Plainfield Garden Club








Member: Herring, Mrs. Frank Otis (Henrietta B. "Etta") '15 FOUNDER

1919 Address: 811 3rd Place, Plainfield

1921: Mrs. Henrietta Herring passed away

1922 Directory: Not Listed

In 1965, the 50th Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club, Mrs. Frank O. Herring was listed as an "Honorary Member" and deceased.

Mrs. Henrietta B. Herring Organizes The Plainfield Garden Club

The Plainfield Garden Club was founded in the spring of 1915. At the invitation of Mrs. Henrietta B. Herring, nineteen women met with her at the Plainfield Library in April of that year to discuss organizing a garden club. It was the wish of a number of women that such a club be formed, "one that should be simple and more of a pleasure than a burden". The Club was officially and enthusiastically created one month later with forty-eight charter members. A constitution and by-laws were adopted, and members paid dues of $2 per year. Mrs. Herring served six consecutive years as the first president, assisted in governing by an executive committee of eight ladies of "high caliber and stamina". By 1965, the membership had grown to eighty-four and dues had increased to $25-$30 depending on membership class. Today, the Club has approximately forty-five active, sustaining and affiliate members.

To read more, click: History of The Plainfield Garden Club

Mrs. Herring's Plainfield Garden

Courtesy of the Plainfield Library: Plainfield Garden Club Archives

Mrs. Herring mentioned in the New York Times "Plainfield Chat and Gossip" article

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F30714FD395911738DDDAA0994D9405B8585F0D3

Many other early Plainfield Garden Club members also mentioned.

New York Times "Plainfield Society Gossip"

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00B1EFF385911738DDDAD0A94DB405B8585F0D3

New York Times article titled "Plainfield's August Roster" August 13, 1893

Mr and Mrs. Herring were at the World's Fair in Chicago

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F60812F63F5A1A738DDDAA0994D0405B8385F0D3

February 27, 1898 Frank O. Herring Treasurer of New York Trade and Transportation

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0A1EFF3B5416738DDDAE0A94DA405B8885F0D3

August 10, 1887 New York Times article on Newport Society and Mrs. Herring

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F2081EF6355A1A738DDDA90994D0405B8784F0D3

. . . . Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Herring, New York; . . . .

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 3

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 5

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 6

1915 - 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

page 6

American Museum of Natural History 1891

resource

"Etta B. Herring, Plainfield, NJ, 2 specimens of callidryas eubule"

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

November 13, 1940
Penciled next to her name are the initials "H.M." to mark Mrs. Herring's status as "Honorary Member"

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

1941 - 1947 Club History by Etheldreda Anderegg

History of the club to 1970 by Mrs. Henry Noss

History of the club to 1970 by Mrs. Henry Noss

March 7, 1916 President's Message

President's Message
Read at Annual Meeting

March 7, 1916

One year ago the Plainfield Garden Club had its birth and I wish to take a look backward over the year's work and consider with you if it has been worthwhile.

As we are without a secretary as I write this report I am giving you a skeleton of what her report would tell you.

We have had nine general meetings and seven meetings of the executive committee. And we have had one public lecture. I am not going to give you a detailed treasurer's report but our income last year from our $2.00 dues and our $29.00 over and above our expenses of our public lecture will cover all our expenses until the times when our dues for next year will come in.

It is only fair to tell you that Mr. Otto Thilow charged us only $8.75 for his lecture instead of his regular price of $15.00.

The larger number of our members seemed to be interested in our work but I regret to say that there are several members that have never been present at any of our meetings. This seems to be hardly fair to our waiting list and we hope they will show more interest in the future.

We have had the misfortune one member by death and her place was filled by the first name on the waiting list.

We regret exceedingly the illness that has made it necessary for our late secretary and treasurer to resign. Our new secretary comes to us with enthusiasm and pleasure and although she is not able to be with us today I feel we are fortunate in securing Mrs. McMillen for that office. The fact that she expects to be home all summer adds greatly to her value as an officer.

I wish to thank the ladies who have so kindly given their service at the different meetings as the secretary.

As we have not wished to be selfish in our enjoyment of our club we presented 104 glasses or jars of fruit jellies or preserves to the fruit and flower mission for which we received a grateful letter of acknowledgement and our recent public lecture we gave a complimentary ticket to each active clergyman in town. 25 to the Y. M. C. A. and then 25 Y. W. C. A. The President of the later called me up on the telephone to tell me how much appreciated the tickets were and 24 of the 25 were used with the greatest pleasure and a number of those given to the Y. M. C. A. were also used.

I am closing this inadequate report. I hope that every member will resolve to give all that she can personally give to the club during the coming season to bring ideas about meetings and the work and above all will talk and enter fully into the discussions of our works at the various meetings. The executive committee values such assistance more than I can tell you and are always glad to receive help in that direction.

You have done the honor to elect me again as your president. I will serve you to the best of my ability and my service in the year to come has been in the year that has passed will be one of love and enthusiasm.

I thank you for your attention and I am going to close with the question which I began my report: Is our worthwhile?

July 12, 1916 Meeting Minutes

July 12, 1916

The meeting was held at Miss Cuartin's. It was a seasonably hot day. [further out] Mrs. Hibbard read a delightful paper on the Shakespeare Garden of Central Park. She had talked to Professor Southwicks who was the creator of the garden as well as looked carefully over the grounds for herself and the result was that she gave the club a charming description of what she had seen quite in the spirit of Dr. Southwicks himself.

The garden is near the 81st street and 5th avenue entrance of Central Park.

When Mrs. Hibbard had finished, Mrs. Herring told of her visit to the garden and her talk with Professor Southwicks. The members of the club were so interested in the two accounts of the garden that the motion was made and carried that the secretary writes to Professor Southwicks as to what the cost of the upkeep of the Shakespeare Garden was, and suggest that The Plainfield Garden club start a campaign amongst the Garden Clubs of America to get the necessary funds to run the Shakespeare Garden. The Plainfield Garden Club would contribute a sum although no definite amount was voted at the meeting.

1941 - 1942 Club History by Etheldreda Anderegg, version 2

[Editor's note: The original document was too faded to scan. This is a different version of a history written by Mrs. Etheldreda Anderegg from 1941 1947]

Plainfield Garden Club History
Continued to 1947

On May 14th, 1941 six years ago to-day in Cedarbrook Park the Anniversary Dogwood Trees were formally presented to the Park Commission. In making the presentation, Mrs. Arthur Nelson, president, said the garden club wished to make a gift of lasting beauty to mark its anniversary. Mr. Tracey responding for the Park Commissioners commended the club for its civic interest and declared the trees would bring a touch of beauty to thousands of lives. The gift was identified by a large boulder bearing a bronze marker. Mrs. Holliday as chairman of the Dogwood Tree Committee and of the Boulder Committee arranged the anniversary celebration.

That year, 1941, an article appeared in Horticulture in praise of our Shakespeare Garden.

A teacher of the Jefferson School staff was sent to the Audubon Nature Camp in Maine.

Handsome new yearbooks containing a revised constitution, membership lists and permanent covers with loose leaves were issued. About this time some of our members looking back upon some of our achievements of the past, and forward for new horizons to explore, agreed that once more we should storm the ramparts of the Garden Club of America. No organization in garden club circles offers to its members such a wide field of opportunities and assured prestige. This reporter has sat in many important national and state conferences were the effect of this prestige could be observed. When important decisions were due there was an intangible inference in the atmosphere which stemmed to imply "All those not members of the Garden State of America may now retire to the Jim Crow car."

Better to have failed in the high aim than to succeed vulgarly in the low one" said Browning.

So a committee to explore the possibilities of our being accepted for membership was named by Mrs. Nelson. With Mrs. Corriel as chairman, the committee consisted of Miss Elsie Harmon, Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler, Miss Elizabeth Browne, Miss William Tyler, Mrs. William A. Holliday, Mrs. James Devlin and your historian. Our search for new worlds to conquer began with a meeting at the home of Mrs. William Tyler, on February 21, 1941, when your historian read a letter she had been asked to write to Mrs. Frederic Kellogg, of Morristown Garden Club, prominent garden club personality. The letter would be interesting at this point, but unfortunately it has been lost. Suffice to say, our prise of ourselves was so completely uninhibited that the committee itself was profoundly impressed by the record of performance of the Plainfield Garden Club set forth therein. Shakespeare said "Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful." After all they could not know our worth unless we told them. This time we forestalled a verdict that we had "accomplished nothing."

It might be interjected here that during Mrs. Goddard's regime an effort was made to join the Garden Club of America. Mrs. Kellogg, approached on that occasion, graciously entertained Mrs. Goddard and Mrs. Holliday at luncheon, and they left with the impression that Plainfield, having rejected an invitation to become a charter member of that organization during Mrs. Herring's tenure, it would be futile ever to hope for membership.

An active campaign was launched by all who had relatives or friends in member clubs. This was accelerated when it was learned that a neighboring club had an identical ambition, and had found a sponsor. Because of geographical allocation, we realized that only one of us would be admitted. When it became apparent that we had aroused interest, and had a semblance of chance for acceptance, a special meeting was called at the home of Mrs. Corriel, and the advantages of membership in the Garden Club of America, as well as the financial obligations thoroughly explored. The club was asked to decide whether they wished the committee to proceed with the negotiations. The vote was unanimously affirmative.

Subsequently Mrs. Kellogg requested that the Morristown Club have the pleasure of proposing us, and Mrs. Lauderdale of Short Hills offered to have that club second us. While we waited for the verdict, our campaign never waned.

On May 11th, 1941, tenth anniversary of Iris Garden, the executive board gave a tea to honor Miss Halloway. Mrs. Holliday arranged a delightful affair in the field house. Members of the garden club and thirty guests were invited. Miss Halloway's friends came from far and near while the Iris Garden glowed in a rainbow of colors for the occasion.

The war which was sweeping over France while Mrs. VanBoskerck's history concluded had now reached our shores. "Come to open purple testament of bleeding war." (King Richard) Our members were working for the U.S.O., the Red Cross and Camp Kilmer, apart and in conjunction with the garden club. Plans were sent to the camp to enhance its barren scenes, and seeds to Brittain. Victory gardens were planted, two new chairmanships were added to the executive board War Activities and Victory Gardens.

In May 1943, we provided vases and began to send flowers regularly to the chapels at Camp Kilmer. This is still being done. Garden books from the Garden Center were placed in the Public Library. Because of gasoline and food rationing it was becoming difficult to hold meetings. Speakers were reluctant to use scarce gasoline and tires for small groups. The war organizations were asking for more things, more effort and more money. The garden club was striving to provide all three.

In June 1943 a delegation from the Garden Club of America came to inspect our members' gardens. Those gardens chosen to head the list were duly explored and approved, but unfortunately the sand of time ran out before they could see them all, and they will never realize all they missed. However, they did see the dogwood planting, the Shakespeare and Iris gardens.

At the annual meeting Mrs. Samuel Carter gave a particularly interesting history of the Shakespeare garden, which was later read by request at the Shakespeare Club. Mrs. Carter said in part: "It has been said that we of the Western World love flowers for what they are, and that the peoples in the East love them for what they suggest. A Shakespeare Garden is full of suggestions, a speaking garden revealing the tradition, folklore and romance of the ancient and timeless plants." Mr. Tracey quoted an authority on the subject as saying that Mrs. Carter's was the finest Shakespeare Garden in the country and that over 15,000 people visited it last year.

Mrs. Coriell announced at the executive board meeting February 2nd, 1944, that Plainfield Garden Club had been elected to membership in the Garden Club of America, and letters of welcome received from sponsoring clubs. It had required three years to reach the new horizons, but a poet once said, "A horizon is nothing but the limit of our sight" so each one attained shows another beckoning in the distance.

Because of rationing, meetings were held in semi-public places of central location. Speakers stressed every phase of conservation. Garden club members were working hard at Camp Kilmer, for the Red Cross and the U.S.O.

In 1945 we became a Founder of the Blue Star Drive, our members contributing generously to this beautiful tribute to the men who served in the armed forces. It is hoped, and the hope is rapidly being fulfilled, that ultimately it will stretch from New Jersey to California.

A new custom was instituted, that of sending a sum of money to the Red Wood Tribute Grove in memory of deceased members. This year, 1945, a dance recital was given to help defray expenses of war activities. Naturally it was under the chairmanship of Miss Maud vonBoskerck, whose motto might well be "Music is my talent my dearest one." It was very successful artistically and financially.

We helped the New York Botanical Garden celebrate its Fiftieth Anniversary by sending hostesses every day for a week, and by a substantial sum of money for plant research.

In 1945 Lyons Hospital was included on our flower and plant list, and we have continued to supply it weekly for two months of each year. Flowering trees were planted along Blue Star Drive in memory of members' sons lost in the war.

Mrs. Samuel Carter and Miss Harriette Halloway received awards from the Garden Club of New Jersey for their work in Shakespeare and Iris gardens respectively.

Besides bouquets were made twice a week for the wards at Camp Kilmer, beginning in May. Our members volunteered to arrange them.

By this time we were discovering that those "new worlds to conquer" for which we had longed, were providing more opportunities than we could well cope with, and so a junior membership was formed, now numbering six.

The associate membership was enlarged to thirty-five so that active members might be enabled to transfer to it. A questionnaire was sent of work they wished to do. In a Garden Club of America contest for a year's program, Miss Halloway's won honorable mention.

Beginning early in December members of the club met every day in Mrs. Boardman Tyler's studio to make Christmas decorations for the hospital at Camp Kilmer. A big fire blazed in the stove, tons of varied evergreens were provided as well as all other necessary equipment. The studio hummed like Santa Claus' workshop, and great quantities of wreaths with large red bows, small bouquets and other favors emerged to cheer the soldiers at Camp Kilmer and Lyons Hospitals. Joyce Kilmer, for whom the camp was named, wrote of his experience in the other World War: "My shoulders ache beneath my pack, Lie easier cross upon his back" We hoped we eased their burden just a little.

The opportunities offered by the Garden Club of America in the field of conservation are so many and so varied, it was necessary to choose which tangent to pursue. In view of the community and national problems of vandalism and child delinquency, it was thought wise to concentrate the major effort in combating these evils. Working through the public schools seemed the most logical procedure. Mr. Wimer of Jefferson School and Mrs. Rulison of the Park Commission have offered sympathetic cooperation. The first step in the program is the establishment of school gardens, now in process of being planted. The garden club provided the funds. A trial garden, or proving bed was started in Cedarbrook Park in 1946. This year many new perennials were added.

Mrs. Hubble's artistic ability was employed so successfully in redecorating the Garden Center, this observer could scarcely recognize it.

The Garden Club of New Jersey bestowed an award upon us for meritorious work at Camp Kilmer. Miss Halloway has made additions to the peony, Iris and Narcissus gardens. It again became necessary to raise money, and a repeat performance by request, of the dance recital was staged by Miss Van Boskerck.

A suggestion from the Garden Club of New Jersey that we plant a tree to honor garden weekled, after consultation with Mr. Tracey, to the beginning of a dogwood arboretum comprising all the varieties that will grow in this vicinity. Twenty-five varieties have already been planted.

Santa Claus helpers gathered again in Mrs. Tyler's studio to make decorations for Camp Kilmer, and surpassed their effort of the previous year. Our work in this Project was not equaled by that of any club either year.

A thrill of pride must have quivered through our membership from founders to newest recruits, triumphs of our members who exhibited in the New York Flower Show. In the realm of flower arrangement there is no more coveted award than the Fenwick Medal. Our Mrs. deHart was runner up fro that prize last year. This year four exhibits won three blue ribbons and two special awards. It was a magnificent performance which won for us third place in the sweepstakes.

Chapel flowers still are sent to Camp Kilmer. Our members arrange them. We take our turn with the other clubs supplying flowers for the entire hospital regularly from gardens when possible, from florists in cold weather. Two gray Ladies representing Plainfield Garden Club, arrange and distribute the flowers through the wards. The by-laws were again revised and new books issued for the permanent covers.

The executive committee has not overlooked the fact that a War Memorial is of paramount interest to the garden club. Much time as been spent in discussion and deep thought given the matter. Mrs. Boardman Tyler has been named a member of the committee. This year we are sending a teacher to the Audubon Nature Camp in Maine, and another to the Conservation Workshop in Trenton.

Several members have been invited to speak on varied subjects, notably Mrs. Garret Smith on Church Gardens, and Miss Halloway on horticultural subjects. Mrs. Garret has been honored as founder of the Little Garden Club of New York City, of which she is honorary president.

A big of biographical information picked up while perusing the minutes is that our new president, Mrs. Loziuex, became a member of the club in 1940, second vice president in 1942, again in 1945, first vice president in 1946 and president in 1947.

Having been a member of the club only ten years, your historian cannot speak with absolute authority, but thinks it probably that the club reached greater heights of achievement under this administration of Mrs. Tyler than during any comparable period of time. This is partly true because of the new opportunities offered by affiliation with the Garden Club of America, and partly due to Mrs. Tyler's dynamic energy and her determination that the Plainfield Garden Club take advantage of these opportunities and assume its rightful position in the vanguard of progressive garden clubs.

Junius described Mrs. Tyler perfectly when he wrote: "the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct and the hand to execute."

We notice as we go over the chronicles of the garden club, the absence of names once listed so frequently:

Those whom we loved so long, and see no more
Loved and still love,
Not dead, but gone before.

If we ever adopt a coat of arms, it might well show crossed trowels over a field of flower arrangements, the other expounding the futility of vandalism to a young cub. And the motto? It must be from Shakespeare, and it is from The Tempest: Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.

Or if we choose to abandon the classics: Never a dull moment!

Etheldreda Anderegg
Historian, 1947

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Otis Herring

http://www.plainfieldlibrary.info/Departments/LH/FindingAids/ShakespeareSoc.html

Charter Members of the Shakespeare Society 1896 - 1998

History of the First Presbyterian Church Plainfield

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyoffirstpr00beal/historyoffirstpr00beal_djvu.txt

"The Close of the First Century

N October 20, 1892, a call was extended to the Rev. Charles
E. Herring, of New York City, where he had been ordained
totheministry by the Presbytery of that city, January 19, 1888, the
same year, it is pleasant to note that the church that he was des-
tined to serve as pastor for 29 years, was built. He received
the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy from Columbia University
in 1887, and the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from New York
University in 1907; but the honor that he most craved, but reso-
lutely awaited for it to be honorarily conferred, namely, that of
Doctor of Divinity, was received by his widow, Alice Miller
Herring, a few days after his death at Muhlenberg Hospital,
Plainfield, May 26th, 192 1, he having been stricken while preach-
ing his usual sermon Sunday morning, May 15th, at 11:40
o'clock.

This incident was one of the most tragic in the history of this
church. It was a bright sunshiny Spring morning and the church
was well filled when, after greeting the children in Sunday school
as was his wont before entering the pulpit, the congregation
assembling for worship saw him in his pulpit as usual.

No hint of anything amiss occurred until, after being well
started upon his sermon, the text of which was "Moses, my ser-
vant, is dead," he paused and said:

"I cannot go on with the sermon. It is all right." When, in
sinking to his chair, he said to the treasurer of the church, Howard
W. Satterfield, who, sitting close to him, was first to grasp the
full extent of the minister's distress, "I want to go home. Brother
Manning, will you dismiss the people?"

Dr. N. W. Currie and Mrs. Herring, both of whom were sit-
ting in the gallery, hurried to the study as tender hands lifted
the stalwart but now limp frame of the pastor irlto the room
where his wife and physician awaited him, while Elder J. H. Man-
ning, with a benediction, dismissed the congregation.

Nine days later Dr. Herring passed away in Muhlenberg hos-
pital and was buried, after a double funeral service, in Hillside
cemetery, this city.

The services in tribute to the pastor, thus suddenly taken from
the leadership of his congregation, were held on successive days.

27



THE HISTORY OF THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

On, a Sunday evening a few weeks before he was stricken, the
church was filled to capacity with the masonic fraternity of Plain-
field and friends as a tribute to the long years as Chaplain in
Jerusalem Lodge No. 26 F. & A. M. and also as a public testi-
monial of their appreciation of Dr. Herring as a citizen and
patriot.

Dr. Herring remarked to friends after the service that it was
the first time in many years that the full capacity of the church
had been taken at an evening service.

Little did the genial minister realize that within a very short
time the same fraternity and the same friends would again fill
the church to a point where the capacity of the edifice was to be
exceeded to the extent even that many of every color and creed
who sought to pay tribute to his memory had to be turned away,
for there was a genuine feeling "that he belonged not alone to
the sorrowing wife and sister but to the whole community."

The Rev. R. F. Y. Pierce, Baptist minister, and a Chaplain of
the New York Police Department, presiding over and voicing
the people's tribute at that service, summed up the public's ap-
praisal of Dr. Herring's character and citizenship in these words
during his address on the subject, "I Live," before an enthralled
audience :

"Our brother. Dr. Herring, embraced an ideal of an ennobled
life and wrought a glorious manhood which made him a prince
among his fellow men. His gentleness, kindness, sympathy,
strength of character, genial spirit, broad charity and virility of
Christian manhood made him to be revered as one of God's
noblemen.

"He lived, not for himself, but with the mind of the Master,
he sought to lift the burdens from the hearts of others, to speak
words of cheer to those fainting and faltering on Life's weary
way. His was the joy to wipe sorrow's tears from everflowing
eyes; to sow the seeds of truth In hearts of age and youth; to
lead the wanderer home ; to teach the world about Christ, and to
be a friend of man.

"His memory will ever be a precious legacy, not only to the
loved ones of his heart and home, but to all who came within the
circle of his Influence."

In strict accordance with a plan for his funeral which he
had prepared some years before and was discovered among his
papers after his death, the body lay in state in the church he

28



THE HISTORY OF THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

loved and served well nigh three decades, lovingly guarded by
representatives of the Session, Deacons, Trustees, officers of his
church and Masonic brethren in the persons of: A. W. Dunning
and A. V. Searing, Jr., until midnight; Allen E. Beals and G. F.
Murphy until 3 o'clock; F. O. Dunning and John S. Johnston
until 6 A.M. and George B. Wean and W. H. Abbott until 9 A.M.
He was borne to his last mortal resting place on the beautiful
slopes of Hillside cemetery by Alvin E. Hoagland, Isaac L. Wil-
liamson, John H. Johnston, Dr. N. W. Currie, John G. Bicknell
and Allen E. Beals.

There are many today who pay to Dr. Herring the encomium
so richly earned that his great gift to the First Presbyterian
church of Plainfield was the deep-seated spirit of Brotherly Love
that has embued the members of this church body over so many
happy years.

It was during the pastorate of the Rev. Dr. Herring that an
incident occurred which resulted in enriching the church with its
beautiful onyx baptismal font, the first two children to be bap-
tised at which were the great-grandchildren of the Rev. Lewis
Bond, first pastor of the church, Bessie Wright and Clarence
LesHe Bond, children of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Eugene Bond.

Dr. Herring was invited on a certain occasion to deliver a
sermon at Crescent Avenue church. In the audience was Mr.
Charles L. Hyde
, who listened with great interest to what Dr.
Herring had to say. After the service he made inquiry as to
who that preacher was and, upon being told it was the Rev. Dr.
Herring of the First Presbyterian church, he declared:

"That is the kind of a preacher I like and we will worship in
his church hereafter."

During his attendance upon public worship in Dr. Herring's
church, Mrs. Hyde noticed that there was no suitable font for
the baptism service, whereupon, making further inquiry, she
arranged to present to the church the beautiful example of the
stone cutter's art that graces the front of the auditorium to the
left of the pulpit.

Other notable baptisms at this font were: Irving Bond Hin-
man, Kenneth Russell Hinman, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Grove
Porter Hinman; Gordon Van der Vere Bond, son of Mr. and
Mrs. Alexander Russell Bond, descendants of the first pastor of
the church; and Harold Deforrest and Donald Deforrest Beebe,
sons of Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Beebe, direct descendants of Pier-

29



THE HISTORY OF THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

pont Potter, one of the founders of the Presbyterian church of
Plainfield.

January 20, 1895 New York Times

Social Doings in Plainfield.

PLAINFIELD, N.J., Jan. 19. Tuesday the Central Avenue Euchre Club held pleasant meeting at the home of Mr. Charles F. Abbott. Mrs. E.C. Perkins won the first lady's prize, and the second was taken by Mrs. Harry M. Stockton. The first men's prize was won by G.J. Parker Mason and the second by Harry M. Stockton.

In the High School Assembly Hall, Tuesday night, Prof. Leon H. Vincent lectured on "Charles Dickens."

Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Stiger of New York are guests of Mrs. D. T. Van Buren.

Mrs. M. E. Edgerton of East Front Street entertained a number of friends at an informal luncheon Wednesday afternoon.

Miss Reick of Haverstraw, N.Y. is the guest of Mrs. Frank O. Herring of Park Avenue.

A pleasant event in Plainfield society was the reception and dance give to the Glee, Mandolin, and Banjo Clubs of Columbia College in the Casino Monday night.

Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Shepard have gone to New York for the Winter.

Tuesday night the Camera Club elected the following offiers: President – Oscar S. Teale; Vice-President - Howard Stillman; Secretary - Harry Coward; Treasurer - W. A. Freeman; Board of Directors – Harold Serrell, J. Harvey Doane and J. E. Stewart.

Tuesday Miss Delphine L. Bowers gave a charming afternoon tea at her home on Franklin Place.

A number of friends were entertained Tuesday night by Mrs. J. Wesley Johnson of La Grande Avenue in honor of her guest, Miss Van Patton of Burlington, Vt.

November 14, 1895 New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0911FE355911738DDDAD0994D9415B8585F0D3

PLAINFIELD KIRMESS OPENED

In Aid of Muhlenberg Hospital – Good Attendance and Reason for Expecting Financial Success – The Booths.

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Nov. 13 – There was a grand opening of the kirmess at the Columbia Cycle Academy Monday night, and the building was decorated very elaborately.

Not since the charity ball have the society fold here been interested in a like event for such a worthy cause. The kirmess is given for the benefit of Muhlenberg Hospital, and, judging from the attendance at the opening night, the hospital will be greatly bettered financially.

Booths have been very prettily arranged about the academy, making an exceedingly tasty show. The equipment of the booths is as follows:

French Booth – Mrs. Albert Hoffman Atterbury, Mrs. Irving H. Brown, Mrs. Charles B. Corwin, Miss Bessie Ginna, Mrs. George C. Evans, Mrs. Charles J. Fisk, Mrs. Ellis W. Hedges, Miss E. E. Kenyon and Miss Whiton.

Florentine Booth – Mrs. I. N. Van Sickle, Mrs. David E. Titsworth, Mrs. W. M. Stillman, Mrs. John D. Titsworth, Mrs. F. A. Dunham, Miss Louise Clawson, Miss Bessie TItsworth, and Mrs. Lulu Lewis.

Gypsy Booth – Mrs. Joseph W. Reinhart, and Mrs. Howard Fleming.

Venetian Booth – Mrs. Hugh Hastings, Miss Emelie Schipper, Mrs. George A. Chapman, Miss Haviland, Mrs. Samuel Huntington, Mrs. Emil Woltman, Mrs. Samuel St. J. McCutchen, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. C. S. West, Mrs. W. E. Lower, Miss E. R. Cock, Mrs. Frank O. Herring, Miss Huntington, Miss Maud Van Bosckerck, Miss MacCready, Miss Clara D. Finley, Miss Ahrens, Miss Aynne MacCready, Miss Mondanari, Miss Graff, Miss Yerkes, Miss Gertrude Walz, and Miss Pierson.

Japanese Booth – Mrs. Charles Seward Foote, Mrs. George Clay, Mrs. S.P. Simpson, Mrs. L. Finch, Mrs. Constantine P. Ralli, Mrs. William Lewis Brown, Mrs. L. Dennis, Mrs. WIlliam Pelletier, Miss Ellis, Miss Anthony, Miss Dryden, Miss Morgan, Miss Bowen, Miss Lawrence, and Miss Rodman.

Spanish Booth – Mrs. S. A. Cruikshank, Mrs. A. T. Slauson, Mrs. J. F. Wichers, Mrs. T. H. Curtis, Mrs. Marion S. Ackerman, Mrs. T. A. Hazell, Mrs. H. L. Moore, Mrs. D. T. Van Buren, Mrs. E. H. Mosher, Miss Harriott, Miss Louise Patton, Miss Maud Lord, Miss May Kirkner, Miss Louise Van Zandt, Miss Annie Horton, Miss Titsworth, and Miss Meredith.

German Booth – Mrs. Mason W. Tyler, Mrs. Logan Murphy, Mrs. John H. Oarman, Mrs. Charles J. Taggart, Mrs. Benjamin R. Western, Mrs. J. E. Turill, Mrs. Arthur T. Gallup, Mrs. Horsley Barker, Mrs. John Haviland, Mrs. George Wright, Mrs. Amra Hamragan, Mrs. William L. Saunders, Mrs. William Wright, Miss Annie Murphy, Miss Wright, Miss Western, Miss Bartling, Miss Helen Warman, Miss Emma Adams and Miss Ann Thorne.

Stationery Booth – Mrs. John Gray Foster, Mrs. Elliott Barrows, Mrs. A. W. Haviland, Mrs. John D. Miller, Mrs. James R. Joy, and Miss Emily R. Tracy.

Parisian Flower Stall – Mrs. Harry M. Stockton, Mrs. Evarts Tracy, Mrs. Daniel F. Ginna, Mrs. W. H. Ladd, Mrs. Frederick Yates, Miss Marlon Dumont, Miss Ginna, Miss Baker, Miss Huntington, and Miss Van Bosckerck.

Refreshments were dispensed by Mrs. Orville T. Waring, Mrs. George W. Van Bosckerck, Mrs. John Bushnell, Mrs. Gifford Mayer, Mrs. George H. Goddard, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. H. P. Reynolds, Mrs. C. C. Guion, Mrs. N. P. T. Finch, Mrs. Henry McGee, Mrs. De Revere, Mrs. Ruth C. Leonard, Mrs. George W. Rockfellow, Miss Annie Opdyke, Mrs. Van Alstyne, Mrs. Utzinger, Mrs. Nelson Runyon, Mrs. Henry Tapsley, Miss Martine, Miss Edith Allen, Mrs. J. Parker Mason, Mrs. J. K. Myers, Mrs. Walton, and Mrs. H. C. Adams

Courier News articles for "Herring"

Herring Carrie A. 4/5/1967 News
Herring Carrie A. 4/29/1967 News
Herring Carrie A. 3/20/1986 Annotation death
Herring Carrie A. n.d. Film Negative
Courier News Index: H 48 of 80
Last Name First Name Relationship Date Source Data Item Type
Herring George DeWitt 2/4/1952 Obituary

New York Times October 4, 1900

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50E11FB3C5B11738DDDAD0894D8415B808CF1D3

Sheppard - Darby

PLAINFIELD, N.J., Oct. 3. - The wedding of Miss Loretta Darby, daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. John Darby of Alton, N.J., and Edgar Felton Sheppard of Central Avenue, Plainfield, took place this afternoon at the home of the bride's parents. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. C. D. Herring, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Plainfield. The maid of honor was Miss Edith M. Darby and the best man was Chauncey Field Stout of Plainfield. The ushers were Walter R. Darby of Alton and Charles M. Dolliver of Plainfield

October 26, 1908 New York Times

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F70D14FB3B5A17738DDDAF0A94D8415B888CF1D3

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Oct. 25 – No arrests were made at the Plainfield Country Club today when the first trial at Sunday golf took place, and in fact there was no suspicion of interference of any sort. The clubhouse was open all afternoon, despite the protests of the local clerby, and about a score of the "liberals" played golf. Among the number were A. H. Atterbury and Hugh F. Fox, Councilman Henry D. Hibbard, S. D. Lounsbury, E. G. Willson, and Frank Reinhart, the crack golfer, all well-known citizens. In and about the clubhouse were a number of the women members as well as about two dozen men who did not care to go over the course.

The police made no arrests for Sunday baseball, and in fact no games were reported, although it had been announced that some would be held today in order to bring about arrests and thus have the legality of Sunday golf tested. Mayor C. J. Fisk, who voted for the amendment of the club allowing it to be open on Sundays, and who later announced that arrests would follow if any indulged in baseball within the city limits, was not a visitor at the clubhouse. In his statement explaining his vote the Mayor declares that he favored Sunday opening, but that the question of golf play was entirely a matter for the governors to decide.

At the fashionable Park Avenue Baptist Church tonight the Rev. Dr. A. E. Finn, the pastor, in denouncing the golf play today at the Plainfield Country Club, remarked concerning those who voted in favor of the innovation:

"Last Tuesday night 168 people by their vote to open the Plainfield Country Club for half a day on Sunday, put a stumbling block in the way of the moral and religious progress of the beautiful City of Plainfield. I wonder if these 168 refined, cultured, educated, influential people knew what God said in His holy Word about putting stumbling blocks in the way of their fellow men? That the influence of these 168 stumbling blocks is far reaching is evident by the fact that a petition in favor of Sunday baseball has now been sent to our Mayor.

"Just as truly as the retribution of God came upon the people in Isaiah's time for the desecration of His holy day, so we have every reason to believe that the people who are endeavoring to break one of the great institutions that God has given us for our moral and spiritual development will be called upon to account for it. But these 168 stumbling blocks have not only violated God's law, but upon this very day when they open their golf links violated a State law. And in proof of this assertion, I quote Corporation Counsel Craig A. Marsh, Vice President of the New Jersey Bar Association:

"We were very proud of our banker-Mayor, C. J. Fisk, President of the State Excise Commission, when he found that Atlantic City was openly violating the law and that he did not try to conceal it, but reported that fact to the Governor. But where is the consistency of Mayor Fisk to report to the Governor the violations of the law in other cities and at the same time to join with 168 people to openly violate the law in our own city?

"We call upon the citizens of Plainfield who have any regard for their homes, their city, their church, and their God to see that God's laws are observed, and that the State laws are enforced, and that this moral germ is destroyed in its incipient state."

Among the other pastors of fashionable churches who denounced the innovation from their pulpits today were the Rev. Dr. A. C. McCrea of the First M. E. Church and the Rev. Dr. Charles E. Herring of the First Presbyterian Church.

Herring Family History

Col. Silas Clark Herring, manufacturer, born in Vermont, Sept. 7, 1804, diedin Plainfield, N.J., June 23, 1881. He was a self made man, who began life a poor lad in Albany, N.Y., as a grocery clerk and for a time conducted a grocery of his own in that city. In 1834, Mr. Herring opened a wholesale grocery store in New York with a partner. They prospered for a time, but were overwhelmed, first, by the great fire of 1835 and two years later by the panic of 1837. In 1840, Mr. Herring met Enos Wilder, who had invented the idea of using plaster of paris as a nonconducting material for lining safes. The fire of 1835 had proved the necessity of safes which not burn. Mr. Herring became Mr. Wilder's agent for the sale of Salamander and, later, purchased the right to manufacture, made many improvements, extended the sales largely, and built extensive works, employing at the time of his death 600 men. He had paid $154,000 in royalties on the Wilder patent up to 1852, when the rights expired. Mr. Herring rose to the foremost rank in his industry. He gained his military title as Colonel of the 5th Art., N. Y. S. M. He served one term as Assistant Alderman of this city, in 1847, and in 1849 was Alderman. He was an incorporator of The New York Juvenile Asylum, and director of The Broadway Bank, The Importers' & Traders' National Bank, The Manhattan Life Insurance Co. and other corporations. Mr. Herring's family consisted of his wife, Caroline S., who was the daughter of Elijah T. Tarbell, and three children, Frank Otis Herring, Marie A., wife of Thomas McCaffery, and Caroline S. wife of Eugene de Kay Townsend.

1925 Meeting Minutes

1915 - 1923 List of Meetings

1918 Meeting Minutes

1919 Meeting Minutes

1920 Meeting Minutes

1918 Meeting Minutes

1918 Lecturer

March 20th Mrs. Gilbert "Pres"
April 10th Mrs. J. P. Stevens ??? Mr. Robert Pyle
April 29th Mrs. Dumont Mrs. Harding or "peonies"
May 8th Mrs. Eddy Mrs. Harrison "Pool & Rock Garden"
May 22. Mr. Norman Taylor (Brooklyn Botanic Gardens) "Wild Flowers of N.J."
June 12 Mr. Chas. Totty Madison, N. J. "Chyrsanthemums"
June 27. Dr. Leonard Plainfield

1919 Lecturer

May 9th Mrs. David K. Knowland Mr. Leonard B?? "Getting back to ??"
May 14. Mrs. Dunbar Mrs. Britton Spring Flower Show
May 28. Mrs. Fisk. Mr. ??? Gardens Past & Present
June 11 Kenyon Gardens. Mr. Cook told of the work ??
June 25 Mrs. Laidlaw. Miss Tabor "The ?? and the Garden"
September 24. Mrs. Ivins. Mr. Totty. "Fall Planting"
October 23. Mr. Baynes at Congregational Family House
(Illustrated_ "Wild Birds & How to Attract Them"

Minutes of the Annual Meeting

The annual meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held at Mrs. Gilbert's, March 20th at half past three o'clock.

The minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved. The Secretary read an account of the year's work, and the treasurer's report, showing a balance of $32.10, which was also accepted.

Mrs. Herring gave an opening address, & Mrs. Hibbard presented the report of the Nominating Committee as follows: For President Mrs. F. O. Herring
Vice-President Mrs. H. N. Stevens
Mrs. J. B. Dumont
Mrs. F. W. Yates
Secretary & Treasurer Mrs. N. H. Morison
Executive Committee Mrs. H. O. Herring
Mrs. N. C. Barnhart
Mrs. W. A. Conner

Motion was carried that the secretary cast one ballot for the entire ticket.

Mrs. Herring made a charming speech of acceptance and Mrs. Warren moved a rising vote of thanks to Mrs. Herring for her work during the past year, and her gracious acceptance of the presidency again.

This season the resignation of Mrs. Ivins was announced, with regret, and also that Mrs. Franics Frost had been elected a member of the club. Plans were discussed for the evening meeting to be held at Mrs. Stevens on April 10th.

Mrs. Harding agreed to give a talk on peonies on April 24th. Motion was carried that only liquid refreshment might be served at meeting. Motion was carried that at the discretion of the Executive Committee one dollar admission might be charged for lecturers, this money to received to be devoted to some patriotic object.

Elizabeth Taliaferro for F. C. A.

Approved April 24th

April 10th 1918

An evening meeting of the Garden Club was held at Mrs. J. P. Stevens on April 10th, to which each member of the club was allowed to bring a guest. Mr. Robert Phyle of West ?? Pa gave an illustrated lecture on "Roses at Home & Abroad." Many beautiful colored pictures were shown, among the most interesting a series taken of an extensive rose garden, outside of Paris, belonging to Monsieur Travereaux.

After the lecture refreshments were served and those present thanked Mrs. Stevens for a very pleasant evening.

Fanny C. Morison, Secy

April 24 1918

A meeting of the Garden Club washeld at the residence of Mrs. Dumont on April 24th. There were 41 members present. The minutes of the previous meeting were read and accepted. The subject of having occasional meetings open to the public was re-discussed. A straw vote showed a large majority opposed to open meetings and it was decided to consider re-seconding the motion in favor of open meetings which was passed at this meeting of the Garden Club on March 25th. It was decided not to issue new booklets this year. The resignation of Mrs. McMillan and Mrs. Zelie were received with regret. Mrs. Pierre Mali and Mrs. Harry McGee were elected to fill the two vacancies. Meetings here-after may be arranged alphabetically. It was decided to continue Mrs. Herring's membership in the Womans Natural Farm & Garden Association and the secretary was instructed to send subscription. The Question of assisting a farm unit during the summer was discussed and a committee will be appointed by Mrs. Herring to decide the matter. It was decided to send flowers during the summer to the Base Hospital at Colonia. Weekly service in charge of a special committee will be arranged.

Mrs. Harding gave a most interesting talk on peonies, after which refreshments were served.
Fanny C. Morison

Approved May 8th


May 8th 1918

On May eighth the Garden Club met at the residence of Mrs. C. B. Eddy.

In the absence of Mrs. Herring, Mrs. Horace Stevens presided, twenty-four members were present. The minutes of the last meeting were read and accepted.

Mrs. Stevens presented a ballot from the Woman's National Farm and Garden Association for election of officers for the coming year. The secretary was instructed to return the ballot as requested to Mrs. Baugo Steward (?) secretary of the association. The question of open meetings was again discussed. Mrs. Foster suggested that members of the club ? it ask the hostess of the occasion for permission to bring a guest, $1 being paid for such privilege. Mrs. Huntington thought the we may ? adopt the plan of the Musical Club and have occasional meetings to where each member might bring a guest.

There being no further business Mr. Harrison gave a very interesting lecture on "Pools and Rock Gardens"

Fanny C. Morison, Sec'y

Accepted May 22nd


May 22nd 1918

On May 22nd the Garden Club met at the residence of Mrs. Mellick. Thirty members were present. Mrs. Herring announced with regret that Mrs. Wilder would not be able to speak to us. Mrs. Wilder sent an invitation to the members of the club to visit her garden near Suffern.

Mrs. Dumont is chairman of the committee to take flowers during June to the Base Hospital at Colonia. Will other ladies please volunteer for the coming wreaths.

There being no further business Mrs. Herring introduced Mr. Norman Taylor of the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. Mr. Taylor gave a most interesting address on "Wild Flower of New Jersey"

Fanny C. Morison

Accepted June 12th

June 12th 1918

The Garden Club met at Miss Van Boskerck's on June 12th. 27 members were present. Minutes of the previous meeting were read and accepted. Mrs. Herring announced that the Kenyon Gardens would like to have gifts of plants. The question of holding a flower show in the fall was discussed. A straw vote showed that most of those present thought that it would take too much time that had better be give to war work.

There being no further business Mrs. Herring introduced Mr. Charles Totty who gave a very interesting and instructive talk on chrysanthemums.

Fanny C. Morison

Accepted June 27th


June 27th 1918

A meeting of the Garden Club was held at Mrs. Ginna's residence on June 27th. Twenty-one members were present. The minutes of the previous meeting were read and accepted.

Mrs. Herring announced that Miss Hyde would have the meeting on the 20th of September and that a dahlia show might be held on that occasion. Exhibitors to be members of the club, and Dr. Leonard. Each member might invite a guest. Further details to be arranged later. There being no further details Mrs. Herring introduced Dr. Leonard who gave an interesting talk on dahlias. The talk proved not only delightful but most instructive and Dr. Leonard having given his afternoon to the club a rising vote of of thanks was given by the members to the speaker for his kindness.

Meeting adjourned.

Fanny C. Morison, Secy

Approved July 17th


July 17, 1918

A meeting of the Garden Club was held at Mrs. Conners July 17th. Fourteen members present. As it was a showery afternoon the meeting took place in the charming drawing room instead of Mrs. Conner's delightful garden. After the minutes of the previous meeting were accepted Mrs. Herring said that there were many matters of interest to the club which could be discussed in an informal way as we had no lecturer. The first matter was the sending of jelly to the Fruit and Flower Mission. A motion was then passed that each member of the club be asked to give two glasses, or more, to the Mission Mrs. Stillman volunteered to cook after the collection & carrying of the jelly. The President spoke of the meeting at Miss Hyde's on Sept. 20th and asked that five dahlias in flower be sent. Mrs. Herring spoke of the advisability of engaging Mr. Ernest Bayers (?) for out October meeting. The price being high it was questionable whether we had better spend a large sum ? the lecture were given for the benefit of the Red Cross. It was then decided to have an August meeting.

Mrs. Herring talked of the advisability of suspending the meetings of the club until the end of the war unless we could do some practical war work. This thought to be kept a the weeds ? of our members until the closing autumn meeting.

A motion was passed that a committee be appointed to take flowers to the hospital until the return of Mrs. Rushmore who has the matter usually in charge the suggested was made that each member having vegetables can ? her more garden showed seed? ? to the Day Nursery. Mrs. Degraff asked for roots & shrubs for the Kenyon Gardens and spoke of the sale of vegetables there during the summer. An appeal was made for extra gifts for the Needlework Quilt & Mrs. Herring askef ro ? old shirts to be made into childrens dresses for the Belgians by a committee at her own house. The meeting then adjourned.

Fanny C. Morison Secy

Accepted Sept 20


September 11th 1918

On Sept. 11th the Garden Club met at Mrs. Stillman's. Minutes of the last meeting were read and accepted. Announcement was made tha the Executive Committee had decided to discontinue the club membership in the Woman's Farm & Garden Association. The Club was then reminded that the next meeting would be a Flower Show at the residence of Miss Helen Hyde, and that each member was requested to bring specimen flowers in containers. Motion was carried that the ? meeting showed be our last until called together again by the Executive Committee. Mrs. Herring gave an interesting account of her visits to the Base Hospital at Colonia where she carried over flowers for the sick and wounded, always in the name of the Garden Club. Mrs. Van Boskerck suggested that cuttings & shrubbery be donated to relieve the barren appearance of the camps near here Motion was carried that Mrs. Herring should appoint a committee to work with her in making gifts of flowers and plants to Hospitals and camps. There being no further business the meeting adjourned.

Fanny C. Morison Sec'y

September 25th 1918

An unusually interesting meeting of the Garden Club was held a Miss Hyde's on September 20th. Twenty-five members were present also many guests invited to enjoy our exhibition of Dahlias. Mrs. Herring opened the meeting and described her visits to the Base Hospital at Colonia, carrying gifts to the soldiers, she also told of taking gifts of flowers to the Public Library.

A motion was carried to thank Mrs. Herring for her work at the Hospital and to ask her to continue her visits there during the winter.

A discussion as to methods of growing Dahlias followed.

The meeting was adjourned as early one was anxious to see the lovely flowers displayed in Miss Hyde's new garden.

Among the exhibits greatly admired were Mrs. Herring's hers showing the greatest variety.

Mrs. Barrows had ? very fine dahlias and there sent by Mrs. Fisk. Mrs. Mellick, Mrs. Connor & Mrs. Dumont were very beautiful and gave pleasure to everyone present.

After enjoying the flowers we were invited into the dining room were delicious refreshments were served and it was generally felt that this our final meeting was one of the pleasantest of the season.

Fanny C. Morison
Secy

Approved November ??


A discussion was held on what would be good work for out Club in the line of "Town Improvement" it was thought to begin with the care of the City Park would be a step in the right direction.

The President will appoint a committee to have the matter in charge. Mrs. Herring spoke of the growth of the work at Raritan, of man of her experiences there, the summer house is completed and furnished. Mrs. Mead has given four large wicker chairs (from the Y.W. C. A. building that is being dismantled at ? Camp) for the use of the convalescing soldiers in the summer house. The Secretary was instructed to send a note of thanks to Mrs. Mead. Committees were appointed for the Flower Show to be held on September 20th.

Mrs. Barrowe Chairman of ??angement of Entries
Mrs. Mellick on same Committee
Mrs. Warren Chairman of Decorating Committee
Mrs. Conner Chairman of Tables for Exhibits
Mrs. Otterson Publicity Chairman
Mrs. Herring said she would ask Dr. Leonard assist in the Classification of Exhibits.

Elizabeth A. Stillman

Film of the Base Hospital at Colonia

Possibly Mrs. Herring pictured in the Base Hospital film

Mrs. Herring

Mrs. Herring

Base Hospital at Colonia

The meeting minutes of 1918 & 1919 reference the Club's volunteer efforts at the Base Hospital at Colonia. In particular, Mrs. Frank Otis (Henrietta or "Etta" B.) Herring, President of the Club from 1915 - 1921.

Here is some history on the Hospital: Colonia's WWI Hospital by Virginia Bergen Troeger

6 Films from the 1918 - 1940 era

One film shows the Base Hospital at Colonia which was only open 1918 to 1919 for 15 months. Woman in the film may be founding member Mrs. Herring.

Woodbridge Avenue Raritan Arsenal

The 1919 - 1920 meeting minutes tell of the Club's involvement at Raritan Arsenal under the Commandant of the camp, Colonel Andrews.

Mrs. Herring was very involved in creating gardens there, including a summer house.

Later, during WWII, the Club also was very active at the Camp.

Former Raritan Arsenal, Raritan Center, Edison, NJ
Closed in the early 1960's, the former Raritan Arsenal in Edison, New Jersey (Now Raritan Center) contains residual contamination from the Army that continues to contaminate the ground water underlying the Site. Herold and Haines, PA, through its lead attorney on the matter, Arthur J. Clarke, Esq., recently won a major settlement with the United States Government to reimburse the property owner its response costs incurred in addressing indoor air, soil, and soil-gas contamination at the facility.

In 2003, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection ("NJDEP") found that the ground water underlying the former Raritan Arsenal had concentrations of VOCs that could potentially impact the indoor air quality in a number of commercial buildings in Raritan Center. The client owned a building in Raritan Center that contained six tenant spaces including a children's Day Care Center. NJDEP ordered that the Day Care Center be closed unless the owner could prove that it was not being impacted by the underlying ground water contamination. NJDEP issued an order to both the property owner and the United States Army Corps of Engineers ("USACE"), who was coordinating the cleanup of the Arsenal. After the USACE denied liability for the contamination, the owner tested the facility on its own, performed an underlying soil and soil-gas investigation, oversaw the design and installation of a soil-gas venting system, and obtained a No Further Action letter from the NJDEP clearing the site.

After coordinating the investigation and cleanup of the Property, the owner, through its environmental counsel, pursued a claim against the USACE for damages. After the USACE denied the owner's notice of claim, the owner administratively appealed the denial. The claim came before special environmental counsel in the US Department of Justice. The claim was settled by the owner's counsel without the need to litigate, saving the client thousands of dollars in potential litigation and trial costs.

FACT Sheet: http://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Portals/37/docs/civilworks/projects/nj/fuds/Raritan/raritan0211.pdf

1915 Meeting Minutes

Plainfield Garden Club
Minutes of regular meetings
May 12, 1915 to March 20, 1918
From its origination

May 12 1915

Minutes of the 1st General Meeting

First general meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held at the home of Mrs. Conner on Wednesday, May 12th at 3.30 o'clock.

President in the chair. Roll call showed 39 members present.

During the meeting rain began to fall to everyones regret making a tour of Mrs. Conner's garden impossible.

A few ? of congratulations on the formation of the Club by the President was followed by some notices given, and request to have members offer to exchange plants when possible.

We then listened to a most comprehensive talk on perennials given by Mr. Maurice Field of New York which was greatly enjoyed and appreciated by the members. He brought specimens of many plants showing how to divide and separate grubs and other garden enemies.

Continued.

All felt stimulated and helped by his talk and as the rain prevented us from going in the garden his lecture of two hours ?? too long.

After a cup of tea the meeting adjourned.

Ella M. Gilbert Secy
Approved.


May 26, 1915

Minutes of the 2nd General Meeting

Second general meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held at the home of Mrs. Barrowe on Wed. May 26th at 3 oclock.

President in the Chair.

Roll call showed 33 members present.

Minutes of previous meeting were read and approved.

Giving to the inclement conditions of the weather the meeting was held indoors. ?? later on the sun came out and a visit to the garden was enjoyed by all.

Mrs. E. Yarde Breeze of Raritan ? Garden Club gave a very delightful paper on foreign gardens.

A letter was read from Mrs. W. S. Tyler giving notice of sale of garden things for the benefit of a young boy that she and some others were especially interested in.

It was noted ?? bring out of town guests and the Hostess. Plainfield friends After enjoying the hospitality of the hostess tea being served the meeting adjourned.

Ella M. Gilbert secy
Approved


June 2 1915

Minutes of the 3rd general meeting

The third general meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held in the garden of Mrs. Dumont on Wednesday June 9th at three oclock.

The president in the chair.

Roll call showed 25 members present. Minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.

Miss R. E. Zimmerman of Brooklyn gave a most interesting and helpful talk in "L?? garden flowers."

It was noted to have a "Bird talk" during the year and also to have Mr. Maurice Field give a course of lectures during our next season beginning in April.

It was a most glorious June day and the garden most beautiful which was enjoyed and appreciated by those present who strolled about among the flowers. Tea was served in the tea house. The meeting then adjourned.

Ella M. Gibert Secy
Approved

June 23 -1915

Minutes of the 4th general meeting

The fourth general meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held in the garden of Mrs. Runkle, on Wednesday June 23rd at 3 oclock.

The president in the chair.

Roll call showed 25 members present.

Minutes of the former meeting were read and approved.

Mrs. L. A. Brown of Shedvira?? Garden Club Garden City L. I. read a most useful and interesting paper on color harmony in gardens she also answered very pleasantly all questions asked regarding plants and flowers.


July 14 1915

Minutes of the 5th General Meeting of the Garden Club was held on July 14 in the garden of Mrs. Fleming.

The day was a perfect summer one and we were addressed by Mr. L. V. F. Randolph who read an original paper on "What Some Plants Feel and Think."

An interesting discussion followed after which we took a stroll in Mrs. Fleming's charming garden and then were refreshed with fruit punch and cakes served under a ?? on the lawn. After a delightful afternoon meeting adjourned.


Ella M. Gilbert Secy
Per H. B. H.


September 15 1915

Minutes of the 5th General Meeting of the Garden Club

A regular meeting of the Garden Club was held at the delightful farm of Mrs. Eaton on Valley Road, on Wednesday, Sept. 15th. The President presiding.

In the absence of the Secy, Mrs. Patterson called the roll and heard the minutes of the last regular meeting. The Pres. Welcomed the members of the Club after the separation of the summer & suggested that some slight expression of gratitude for the please we had enjoyed at the Garden Club meetings or shown by a gift of 100 glasses of jelly to the Fruit & Flower ?ision. This idea was approved by the members present in that 2 glasses of fruit jelly from each member may be sent to the house of the Pres. For this purpose. A letter was read from Mr. Chester Jay Hunt extending a warm invitation to the Garden Club to visit his tulip gardens next spring and make a picnic of the day there. We then listened to a delightful talk on "Roses" by Mr. Geo. H. Peterson of Fair Lawn, N. J. and were afterwards ?? with fruit punch and cakes in an arbor on the grounds.

A visit to the farm buildings & flower garden brought to a ?? a delightful day.

Ella M. Gilbert Secy
From H. B. H.


September 22 1915

Minutes of the 7th General Meeting of the Garden Club

A regular meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held at the Bungalow of Mrs. Mellick on Wednesday Sept. 22nd at three o'clock.

Mrs. E. J. Patterson acting as Sec'y in the absence of Mrs. Gilbert.

The afternoon was given up to a talk on "Birds in Our Gardens" by Mr. Bucher S. Bowdish Secty v ?? of the ?? State Audubon Society of was felt greatly moved by the pleasure of Mrs. William Dra??? Who has done so much for the conservation of Bird Life in America. The Club was entertained delightfully by Mrs. Mellick after which we adjourned.

Ella M. Gilbert Secy
Per H. B. H.


Oct 13 1915

Minutes of the 8th General Meeting of the Garden Club

A regular meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held at the residence of Mrs. H. N. Stevens on Wednesday Oct 13th at 3 o'clock. Pres. In chair. After roll call & minutes of last meeting read to approved, a letter was read from our lecturer on "Birds" of the meeting before. Minutes were approved by two of the members. The day was like one in June and all enjoyed the interchange of ideas and the informal talk of our garden troubles. The lecturer of the day was Mr. Otto Shilow Sec'y & Treas. Of the Duer ? Co. who gave us a most instructive and helpful talk on "the care of our gardens." All had so many questions to ask that after a long ?? it was difficult for Mr. Shilow to get a cup of tea before his departure for Philadelphia.

All expressed the wish that we might have the pleasure of having him again. After a social gathering about Mrs. Stevens tea table, the club adjourned.

Ella M. Gilbert, Secy
Per H. B. H.


NOTE: This next entry follows in the order the Meeting Minute notebook was photographed, however the date is "1916" not sure if this entry is from 1916 or was not recorded correctly as "1915" which seems unlikely.


Oct. 27, 1916

Minutes of the 9th General Meeting of the Garden Club

A regular meeting of the Plainfield Garden Club was held at the residence of Mrs. E. F. Barrowe on Wednesday Oct. 24? At 3 o'clock.

The Pres. In the chair. After the roll call and the minutes of the previous meeting read & approved, the Pres. Brought up the subject of the mid winter lecture, to be held in the evening and for which an admission should be charged.

After some discussion it was decided to have Mr. Shilow give his illustrated lecture "Flowers From Snow to Snow" admission to be 50 center and each member to be responsible for two tickets.

The time and place was left to be determined.

The Pres. Expressed our great sorrow in the death of Mrs. Louis Hyde the members of the Club all standing and moved that a note of condolence be sent to Mr. Hyde and his family.

The Pres. Announced that Mrs. Ackerman and Mrs. Ivins had provided a lecture from Mr. Field for the . . . instead of having a meeting of their homes this year. He then spoke to us on "Bulbs.: Late in the afternoon tea was served & the meeting adjourned.

Lucy Van Boskerck
Secy pro tem

1915 - 1918 Meeting Minutes

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Crescent Area Historic District

Post Office: Plainfiled
Zip: 07060

WHAT'S NEAR
Hillside Avenue Historic District
Van Wyck Brooks Historic District

The Crescent Area Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Portions of the text below were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [] Adaptation copyright 2013, The Gombach Group.

Prior to the arrival of the white man, the Lenni-Lenape Indians, part of the Algonquin Tribe, lived in this area of New Jersey. The Ice Age had endowed this area with a protective terrain, productive farmlands and forests and "wonderful pure air and springs." Indian trails became the highways and streets still in use in Plainfield today.Watchung Avenue located in the heart of the Crescent Area Historic District was once one of those trails. Remains of an Indian village and burial grounds have been found in the locality of First, Second and Third Place which are within the boundaries of the Crescent Avenue Historic District.

The first white settlers from Scotland and Holland arrived in the area in the 1680's. The first permanent settler was Thomas Gordon whose home was on Cedarbrook Road adjacent to Crescent Avenue, and whose land holdings covered most of what is present-day Plainfield. The enthusiastic letters back home detailing the healthful climate, plentiful game, fish and fowl, good soil and water brought other settlers to New Jersey, in spite of the "Flee by the salt marshes, most troublesome in the summer." These elements continued through the years to attract new residents.

During the Revolutionary War, patriots from area families served in militia regiments as foot soldiers and officers. An important battle, the Battle of the Short Hills, was fought in the area in June of 1777 and was instrumental in repelling the British in New Jersey. Some of the homes of those who supported the cause of the Revolution still exist today: The Drake House Museum, where Washington rested and briefed his officers, and the Vermule Homestead, where the officers were quartered.
Following the war, industry and transportation began to grow and take on added importance, contributing to the economic prosperity. Plainfield became officially recognized on April 1, 1800 with a population of 215. The Gordon Gazetteer in 1834 gave a glowing account of all the rich resources in Plainfield and noted that "the society is moral and religious."

It was in Plainfield in 1847 that the model for the public school system for the state was devised. Through the efforts of Dr. Charles H. Stillman, Plainfield physician, the New Jersey Legislature empowered the city to raise money by taxation in order to establish a public school system. An account of the day declares, "No one can measure the effect of this enlightened policy in extending the fame of the city and building up its prosperity." Many of the people who were active in education and cultural activities lived within the bounds of the Crescent Area Historic District.

The most influential force to the development of Plainfield was the railroad, which brought about a change in the social and economic character of the town. When a direct connection was made between Plainfield and New York City, c.1850, Plainfield became a commuter town.

During the Civil War, many local residents were involved in the fighting. General Sterling, a general on McCleland's staff, built his home and settled on First Place after the War.

Job Male, a philanthropist, who became known as "Plainfield's Grand Old Man", settled in Plainfield in 1867, following the Civil War. An inventor, he had simplified the loading of ferry slips with a patented leveling device. He purchased with Evan Jones, twenty four acres of land "in the suburbs and laid it out in village lots and streets and erected twenty substantial residences of fine architectural design, drawing the plans for them all himself." He was his own contractor and owned a greater part of the land that includes Crescent Avenue and Watchung Avenue. He designed a particularly distinctive style of architecture "stucco-walled, Mansard roofed, still standing today." He continued to build homes in different parts of the city until his possessions included more than one hundred Plainfield houses. His obituary notice in 1891 noted that "his purse always ready to respond to the calls of deserving charity." He was a public benefactor, making possible the Public Library and the Job Male Art Gallery, and donating the land for the hospital, the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Church.

A Central New Jersey Times account in 1870 of "Our Town Improvements" wrote, "The improvements in building is the expression of a spirit that leads to progressive movements in other directions. The old houses are not recognizable with tints of brown and cream and olive, their plain roofs metamorphosed by pediments, fancy gables and cornices, their primitive simplicity converted into modern beauty by wings, bay windows, recessed projections and every variety of architectural development." The writer further comments on the "new houses, with their aspiring towers, French roofs and cupolas." It was the kind of community that led the Elizabeth Herald in May of 1888 to write, "The bustling activity of the city of Plainfield...is remarkable." And to conclude, "The next move in Plainfield, no doubt, will be the horse cars."
Plainfield had become a fashionable summer resort and eventually attracted many wealthy New York businessmen to settle here year 'round. The Gas Light Age evokes memories of Plainfield with theatricals, minstrel shows, roller rinks and other forms of entertainment. The site of many hotels, the Netherwood was reputed to be one of the "most healthful, comfortable and accessible inland summer resorts in the country."

By 1890, with substantial wealth and improvements, Plainfield continued to advance and prosper, attracting people of substance to live here. As successful businessmen and their families settled in the Crescent Avenue area, they became active in the cultural, religious, and educational affairs of the city. James W. Jackson, William D. Murray both served as presidents of the newly-formed YMCA. Henry C. Squires established the Hope Chapel on January 1, 1888 as a branch of the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. Augustus Baldwin worked closely with Job Male in establishing the first free public library and the art gallery. In 1883 some of the first subscribers to "the last word in modern efficiency," the telephone, lived in the District: George Goddard, F.O. Herring, Leander Lovell, and the Dumond family. Many served as members of the Common Council.

After Job Male's death, Plainfield continued to be a highly desirable neighborhood and remained that way until the 1930's, when many of the large homes were converted to apartments. This process continues with single family residences almost non-existent today. The alterations for the most part are tastefully done and are not detrimental to the basic style and charm of the original building. This makes for a particularly fine collection of buildings appropriate to an Historic District.
Notes on Recollections of Long-time Residents of the Area
Longtime residents of Plainfield have been interviewed regarding their recollections of famous residents of this area. Those persons interviewed were Mrs. Lawrence Heely, Mrs. Henry Noss, Mrs. Dorothy Wills, Mrs. Helen Mygatt, Mr. John Harmon, Miss Gwen Cochran, Mrs. Dorothy DeHart, Miss Dorothy Leal, Mr. Alfred Genung, Mr. Alex Kroll, Mr. A.L.C. Marsh, Mrs. Hendrick Van Oss and others.

Many people have lived there who were outstanding in cultural fields, education and politics, as well as very successful professional and business men, active both locally and in New York City. Also educators and statesmen lived here.

John Carlson, a renown artist and member of the National Academy lived on 3rd Place as did Alex Seidel who achieved international fame for his designs for Steuben Glass. Another prominent artist who lived here was Thomas Hart Benton whose brother lived for many years on Crescent Avenue. Also William Gilbert, a well known illustrator, lived on Crescent Avenue.

The author of the White Cliffs of Dover, Alice Duer Miller, A. Van Dorn Honeyman, the famous historian, lived on 9th Street, and also Van Wyk Brooks another well-known author. Ernest Ackerman, a representative in U.S. Congress in the 1870's and his brother Marion Ackerman, who lived on Crescent Avenue, founded the Lone Star Cement Company and were deeply involved in many large national important financial and industrial enterprises.

The famous opera singer, Mario Caruso, married a Goddard and was frequently a visitor to Plainfield to the Goddard House at 213 East 9th Street. This family had a profound influence on the musical advancement of the entire area.

The area abounded in lawyers, judges and politicians, including four Mayors of Plainfield, and people in the foreign service for 25 years, such as Hendrick Van Oss, most recently served as ambassador to Madagascar and other countries.

The Crescent Avenue area was truly the heart of the town and boasted the most important and influential people of the period 1860 through 1920. The homes of these people reflect their taste, affluence and are a tangible piece of architectural history reflecting a glorious past.

Summary
The Crescent Area Historic District is a great deal more than a lot of old houses. It is probably one of the finest collections of Victorian architecture in the country. The term Victorian is all inclusive and embraces numerous styles that echo tastes and decorative devices of other periods of architecture from other countries and other times than the one in which the present buildings were constructed. The majority of these have what in architectural terms is referred to as Italianate which stems from the architectural styles popular in Italy going back as far as Byzantine derivative styles, and 15th century Venetian palaces. These variety of design styles result in the sudden surge of interest in European cultures and an attempt by the suddenly successful and new class of wealthy businessmen who were anxious to reflect their success in the work of finance in their homes. These interests were stimulated by their travels abroad and what they had seen, which was considered elegant. Thus we have Tuscan towers, Italian villas, Palazzo's with loggia and arcaded window and arches, Renaissance, Egyptian motifs, classical elements, and finally the exuberant eclectic styles throwing the more American traits of Carpenter Gothic and Stick style in for good measure. English architecture is also reflected with half timber, projecting gables, Eastlake influence, Queen Anne and Edwardian styles. The detail photos of these buildings reflect the painstaking craftsmanship of the builders and imaginative design abilities of the architects. It is truly a tangible record of the past which should be preserved as close to its original state as practical, in their new role of many being converted for multi-family use.

The Crescent Area Historic District is one of the finest collections of suburban Victorian architecture in New Jersey. Developed as a speculative real estate venture in the 1870's by Job Male, the buildings are an impressive presentation of Italianate and Second Empire style architecture of the mid to late 19th century. The houses were primarily designed for wealthy businessmen and, consequently, visages within the district still retain a fine elegance in their total ambiance of buildings and their association with landscaping, rustic streets, sidewalks, and trees.

References
Blumenson, John J.G. Identifying American Architecture
Central New Jersey Times, 1870-1885.
Clayton, W. Woodford. History of Union & Middlesex Counties, 1882.
Cochran, Jean Carter. The History of Crescent Avenue Church
The Courier News, History of Plainfield, 1964.
The Courier News, November 1-4-8, 1954.
Devlin, Harry. To Grandfather's House We Go.
Downey, Andrew Jackson. The Architecture of Country Houses.
The Drake House Museum & The Plainfield Public Library, Scrapbooks and Files.
Dunham, F.A. Atlas City of Plainfield and Boro of North Plainfield, 1894.
Fitzgerald & Co. (Pub.). Springfield, Massachusetts, Plainfield City Directory, 1876-7.
Gowans, Alan. Images of American Living.
Honeyman, A. Van Dorn. History of Union County, Volumes I, II, & III.
Lapsley, Howard G. History of Plainfield, 1942.
League of Women Voters. This is Plainfield, 1954.
McCabe, Wayne. Historic Tour – Plainfield, N.J.
Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce, Plainfield Area, N.J.
Pub. by Plainfield Courier News. Plainfield & Vicinity in Pictures, 1926.
Plainfield Daily Press, Friday & Saturday, January 30, 31, 1891.
Plainfield Evening News, Saturday, May 23, 1888.
Plainfield & North Plainfield City Directory, 1879-80.
Plainfield & North Plainfield City Directory, 1894-5.
Pratt, Dorothy & Richard, A Guide to Early American Homes.
Smiley, F.T. History of Plainfield, 1891.
Charles H. Detwiller, Jr., A.I.A., Architect and Marilyn Rupp, Architectural Historian, Crescent Area Historic District, Union County, New Jersey, nomination document, 1979, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.

Crescent Avenue Historic District

Crescent Avenue Historic District form for the National Register of Historic Places

811 Third Place
c. 1880
50' x 129'
house size: 26' x 20'

Front porch with Doric columns – porch railing converted to a bulkhead.
Stucco over brick
Architectural style: farmhouse
In 1894, the home of Joseph W. Gavett, "crockery, china, and glass"
Bracketed cornice – half round arch window in the gable pediment – canopy head windows with small supporting brackets. Flat roof extension at the rear.

Two apartments – eight rooms.

The cement base to the porch and the addition of the bulkhead are not in keeping with the period of the house. The unfortunate bright blue trim color selection affects the visual quality of the house. However, it is another example of early farmhouse style pre-dating the overall development of the area.

1921 House & Garden

America's Successful Men of Affairs

Col. Silas Clark Herring

America's Successful Men of Affairs

September 11, 2013 "September Charms" Horticulture Show

Woman's National Farm and Garden Association - 1918 - ‎World War, 1914-1918

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Monday Afternoon Club Membership

Rhoda Culbertson Herring

Rhoda Culbertson (Herrring)
Birthdate: May 28, 1885
Birthplace: Belvidere, NJ, USA
Death: (Date and location unknown)
Immediate Family:
Ex-wife of Dr George D Herring
Mother of George DeWitt Herring, III and Marion Herring
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated: July 18, 2014

Marion Culbertson Robinson

Marion Herring
Found 10 Records, 8 Photos and 739,184 Family Trees
Born in Plainfield, New Jersey, USA on 1912 to George DeWitt Herring and Rhoda Culbertson. Marion married W Tate Robinson.