) unfold delicate, coppery leaves and waxy white racemes of tiny flowers. These are classified as shrubs, but on these favorable grounds, are almost small trees of exceptional beauty.

Preservation is Theme
The good judgement of George R. Zimmer, who for many years has supervised Plainfield's school grounds, is shown not only in what has already been accomplished, but in developments being planned. "What can we preserve?" not "What can we cut down?" is his motto. Before clearing the recently purchased grounds adjoining Maxon School was begun this summer, Mr. Zimmer marked every large and small tree that "might some day be of use somewhere." Workmen were warned to cut not one of these.

The City Police Headquarters and also the old Public Library have a setting of trees. The little Library Park is said to have been reserved from farmland whose native trees – mostly, Red, White and Black Oaks – were left standing. Across the facade of Fire Headquarters are a Ginko, a London Plane and Horse Chestnut – each an unusually fine specimen. Among Netherwood firemen are enthusiastic gardeners. Each spring many of Plainfield's 3,000 commuters take great interest in "what the boys are doing to their grounds." Everything planted seems to do well, even the peonies, marking the line between the firemen's parklike grounds and the railroad cinder-bed.

On spacious City Hall grounds is not only a variety of evergreens, but also of deciduous trees, selected for beauty of form, leaf or flower. Two Cryptomeria, "Aristocrats of Evergreens," donated recently by Plainfield's near-centenarian, Miss Isabel Tweedy, and a tall Himalayan Pine in town was brought here by the late Harry K. Tetsuka, to adorn his well-known Japanese garden in Belvidere Ave [556 Belvidere].

The Holly tree on City Hall grounds is another tree found on but few properties. It was donated by Herbert Moody [see Below], when The Courier-news gift of 5,000 bulbs roused a widespread interest in more beautiful grounds, in keeping with the architectural beauty of the building. Evergreens were given immediately by former Mayor Marion F. Ackerman, and a Dogwood by Thomas F. Hylan, whose keen interest in the property extends back to 25 years ago, when, as Councilman, he served on the City Hall Building Committee. This season former Councilman Orville G. Waring, son of the late Mayor Waring, donated several valuable Pfitzer Junipers.

Not Monotonous
Many species of trees planted along our city streets make green lanes that are not monotonous.

. . . . stood for most of that time in this sheltered nook. The fruits, when ripe, are decorative, but not edible. Edible oranges grown only on grafted stock. The thorny branches of this small tree resemble Osage Orange, or "Indian Bow-wood."

Figs are also ripening now in Plainfield. Within a stone's throw of Netherwood station is Watson Ave. It is only three blocks long and from spring to fall it glows with flowers. In one little garden grows a carefully tended Fig tree that bears fruit yearly. Each fall the owner buries his Fig tree in a deep trench well below the frost-line. Each spring it is dug out and reset.

One great wide-spreading Mulberry (Morus Multicaulus) towers far above the roof-top of Leslie R. Fort's home in Cedarbrook Rd. This venerable tree is the historic survivor of a Mulberry plantation, established during the "Multicaulus Mania," by the late Senator Martine [11 Brook Lane, see Below], as a venture to yield gigantic profits on his farm that included the Cedar Brook tract. He believed with others that New Jersey would be one of the world's silk-growing centers. Convinced that silk was to take the place of cotton, New Jersey farmers set out thousands of acres of "silk-worm mulberries" about 100 years ago, only to cut down the trees when the bubble burst.

One of the most varied private collection of trees in the city is that of Miss Jessie D. Munger in Prospect Ave. In recent years instructors at Rutgers University have brought students to these grounds to study the trees and other plant material as well as the garden design. Last spring the general public enjoyed the same privilege.

Love of trees is part of the tradition that has helped mould Plainfield into a city of pleasant homes on quiet streets. The late Jonas Lie, one of our city's most distinguished citizens, sensed this characteristic of our community. In the Common Council Chamber at City Hall hangs his gift – a mountain woodland scene, interpreted by his illustrious brush as an inspiring message to us all.

To learn more about the history of some of the people and places mentioned in this article, visit these links:

[Maxson School]
Stillman, Mrs. William Maxson (Elizabeth B. Atwood) '15

[630 Belvidere]
Joost, Mrs. Sherman Brownell (Marie Murray) '19

[714 Belvidere]
Dunbar, Mrs. William Kuhn '17
Rock, Mrs. Robert B. '43
Runkle, Mrs. Harry Godley (Jennie Fitz Randolph) '15
Whitehead, Mrs. James Harold (Jean Fitz-Randolph Heiberg) '43

[1030 Central Avenue – duCret School]
Huntington, Mrs. Howard (Agnes Fales Strong) '19
McGee, Mrs. Walter Miller (Mary Alice Yerkes) '22
Zerega, Miss Bertha Virginia '23

[929 Madison Avenue]
Ackerman, Mrs. Marion S.(Sarah M. Wills) '35

[Johnston Estate on Front Street & Netherwood]
Mali, Mrs. Pierre (Frances Johnston) '18

[Barlow School East front Street – former estate of "Blojocamavi" owned by Lewis V. Fitz Randolph/Johnston estate]
Barlow, Mrs. Carlton Montague (June Simms) '70
Barlow, Mrs. DeWitt Dukes (Mary Lee Brewer), Jr. '65
Dunbar, Mrs. William K., Jr. (Elizabeth or "Libby" Hail Barlow) '47
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49
(Also see Mrs. Runkle and Mrs. Whitehead above)

[City Hall]
Moody, Mrs. George T. '22
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49

[11 Brook Lane, Martine House]
MacLeod, Mrs. Robert F. (Carolyn Waring) '55

1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'

1941 Courier-News Plainfield Merits Classification as 'City of Beautiful Trees'

April 16, 1952 New Jersey Roadside Council

1985-1986 Year Book of the Plainfield Garden Club

1949-1950 Program

This small brochure was found in the bottom of a box belonging to Barbara Tracy Sandford '50. 12/22/13

1949-1950 Program

Elizabeth Dukes Barlow

February 2, 2014

We received a very interesting email today regarding one of Plainfield Garden Club's "premier" families: The Barlows.

Robert Seyffert wrote to us to inquire if we knew any of the descendants of Elizabeth Dukes Barlow. Elizabeth was the daughter of Plainfield Mayor Dewitt Dukes Barlow. Robert Seyffert's grandfather, Leopold Seyffert, painted Elizabeth in 1919 and he wishes to know the whereabouts of the painting.

Robert himself has become somewhat famous. The New York Times wrote a wonderful article on him in 2010 and his quest for finding the portraits done by his grandfather.

Intrigued, the PGC network was quickly put to work and within hours the painting was located! It is in the possession of Elizabeth's great-grandson, Dewitt Dukes Barlow, in Rhode Island. Job well done PGC!

To learn more about the Barlow family, visit the PGC membership records for a few of the members of that family:

Barlow, Mrs. Carlton Montague (June Simms) '70
Barlow, Mrs. DeWitt Dukes (Mary Lee Brewer), Jr. '65
Dunbar, Mrs. William K. (Elizabeth Atwood Biggs) '17
Dunbar, Mrs. William K., Jr. (Elizabeth or "Libby" Hail) '37
Perkins, Mrs. Seymour, Jr. (Esther Moody Barlow) '49
Moody, Mrs. George T. '22
Cox, Mrs. Archibald (Frances Perkins) '25
Day, Mrs. Thomas Mills (Anne Perkins Smith) '16
Day, Mrs. Francis P. (Fanny Carter Keith) '50


Anne Shepherd sends in an edit: "Elizabeth Dukes Barlow was the mother of Dewitt Dukes Barlow not daughter and is the great grandmother of Anne Yearley who lives in Westfield. It is her nephew D.D Barlow who has the painting and lives in Rhode Island He is son of Mary Lee Barlow (Mrs. D.D. Barlow) who was a PGC member."

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Detwiller bluprints 1635 Forest Hill Road

August 8, 2015

Library offers trove of vintage Plainfield home blueprints for sale

Plainfield homeowners and history buffs are getting a one-of-a-kind opportunity as the Plainfield Public Library prepares to offer upwards of 3,000 blueprint originals from its Detwiller Collection for sale to the public.

The blueprints offered for sale are part of a trove of many thousands recovered from a dumpster at City Hall by the late Plainfield architect and artist Charles Detwiller.

While many of Plainfield's grand homes and mansion are among the blueprints (though fewer than originally, owing to some 'fingering' before strict controls were put in place), the appeal of the collection will be stronger for those who live in or admire the more modest vintage homes from the turn of the 20th century to the World War II era.

These homes include many classic Tudors and other 'cottage' and 'revival' styles, as well as 'foursquares', ranches and Cape Cods and more contemporary stules.

These represent the bulk of Plainfield's building stock from its most expansive period and they were often enough improved or expanded – giving rise to the need for plans showing the original building and the proposed alterations to be filed with the City's inspections department.

It is those blueprints, which have now been cataloged and digitized, that are being offered for sale. In library parlance, they have been de-accessioned, meaning that they no longer need be kept permanently by the Library and are available for dispostion to private parties.

The Library has a portal to the Charles Detwiller Blueprint Collection on its website (see here) and has made a complete list of the blueprints for sale also available online (see here).

The list is alphabetized by street name, and then number. However, I would advise reading the Library's instructions closely so you make the proper notations for your request (see here) – easing the staff's task in finding the item(s) in which you are interested. Paying attention to the suggested time frames needed and numbers of items per request will help you avoid headaches. So, please read and follow the instructions carefully – as carpenters like to say, 'measure twice, cut once'.

The sale will run from September 1 to November 13, 2015 in a two-step process –

You check the offerings to find items that interest you, making careful notations; and

You and the Library work out a pick-up appointment, at which you will be able to view the actual items and make a final decision on your purchase.

Single-page blueprints are priced at $50 each and multiple-page sets at $100. Cash or credit cards are fine, but the Library will not accept personal checks.

Proceeds of the sale will be used to finance the further digitization of the blueprint collection – meaning that we can look forward to another offering of materials at some future point.

The Detwiller Collection is absolutely unique in its size and scope, covering decades of Plainfield history and thousands of buildings throughout the city. Plainfield residents owe Charlie Detwiller a debt of gratitude for his perspicacity that cannot be repaid.

And we owe a debt of gratitude to Library Director Joe Da Rold for the vision that saw in these rescued documents an invaluable resource for the community, and devised means and methods of ensuring these fragile records would be available to Plainfield residents permanently through having them digitized.

EDITOR'S NOTE:
Mr. Detwiller is the late husband of PGC Honorary member Cath Detwiller. Mr. Detwiller's Aunt Laura was a long-time member of the PGC and a very talented botanical artist. Read about the Detwiller family here:

Detwiller, Mrs. Charles H. (Catherine or "Cath" Campbell), Jr. '57

Detwiller, Miss Laura Cecelia '29

And Mr. Detwiller's in-laws:

Campbell, Mrs. William Hall (Mabel C. Raper) '28

Davis, Mrs. F. Edgar (Dorothy or "Dottie" Campbell) '60